Henry Winter's attack on Joel Glazer

032Devil

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...s-like-joel-glazer-and-john-w-henry-3lqxlj029
article taken from: http://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/10...ching-assault-on-joel-glazer-218892/redbilly/

FOOTBALL | HENRY WINTER
Top football writer in heart-wrenching assault on Joel Glazer

One of England’s elite football writers Henry Winter has launched a passionate assault on Manchester United’s controlling shareholder, Joel Glazer.

Writing in today’s edition of The Times, Winter has taken the gloves well and truly off as he exposes Glazer as someone who does not care about the club or the fans, calling him a ‘mercenary opportunist’.

‘Yes, Joel Glazer, I saw you. I saw your contempt for English fans.

‘I was chatting to Manchester United supporters [outside the ground before a match], genuine football people whose life revolves around this great club you’re privileged to own… And you swept past, smiling smugly.

‘Yes, Joel, I saw you, you ambitious ruler of the English game. I saw your bouncers pushing United fans out of the way, your fans.

‘I saw your look, your sense of self-entitlement. I saw how out of touch you were with English football, the passion, the flaws, the glory, and you still are.

‘As now, I saw then that you don’t understand the responsibility of being guardian of Manchester United, the absolute honour, and the opportunity for leadership for club and sport.

‘You’re not fit to spend a second in the distinguished company of Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton, legends who have given so selflessly to club and sport.

‘We know your game, Joel. Your game is simple, fistfuls of dollars.

‘Sadly, you don’t have any emotional connection with United. Your game is the Bucs and the bucks.’

At The Peoples Person we have often recently accused the English press of providing mouthpieces for United’s owners in recent years, but this outburst by Winter, prompted by his distaste of the proposed ‘Project Big Picture’, which he sees as a blatant attempt by Liverpool and United’s owners to seize control of football from their Premier League rivals, is a welcome breath of fresh air.

‘But hear this: we don’t want Joel Glazer running English football,’ Winter continues.

‘Fans, government, clubs don’t want the representative of a family who have taken almost £1 billion out of Manchester United … restricting opportunity for those wanting to challenge him and his Gang of Six in this disgraceful, doomed “Project Big Picture”.

‘Who are the leaders? Not you.’

When a tearful Patrice Evra recently took to Instagram to complain about how the club was being run, he curiously avoided criticizing the Glazer family, asking fans to trust him, that they ‘love the club’ and that it is possible that people they trust give them the wrong information. ‘Before we say the Glazers Out, guys, calm down’. We trust Uncle Pat, so that was confusing. For a moment we asked ourselves, does the Glazer family really care about Manchester United?

Winter’s brave column puts that idea to bed once and for all. It was a dose of cold reality, a throwback to the pre-COVID days of the ice bucket challenge.

The reporter’s message is clear: The Glazers are parasites who do not care about Manchester United and they now want to take control over the rest of the Premier League so they can exploit that for financial gain as well.

As United fans, their gain will seem to also be our gain in the short term. United will have more clout, more voting power. But the extra money gained by bleeding the smaller clubs dry will not make United stronger. It will be sucked straight out of our club again and into the Glazer family’s bank accounts.

Decent article. I've mostly believed that the chennigans of the recent transfer window was conducted by the Glazers and orchestrated by the top management who probably don't want to loose their jobs.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Title had me picturing Winter cornering him in the tunnel and wrapping his Filofax around Joel’s head.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...s-like-joel-glazer-and-john-w-henry-3lqxlj029
article taken from: http://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/10...ching-assault-on-joel-glazer-218892/redbilly/

FOOTBALL | HENRY WINTER
Top football writer in heart-wrenching assault on Joel Glazer

One of England’s elite football writers Henry Winter has launched a passionate assault on Manchester United’s controlling shareholder, Joel Glazer.

Writing in today’s edition of The Times, Winter has taken the gloves well and truly off as he exposes Glazer as someone who does not care about the club or the fans, calling him a ‘mercenary opportunist’.

‘Yes, Joel Glazer, I saw you. I saw your contempt for English fans.

‘I was chatting to Manchester United supporters [outside the ground before a match], genuine football people whose life revolves around this great club you’re privileged to own… And you swept past, smiling smugly.

‘Yes, Joel, I saw you, you ambitious ruler of the English game. I saw your bouncers pushing United fans out of the way, your fans.

‘I saw your look, your sense of self-entitlement. I saw how out of touch you were with English football, the passion, the flaws, the glory, and you still are.

‘As now, I saw then that you don’t understand the responsibility of being guardian of Manchester United, the absolute honour, and the opportunity for leadership for club and sport.

‘You’re not fit to spend a second in the distinguished company of Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton, legends who have given so selflessly to club and sport.

‘We know your game, Joel. Your game is simple, fistfuls of dollars.

‘Sadly, you don’t have any emotional connection with United. Your game is the Bucs and the bucks.’

At The Peoples Person we have often recently accused the English press of providing mouthpieces for United’s owners in recent years, but this outburst by Winter, prompted by his distaste of the proposed ‘Project Big Picture’, which he sees as a blatant attempt by Liverpool and United’s owners to seize control of football from their Premier League rivals, is a welcome breath of fresh air.

‘But hear this: we don’t want Joel Glazer running English football,’ Winter continues.

‘Fans, government, clubs don’t want the representative of a family who have taken almost £1 billion out of Manchester United … restricting opportunity for those wanting to challenge him and his Gang of Six in this disgraceful, doomed “Project Big Picture”.

‘Who are the leaders? Not you.’

When a tearful Patrice Evra recently took to Instagram to complain about how the club was being run, he curiously avoided criticizing the Glazer family, asking fans to trust him, that they ‘love the club’ and that it is possible that people they trust give them the wrong information. ‘Before we say the Glazers Out, guys, calm down’. We trust Uncle Pat, so that was confusing. For a moment we asked ourselves, does the Glazer family really care about Manchester United?

Winter’s brave column puts that idea to bed once and for all. It was a dose of cold reality, a throwback to the pre-COVID days of the ice bucket challenge.

The reporter’s message is clear: The Glazers are parasites who do not care about Manchester United and they now want to take control over the rest of the Premier League so they can exploit that for financial gain as well.

As United fans, their gain will seem to also be our gain in the short term. United will have more clout, more voting power. But the extra money gained by bleeding the smaller clubs dry will not make United stronger. It will be sucked straight out of our club again and into the Glazer family’s bank accounts.

Decent article. I've mostly believed that the chennigans of the recent transfer window was conducted by the Glazers and orchestrated by the top management who probably don't want to loose their jobs.
But Ole OUT and that will solve all the problems!

032Devil

Title had me picturing Winter cornering him in the tunnel and wrapping his Filofax around Joel’s head.
Yeah, sorry I don't have membership to the Times so I took it off the peaplesperson website plus I haven't posted a thread on the caf for a while and how to write and post have changed and couldn't quite work it out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah, sorry I don't have membership to the Times so I took it off the peaplesperson website plus I haven't posted a thread on the caf for a while and how to write and post have changed and couldn't quite work it out.
All good, was only joking.

CG1010

This, sadly!

To preempt those people who say what can we do as fans, Man United brand is one on the basis of which the club is earning millions.. if the fans voice continuous opposition to the owners and woodword, they will take notice. However, we get distracted and get happy with a shiny new toy, whether a new manager or player.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Hand wringing and posturing from Fleet Street.
I think Winter is more than capable of posturing and self-serving but he's entirely right about the Glazers and I'm glad he's written this piece. We need loud vocal disgust at what they're doing to us from all corners; fans, broadcasters, press, everywhere, if there is any chance of persuading them to sell up.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'll take these articles every day.

I'd take a Putin-like after-the-fact legislation that would throw them out of the club. That this was allowed to happen is a crime.

Osobia

What can anybody realistically do about this situation? Fans or the club itself, it seems common knowledge amongst everyone that the Glazers are milking us dry... and???? This whole forum talks about it, journos talk about it, yet Joel happily sits on his throne of shit. What can we, as the fans, collectively do to get those vermin out of our beloved club? (Apart from boycotting or anything at a massive scale like that because that's not realistic.)

Greck

Getting the Glazers out won't turn Ole into Pep or Klopp but congrats because you just unintentionally turned this into an Ole out thread

Stretender

The same fleet street who opposed BSkyb's move to purchase United and welcomed Abu Dhabi at City with open arms and top cheerleaders for Roman Abramovich.

These people are not on our side. Right to call out the Glazers now but not vocal enough during the leveraged takeover.

Hypocritical.

R77

Thank you Henry Winter. I hope we see more of the same from others.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Getting the Glazers out won't turn Ole into Pep or Klopp but congrats because you just unintentionally turned this into an Ole out thread
Get the Glazers out. Appoint a quality DoF and let Ole get on with his job with that support. Thats what immediate future success looks like

Guy Incognito

I think Winter is more than capable of posturing and self-serving but he's entirely right about the Glazers and I'm glad he's written this piece. We need loud vocal disgust at what they're doing to us from all corners; fans, broadcasters, press, everywhere, if there is any chance of persuading them to sell up.
Don't disagree with his argument.

The fact remains, with the PL one club one vote rule this idea won't take off. So why is Winter et al getting so worked up about it?

Meanwhile the backlash over PPV (no u-turns at all) is forgotten about and the PL continue to fleece fans. And so will the owners.

Ownership of football clubs should be something the national press scrutinise on a regular basis, not when they see fit.

Guy Incognito

The same fleet street who opposed BSkyb's move to purchase United and welcomed Abu Dhabi at City with open arms and top cheerleaders for Roman Abramovich.

These people are not on our side. Right to call out the Glazers now but not vocal enough during the leveraged takeover.

Hypocritical.
It's all about the 'fantastic' work Abu Dhabi have done to support Manchester council, bah.

cyberman

Utter nonsense. Guess its easier to go after Utd than the other big club since he walked past Henry once

meamth

What do you mean?

All the elite team had lost terribly this season. United, Liverpool and City planned this together.

Ole is definitely in the same league as Klopp and Pep. Other clubs having great start, they don't know what's coming.

MDFC Manager

Hypocritical.
This.

redshaw

He may be right on Joel but Winter himself reveals why this article pops now, it's the "Project Big Picture" he's foaming at the mouth about, loosely hidden around a large attack on an owner and timely dug up romantic chatter about United. Where is the criticism of other more awful owners using clubs for other things who don't really care and ruining the game? Where is the Liverpool part of this Project attack?

clarkydaz

Hypocritical.
reminds me when Rooney was shite for United, the press were not bothered. When it was clear he was damaging England they couldnt get him out quick enough

Tiber

He cares about the 'big picture' thing, its feck all to do with sudden sympathy for United fans

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Don't disagree with his argument.

The fact remains, with the PL one club one vote rule this idea won't take off. So why is Winter et al getting so worked up about it?

Meanwhile the backlash over PPV (no u-turns at all) is forgotten about and the PL continue to fleece fans. And so will the owners.

Ownership of football clubs should be something the national press scrutinise on a regular basis, not when they see fit.
Yes I can't disagree. As for Abramovich and Mansour @Stretender I don't think they were quite welcomed with 'open arms' but it's certainly true their more unsavoury sides are glossed over.

I remember reading this Ollie Holt column, the upshot of which is United are losing their lustre versus the newly-formed Man City down the road. He's made up with the redevelopment of east Manchester they've bankrolled, versus how shabby United's base and its 'media facilities' are looking, but the line 'Be as cynical as you want, but it’s hard not to admire Sheikh Mansour’s long-term vision for the club' is as close as he gets to acknowledging the darker side of the state-sponsored regime in charge at City. There's a nice picture of him beaming alongside Vinny Kompany and the whole thing reads like a man bought and sold by the club about which he's writing and so I don't for a minute blame anyone cynical and less than welcoming of what Fleet Street journos have to say about ownership. But I'm at the point where any criticism of the Glazers, preferably measured and fact-based but I'm getting less fussy about that these days, in the public domain is fine by me.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He cares about the 'big picture' thing, its feck all to do with sudden sympathy for United fans
The timing of this was obvious, you would’ve thought

bludsucker

That article seems like it’s written by someone who is miffed with joel glazer because he gave him the cold shoulder. Looks like this cane out just cause of ‘Project Big Picture’ but where is the criticism for Liverpool’s owners? By all reports they are the driving force behind this. But as they say nothing sells like a negative United article. And this is just that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel like the press have done a much better job of going after Woody/Glazers of late (especially after the less then stellar window we've had). Hope it continues.

pascell

That article seems like it’s written by someone who is miffed with joel glazer because he gave him the cold shoulder. Looks like this cane out just cause of ‘Project Big Picture’ but where is the criticism for Liverpool’s owners? By all reports they are the driving force behind this. But as they say nothing sells like a negative United article. And this is just that.
The OP has only posted part of the article, the other part he does somewhat go after the Liverpool owners, but he does so along with the Glazers, he doesn't single them out.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I feel like the press have done a much better job of going after Woody/Glazers of late (especially after the less then stellar window we've had). Hope it continues.
Yeah, absolutely. The main focus shouldn't be incompetence though (ref to the recent window), but the theft of resources. But beggars can't be choosers. I'll take any scathing article going. Long may it continue and grow in volume.

I don't care in the slightest whether or not a journalist's stance is morally perfect or not (reminds me of the problem of the left).

wolvored

The only way to get rid of the parasites is not buy anything remotely connected to them. That's the smallest merchandise in the club shop all the way to a season ticket. Obviously this will never happen so they will still be here this time next decade.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Joel Glazer is a pig. He's right about that.

The Firestarter

What do you mean?

All the elite team had lost terribly this season. United, Liverpool and City planned this together.

Ole is definitely in the same league as Klopp and Pep. Other clubs having great start, they don't know what's coming.
Where is the white text dude :lol:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This Liverpool/Manchester United idea is scary. The wrong people at the helm. Can never be good for the fans. Glazer Scum Out.

Roboc7

Get the Glazers out. Appoint a quality DoF and let Ole get on with his job with that support. Thats what immediate future success looks like
Do those things and Ole probably gets the boot anyway. Ole, Woodward and the Glazers, none of them are good enough.

The Glazers are here for a long time, it’s easy money and too greedy to leave as they will think there is plenty more money to be made. If fans really don’t want them around no one should go back to Old Trafford once the restrictions end but that’s never going to happen.

bludsucker

The OP has only posted part of the article, the other part he does somewhat go after the Liverpool owners, but he does so along with the Glazers, he doesn't single them out.
Oh didn’t know that as I thought the OP contained the whole article. But that still comes off as an attack on Project Big Picture wrapped in the garb of concern for United fans.