Henderson signs 6 year contract

edcunited1878

Even with the transfer fee waived, who would be willing to cover a £400k a week salary cost for declining, error-prone keeper?
You don't have to overstate his wages, they aren't that high and starting with a 3 is very different starting from a 4. And he's still one of the best GKs in the PL...just ask Chelsea. Every pointed counted and DDG may have fecked up a few more times than usual, but he still saved United points this year and helped them get 3rd.

stevoc

That must be the biggest wage ever given to a homegrown player without ever starting a senior game aswell.

Would be a bit awkward now if he is shit for you.
Though not as awkward as if we'd lost him and he went onto have a great career at one of our rivals.

At United it's the same sort of wages the likes of Lingard and i think Jones are on, so nothing too crazy.

-Supreme-

I'd be very surprised if 120k doesn't include appearances and performance (i.e. clean sheets).

Jericho

Romero should only be sent on loan. There's no way we can keep both De Gea and Henderson long term, neither of them will settle for being on the bench. Whoever wins No.1 this year, let the other one go and bring Romero back in as No.2. Romero's as good as you can hope for, for a backup keeper willing to be on the bench all season.

edcunited1878

How can anyone say it's poor planning?

Just look at Chelsea to see how easy it is to feck up a goalkeeper transition, or our troubles post-Schmeichel until VDS. A poor goalkeeper is probably the most damaging Achilles heel a team can have and we've acted to ensure that we have a top quality replacement for our own underperforming one, and what's more we haven't needed to pay a penny for him.

It'll push DDG and I think irrespective of form this coming season, we'll see him moved on. He'll likely be our big summer sell in 2021 and we'll spend the money on the numerous other needs in the squad.
Because people look at the money when they want to....it's very good planning, just that the future (Henderson), is much more urgent than they thought. United are controlling a growing asset and it's a long-term investment that they've secured for a while. DDG has underperformed because his heights were world class for many years, regardless if people didn't "like" his style. It's undisputed he was world class for years. Now he's show regression, which was expected. But he's still a top GKer in the PL....just ask Chelsea. Ederson had some right shockers, probably even moreso than DDG.

People are complaining about goalkeeping and defense when it's been too damn obvious for the last 5 fecking years United don't generate enough goals to compete consistently for CL places, let alone the title.

DickDastardly

Who gives a rats ass about the money?!

Brilliant young lad who adores the club, who is also a great goalkeeping prospect, one could say our future no.1

Not our money now is it.

Now go on and sign Sancho and Grealish and get this club where we belong. Top.

edcunited1878

Romero should only be sent on loan. There's no way we can keep both De Gea and Henderson long term, neither of them will settle for being on the bench. Whoever wins No.1 this year, let the other one go and bring Romero back in as No.2. Romero's as good as you can hope for, for a backup keeper willing to be on the bench all season.
Henderson's not being let go anytime soon! His contract outruns DDGs by two years.

It's all up to DDG. Does he accept the challenge and know that if he doesn't perform, Henderson will be given his opportunities. But also, and this is on the club, they need to make it clear to DDG that Henderson is the long term number 1. But they value him to start this coming year knowing that he has to perform, but Henderson will come in to gain experience and help be groomed for the number 1 job. And in the future, DDG may be the #2 and he has to make a decision. Be accepting with that but push Henderson, help him, and cover for him when called upon...or leave for a new club knowing he will not be paid the same amount and might not be a bigger club like United.

mu4c_20le

Pressure is on him to deliver, but he seems like a sound, ambitious lad. No worries at all.

IRELANDUNITED

120k to quite possibility sit on the bench for a year (or more if De Gea regains his form) is some way to make a living. I had it in my head he only signed a new deal a year or so ago.

Ole clearly views him as the future, so it's good to see a long term commitment

Has anyone reliable said that he's getting 120k a week or are we just trusting Jim fecking White's word now?

Lee565

Call me crazy but we should sell him if he's not viewed as being our number 1 next season, his reputation is sky high at the moment, he's just signed lengthy contract extension, he's young, proven in the premier league and english which always inflates fees so surely even our morons in charge of transfer negotiations could fetch 50-60 million for him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You don't have to overstate his wages, they aren't that high and starting with a 3 is very different starting from a 4. And he's still one of the best GKs in the PL...just ask Chelsea. Every pointed counted and DDG may have fecked up a few more times than usual, but he still saved United points this year and helped them get 3rd.
It's not far off £400k a week with bonuses and few people still consider him among the best in the PL. How many points have his mistakes cost us over the last two years? I've lost count.

I believe he has it in him to rediscover his old consistency, which he may very well do with Henderson breathing down his neck.

Amarsdd

Call me crazy but we should sell him if he's not viewed as being our number 1 next season, his reputation is sky high at the moment, he's just signed lengthy contract extension, he's young, proven in the premier league and english which always inflates fees so surely even our morons in charge of transfer negotiations could fetch 50-60 million for him.
Crazy!

edcunited1878

You're crazy....he's not being sold. Of all clubs that pride themselves on academy players and development, he's going to be sold? Proven after one year in the PL? He can hack it in the league for a midtable club who overperformed after promotion, but he's never played for a club like Manchester United week in week out nor has he played in a European club competition for United.

Lee565

So if he's not our number 1 next season we do what with him, flounder on the subs bench, send out on loan to a new club that he may not settle in as well as he did with Sheffield United and potentially his value goes down and down over years and we finally sell him on 5 years down the line for peanuts like we do with a majority of our players.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Surely this means Henderson will be starting above de gea? How will he be given a chance? Can’t just be cup matches or will it be when de gea makes another mistake

United Hobbit

Good news, though he needs to perform to his potential, i wonder if we will use him for the cup games and DDG for the league to start with unless DDG doesn't pull his finger out- this may give him more competition and increase his focus?

I wonder what will happen to Romero he was probably the best back up goal keeper across a lot of clubs. Unless Henderson has one more season or even a half season, on loan? If i was Chelsea I'd be speaking to Romero

I expect they've done this to try and hide the lack of signings, hoping we will view it as good as a new one considering he wasn't here last season....

edcunited1878

It's not far off £400k a week with bonuses and few people still consider him among the best in the PL. How many points have his mistakes cost us over the last two years? I've lost count.

I believe he has it in him to rediscover his old consistency, which he may very well do with Henderson breathing down his neck.
But it's still far off from 400K because that's not true, the 400K. DDG is still a good PL goalkeeper, especially for a top club, not some midtable club or club without pressure just to survive the drop. Name five other GKs better than DDG who play in the PL. It'll be very hard. You got Allison and Ederson. Henderson and Ramsdale? Rui Patricio? Come on man...those players make mistakes too. You don't need a GK to be world class to win matches and competitions considering how many matches they play.

Machine Elements

That's what I was thinking. We shouldn't lose Romero as our no 2. Also there's no guarantee that Henderson will succeed at a big club with pressure every week. He could well be another Ben Foster, Tom Heaton or Tim Howard.

Amarsdd

So if he's not our number 1 next season we do what with him, flounder on the subs bench, send out on loan to a new club that he may not settle in as well as he did with Sheffield United and potentially his value goes down and down over years and we finally sell him on 5 years down the line for peanuts like we do with a majority of our players.
You are literally looking at the worst case scenario there for both Henderson and United and judging we should sell him based on that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think its superb news. We need someone whose able to keep DDG on his toes.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This is absolutely insane. What do we do if he flops and we have a 6 year mega money contract to try to shift? He could be here till he’s 29 and not done anything of worth.

Huge gamble to take whilst I really like him as a GK we’re paying around £500,000 per week on GKs Jesus!

If we don’t make a big signing like Sancho and claim it’s due to lack of money we’re a joke

Tel074

While Chelsea fill their boots with Chilwell now signed, we do what? Get Henderson, who is not first choice and certainly wasn't second choice in the past two seasons on a six-year deal. So strengthening in the one area of the pitch, you could argue, which is the last that needs strengthening. I say strengthening, because he hasn't been in our squad, having been out on loan.

Of course, what Sky DON'T say is that will undoubtedly mean losing Argentina international Sergio Romero, who we will let go for money. If not.. what the heck is going on? Personally, I would have dropped De Gea during last season, and played Romero because of his poor form. Romero is a top keeper. Best number 2 in the world, surely. But for some reason (wages) the Spaniard appears untouchable. If it had been Matic on poor form, or Fred, or Greenwood, then he would have been rested.

Sky Sports reporting they felt De Gea was not under enough pressure. What guff. What is Romero, if not pressure.

If Woodward thinks Henderson deal is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. He is totally wrong. Our transfer dealings are again, a farce.

Romero is a second choice keeper as he was at his previous club . He was never ever going to put serious pressure on De Gea

Lee565

You're crazy....he's not being sold. Of all clubs that pride themselves on academy players and development, he's going to be sold? Proven after one year in the PL? He can hack it in the league for a midtable club who overperformed after promotion, but he's never played for a club like Manchester United week in week out nor has he played in a European club competition for United.
If you view him as not beibg reliable to be our number 1 next season then surely selling him now when his reputation is very high and not wait until potentially being exposed as not a top goalkeeper or having his progression as a gk stall whilst sat keeping our bench warm next season?

edcunited1878

He doesn't have to be the undisputed, clear number 1 next year, but he's being given the opportunity to be groomed and take over for DDG in the year(s) to come. This is the transition period for United and Henderson. Give Henderson opportunities to show he can hack it at United, instead of just throwing him into the deep end without protection/a reliable backup.

James Peril

Unproven GK at the top level, reserve at the minute, on a six year contract at 110k a week. Yeah, sounds like United. Just like we rewarded David Moyes with a long contract when he would have loved doing only three, shocking.

binary bot
Young players arent difficult to shift, high wages or not. They dont want to spend their best years on the bench. See Zaha, Depay etc. Its the players in the latter stages of their career where moving them on becomes a problem.

Either we're set for 10 years with a keeper or we can move him on quite easily. Its what happens with all top young players. Win-win.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But it's still far off from 400K because that's not true, the 400K. DDG is still a good PL goalkeeper, especially for a top club, not some midtable club or club without pressure just to survive the drop. Name five other GKs better than DDG who play in the PL. It'll be very hard. You got Allison and Ederson. Henderson and Ramsdale? Rui Patricio? Come on man...those players make mistakes too. You don't need a GK to be world class to win matches and competitions considering how many matches they play.
Consistency should be the bare minimum requirement for a United-standard keeper who is currently the highest-paid in his position on the planet.

DDG has made too many errors to be considered among the best in the PL and I think (hope) he'd be the first to admit that.

saivet

I'll be the first to wish an Academy player comes good, but imagine if Henderson does not turn out good. We'd struggle to shift him with those wages.

Plus, what has he done for the team to earn that much money anyway?
I think his value would only plummet if he played all the time and was awful.

If he's not playing well, we have De Gea to come in. I think we can protect his value by simply not continuing to play him through a bad spell. Given De Gea used to be a world class keeper the optics are much better than if it was Romero.