Herrera confirms his departure

settembrini

One of the few players United have signed since Ferguson that I cared about. Good player, great attitude and will be missed. I hope he has a nice time in Paris earning all the money and winning trophies every season.

That being said I don't think it's bad news for United he is leaving. He will be 30 by the start of next season and I think he is a player that will age poorly. Giving him a contract equivalent to what he is supposed to have signed at PSG would have been a big risk. I think we have had his best years and PSG will fund his retirement, which I'm fine with.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
This is what I've been saying.
Our contract renewal system is fecking terrible.
We let Martial get down to his final year before panicking and paying what he wants, same with Luke Shaw.
De Gea is now entering his final year. Fellaini basically got what he wanted as he was in his final year. Herrera has left...

WPMUFC

We gave contracts to Young, Smalling, Jones, Martial etc etc.

We let his contract run down to a point that he could get good offers from rivals. And we decided to "draw the line" at Herrera. :lol::houllier:

We've let the only player with a captain mentality walk on a free. This is pretty much peak MUFC post-SAF.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Meanwhile Jones was given a 4+1 contract

arthurka

Herrera leaving is a a statement to the dire state of this club.

There are very few players at the club who I would be bothered if they left but Herrera is certainly one.

Hope he does well at his new club and thanks for all the shithousery.

All the best Herrera you will be missed.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wouldn't mind if I knew I wouldn't be seeing these clowns as well.

Hoboman

Was great servant for the club, very passionate, combative and irrepressible. He offers much more than nowadays Matic and shouldn't leave the club before Serbian.

With Ander's departure, Matic's declining and uncertainty with Pogba, midfield are facing yet another overhaul. Hope this time that will not be a total failure.

Green_Red

Never seen a player make a video like that for the fans, theres a lot of respect for the fans and the club in there.. I'm not sure he actually wanted to leave. I never felt like he reached his true potential here, unlucky for him to join in a period where we've not been a stable club, I think he would have achieved a lot more here in another era. Best of luck.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don’t blame him for leaving. Not one bit. He’s in a better place now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Thanks for his efforts, but with the greatest of respect, I hope to not see Herrera wearing the shirt again. There's plenty of others who want to continue at United and I would rather see them involved. I'll be disgusted if we spend part of Sunday focussing on both a club captain who has been completely derelict in his duty, and a readily replaceable journeyman midfielder who has never held quite managed to secure a consistent first team place.

R'hllor

Hope its first one among tones of them leaving this summer.

BiggusCrickus

Shame because Ander was a good player who gave it his all. But what we need is great players in the midfield and this free's up a spot for someone to step in

El Zoido

Fantastic player and a big loss to the team. Whoever we replace him with will not be an upgrade.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’m sad he’s going, but it’s not a massive deal.

Criticising the club for this and comparing him to Jones is mental. Maybe he asked for a massive pay rise but Jones was happy on a reduced wage?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s a shame mourinho never renewed his contract.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Shambolic that we allowed his contract to run down.

I think we have enough problems with the squad, we dont need to be creating more by mismanaging contracts and letting the few quality players we have leave on a free.

I like him as a player, but also i admired his attitude. He always gave 150%, and that might not sound like much, but with our squad, that is a great starting point.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Good luck ander, can't blame you given the way this was handled. Thanks for everything.

Born2Lose

If he doesn't want to be here glad to see him go. Must have been watching a different player to a lot of posters. At times a our best player on the pitch, but far too infrequently for a team wanting to be competitive again. Hopefully he takes Mata with him.

Says a lot about the bloke I think that he's signing for PSG instead of a team in a competitive league. €€€

bdecuc

Always felt he spent too much time thinking about his own PR. Can't say I'll particularly miss him. Good player. Not a great player. Buy great players.

arnie_ni

Gutted to be honest. He's about the only player i can connect with at the moment. No one else seems to care

Cashmore8

Not happy about it at all. Ok (if) he might of been asking for a lot, but compared to some of the wages certain wasters are getting its nothing! Herrera breathes and bleeds utd, these are the players we want at the club. Players that would die for the club, even if he ended up just a squad player he brings more to the team than the likes of Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Sanchez.....i could go on.
We let the wrong guy go again

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Shame he is leaving. He is our second best midfielder. Club messed his contract renewal.

Renegade81

Yeah poor bloke, had to wait until the final 12 months of his current contract before getting a new offer. Fecking monsters we are, don't know how he had the will to carry on under those conditions, fecking abhorrent working conditions.

Meanwhile Sport Direct workers are on 0 hour contracts and scraping by.

Good perception.

Beside reasons for leaving, the guy had everything but genuine quality. He has a position which can very much be upgraded and improved upon. Not sure why there is so much anguish with regards to him leaving. Nice guy and that but for me personally that's where the buck stops.

stu_1992

Disappointed to see this confirmed, though obviously not a surprise. The video of his departure is a bit weird but whatever. Shame, he's one of the few who were keeping. Plenty of others could go before him. Not too long ago a lot of people, myself included, had him down as their next captain.

Patrick08

What a disgrace.. You extend jones and smalling and rojo..possibly mata too. But not the team man and hardest worker in the club Herrera.. Just because he is 29 and your new dumb policy does not allow it. Such a shame

Only a business club can make this decision while I am sure, we won't be replacing him in the team buying a 3rd midfielder.

Forget the title for 3 more years.. I am totally ashamed of what this club has become today.

If you can't give him what he wants then sell him and reinvest the money, but you let your asset become a free agent and lose out on the fee as well and sabotage your own teams chances in next upcoming seasons.

This is exactly like arsenal. The clubs mentality has rotten and stinks.

Ef off Woodward you stink.

Pretty sure this also resulted poor form of de gea and other players which resulted in us being dumped out of top 4.

RyRy11

Not only have we lost a solid player we’ve lost about £20/30m in a transfer fee. Stupid.

EwanI Ted

Shame. Not someone to build your team around, but he's far from the biggest problem we need to sort out. Now we have yet another player we need to replace but with no income from a sale to cover it. Just means we have less money to spend on other areas. Daft outcome.

Castia

It’s a bit sad really and we’re losing a player that actually cares for the club.

It just highlights what a joke the club is. Mediocre, injury prone players being awarded with new deals whilst the guys who actually deserve a decent contract are walking away.

I’m beginning to despise the management at United.

It was funny watching Arsenal in previous years struggle for top 4 and losing important players on free contracts yet where turning into that exact club.

dove

I, like many of our fans I guess wouldn't mind Herrera leaving as unfortunately he is probably not good enough to play in our starting XI every week. But seeing absolute dross and a definition of mediocrity like Jones and Young getting new contracts it just makes my blood boil. It's borderline racist.

arnie_ni

Not only have we lost a solid player we’ve lost about £20/30m in a transfer fee. Stupid.
And to replace him we would need to spend over 50 id imagine.

Thats not even before considering matic needs replaced

ArjenIsM3

Absolutely gutted. He's one of the few players who always gave it his all, never complained and was a leader on the pitch for us. Terrible time to lose him. Will make Ole's job even harder. We've not replaced Fellaini and now we have to replace Herrera too. Plus Matic his legs have gone. We've almost no midfield left :(

Can't blame Ander though. This is all on Woodward.