Headed goals

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Obviously our shitness at corners is basically a meme by now but watching Ronaldo miss two glorious chances to score with his head last night got me wondering have we ever gone this far in a season with so few headed goals?

Elanga got that weird one against Brentford where he flicked it up first but I can’t think of any others?

How do we compare with other teams?

In what season did we score the most headed goals?

Which team is the most dangerous in the air right now? Ever?

Headers.

arnie_ni

Cavani hasn't scored any this season from memory either, crazy season all round.

Smores

I tend to think people over estimate how many headed chances should go in. It's one thing nailing the leap but the ball has to be just right before you even get to placement.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're below most of our rivals though. Our crossing in general is poor.

Terry Chango

Obviously our shitness at corners is basically a meme by now but watching Ronaldo miss two glorious chances to score with his head last night got me wondering have we ever gone this far in a season with so few headed goals?

Elanga got that weird one against Brentford where he flicked it up first but I can’t think of any others?

How do we compare with other teams?

In what season did we score the most headed goals?

Which team is the most dangerous in the air right now? Ever?

Headers.
Not very well :(

Headed goals in the league only according to the premier league official website.

1. City 10
2. Pool 9
3. Chelsea 9

15. United 3

Then 5 teams with two for the season so far

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
According to whoscored Liverpool, Chelsea and City have 9 headed goals each, we have 2.

Liverpool 14 set piece goals, us 2.

Our games would be a lot easier if we were even half as competent at corners etc as other teams.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not very well :(

Headed goals in the league only according to the premier league official website.

1. City 10
2. Pool 9
3. Chelsea 9

15. United 3

Then 5 teams with two for the season so far
According to whoscored Liverpool, Chelsea and City have 9 headed goals each, we have 2.

Liverpool 14 set piece goals, us 2.

Our games would be a lot easier if we were even half as competent at corners etc as other teams.
Thanks. Jesus that’s bad.

I reckon we could be on for our worst tally ever by the end of the season. Which is nuts considering how many players in our team are very tall and/or good in the air.

A bit of googling reveals that Dwight Yorke once scored 8 headed goals in a single season.

CloneMC16

It wasn't in the league, but McT got one from a Fred cross against Villa in the FAC. We should have scored more this season, but the delivery is usually really poor. None of our fullbacks have crossed well this season, and most of our corners are hitting the first man. It doesn't help things.

Donut

Varane’s wrongfully disallowed one was a beauty.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Another one from a corner tonight for Liverpool. Changing a game they were second best.

lex talionis

Pure speculation, but it may be that United don’t emphasize heading chances in training. Strange, for obvious reasons.

lost7

The shocking thing is we have Maguire, Varane, Ronaldo, McTominay etc who should all be good at scoring headers. But we're so shyte

Terry Chango

I reckon we could be on for our worst tally ever by the end of the season. Which is nuts considering how many players in our team are very tall and/or good in the air.

A bit of googling reveals that Dwight Yorke once scored 8 headed goals in a single season.
He scored the same for villa in a season once also. I definitely knew this without finding it out via Google.

Beckham delivery for all 8 at Utd.Probably not but that’s how i remember it :drool:

432JuanMata

The shocking thing is we have Maguire, Varane, Ronaldo, McTominay etc who should all be good at scoring headers. But we're so shyte
Our delivery is poor add in the fact Maguire is good at winning headers but useless at directing them

RedDevil@84

Isn't Maguire just rumored to be good at heading? Or is it an actual stat?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
We’ve only scored 1 in the league this season, right? Elanga’s against Brentford?

McT in the cup vs Villa
Ronaldo vs Atalanta

Anymore ?

Robertd0803

Funny thing is Maguire seems to score for fun from corners for England.

(He doesnt but I always think hes much more dangerous at corners for England).

Ibi Dreams

I feel like Rooney must have got even more than that in 09/10? My prevailing memory is of him heading in about 10 Valencia crosses

AussieDevil

It’s kinda crazy when you think of the players we have. Ronaldo is probably the greatest header of the ball of all time. Then you have Cavani, Maguire, Varane and that’s not to mention the likes of McTominay who is very very tall.

romufc

Its a matter of delivery. Sancho when he played on the right crossed a few good ones early on in the season. Unfortunately, our RW's RB cannot cross and our LB takes years to look up and try cross.

It is also down to poor finishing, Bruno put 2 on Ronaldo's head, Maguire has missed a couple.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Telles and Dalot basically just spam lofted crosses into a general area so I'm not surprised. We've missed a couple of headed sitters but for the most part it's crap delivery.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Ronaldo is usually marked by two players so it's tricky getting the ball on his head. Players need to run in between the gaps but neither our wingers nor bruno are particularly good at heading so it kinda figures.

Corners are a different story. We just suck.

Lentwood

It's been something I have found strange for a while actually. We never seem to score 'cheap' goals.

The set-piece issues we have are obviously well advertised, but perhaps not enough is made of the impact literally never scoring from a set-piece has on our points total. How many times have you seen a team play fairly average but nick it on a set-piece? Or, play for an hour in an even game, nick a goal at a set-piece and go on to win 3-0 when the game opens up?

Secondly, we never seem to score any tap-in's from balls rolled across the box, headers or deflections. I'm not sure why, it doesn't make much sense. I would guess the fact that we ask our defenders to make 'underlapping' runs somewhat limits our potential for headed goals, but I worry that we're trying to score 'perfect' goals instead of just playing the percentages.

I don't want to come across all 'David Moyes vs Fulham" here, but we turn down too many good, early crossing opportunities. How often do we get the ball in a crossing position, only to just roll it back to the fullback, who passes it into McFred, who give it away or pass it backwards? First-time crosses should always be attempted, they are so difficult to defend against and a CFs dream. Plus, if it's only half-cleared, you get to keep the pressure on and recycle another attack.

Terry Chango

No only one in the league this season
This isn’t correct. Some of us went to to the effort of checking the stats out and posted them above :lol: Jesus

According to prem league website we’ve scored 3 in the league. Two scored by Elanga and one by Donny against Watford.

Our crossing is generally poor. We have possibly the best headerer (is that a word) the world has ever seen, and he's on 1 goal. That shows you the scale of the problem.

AWB and Shaw can't cross. Dalot can but is wildly inconsistent with it. Only Telles can cross, but Ole wouldn't play him and now he keeps getting Covid.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This isn’t correct. Some of us went to to the effort of checking the stats out and posted them above :lol: Jesus

According to prem league website we’ve scored 3 in the league. Two scored by Elanga and one by Donny against Watford.
That’s the one! Was wracking my brains for the third headed goal.

So crazy that we’re half way thru February, have a team full of very tall players and the only headers have been scored by Elanga and Donny.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Our crossing is generally poor. We have possibly the best headerer (is that a word) the world has ever seen, and he's on 1 goal. That shows you the scale of the problem.

AWB and Shaw can't cross. Dalot can but is wildly inconsistent with it. Only Telles can cross, but Ole wouldn't play him and now he keeps getting Covid.
Are you including CL? He’s zero in the league.

Bruno seems to be the only player consistently putting decent crosses into the box, with Ronaldo consistently missing them.

CloneMC16

Dalot hasn't put one good cross in the box all season. He can't cross for shit.

Are you including CL? He’s zero in the league.

Bruno seems to be the only player consistently putting decent crosses into the box, with Ronaldo consistently missing them.
He scored one against Atlanta.

Most of our crosses are lopped in with little pace, like Bruno's against Brighton that Ronaldo nearly scored. We never fire them in early with pace and those are the easiest to score as all you need to do is put direction on them. Slower crosses require more precision as well as some pace added to them.