Hector Bellerin

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Scarecrow, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Mar 17, 2019

Posh Red Full Member

It annoys me that he says he is a cockney but actually just talks like one of those chavs.
  2. May 17, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

3. May 18, 2019

UweBein Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    A clear statement. So unusual for today's footballers.
  4. May 18, 2019

cyberman Full Member

Is the world Americansed that much to the point that even back water states should be front and centre on fecking footballers minds?
  5. May 18, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Is he in about this bill in Alabama?

If so, why would European football players making statements on American state politics?

Northern Ireland has similar laws but I bet he doesn’t even know that because it’s not that sexy American popcorn politics.
  6. May 18, 2019

mu4c_20le Full Member

NI do not run the world.

I was also a bit surprised by the statement but I suppose he likes to follow the news
  7. May 18, 2019

Neither do America.
  8. May 18, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

I'm disgusted that more players are not discussing the Alabama state legislature.

Do any footballers regularly comment on political issues? I can't think of any and I don't really blame them. Twitter is a cesspool.
  9. May 18, 2019

Fiskey Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

I wish famous people wouldn't make blanket statements like this. It doesn't feel like they are trying to understand the other side of the argument and just contributes to polarisation.
  10. May 18, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Footballers should not be under pressure to comment on social issues. If you want to speak, speak but it should be your call as a footballer. Doubt a footballer in London speaking out on an abortion bill in Alabama moves the needle in any argument in Alabama.
  11. May 18, 2019

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    Yea it's easy for footballers to write that opinion but I would be surprised to see a footballer say the opposite opinion, that abortion should be illegal and see how people react to that.
  12. May 18, 2019

Eleven-Eighteen Full Member

Fist of all, yes. It is and has been so for at least half a century now. Unfortunate. But that's the truth.

Secondly, this decision is a bit more monumental than just a backwater American state. The Republicans' strategy is deceivingly simple and monumentally fecked up. They have intentionally made this law super extreme (for example, not allowing rape victims to get abortions) so as to provoke local and state lawmakers to overturn/ block passage of its implementation. This would then allow the lawmakers to appeal to higher and higher courts until they reach the Supreme Court where the plan is to fight and try and overturn Roe v Wade

Apologies for this non-football post in the football forum. I'm still one like away from being able to post in the General Forums. :angel:
  13. May 18, 2019

I imagine those commenting know the background, in spite of this it is still an American issue, fundamentally it is up to the American people to decide their own laws.
  14. May 18, 2019

cyberman Full Member

That's my point though. All of that affects me the same way as if Moscow had changed its laws.
    For Bellerin to believe that footballers from all nations should have a say is stupidly unrealistic.
  15. May 18, 2019

Bastian Full Member

He can say whatever he wants. Good on him. Only surprise is people with a platform rarely say anything at all.
  16. May 18, 2019

lysglimt Full Member

Northern Ireland is a Little country with a population of 1.8 million - what they do or don't do will never have an effect on the World in general. What happens in the US does have an effect.
  17. May 18, 2019

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

Why not, when the most powerful country in the world introduces a law that means its illegal to get an abortion even if you are raped. You don’t need to understand the other side of the argument, when it’s completly and utterly wrong.

Good on him, glad he has an opinion, most footballers do not. Alabama should be ashamed of itself.
  18. May 18, 2019

Boycott Full Member

He's a Spanish footballer in England. Bit weird to see him comment on politics across the pond when his home country has seen a rise in the far right and his country of residence is in meltdown. I don't think footballers are scared, they just stay in their lane.
  19. May 18, 2019

It's ludicrous for him to be wittering on about US state politics when the country that he has lived in for 8 years (and is pretty assimilated to) has the same laws in one constituent country. It only serves to highlight the absurd obsession people have with American politics.
  20. May 18, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I don't think there's anything wrong with him commenting on American politics, just that he expects others to comment. Doubt most top footballers have a clue about what goes on in Alabama.
  21. May 18, 2019

Not at all, they are going in different directions, the abortion laws will likely be changed in NI once they have a functioning government, even if that takes some time there is a will to change it. Alabama are taking a retrograde step in regard to human rights.

Furthermore, why shouldn’t he talk about something that’s utterly absurd.
  22. May 18, 2019

It's absurd that he's calling out what's going on in America state politics when there are similar issues in GB. My point is that people obsess so much over American politics they neglect domestic politics which are far more important.
  23. May 18, 2019

Hoboman New Member

Attention seeker seeks attention. Shocker!
  24. May 18, 2019

Full bodied red Full Member

This !!

They'd never say it because it isn't Politically Correct to say it out loud, and nowadays Political Correctness is considered far more important than personal beliefs.
  25. May 18, 2019

Boycott Full Member

I agree 100%.

Also the implication that fellow players are scared to speak out. The reality is most don't know about it, and if they do it makes little difference to them.

Look at all these players heading over to China where their government stands accused of using camps to detain Muslims. That's not stopping players going there --- some of whom are Muslim like Fellaini, Dembele, Demba Ba.

In three years the World Cup is in Qatar - a serial human rights abuser. If Bellerin skips it fair fecking play, but his fellow players probably won't, the broadcasters won't --- not because they are bad people but because it is football.
  26. May 18, 2019

I personally agree it is wrong, but a lot of people clearly don't. Using a bully pulpit, righteous sense of indignation and 140 characters doesn't help move the debate forward.
  27. May 18, 2019

They aren’t similar at all, for the reasons I already outlined. Even if they were, I really don’t see the problem in speaking about something. It’s Alabama that’s absurd, not someone talking about it.
  28. May 18, 2019

Nick7 Full Member

Some really shitty posts in this thread.
  29. May 18, 2019

El Jefe Full Member

Even when he tries to come across as not being a bellend he manages to be a bellend.

Here's a thought Hector, they just might not care. Footballers will speak on topics that affect them, race and bullying being examples, why should they have to give an opinion on a law in Alabama :houllier:

A PR move and a failed one at that.
  30. May 18, 2019

SparkedIntoLife Full Member

Absolutely. He can write what he likes but it’s the allusion he’s being radical is what bothers me. He’s just another celebrity in the left wing bubble acting morally superior to all those backward, stupid and possibly evil righties. It’s hardly a brave soundbite and, as you say, really not nuanced one bit.
  31. May 18, 2019

Pierluigi Casiraghi New Member

They would quickly be forced to apologise, realistically!
  32. May 18, 2019

Ever Moas New Member

Yeah right wingers feelings being hurt is the real issue here, we need to wallow in "nuance" before we can criticise heinous religio-fascist laws.
  33. May 18, 2019

cyberman Full Member

More people worldwide will know the history of NI better than Alabama.
    Its one nothing state in global terms. Its a symptom of this global fascination of US politics by those who have nothing to do with it.
  34. May 18, 2019

witchtrials Full Member

Good lad
  35. May 18, 2019

Sweet Square Full Member

Yeah feck Hector for caring about something.

:rolleyes:
  36. May 18, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Aargh I came in here thinking there was news about us being interested in signing him
  37. May 18, 2019

HTG Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern
    Good statement.
  38. May 18, 2019

Mogget Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    In what way is he acting morally superior :lol:

I personally find it refreshing a footballer is speaking out about current events
  39. May 18, 2019

RochaRoja Full Member

Top lad is Héctor. Generally very sound in most of what he says.
  40. May 18, 2019

Rob Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Good on him. In a time where almost all professional footballers are on twitter, only to post some cliche, generic statement after a match, a string of photos of themselves or advertisements, I find it refreshing to see that he’s got an opinion on a subject like this and is willing to share it.