Heavy Training Sessions

Xaviboy

Ole and Co must of had the players training like in kids summer camps. Dribble to cone and leave ball there and another player fetch it type stuff.

1st full week under new manager/coach and players wrecked. Not use to hard work some of them players.

Shock to the system for them I'd say.

ClosetDevil

I love the implication that footballers simply choose to play well or not.
Not going to be jebaited by this. As others have already alluded, it's not about playing well or not, it's about playing per the manager's instructions which they clearly didn't. Ralf said so himself in his post-match interview on SKY.

Daengophile

If we have players giving away possession as cheaply as we did, an early morning session next day will help the focus

Superden

the forums been full of complaints about the players mentality, or for want of a better word - bottle, for the last 5yrs plus. its not the first time weve come up against a relative minnow who have treated the game as their cup final and our lot havent been able to raise their game to counter it. tackling that is RRs biggest challenge.

lex talionis

the forums been full of complaints about the players mentality, or for want of a better word - bottle, for the last 5yrs plus. its not the first time weve come up against a relative minnow who have treated the game as their cup final and our lot havent been able to raise their game to counter it. tackling that is RRs biggest challenge.
I completely agree with this point. Every opponent has viewed Manchester United as a cup final match going back to the mid 90s (except for that weird match against Sunderland 13-14 seasons ago) and most of the time under Ferguson we got the result. But since then we’ve tended to crumble against bottom feeding clubs who circled the matchday against United as their de facto cup final.

The players were undoubtedly not properly conditioned under Ole, who was just delighted to have the job, but they were also not mentally prepared for the onslaught against us by these clubs. We fell behind early in so many matches it’s impossible to remember them all. We snatched late match winners but on many of those occasions we were truly the inferior side, despite having a more impressive roster of players by reputation.

There’s so much damage repair Ralf has to do it boggles the mind.

Foxbatt

I completely agree with this point. Every opponent has viewed Manchester United as a cup final match going back to the mid 90s (except for that weird match against Sunderland 13-14 seasons ago) and most of the time under Ferguson we got the result. But since then we’ve tended to crumble against bottom feeding clubs who circled the matchday against United as their de facto cup final.

The players were undoubtedly not properly conditioned under Ole, who was just delighted to have the job, but they were also not mentally prepared for the onslaught against us by these clubs. We fell behind early in so many matches it’s impossible to remember them all. We snatched late match winners but on many of those occasions we were truly the inferior side, despite having a more impressive roster of players by reputation.

One of things he does is to sharpen the mind according to the BBC article. He says it is quick mind and not quick feet that is most important and he is spot on. If you know what you are going to do with the ball by the time the player receives it, he has already beaten the opposing player. H has to change the complete mind set of the players and I hope the club gives him the authority to do so too.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Not every player has the same stamina levels to be fair. If the flat performance was a consequence of heavy training, its going to be affecting some players more than others.
That's the fault of those players with low fitness levels.
As a pro, these people should've taken pride in their own fitness levels, without Ole telling them to train hard.
I don't have anybody telling me to train and I am putting in training sessions of 3+ hours, per day, 5 days per week....for recreation. These guys should be on another level compared to me.

Marwood

There was a period when I thought we looked very fit, seemed to get stronger deeper into games. We looked good physically.

It went wrong somewhere along the way but Ole did get us fit at one point.

zaafi

As a pro, these people should've taken pride in their own fitness levels, without Ole telling them to train hard.
I don't have anybody telling me to train and I am putting in training sessions of 3+ hours, per day, 5 days per week....for recreation. These guys should be on another level compared to me.
You workout over 3 hours every day and somehow you still have the time to post 15,842 posts on an internet forum. Yeah..

USREDEVIL

Ole and Co must of had the players training like in kids summer camps. Dribble to cone and leave ball there and another player fetch it type stuff.

1st full week under new manager/coach and players wrecked. Not use to hard work some of them players.

Shock to the system for them I'd say.
It was the 15-minute breaks for orange slices that Ole implemented.

The United

There was a period when I thought we looked very fit, seemed to get stronger deeper into games. We looked good physically.

It went wrong somewhere along the way but Ole did get us fit at one point.
That's how he got a you know what teacher nick name. Players were rumored to be unhappy because all they do was run run and run or something. And a bunch of people compared his style in Norway similar to Pep's etc.

Funny looking back at it now. And LVG's training methods. Probably giving you a bit of perspective with all the hype around the new guy as well.

Last edited:

SoCross

We were a supremely fit team last season. Please stop this nonsense of Ole not working on fitness.

Kellyiom

Yeah that's something I've found tough to understand. I can only just get players not understanding instructions (but sure they could ask for further instructions).
I don't know why literally they don't just repeat what they're doing until the coach or manager tells them it's correct.

But for a professional sportsperson in the very top of their bracket to not be as fit as their peers, it shocks me.
I would have thought the club would have had simple standing instructions regarding body mass or running ability, do random tests or whatever.

It seems all a bit laid back. And given the sums of money involved, pretty shocking. I know it wouldn't happen in the NFL. It wouldn't happen in cycling and that sport attracts a small %age at its top level to the PL or Champions League.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Obviously none of us know but how do we reckon we'll be training with the COVID in the camp and the games being called off?

Hopefully we're fit and ready for whenever our next game is and nothing like the way we played against Norwich.

Marwood

Yeah that's something I've found tough to understand. I can only just get players not understanding instructions (but sure they could ask for further instructions).
I don't know why literally they don't just repeat what they're doing until the coach or manager tells them it's correct.

But for a professional sportsperson in the very top of their bracket to not be as fit as their peers, it shocks me.
I would have thought the club would have had simple standing instructions regarding body mass or running ability, do random tests or whatever.

It seems all a bit laid back. And given the sums of money involved, pretty shocking. I know it wouldn't happen in the NFL. It wouldn't happen in cycling and that sport attracts a small %age at its top level to the PL or Champions League.
The club will be monitoring this or that but all the metrics in the world can't make that player be at his physical best if he doesn't want to be.

wolvored

Obviously none of us know but how do we reckon we'll be training with the COVID in the camp and the games being called off?

Hopefully we're fit and ready for whenever our next game is and nothing like the way we played against Norwich.
Yes ive wondered that as well. Is everyone off or the few fit ones in? Either way it's not looking good long term with the prospect of more games a week and less training and learning from RR

vanrooney

Yes ive wondered that as well. Is everyone off or the few fit ones in? Either way it's not looking good long term with the prospect of more games a week and less training and learning from RR
covid doesn’t help unfortunately- the players have to quarantine and don’t have the possibility to train for some time without having access to all facilities and some even ill. You need one to two weeks to get back to game fitness after covid at least what you hear from press conferences from various coaches. Tactical training is of course not possible as there are not enough people from the first team around. And those that have post covid effects may make deadly errors after coming back - remember pogba after his first covid.
sadly this comes at a very bad point for us as we could have build some momentum with some quite ok games on paper

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

We'll have barely trained since the Norwich game. We had 7 first teamers available for Saturday. This 9 day break between Brighton and Newcastle was our best chance of good training and now that's gone.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The players are clearly not fit enough for Ralf's system, but these players were even more unfit under Mourinho then they were under Ole. I find it hard to comprehend that these players could even be more unfit than they are now, but they were. Madness.