Hero-worship of managers

Skills

Snitch
I can't be the only one finds this really cringey? Especially managers who haven't even done anything for us yet? I mean I get it with Solskjaer because he's a club legend, so there's always going to be a natural bond there.

But Moyes got this awful monstrosity before he'd even had his first game for the club :

And then Mourinho got this awful song :

Surely you're better off just waiting & letting them actually do something worthwhile before you get down on one knee and propose on your first Tinder date?

Eddy_JukeZ

Of all the big clubs, our fanbase seems to give the most leeway to the managers.

The only explanation I have is because of Sir Matt Busby and SAF, we seem to think we'll get another manager who'll be here for 10+ years, so we try to attach ourselves to that manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of all the big clubs, our fanbase seems to give the most leeway to the managers.

The only explanation I have is because of Sir Matt Busby and SAF, we seem to think we'll get another manager who'll be here for 10+ years, so we try to attach ourselves to that manager.
Pretty much, but it doesn’t help when the god of your club tells everybody to stick with the manager and be patient. We feel bad for asking for change.

Sir Scott McToMinay

“Your job now is to stand behind the next manager”.
People still haven’t gotten over this sentence and the Fergie era, it’s like they want to prove a point to other club supporters about how much class we have.

I would personally rather win football matches, class or not.
I’m not even sure what’s so classy about supporting shite managers, but Ole is really next level incompetence, he makes Moyes look like a top tier manager.

Skills

Snitch
People still haven’t gotten over this sentence and the Fergie era, it’s like they want to prove a point to other club supporters about how much class we have.

I’m not even sure what’s so classy about supporting shite managers, but Ole is really next level incompetence, he makes Moyes look like a top tier manager.
Funny how that "support" for the manager turns into vitriol and hate on the players.

The fans should support the club. The manager is just an another employee of the club. Fergie and Busby were exceptions, where the manager and club almost became interchangeable.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ole is self explanatory, I think Moyes was because he was the first manager after SAF and people thought we will win trophies by default.

What I don't understand is hero worship of managers who are sacked and played big role in destroying this club along with Woodward.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Call it what you will but there's nothing wrong with being optimistic when playing the role of a supporter. It certainly makes it more enjoyable.

Skills

Snitch
Ole is self explanatory, I think Moyes was because he was the first manager after SAF and people thought we will win trophies by default.

What I don't understand is hero worship of managers who are sacked and played big role in destroying this club along with Woodward.
Stockholm syndrome

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Do we? We're 6 games into the season with this manager and already the caf loyals are out for blood and want a lamppost for a manager instead.

All while conveniently ignoring the fact that the very king of managers himself had a similar rocky start to the MUFC career.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
I must admit (and im sure a few oppo fans would agree), after years and years of hearing from pundits and fans and ex players how united are different because they stand by their manager. It is nice to see you going through them at the same rough rate as my girlfriends leave me.

Josep Dowling

Funny how that "support" for the manager turns into vitriol and hate on the players.

The fans should support the club. The manager is just an another employee of the club. Fergie and Busby were exceptions, where the manager and club almost became interchangeable.
The managers weren’t exceptions. The difference is they were successful so fans never got on their back. But there were certainly fans that lost patience with Sir Alex early on.

Dr. StrangeHate

I must admit (and im sure a few oppo fans would agree), after years and years of hearing from pundits and fans and ex players how united are different because they stand by their manager. It is nice to see you going through them at the same rough rate as my girlfriends leave me.
I wish that were the case. Currently there is no top club in world football other than Arsenal that give this much time to incompetent managers.
Put it this way if Sheikh Mansoor had hired Kompany and he had Ole's record when would he have been chopped (literally and figuratively) off. Similarly would Moyes have survived Fulham, would Jose have survived Sevilla. That tells you how stupidly patient the club is.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I wish that were the case. Currently there is no top club in world football other than Arsenal that give this much time to incompetent managers.
Put it this way if Sheikh Mansoor had hired Kompany and he had Ole's record when would he have been chopped (literally and figuratively) off. Similarly would Moyes have survived Fulham, would Jose have survived Sevilla. That tells you how stupidly patient the club is.
How many seasons went down the drain due to this stupid patience with failing managers?

Sir Scott McToMinay

Do we? We're 6 games into the season with this manager and already the caf loyals are out for blood and want a lamppost for a manager instead.
He’s been here since December, we’re in a relegation form, what are you talking about?
We’re at the lowest point since 2013 and Ole is by far the worst manager out of those 4.
He’s not good enough, he’s not a PL level manager.

ColvaleGoa

Yeah .let's just bin Ole . Big Sam is available, he will definitely win us the Champions league.

Untied

All while conveniently ignoring the fact that the very king of managers himself had a similar rocky start to the MUFC career.
It's particularly weird because the man best qualified to replace him, Poch, is having a awful run at Spurs

Chipper

Adulterer.
"Ferguson's red and white army" was definitely sung before he won anything with us so perhaps it not that new?

Now I can't remember exactly when it was. If it was during/after 87/88 when we finished 2nd then he'd have done something worthwhile. If it was before then not so much.

Happens with players too, like with Falcao.
Yeah, he had a song very early and did nothing.

Two schools of thought I suppose. Are you singing songs to encourage the individual you're singing about whether that be manager or player, or are you doing it to show them some love and adoration? I'm more in the second camp, and am not a big fan of singing someone's name when still working out if they're any good or not/if I even like them.

Ibrahimovich and Van Persie had songs from pretty much day one too, at least they did well. Currently there's James, Greenwood and Tuanzebe with about 20 games between them. Remember Possebon's?

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

/thread.

JB7

God forbid the supporters at the games support the manager. I suppose we should just stand in silence in banners saying "Ole Out" because Tom, Dick and Harry on RedCafe and social media say that's when needs to happen?

SteveW

This is a load of nonsense.

Supporting your manager and players should always be the default starting point.

stevoc

I can't be the only one finds this really cringey? Especially managers who haven't even done anything for us yet? I mean I get it with Solskjaer because he's a club legend, so there's always going to be a natural bond there.

But Moyes got this awful monstrosity before he'd even had his first game for the club :

And then Mourinho got this awful song :

Surely you're better off just waiting & letting them actually do something worthwhile before you get down on one knee and propose on your first Tinder date?
Pretty sure i read that the club were behind that banner, they asked Stretford End Flags to come up with a Moyes banner to show support for him.

It was cringeworthy as feck though, it was even more cringeworthy when the clown was failing badly and blaming everyone else. Fans wanted to take it down but the club hired security to protect it.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Pretty sure i read that the club were behind that banner, they asked Stretford End Flags to come with a Moyes banner to show support for him.

It was cringeworthy as feck though, it was even more cringeworthy when the clown was failing badly and blaming everyone else. Fans wanted to take it down but the club hired security to protect it.
I didn't actually know about that. Thanks

Bestietom

Ok maybe Ole is not a proven manager and is out of his depth here, but we had proven managers in Van Gaal and Mourinho and it didn't work.
I personally don't think bringing in a manager now or Christmas will change things for the better. You cannot expect to REBUILD quickly with 100million every year to spend. This club needs to look at a lot of things they are doing wrong firstly
We are now in negotiations with Pogba who we read is asking for 500k a week wages to extend his contract, we have already agreed a huge contract with De Gea, Rashford, Martial, Shaw, and others. Do you not think that players should EARN a huge contract like these by performance every week. I mean for 500k a week we should be able to pay 3 mens wages in the same area of the pitch and maybe doing the same or better job.
Same goes for Martial and Rashford, De Gea, and Shaw. We are too freehand with our contracts and this needs more attention, same as transfers.

Greck

Funniest thing about that quote from Fergie was even he didn't stand by it. Once Moyes was relieved he wasted no time in downplaying his role in the appointment and distancing himself from the man. Yet people like Neville are still arguing for Moyes

ZupZup

Imagine going to matches to sit there and moan like the people do on Redcafe... paying £40 or whatever to do a bit of live sulking.

I'd rather go, have a few beers with my mates... support the team and sing till my voice is going. It's such a different culture to watching at home where the only thing you get from that match is watching a screen for 90+ minutes.

cyberman

This goes both ways though. The otherside of the coin is just as bad.
Our ffan base has a bad habit of turning these appointments into a toxic debate, both sides knuckle down and our online base has turned to shit because of it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's the same with players - when you sign a superstar, you usually praise him even before he does anything. See the hype about Ibra, Falcao, Di Maria, Pogba...

Mourinho and van Gaal are superstars (although both had aged horribly). Moyes got support from Fergie himself, so he's an exception. Ole/Giggs were our legends already.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Fans doing their jobs, supporting and celebrating players and managers

Scotty McT

RedCafe posters turning on matchgoing fans is absurd. If you go to games, you should support the players and the manager before and during the game. This is done with songs and banners. If you feel the performance has been disrespectful or whatever, feel free to boo. Don't turn Old Trafford into a place of negativity.

Cloud7

This is a load of nonsense.

Supporting your manager and players should always be the default starting point.
That’s the thing though, we don’t support them equally. The default starting point for United fans, as appears most commonly is: When things are going well, it’s the managers good work. When things are going bad, it’s the players fault.

We should view both equally, but as a fanbase we never seem to do so.

SteveW

That’s the thing though, we don’t support them equally. The default starting point for United fans, as appears most commonly is: When things are going well, it’s the managers good work. When things are going bad, it’s the players fault.

I don't think either should be set in stone. A new manager should be supported and blame should be apportioned as it happens.

Personally I don't really blame our players for being shite. We've spent 7 years bringing players to the club who don't belong here. Most of them seem like honest lads to me. For example, I've been highly critical of Matic, Mata, Pereira, Fred and Lingard today. Barring Fred I think all of these lads are hard working pros trying their best. If we'd signed properly over the years none of these would be playing here.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am simple regarding this. Club is above everything. Success= praise. Fail= criticsm. I don't care who you are, what you did in past for club or how much you give to hungry people in Africa. I don't discriminate. It goes for legends, mercs, players, coaches, owners, cleaning lady...

Of course that i have my favourites but with them i am trying to be objective as much as i can. Cough, cough..mourinho, rooney cough..:)

Skills

Snitch

This