6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkleton

I feel like his best performances for us were as a right winger. His form dropped when Jose started playing him as a 10 and left winger. He looks really low on confidence at the moment. I still believe he will be an amazing player for us next season.

MadMike

Whatever the reason for it, this doesn't discount what I said. Arsenal weren't worried about what would happen in behind their full backs because it's Mata and Mkhi. They wouldnt even try that today if it was City they were playing, for example.
They played 3 at the back mate. Which meant that when we attacked Mkhi and Mata were marked by Holding and Monreal respectively with Koscielny on Martial. Which meant that their wing backs didn't have to track Mkni and Mata, because it's not their job. Their wingbacks' job defensively was primarily to track our fullbacks (Tuanzebe and Darmian). However with our fullbacks so defensive in nature (I don't think Tuanzebe crossed the halfway line), their wingbacks were playing as wingers. Thus forcing their markers, Mkhi and Mata, back. It's actually quite simple

In response to what you said, Carrick and Herrera can't cover the fullbacks because they already have their hands full with Arsenals midfield runners and also Carrick doesn't have the legs for that type of game. We had no option but the ask our wingers to put in a shift. Giggs used to do it all the time whilst still providing a huge threat. Thats the level of player we need in wide positions unless we change our midfield and possibly go with three in there.
They shouldn't have their hands full with Arsenals midfield cause they outnumber them. Arsenal had Ramsey and Xhaka in CM. We had Carrick, Rooney and Herrera. That's one man more. If Carrick sits deeper and marks Ramsey and Rooney (the most offensive) presses Xhaka then Herrera is free to track lateral movements. If you're saying that your MF does not have the legs to track wide runners (I agree that theydon't btw) then that's another reason why our wingers are being forced back.

In fact, like I said, they were instructed to track back. Because it was their job top track the wingbacks, not the MF's. Whether Jose made that choice because the MF cant track the wing backs adequately due to speed/age/wahtever, then that's a different question.

Sylar

I feel like his best performances for us were as a right winger. His form dropped when Jose started playing him as a 10 and left winger. He looks really low on confidence at the moment. I still believe he will be an amazing player for us next season.
Yeah I would agree with this. I think we misused him today, especially as he didnt have a chance to link up with mata at all, who is normally on the same wavelength as him. Both were used as defensive wingbacks unfortunately which imo wasnt needed for todays game.

Was surprised he started today though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought he was actually pretty average against Celta and Anderlecht. His goal covered up his play.

Against City and Arsenal, it wasn't about how the team was set up. It was about him simply not upping his game. Losing balls, not dictating play and at times have poor first touches. In games like the ones we are having, a Mikhi should be taking the games by the scruff of their necks. He hasn't been doing that.
I can see why you and others weren't impressed with his performances against Celta and Anderlecht but I thought he did fine. Just personal preference, I guess.

I'll never argue that he loses the ball too easily because he does, and it was one of the main reasons I wasn't keen on signing him. I agree, we need our best players to step up in these matches but our tactics, IMO, prevent them from doing so. Whether it was Rashford, Martial or Mkhi up front against City they were completely isolated and ended up conceding possession due to our whole team being camped. Heck, we employed the same tactics away to Liverpool and Zlatan struggled, too.

sugar_kane

Been very poor for a few months now, and his great games seem to be massively outnumbered by his poor games, similar to Di Maria and Depay before him.

He seems like he's carrying a bit of timber as well, don't remember his arse being so massive before? :nervous:

montpelier

he's massively superior to Depay, Depay was outright shite, least this guy has some attributes to have a chance with

I think they get rolled back (pre emptively by Mourinho maybe) is because the MF doesn't cope - take Pogba out & we struggle vs. anyone, unless we reinforce with numbers and/or Fellaini, :rolleyes:.

Rooney & Carrick are 'done'.

Mkhizlatba

Its pretty simple.
If Micki keeps starting games and Jose isnt criticising him in front of the press, then he must be doing exactly what Jose has told him to do. We know Jose isnt too shy to air his dirty laundry.

Admittedly, it appears to me that his speed is definately not quite there and this has led to several lost posessions when attempting to beat the first man. This is usually his bread and butter, so I wonder if he has been carrying a long term injury which could also possibly affect his shooting.

He combines well with Mata (similar player to Kagawa) and the better the players around him, the better he wil be. He is not a physical "back to the goals" or "hold up" player so go easy on him. Ive never been a fan of Jose but he is certainly very intelligent. Im sure he will sign such a player next year and hopefully Micki will be utilised to maximum effect.

GM K

I can see why you and others weren't impressed with his performances against Celta and Anderlecht but I thought he did fine. Just personal preference, I guess.

I'll never argue that he loses the ball too easily because he does, and it was one of the main reasons I wasn't keen on signing him. I agree, we need our best players to step up in these matches but our tactics, IMO, prevent them from doing so. Whether it was Rashford, Martial or Mkhi up front against City they were completely isolated and ended up conceding possession due to our whole team being camped. Heck, we employed the same tactics away to Liverpool and Zlatan struggled, too.

You have a point about the way we seem to camp in our zone. Jose needs to unshackle the team a bit more, no doubt. But I think a big part of the problem is the quality of our midfield and defence. We are really short of ballers. I mean players who are very comfortable on the ball, can retain it long enough and set the team attacking. Pogba is the only real baller we have in the midfield. Herrera does well breaking up play and passing at short distances especially. Carrick's passing is good and he's calm. But both are not real ballers. We all know about Fellaini. Mikhi who could be a real baller seems to have lost his magic. Fortunately, Mata is back but he has never really impressed me enough to classify him as an X-factor type of player.

In defence, the closest to being ballers are Bailly and Rojo. The rest are not. Valencia is good though, in terms of his attacking runs.

Until we have a sizeable number of players who can keep the ball well, beat the player in from of them and set the team in attack mode, then we will continue to be the team that soaks up attacks and merely hopes for lucky breaks.

Jose's Inter, Madrid and title winning Chelsea teams had enough ballers to hit opponents well on the break. They would soak up attacks but hit back with devastating effect.

The second problem this current United team has that makes it look like a team that merely attempts to soak attacks is poor finishing. Take yesterday for instance, our analysis would be very different if we had converted the Rooney and Martial chances. The analysis of the City game would have been different if Herrera had scored. Etc.

I suspect that if United buys well in the Summer, we'll be less critical of Jose's tactics.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We need him stop playing him on the wing and expecting he's going to run passed people and score goals by himself. While he's got the ability to beat a man he's much better at it when at the AMC position. I don't think he's ever played well off the left wing so not sure why we keep persisting with that either.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some people are talking about his defensive duties.
I don't judge an attacker on his defence. My focus is attack and always has been.
Put simply, Miki has been weak in attack. He doesn't score or create enough goals and for that reason, I am extremely disappointed with him.

There are also people talking about him specifically against AFC. I don't care about a one off bad performance. I care about 10-15 games for which he has been anonymous.

Last edited:

sashiko

Some people are talking about his defensive duties.
I don't judge an attacker on his defence. My focus is attack and always has been.
Put simply, Miki has been weak in attack. He doesn't score or create enough goals and for that reason, I am extremely disappointed with him.

There are also people talking about him specifically against AFC. I don't care about a one off bad performance. I care about 10-15 games for which he has been anonymous.
that's great you don't . But unfortunately in a real life there is a direct connection between what coach tells the player to do and his results. Even if you don't like that, you know. So if he's put in defence and Mou says later he played a good game while you think he was anonymous in attack, sorry but Mou decides ))

Reynoldo

Definitely the type that needs time to settle so all bets are off this this campaign, next season will be the time to judge him.

Kammy26

First season.

He struggled in his first season at Dortmund too.

Let's be patient with him.
Agree with this also he's not been as bad as people are making out, 11 goals and 5 assists isn't too bad for his first season in England. He's never going to make the numbers he hit for dortmund in the premier league. Saying that i would expect a improvement next season, maybe 15 goals and 15 assists next season which he is capable of IMO.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Agree with this also he's not been as bad as people are making out, 11 goals and 5 assists isn't too bad for his first season in England. He's never going to make the numbers he hit for dortmund in the premier league. Saying that i would expect a improvement next season, maybe 15 goals and 15 assists next season which he is capable of IMO.
Looking at his stats on whoscored, it has him down as only 4 goals in the premier league and just 1 assist in all competitions, though I'm sure the assists can't be true. Still, his league stats aren't all that.

Dave46

Looking at his stats on whoscored, it has him down as only 4 goals in the premier league and just 1 assist in all competitions, though I'm sure the assists can't be true. Still, his league stats aren't all that.
Cause he did not play till November and then missed a few games, such as Chelsea and Arsenal at home.

RAVred

If he starts I think he'll play a key part in our first goal like Anderlecht. Heres hoping he plays a good part in the second, we shouldn't aim for a 1-0 victory here.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In defence, the closest to being ballers are Bailly and Rojo. The rest are not. Valencia is good though, in terms of his attacking runs.
I agree with a lot you say but I think you have this the wrong way around with Valencia and Rojo. Rojo is pretty average to poor on the ball for me (he often hoofs it away aimlessly) and Valencia is magnificent in possession of the ball in regards ball retention.

Kammy26

Yeah he's got 11 goals in all competitions and 5 assists in all competitions this year. I agree with you he can do better and he's been guilty of missing chances this year like the rest of the team. For his first season tho in a new league I don't think he's been to bad. Over the years we've had a lot of players who have had worse first seasons.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wish we would stop putting him on the right side, he always comes in narrow and blocks up the centre of the pitch. He's so much better in the 10 position as he can roam around, go both directions on both feet. Makes him much less predictable. He's also 1 of our only players who's comfortable running with the ball at speed.

GM K

I agree with a lot you say but I think you have this the wrong way around with Valencia and Rojo. Rojo is pretty average to poor on the ball for me (he often hoofs it away aimlessly) and Valencia is magnificent in possession of the ball in regards ball retention.

You have a good point about Valencia but about Rojo, I used to think he wasn't a baller until he got a good run of playing time and I observed him closely. He is comfortable with the ball and handles it pretty comfortably in tight situations when compared to the others. I have not noticed him kicking the ball out too many times when he didn't need to compared to Smalling and Jones. Plus, he is actually our most attacking center back. You would have noticed his occasional runs forward into the final third at times. I can recall at least three headers from set pieces that he almost scored during the season and he actually has one goal to his name in the Premier League.

MadMike

You have a good point about Valencia but about Rojo, I used to think he wasn't a baller until he got a good run of playing time and I observed him closely. He is comfortable with the ball and handles it pretty comfortably in tight situations when compared to the others. I have not noticed him kicking the ball out too many times when he didn't need to compared to Smalling and Jones. Plus, he is actually our most attacking center back. You would have noticed his occasional runs forward into the final third at times. I can recall at least three headers from set pieces that he almost scored during the season and he actually has one goal to his name in the Premier League.
The exact opposite for me. Everytime I observe him he hoofs the ball out the back, more than the other 3 CBs combined.

GM K

The exact opposite for me. Everytime I observe him he hoofs the ball out the back, more than the other 3 CBs combined.

:lol: :lol:

The wonder of diversity in human experiences.

Well, I guess we are both right then.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
He is comfortable with the ball and handles it pretty comfortably

In what games? If there is something that can not do well it's that, he always loses it!

Sparky10Legend

Big fan of his, but starting to get that sinking feeling.

At super clubs you tend to either sink or swim, I'll let you decide which of the two he's currently doing.

GM K

Big fan of his, but starting to get that sinking feeling.

At super clubs you tend to either sink or swim, I'll let you decide which of the two he's currently doing.

He is sinking. Doesn't seem to have that mental strength. But we have seen many players perform averagely in their first season at a new club and then explode in subsequent seasons. Let's hope this is the case with Mikhi here.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I like him as a player but I'm very glad we dont have him in my team as I'd find him incredibly frustrating.

Alabaster Codify7

I hope he starts tonight as I can see him having a good game - he'll have bags of space if we're able to hit quick counter-attacks. They're gonna have to come at us aggressively and will leave holes at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.