• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
TEAM GIO

SHIFT TO 4-3-1-2

Charlton's success for England in 1966 and Diego's success with Napoli in the mid-to-late 1980s have informed the design of this shape:

Both Bobby Charlton and Diego Maradona should be at home in a system that allows them both to dictate centrally and move wide. Alongside them Ferenc Puskas is introduced into the attack. He is one of the greatest goalscorers of all time with an almost unparalleled 806 goals in 793 games including 84 in 85 international matches. Not only that but he was one of the greatest strike partners of all with his overall average of 1.48 goals + assists per match unlikely to be ever beaten. He showed in the unforgiving environment of the Bernabeu that he could excel next to a dominant ego in Di Stefano. Maradona's overall roaming movement should enable him to buzz around Puskas who, will put away any chances that come his way, but, as we've seen, will be equally happy to set up his strike partner.

The midfield comes to life in this shape. Paul Brietner, Johan Neeskens and Charlton could all feasibily rotate and take turns in the different roles. Each can drive forward to create and score, and off the ball, there is plenty of graft particularly from Breitner and Neeskens to consolidate the centre of the park. Neatly, both Breitner, who won a World Cup at left-back, and Neeskens, who won a European Cup at right-back, can drop in to cover for Facchetti and Cafu accordingly without missing a beat. With our attacking full-backs stretching the play, all of this should create plenty of fluid attacking movement that will be difficult to defend against.

While the midfield offers top-level protection, the defence holds its own. Gaetano Scirea is in command - he has Voronin just ahead to protect and cover - and has a classic stopper in Costacurta who, used to getting ordered about by Baresi, will be in familiar territory. Both full backs are from the top shelf in Cafu and Facchetti, solid defensively, and ask the sort of questions that decide matches through their two-way games.

TEAM ISOTOPE

Isotope Tactic

An attractive team play, 4-3-3 hybrid to 4-5-1 that can dominate the game. The Team combines dynamic attack, creative midfield, and rock solid defence. With a final touch of Sepp Maier that won 3 times German Footballer of the Year in the times of Beckenbauer & Müller.

In attack, a combination of flamboyance, creativity, and pace of George Best and Eusebio (301 goals in 317 games for Benfica), mixed with lethal finishing of Gerd Muller (563 goals in 605 for Bayern). Muller as fox in the box, Eusebio’s long shot, and Best trickery will unlock any defence. The dynamic duo of Best and Eusebio that can switch sides and attack from every side of the pitch, makes the opponents’ head spinning with guessing.

Supplying from midfield is the combo of Luis Suarez Miramontes, Paulo Roberto Falcao, and Matthias Sammer. With Suarez orchestrating the midfield, Falcao will provide the hub with adding creativity, there are more than enough supply to attack, where Best and Eusebio also love to pick up ball from midfield. Sammer is at home marshalling the defensive phase.

Defense has Karlheinz H. Forster and Marcel Desailly, recognized as two of the best stoppers of all time. Desailly is not just a stopper, but also a good passer (see clip below). They are accompanied by two balanced fullbacks in Nilton Santos and Eric Gerets (as the more attacking side) that provide width when needed.

Why this Team should win?

Except Gio, who wants to watch boring 5-3-2? Mine is a guaranteed entertainment from minute one to the end.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Hmm... I kinda preferred Henry there even though I consider Puskás to be a better player. There's just something about his pace & Maradona's playmaking that felt so natural while with Puskás it just doesn't. Especially since peak Puskás would also drop into Charlton/Maradona's spaces from time to time.

The midfield battle is going to be brutal though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Both teams seem to have upgraded in unexpected ways. Not sure what to make of it tbh.
Blame Sjor because we HAVE to play 2 players we got in the last round. Anyway, I kinda like this one with more variety (:drool:)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Feel the same as harms & Himann, I kind of liked both offensive units better in the QF.

As teams are now, I prefer Himann's front three and Gio's midfield. The latter is excellent, both for the players and overall cohesion.

Not sure yet who to vote for.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Don't think either team is really better than what they were last round. Must have been a bizarre reinforcement criteria!

Edging towards Iso for now. His attack looks more cohesive and midfield has enough flair to thread opportunities to them.

Both Puskas and Maradona shine will ball at their feet. A more Kocsis type complimentary player would be better with either of them than them together.

Himannv

Voting for Isotope here.

I'm not as convinced by the synergy of Gio's frontline as I was in previous rounds (probably because I haven't watched enough of Puskas to understand how he plays off the ball). Henry looked a better fit.