Heaven Draft: QF - NM vs Skizzo

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
NM

Skizzo

NM Tactics

Write up:
Team Theme :
Free flowing Football with a couple of nasty b******s who can fight

Defense: G. Buffon is an all time GK. In front, Ramos and Chumpitaz complement each other. Ramos is the destroyer while Chumpitaz has great abilities reading the game. On the right flank, Marzolini will be defensively focused to account for Ronaldo, while Kaltz on the other flank will be focused on dropping the ball on Ronaldo and van Basten's head - a good path to goal for me.

Midfield: Makelele is the engine. He will cover for Koeman if needed but otherwise focus on keeping it simple and stopping attacks. Didi will be the deep lying playmaker with license to be the box to box role he did his entire career and Laudrup will be the orchestrator - which he does so well.

Attack: Jairzihnho will benefit from Kaltz's threat and play his usual role. Same for Ronaldo (Madrid LW version) and van Basten. Laudrup, Jairzinho, Didi and Kaltz will be the primary providers and I fully expect van Basten and Ronaldo to smash goals in.

The idea behind the team is to have a free flowing attacking unit but with a few with defined roles (Makelele, Ramos, Marzolini) to ensure there is steel and structure.

Skizzo Tactics

Formation: 4-2-3-1

The name of the game is movement and overloading areas of the pitch. With Beckenbauer and Platini, there's two masters of the game at dropping deep, or pushing up the pitch, in order to create chances and overload areas to provide an advantage. Beckenbauer would be at home with Kohler next to him, and Gentile tucking in to provide cover when he forays forward to add numbers to the midfield and push on into the attack. Platini has movement and top playmakers around him to provide him opportunity to drop deeper and dictate as he sees fit. With goals, creativity, and physicality in abundance, we'd look to be a tough team to break down defensively, and then use the movement throughout the attack to open spaces for Platini and Beckenbauer to run the attacking game. Mbappe comes in to add another direct goal threat alongside Romario and his pace and link up play would cause all sorts of problems.

Goal Threat: Romario, Platini, Mbappe // Secondary: Gascoigne
Playmakers: Platini, Figo, Beckenbauer // Secondary: Gascoigne, Mbappe

We'd look to make things difficult defensively with a lot of hard-working, defensively solid players throughout the team, all of which would put in an effort. Offensively, I feel the movement we have, and an abundance of creativity from back to front, we'd have too many avenues to shut out.

Himannv

Marginally giving this one to NM. Both midfields feel a bit gung-ho to me, but Makelele probably balances it better than Tardelli. I'm surprised Dunga didn't start for Skizzo.

Skizzo

Marginally giving this one to NM. Both midfields feel a bit gung-ho to me, but Makelele probably balances it better than Tardelli. I'm surprised Dunga didn't start for Skizzo.
I do think our midfield is better equipped to take control of the game though. We’ll get better support defensively from the wing and Romario, and when we have the ball, Beckenbauer stepping up creates a numerical advantage which was his specialty. With Platini dropping deeper to draw Makelele out, I preferred having midfielders here who could run beyond to help create that overload because I think Chumpitaz/Ramos would already have a hard time with Romario and Mbappe, and that’s before you add Gascoigne, Figo, Platini etc pushing on.

Our defense is also better equipped to handle the opposition than vice versa with Gentile tucking in, and Kohler/Beckenbauer centrally.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think NM's balance is off. If Didi played today he would most likely be as the most advanced in a midfield 3. It worked for Brazil in 58 but they had Mario Zagallo patrolling the left wing and helping out; CR7 won't. I can his midfield being overrun a bit against Tardelli and Gascoigne.

Skizzo could do with a more attacking LB and probably a DM, but the overall chemistry works.

Himannv

I think NM's balance is off. If Didi played today he would most likely be as the most advanced in a midfield 3. It worked for Brazil in 58 but they had Mario Zagallo patrolling the left wing and helping out; CR7 won't. I can his midfield being overrun a bit against Tardelli and Gascoigne.

Skizzo could do with a more attacking LB and probably a DM, but the overall chemistry works.
I feel if he played today he'd be more like an Eriksen. Basically, he'd start off his career like an AM but eventually, he becomes that player who drops a bit deeper to get on the ball and who benefits by having a little bit more time to make the right play with options in front of him/alongside him. Anyway, I'm saying this based on very little that I've seen so take it with a pinch of salt.