Henderson signs 6 year contract

Kaos

I still think its possible a new manager would favour him over De Gea. The latter, while being back to his shot stopping best this season is still the weaker keeper when it comes to sweeping and distribution IMO. If our new manager (who could arrive sooner than we'd expect tbh) prefers a more defined system where we play it off the back, he might opt for Henderson instead.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he’d be okay with it if we went on a winning streak or were competing for something he’d want to be part of that.
Big if that.

I still think its possible a new manager would favour him over De Gea. The latter, while being back to his shot stopping best this season is still the weaker keeper when it comes to sweeping and distribution IMO. If our new manager (who could arrive sooner than we'd expect tbh) prefers a more defined system where we play it off the back, he might opt for Henderson instead.
I've been pleasantly surprised by how improved Dave has been this season in some aspects. Has had a couple of Ederson-type passes where he's alert and technically capable to ping a precise through ball, and he's also been more confident in playing out from the back (I'm sure Varane has had a huge impact on his newfound confidence).

In the hypothetical scenario that a new manager comes in midseason, I doubt they'd want to bench our top performer.

Kaos

Big if that.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how improved Dave has been this season in some aspects. Has had a couple of Ederson-type passes where he's alert and technically capable to ping a precise through ball, and he's also been more confident in playing out from the back (I'm sure Varane has had a huge impact on his newfound confidence).

In the hypothetical scenario that a new manager comes in midseason, I doubt they'd want to bench our top performer.
He's certainly improved and I agree that a new incoming manager wouldn't bench him immediately, but after a period of perhaps realising he doesn't have the on the ball qualities you'd like in a modern keeper they might look elsewhere, perhaps even at Henderson. Similar to how Pep initially persisted with Joe Hart before eventually dropping him.

This video in particular was very insightful of our passing, and in particular quite damning of De Gea showing his lack of involvement in our build up play from the back as well as his generally lackluster passing range (skip to 6:30 for the relevant part)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

I don’t know. De Gea is still a big part of why United find it more difficult to play out from the back. The whole reason you play out from the back is because you outnumber the opposition, but your keeper needs to be a confident footballer to do so. He’s nothing like Ederson or other GKs in being an active participant in passing sequences.

I also have big misgivings about his unwillingness to command his area and not claim crosses. He’s certainly not a positive influence on our poor set pieces record.

I think under plenty of managers he’d be shown the bench and then the door. Even Ole was going with Henderson to start the season until COVID.

arthurka

Dave got in shape again because Henderson was closing in on him. Ole stated that DDG got in early to get ready and firing for the new season. Still think the Henderson would have kept his place if he hadn't caught COVID-19.
Still not sure about Henderson but DDG seemed to rise to the challenge.

JB7

I'm astonished he's still our number one to be honest. The amount of goals we concede from set pieces and balls flashed across the 6 yard box (ie both goals tonight) is ridiculous and so many of them would be easily cut out by a more offensive goalkeeper before there is even a chance for the opposition. He's a very good shot stopper but holds us back in many other ways defensively, such as sitting way too deep in his area to sweep or help the defenders if they are under pressure, every game you see the defenders shout at him for being too far away from them and it forces the defenders to sit slightly deeper than they'd ordinarily like. Plus as has been mentioned he is dreadful at playing out from the back and is constantly putting team-mates in trouble - ala Maguire on Saturday.

I've mentioned it on here before but generally get shot down because criticising De Gea isn't popular because people think him making a couple of decent saves means he's had a good game, without realising that half the time if he did his job properly in the first place he wouldn't need to make the save. It was no coincidence that all of our performance statistics improved with Henderson in goal last season - and that's not to say he is the right long term option but he is certainly a much better fit for our defenders in terms of style of goalkeeper.

Kaos

I'm astonished he's still our number one to be honest. The amount of goals we concede from set pieces and balls flashed across the 6 yard box (ie both goals tonight) is ridiculous and so many of them would be easily cut out by a more offensive goalkeeper before there is even a chance for the opposition. He's a very good shot stopper but holds us back in many other ways defensively, such as sitting way too deep in his area to sweep or help the defenders if they are under pressure, every game you see the defenders shout at him for being too far away from them and it forces the defenders to sit slightly deeper than they'd ordinarily like. Plus as has been mentioned he is dreadful at playing out from the back and is constantly putting team-mates in trouble - ala Maguire on Saturday.

I've mentioned it on here before but generally get shot down because criticising De Gea isn't popular because people think him making a couple of decent saves means he's had a good game, without realising that half the time if he did his job properly in the first place he wouldn't need to make the save. It was no coincidence that all of our performance statistics improved with Henderson in goal last season - and that's not to say he is the right long term option but he is certainly a much better fit for our defenders in terms of style of goalkeeper.
I'd agree with all that, not a popular sentiment given De Gea's popularity and the wholesome factor of his 'redemption' this season, but you're spot on about those home truths. I don't see a manager like Klopp, Pep or even Ten Hag persisting with him as their first choice keeper.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not underestimating the need for a modern (and domineering if possible) goalkeeper, but it's harsh to put our collective calamitous set piece defending squarely on Dave. It's a mix of a zonal marking and some very ropy man marking. It's clearly a collective issue. Having a domineering keeper in there would obviously help massively, but Henderson is not that keeper.

For the record, I think we need a new goalkeeper going forward, but that's not happening this season at the very least and Henderson is no magic fix.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

De Gea's been criticised to no end from all angles. Maybe your criticism isn't popular because it comes with such a dismissive tone, and an implication that you understand what really matters in goalkeeping.

TsuWave

De Gea is the better keeper. All this sweeping and distribution nonsense just comes across as copium

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tbh it's not close between them. De Gea's kicking out of his hands has always been excellent as well, he just occasionally fecks up with the ball at his feet but I never felt it was a significant problem. It's just not a huge plus like Ederson/Neuer. De Gea as a goalkeeper is just a much bigger plus to United than Henderson is for me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

"Criticising De Gea isn't popular" is quite the statement given the sheer amount of criticism he's shipped over the last couple of years. It's only a handful of games since people were calling for his head after the Europa league final. Criticising De Gea has been a very common feature of this forum for quite a long time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We should sell him for good fee. Not just because Dave is levels above. Even if Dave declines again, Hendo is not no1 material so why keep him?

tomaldinho1

De Gea is the better keeper. All this sweeping and distribution nonsense just comes across as copium
When you watch the analysis vids like the one on Stretford Paddock - it's not that DDG and Henderson are similar and one is slightly better with the ball, it's that DDG offers nothing in build up. Compared to every other top teams that's what makes United so different & so easy to press. DDG is a better shot stopper, probably better in most areas, that is for sure, but football has moved on and if you consider yourself an attacking team, you need a keeper who can be active in build up. Whether Henderson is the answer, we don't know.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When you watch the analysis vids like the one on Stretford Paddock - it's not that DDG and Henderson are similar and one is slightly better with the ball, it's that DDG offers nothing in build up. Compared to every other top teams that's what makes United so different & so easy to press. DDG is a better shot stopper, probably better in most areas, that is for sure, but football has moved on and if you consider yourself an attacking team, you need a keeper who can be active in build up. Whether Henderson is the answer, we don't know.
Our centre backs take forever to move the ball also which doesn't help.

Varane actually helped in this department quite a lot as he's happy to carry it forwards.

Maguire has a habit of looking for the long ball first, dribbling 2nd and passing 3rd. Usually by the time he releases it we've been boxed into tight areas.

i don't think it helps that our primary aim is a long ball over the top. We only look to actually play through midfield once that option is gone.

tomaldinho1

Our centre backs take forever to move the ball also which doesn't help.

Varane actually helped in this department quite a lot as he's happy to carry it forwards.

Maguire has a habit of looking for the long ball first, dribbling 2nd and passing 3rd. Usually by the time he releases it we've been boxed into tight areas.

i don't think it helps that our primary aim is a long ball over the top. We only look to actually play through midfield once that option is gone.
Yep. Ole actually bought players for Mou’s system (Shaw, Varane, Maguire, AWB with DDG behind is perfect for low block counter football). But he isn’t interested in restricting the wide men/Bruno so we have a big disconnect. We’re a team of two halves who play a game of two halves.

Oranges038

Aye. More wins, less goals conceded and more clean sheets. But he doesn't make the camera saves, so he's not good enough.

DDG is really really good at one thing, he's rediscovered that form after spending 3 years throwing the ball into the net. All of a sudden he's the best in the world again, but still has only kept 1 clean sheet all season.

He spends way too much time stuck to his line rocking on his heels. He has zero command or control over his defence or 6 yard box. He could have claimed/cleared both the balls for the goals last night if he was more aggressive. Doesn't drop out to show for the ball and his passing out is mostly poor.

I still think Henderson is the better keeper fit for the team as a whole. He might not be better at making one off saves but overall he is more suited to the team.

padzilla

Hipster
This. Look at Henderson 'keeping vs Liverpool at home and that's why he's no.2 and will stay as no.2 until he improves.
Agreed, Henderson blew his big chance at the end of last season when he was billed as a less flashy but more steady alternative to De Gea. Instead he turned out to be even more error strewn and seemed to shrink within himself in big moments rather stand up and make an impact.
His performance at home to Liverpool was shocking, he seemed completely overawed by the occasion and would surely have been subbed if he had been playing outfield.

markhughes

He is a decent number two I guess but I do wonder how long he will be happy with that role in the team, De Gea seemed to up his game when the pressure for his place was applied so that was a good thing I guess, he is still miles behind David though.

In other news I hear we are interested in signing a talented young goalkeeper, 6ft 6 and only 17. It's an ITK but several clubs are looking at him currently including us. Say what you want about our recruitment but we have a good goalkeeping track record at least! I went to watch the lad last week and he was unreal.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing with Henderson is that he is a relatively a young goalkeeper and should improve.

Whether he is good enough during his best years I don't know - but I do sometimes feel like I value something like a goalkeepers ability to command his box and come out and get the ball during a cross.

De gea is someone who will leave the cross for everyone else to sort out and then save the consequence of everything in the midst of a group of near 15 players with his feet.

I think he has been class this season but I do think I say that due to him making his traditional wonder saves again. His passing has improved slightly but the corners stuff he is still on the line.

RUCK4444

De Gea has been class this season and his kicking/distribution has been much improved.

Henderson isn’t getting a sniff at the minute.

lsd

The Oracle
I would have hoped any debate over who should be number one was well and truly settled this season.

By all means get another keeper as competition but Henderson is clearly never going to be good enough for us

sugar_kane

Send him out on loan in January, it's clear he's not going to be content sitting on the bench and we have Heaton as a high level back up.

Personally I don't really rate him, and find his cockiness fairly unappealing, but would rather he is put to the test that's it's done elsewhere.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This. Look at Henderson 'keeping vs Liverpool at home and that's why he's no.2 and will stay as no.2 until he improves.
People love making comments about something is the worst, or best ever, and it's usually silly.

But Hendo's positioning for that Salah goal at Old Trafford last year would take some beating for worst ever positioning from a keeper.
It was almost impossible for Salah not to score that one.

Oranges038

People love making comments about something is the worst, or best ever, and it's usually silly.

But Hendo's positioning for that Salah goal at Old Trafford last year would take some beating for worst ever positioning from a keeper.
It was almost impossible for Salah not to score that one.

Oranges038

I still think Henderson's was worse, as he was where Barthez was, but Salah was coming in at a more central posiiton.

Still woeful from Barthez though.
Probably.

I still find it hilarious that Barthez had the balls to even try that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's certainly improved and I agree that a new incoming manager wouldn't bench him immediately, but after a period of perhaps realising he doesn't have the on the ball qualities you'd like in a modern keeper they might look elsewhere, perhaps even at Henderson. Similar to how Pep initially persisted with Joe Hart before eventually dropping him.

This video in particular was very insightful of our passing, and in particular quite damning of De Gea showing his lack of involvement in our build up play from the back as well as his generally lackluster passing range (skip to 6:30 for the relevant part)

Shes done a good job. This is what I like about YouTube fan channels away from Goldbridge (which is basically a bunch of hyperbole and guesstimation).

This girl has put in a lot of due diligence and work into backing up her views on how we play. Whether people agree or disagree with her views, its so much more constructive than 99% of the wank we are forced to listen to when paying an arm and a leg on BT sport.

Kaos

Shes done a good job. This is what I like about YouTube fan channels away from Goldbridge (which is basically a bunch of hyperbole and guesstimation).

This girl has put in a lot of due diligence and work into backing up her views on how we play. Whether people agree or disagree with her views, its so much more constructive than 99% of the wank we are forced to listen to when paying an arm and a leg on BT sport.
The United Stand is insufferable trash. Mostly a bunch of clickbaity videos and Goldbridge pretending he's some in the know honcho with links to the club.

arnie_ni

Henderson just smashes the ball long like pickford hoping for the best. He's shocking with the ball from what I've seen

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The United Stand is insufferable trash. Mostly a bunch of clickbaity videos and Goldbridge pretending he's some in the know honcho with links to the club.
Pretty much(!)

roseguy64

De Gea has been class this season and his kicking/distribution has been much improved.

Henderson isn’t getting a sniff at the minute.
Agreed. The only area where he hasn't improved and probably won't ever is claiming the ball more often from crosses. He only does it in the obvious situations. Henderson doing that isn't enough to make him first choice.

Wouldn't be mad at loaning Henderson out next season with Heaton as backup.

RUCK4444

Agreed. The only area where he hasn't improved and probably won't ever is claiming the ball more often from crosses. He only does it in the obvious situations. Henderson doing that isn't enough to make him first choice.

Wouldn't be mad at loaning Henderson out next season with Heaton as backup.
Yeah agree on both points. Collecting crosses he won’t really improve on but his overall level is brilliant at the minute.

sparx99

I do think De Gea’s tendency to stay on his line prevents us playing a higher line. His starting position is too deep and so the opposition have acres to play through balls into if we push up. He’s not going to change at this point so I am interested in what Henderson has to offer. The League cup result unfortunately has taken away any opportunities.

tomaldinho1

Henderson just smashes the ball long like pickford hoping for the best. He's shocking with the ball from what I've seen
He's much better than DDG at it. Issue for us is do we have a stable team which can give Hendo a shot? We can't keep clean sheets for toffee and if he comes in there will definitely be errors as he is young. DDG has returned to good form but he's still terrible off his line and around his box, we have to solid keepers but DDG is the 'safe' choice. That said our build up play has to improve and DDG hinders that & Henderson vastly outperformed DDG back end of last season. It's a conundrum. I suspect the truth is neither is elite level for what we need.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's a lot of talk about De Gea being back in form this season. I think it's important to remember that he was back in form last season as well...for the first 1-2 months. He quickly fell away and had arguably his worst overall season, so I'm not going to feel confident in him until he's kept it up for quite a few more months now. And even then, he obviously does have significant limitations in his all-round game.

Flytan

I think de gea has glaring weaknesses at corners and ball distribution but Henderson isn't nearly good enough at those things to make up for de geas superiority in everything else. I think we should have cashed in on Henderson while his stock was still high. Especially since we still have Heaton. Could have used the money and spare wages