Henderson signs 6 year contract

Mindhunter

So he will be sold in 8 months then after we fail to make it to the CL spots this season?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We had to tie Henderson down. Imagine the moans if we didn't.

It's the De Gea contract which is the killer. But we're stuck with that now.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This Henderson love-fest will all end in tears in a year or two. Shame for Romero. He deserves so much better. We'll end up worse off cause no way is De Gea sticking around to be the #2.

Womp

idiot
This is hard to be excited about 1. because of the transfer season and 2. having two goalkeepers, who both expect to be number one isn't as good a scenario as people think imo. One of them will have to leave

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This is hard to be excited about 1. because of the transfer season and 2. having two goalkeepers, who both expect to be number one isn't as good a scenario as people think imo. One of them will have to leave
To be fair, de Gea has needed a strong kick up the backside. Sergio Romero hasn't been enough of one despite his good performances. If de Gea struggles, then there's always a chance that Henderson can come in and prove himself.

Womp

idiot
To be fair, de Gea has needed a strong kick up the backside. Sergio Romero hasn't been enough of one despite his good performances. If de Gea struggles, then there's always a chance that Henderson can come in and prove himself.
That then creates a situation where we have an unsettled goalkeeper who we can't move on, on ridiculous wages. Sanchez vibes. We are just run terribly

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If De Gea turns world class again then great, Henderson stays for a year or two then leaves. If Henderson pushes him out because he’s better then class we’ve got an upgrade for free. If they’re both shit is the only situation it’ll be fecked.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That then creates a situation where we have an unsettled goalkeeper who we can't move on, on ridiculous wages. Sanchez vibes. We are just run terribly
We'll see where this goes. Regarding Sanchez, he did eventually leave for Inter; there'll always be suitors for de Gea, and I'm sure the player himself would be willing to compromise on his wages with another club depending on what happens.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
For me, this signals De Geas end for us. I think it’s great news that we’ve tied Henderson up, I think he’s a fantastic keeper but that contract is not for a bench warmer.

And I’d certainly expect that Romero will be sold.

Coops73

For me, this signals De Geas end for us. I think it’s great news that we’ve tied Henderson up, I think he’s a fantastic keeper but that contract is not for a bench warmer.

And I’d certainly expect that Romero will be sold.
Wonder what his worth is.

Coops73

Romeros? A fair bit for a number 2 I’d have thought, he’s not let us down that’s for sure and it’s quite sad really that he never got a real crack at being number 1, he’s good enough.
So what? 20-25m?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It would be super risky and dumb to lose a potential class goalkeeper without having any replacement ready. 1. De Gea wanted to leave. We persuaded him to stay by paying him a lot, which coincided with him having a dip in form and he just hasn't fully bounced back from it. Even if this is complacency issues or lack of motivation after signing another deal at the club against his ambition just to take the money then I still find it hard to blame the club for the choice to extend the contract. At least we didn't sell him to Madrid while panic buying someone like Kepa for 60m, which is what we'd probably do in that scenario or miss out on top 4 with Pereira and Romero for a full season.

Once again, a well run club would not let go of their first team goalkeeper before they had a replacement ready. We now have the replacement signing an extension. It makes perfect sense, and honestly It's a bit weird to use this as a stick to beat the club with. If De Gea has a bad season we wouldn't be able to offload him anyways with the wages he is on. Now at least there is some competition for places, so if he does stink the place up it wont have a huge impact on the team.

Womp

idiot
It would be super risky and dumb to lose a potential class goalkeeper without having any replacement ready. 1. De Gea wanted to leave. We persuaded him to stay by paying him a lot, which coincided with him having a dip in form and he just hasn't fully bounced back from it. Even if this is complacency issues or lack of motivation after signing another deal at the club against his ambition just to take the money then I still find it hard to blame the club for the choice to extend the contract. At least we didn't sell him to Madrid while panic buying someone like Kepa for 60m, which is what we'd probably do in that scenario or miss out on top 4 with Pereira and Romero for a full season.

Once again, a well run club would not let go of their first team goalkeeper before they had a replacement ready. We now have the replacement signing an extension. It makes perfect sense, and honestly It's a bit weird to use this as a stick to beat the club with. If De Gea has a bad season we wouldn't be able to offload him anyways with the wages he is on. Now at least there is some competition for places, so if he does stink the place up it wont have a huge impact on the team.
We are paying two goalkeepers half a million a week. They are both amongst the top 5 best paid goalkeepers in the league and we can only play one of them. Unless we are planning on selling one/loaning one out, I don't think it's a good deal financially or for the players themselves. GK isn't like other positions where you can constantly rotate.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Good stuff.

Have a feeling De Gea will be moving on in the next 12 months.
To where? Who else can pay him 350k per week? What if he pulls an Özil and refuses to leave while collecting that massive wage?

Guess you'll have to hope one of the Milan clubs come for him.

Wilt

Regardless of the insane wages, we now have two keepers competing for one place, each hoping the other fails. This will not end well.

My guess is it’ll be a rainy day in hell before Ole drops De Gea. I just hope Henderson can stick it out as he’s the future.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
My guess is it’ll be a rainy day in hell before Ole drops De Gea.
I’m not so sure about that. I really don’t believe we’d have offered that type of contract to Henderson if we weren’t at least thinking of making him our number 1.

Wilt

I’m not so sure about that. I really don’t believe we’d have offered that type of contract to Henderson if we weren’t at least thinking of making him our number 1.
Hope you’re right, but it seems Ole always backs De Gea no matter what.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I thought de Gea only had two years left but seemingly has three so that added with this 6 year deal for Henderson means there is more than £70m committed to the goalkeeping position in wages on those two alone.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We are paying two goalkeepers half a million a week. They are both amongst the top 5 best paid goalkeepers in the league and we can only play one of them. Unless we are planning on selling one/loaning one out, I don't think it's a good deal financially or for the players themselves. GK isn't like other positions where you can constantly rotate.
It's not a position where you can afford to take the risk of selling before buying. It's about team quality, and how good the team will be. Henderson is an academy graduate who has been out on loan who has now proven himself. What about him learning from De Gea, to become even better? What about De Gea being inspired to once again show who is boss? If the quality of the team for the coming season will be better, what is there to complain about?

With all the upsides of having the two quality goalkeepers, there is not enough certainty about either of them at the moment now is it? We don't 100% know that Henderson is ready, so it makes sense to test him out without letting De Gea go. We don't know if De Gea will find world class form again or if he has permanently regressed, so letting Henderson go could prove to be a mistake of its own. We don't even know which player will be first choice after this season, but at that point we should have a better grasp on what to do.

Robertd0803

To where? Who else can pay him 350k per week? What if he pulls an Özil and refuses to leave while collecting that massive wage?

Guess you'll have to hope one of the Milan clubs come for him.
PSG or somewhere on loan where we end up paying some of his wages would be my outside bet.

Or Juve when Buffon retires for good and they realise they have had Szczesny on goal for them for a few years.

edcunited1878

PSG or somewhere on loan where we end up paying some of his wages would be my outside bet.

Or Juve when Buffon retires for good and they realise they have had Szczesny on goal for them for a few years.
PSG have Navas and Juve have Szczęsny. Both start and are clear starters. DDG would want to play as he still can offer good play for a team if he doesn't think he should be a number 2 at United. One would think DDG would see this season out and see the competition. Then it's up to him to seek a transfer with going into the 21/22 season.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I shudder to think what an eventual new Pogba contract could look like. A million a week? Half of Old Trafford's pitch to Raiola to have barbecues on?

hobbers

If we wanted to keep Hendo we had to be offering wages in that ballpark. Chelsea would no doubt have been offering him £100k+

Womp

idiot
It's not a position where you can afford to take the risk of selling before buying. It's about team quality, and how good the team will be. Henderson is an academy graduate who has been out on loan who has now proven himself. What about him learning from De Gea, to become even better? What about De Gea being inspired to once again show who is boss? If the quality of the team for the coming season will be better, what is there to complain about?

With all the upsides of having the two quality goalkeepers, there is not enough certainty about either of them at the moment now is it? We don't 100% know that Henderson is ready, so it makes sense to test him out without letting De Gea go. We don't know if De Gea will find world class form again or if he has permanently regressed, so letting Henderson go could prove to be a mistake of its own. We don't even know which player will be first choice after this season, but at that point we should have a better grasp on what to do.
I have no problem with keeping him if he is going out on loan, or one of them are being sold, as I said. What I have an issue with is this idea that chopping and changing goalkeepers is good for them, especially when they are on such ridiculous wages.

liamp

Maybe the Chelsea supporters on here can help me on this, but were the Henderson to Chelsea rumors legitimate? He doesn't seem like a natural fit based on the passing profile of Kepa and what they seem to expect from their goalies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wages seem a bit too high, which is a reoccurring theme with us. I hope he's worth it.

Devil may care

I know many will be getting a chubby over this, but the contract and wages are excessive for a keeper who is yet to prove anything substantial.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I know many will be getting a chubby over this, but the contract and wages are excessive for a keeper who is yet to prove anything substantial.
absolutely. We aren’t going to be able to give Henderson enough football next season to push DDG out so that’s potentially half a seasons football missed for hendo at least.

say ddg starts playing even more shite and Henderson comes in after Christmas and takes over but just clearly isn’t the right guy after all. Who’s going to pay for De Gea? Whos going to pay a fee for henderson when he’s on that? Who’s going to cover those wages? It’ll end up a Sanchez situation. Ddgs form has been awful for over 2 years. The Highest paid goalie in the world playing in the Europa League and fighting for top 4 in the PL.

we need to still give the players some incentive to move on if things aren’t working out. it seems like our thing is we’ve picked you you’ve made it, here’s way more money than you’d ever get anywhere else to show how rich and powerful we are and this is before they’ve even won anything with us. It feels like it’s to ward other top clubs off our players but it always ends up just stopping them from finding their level lower down faster. It’s basically an accounting trick to make the squad look like it’s worth more than it is.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This is a very positive step in the right direction as far I'm concerned. De Gea for me is not good enough for a club that wants to implement a progressive playing style. He's also a liability from crosses and won't leave his line which is pathetic IMO.

Henderson might not prove to be good enough longterm but I hope he at the very least has a hand in getting De Gea out of the club because having such a limited keeper shouldn't be tolerated at a big club.

macheda14

Or excellent succession planning?
This, and it’s obviously this. People who can’t see that this is the plan, wether it comes to fruition, are being wilfully ignorant to Ole’s plan. Prior to the signing of this contract the majority were worried about him going elsewhere because he’s a very promising homegrown keeper. And now that we’ve managed to tie him down to a long term contract and are obviously keeping him to bed him in to be our number one.. we’ve done exactly what we should be doing. If De Gea returns to his form as one of the best keepers in the world then it’s a ‘mistake’, if not we have his replacement who has performed incredibly well for the majority of a season in the prem.

The only teams we could send him out on loan now are some top top teams in Europe a la Courtious at Atletico. He’s shown that he’s a fantastic keeper, but he needs to understand the pressure of playing for a club like United. Just as De Gea did when he joined us.