Hear a 3000-year-old Egyptian mummy

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

When Egyptian priest Nesyamun died more than 3,000 years ago his departing wish was that he be allowed to speak in the afterlife so he could address his gods, and be granted entry into eternity.

Now, with the help of science, the holy man has indeed found his voice after death.

Academics at Royal Holloway, University of London, University of York and Leeds Museum scanned the mummy of Nesyamum, 3D printed his vocal tract then played soundwaves through it to create an impression of how the priest might have sounded.

So far, the only noise they’ve created is a nondescript bleat, sounding something like ‘beh’ but the researchers are hoping to use computer modelling to recreate words and even sentences.

The experts said it allowed people to ‘make direct contact with ancient Egypt by listening to a sound from a vocal tract that has not been heard for over 3000 years.’

And they want to eventually try the technique on other famous ‘heads’, and bring back the voices of notable figures.

binary bot
I always find myself sceptical of science based around things that are thousands/millions of years old, that isnt strictly dna related. Maybe ignorance but the certainies at which things are talked about always seem to good to be true.

cyberman

At what point does this shit become disrespectful to the dead?
Cant wait until i become a hand puppet 3000 years from now

United58

I always find myself sceptical of science based around things that are thousands/millions of years old, that isnt strictly dna related. Maybe ignorance but the certainies at which things are talked about always seem to good to be true.
I remember reading up on DNA after reading Jurassic Park and apparently DNA can only survive for a maximum of 500,000 years? Could be wrong though

Siorac

At what point does this shit become disrespectful to the dead?
Cant wait until i become a hand puppet 3000 years from now
They're dead, they don't care.

I'd be fecking thrilled to know that 3000 years from now someone will try to reconstruct how my voice sounded. But I'll be dead so I won't care.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Have we signed Bruno yet?"

SteveJ

Scout

SteveJ

Scout
"Where's my bloody royalties, Cruise?"

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I remember reading up on DNA after reading Jurassic Park and apparently DNA can only survive for a maximum of 500,000 years? Could be wrong though
im not sure of the exact dates involved, but one of the challenges of mapping early human evolution is getting DNA of sufficient quality.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's good to be sceptical in general about everything.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Thats correct as far as I understand. Even in ideal conditions, DNA will start to break down by itself. I.e. it has a half life.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Best to leave the dead alone.

Also, imagine being the patient using that MRI scanner after this.