Herrera confirms his departure

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I haven't kept up to date on this story. Is he basically just leaving for money? That seems so unlike the character he's portrayed, but perhaps he's been acting the whole time.

Bratt

Always sad to see a player who gave his all every time he played go, but if this club is to move in the right direction he is nothing more than a squad player imo.

He was offered a fair contract here, but chose to reject, and I actually feel the club did right by not giving into his demands.

Wish him all the best, but not losing any sleep over this.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I mean, 60k might have been too little compared to what Jones and co. are making, but if the reported "close to 200k" is anywhere near correct I can understand why the club would be reticent to acquiesce.
My understanding is that the two offers are similar in terms of how much he gets per week, but we were only offering 2 years while PSG are giving him the 4 years that he wanted. Combine that with us leaving it quite late to offer him one, apparently him being unhappy that he was only notified about last years contract extension by post instead of in person, over the years he's been here he's quite consistently been left on the bench, and ultimately how poorly run the club seems to have been, it's not that much of a surprise that he was convinced to leave for a club where he's almost guaranteed to fight for titles.

It's a shame, but good luck to him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Arse-retchingly awful video. As someone said on Twitter, he’s replaceable but wouldn’t have been one of the first 10 I’d have replaced.

ants7

Personally, very sad to see him leave.

However - I am going the board and the "we can do better"-camp a chance to prove me wrong and keep my valuation of this situation to myself til the end of the transfer window. Lets see if we really can do better and if this is a part of the clubs transfer plans.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope he is allowed to lead the line out tomorrow, although I'm certain it will be Valencia (which tbf is deserved as well)

Patrick08

Always sad to see a player who gave his all every time he played go, but if this club is to move in the right direction he is nothing more than a squad player imo.

He was offered a fair contract here, but chose to reject, and I actually feel the club did right by not giving into his demands.

As if we will sign a player to replace him. We sabotaged our own team, enough to lose sleep for me.

arnie_ni

United offered Herrera a significant wage hike but feeling from his side was they lacked the human touch. That said, it rarely reflects well when a player joins such a hollow club like the Qatari-owned PSG. But they’re in the Champions League and United aren’t. Nuances aplenty.

From Sam L

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

So you think we will sign some mega player to replace him. It will either be someone another big club doesn't want any longer, usually because their legs have gone, or a young player, which could be good, or will buckle under the pressure or someone the fans have been clamouring for who will be a complete disappointment.

izec

I haven't kept up to date on this story. Is he basically just leaving for money? That seems so unlike the character he's portrayed, but perhaps he's been acting the whole time.
No, he is leaving because we didnt give him a concrete contract offer earlier. He decided to leave on a free last year. We basically didnt value him and thought we could save it in his last year. He had a strong position and the club didnt think he was worth his demands, so he of course left for a club that made more effort to sign him rhan we for renewing. I dont think he gets much more money at PSG, but a longer contract than here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He kept benching him and replaced him with Matic. But this will get overlooked.
Yep. We took 2 steps backwards signing Matic.

Pogba and Herrera were a decent pair back then, it just ruined all our momentum.

C'est Moi Cantona

Herrera and Fellaini gone, so that's a minimum of two midfielders we need now, a position that is one of the most difficult to get the right players for, also we have Pogba unsettled, Fred pretty useless, and Matic very much on the way down, good stuff.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Not fond of him leaving and the likes of Young, Jones, and Smalling being offered a contract.

He's been a very good player for us no matter whoever our coach was. Even under van Gaal, he was pushed aside, but still got himself back to the first 11 because of his performances. I don't know how some fans can consider him as a averag, while praising others for 'putting in a shift'. He's had MotM performances for us, while being industrious. And he's been a leader on the pitch while our actual leaders were nothing but wank.

He didn't deserve to be dicked around by the club with his contract, while lesser players around him are on bigger contracts. We can replace him, and he isn't a generational talent or worldclass tier, but a player like him leaving due to the incompetence of this club is juts too much to take.

WPMUFC

and I actually feel the club did right by not giving into his demands.

So we give into the demands of all the other crap players, but herrera is the one we draw the line at? The only reason the wage demands were so stupid is because we let the negotiations run down to nothing. Herrera re-signs 18 months ago, on a "normal" wage, and none of this even gets discussed. But alas, PSG could offer the world because it's a free transfer.

We are we in such a rush to re-sign young, jones, smalling, martial. Yet the only player in the squad with a captain mentality is run down to the last minute on a contract?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems like he felt insulted that his contract was left to run so long. PSG eventually gave him a great contract offer to compensate for a free transfer, Woodward refuses to match it.

I’m sure the finer details will come to light soon but somehow one of our first choice midfielders has been allowed to walk for free.

Next up De Gea :lol:

izec

My understanding is that the two offers are similar in terms of how much he gets per week, but we were only offering 2 years while PSG are giving him the 4 years that he wanted. Combine that with us leaving it quite late to offer him one, apparently him being unhappy that he was only notified about last years contract extension by post instead of in person, over the years he's been here he's quite consistently been left on the bench, and ultimately how poorly run the club seems to have been, it's not that much of a surprise that he was convinced to leave for a club where he's almost guaranteed to fight for titles.

It's a shame, but good luck to him.
:lol: Shambles. Maybe the club thought he is a fan and wants to renew his membership

imamuppet

Im also very sad to see Ander go in the manner it has happened.

A true red.

The number of bitters in here is flabbergasting, you must have such sorry lives, hope you can find joy and happiness instead of bitterness.

As for Ander, I wish you all the best and hope you find the respect you deserve.

:)

Patrick08

Herrera and Fellaini gone, so that's a minimum of two midfielders we need now, a position that is one of the most difficult to get the right players for, also we have Pogba unsettled, Fred pretty useless, and Matic very much on the way down, good stuff.
We already needed to replace deadweight matic, and replace fellani as well while keeping Herrera. Now we need 3 and we aren't going to sign a 3rd. Letting go a player who provided midfield stability to our midfield.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Bye.

I respect him for always giving his all, but signing average players like him is one of the reasons we are where we are.

sugar_kane

Really disappointing and I'm sure Ole is disappointed to see him go, he seems like he would fit the mold of what we're trying to achieve ie. high pressing, aggressive, hard working, and he gives a shit.

Big loss and possibly the first time I've been sad to see a player go in the post-Fergie era.

SER19

Loved herrera we should have made sure to keep him.

Not sure about the video though, talking about the club like that while he's essentially turning his back on it for money. No credible player will move from England to French league for sporting reasons.

Patrick08

Bye.

I respect him for always giving his all, but signing average players like him is one of the reasons we are where we are.
What about matic? Our managers couldnt make proper use of him and then you call him average.

Mugiwarared71

This one hurts my heart honestly all these players who don't care about the club the one man who does and we treat him like this Manchester United have to fix up.

Last edited by a moderator:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Most of United's better performances had him in the line-up.

Pleased that Ander's getting mostly positive wishes; the salty ones calling him a money-grabber etc. are pathetic.

If we'd offered him say £130-£150K a year earlier, I guarantee he'd have signed. I think it was the lackadaisical attitude towards renewing his contract and subsequent feeling of not being valued that's led to his departure.

Secondly, even though £200K is certainly too steep for a player with his limitations (though he's still been a good signing), those accusing him of chasing the money should take into account that the fact he didn't quibble with £70K for years is impressive when you compare his salary to others in the squad - so many players with far less ability are on far more money:
  • Phil Jones is on £120K for God's sake, and he's a terrible footballer who's also always injured.
  • Martial, a perennial sulker who delivers once every 10 matches and doesn't give a solitary shit is on £250K.
  • Juan Mata, who I love as a human being but is pretty much on a par with Herrera in terms of his contribution is on £140K.
  • Matic has been largely shocking for us and is on £120K.
  • Ashley Young is on £110K. Ashley Young. Let that sink in for a moment.
  • Jesse "I don't score or assist" Lingard is on £100K.
Being paid significantly less than these wasters must have pissed Ander off no end and contributed towards his excessive demands.

Lastly, here's a question to those criticising Herrera - if you were a Spanish born player who didn't grow up as a United fan, would you really turn down this offer from PSG, even if you grew to love United?

He's getting a £130K pay rise, guaranteed league titles for the next few years, and guaranteed CL knockout football. It's petulant to expect every United player to hold the same undying loyalty to the club that you do as a supporter. If you were offered a new job that trebled your salary, no one would criticise accepting this, even if you had an affinity with your current company.

Reactions: harms

FujiVice

Not sure about the video though, talking about the club like that while he's essentially turning his back on it for money.
How is he turning his back on the club for money? The board didnt offer him anything during his negotiation period last year. You think any top player would have stayed if they'd have been treated like that?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yep. We took 2 steps backwards signing Matic.

Pogba and Herrera were a decent pair back then, it just ruined all our momentum.
To be fair Pogba and Matic were also a good combination (arguably better) for a while there. Obviously Matic couldn't sustain that form though and it's a bit ridiculous how he's been an ever present since then no matter how poor his form has been, while Herrera has largely been in and out of the team.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What about matic? Our managers couldnt make proper use of him and then you call him average.
To be honest mate I couldn't give a feck about any of this lot, they've done nothing for fan loyalty maybe only DDG is exempt.

It's also funny to see the double standards, the meltdowns when we gave Smalling and Jones contracts and when we finally do the right thing and start offloading dead weight it's a bad thing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Bye.

He wasn't world class but he's certainly a decent player to have around unlike most of the squad.

Bratt

As if we will sign a player to replace him. We sabotaged our own team, enough to lose sleep for me.
We’re sabotaging the team by giving high wages to not good enough players, he had a choice to stay here.

So you think we will sign some mega player to replace him. It will either be someone another big club doesn't want any longer, usually because their legs have gone, or a young player, which could be good, or will buckle under the pressure or someone the fans have been clamouring for who will be a complete disappointment.
I’m not sure I want a mega player to replace him. I have faith in OGS to take this club in the right direction, and I hope the days of signing other clubs dead meat is long gone.

Minimalist

Sorry to start with this but what a cringeworthy wanky video that is. Whoever decided on that needs a slap.

Otherwise good luck to him. Had his moments but not good enough ultimately for what we expected from him when he came in. Clearly doesn’t care that much if he’s going to PSG of all places (to likely sitting on another bench).

sugar_kane

Loved herrera we should have made sure to keep him.

Not sure about the video though, talking about the club like that while he's essentially turning his back on it for money. No credible player will move from England to French league for sporting reasons.
He wouldn't have been talking to other clubs in the first place had his contract been sorted by United earlier.

Ander was not chasing money, his agent just found him the best possible package at a Champions League club. Let's not forget he paid Bilbao out of his own pocket to secure a move to United.

There's also nothing wrong with the video, simple and heartfelt. I'd take that all day over Pogba dancing or Sanchez pretending to play the piano.

gr3yham3

All the best Ander.

Now that is out of the way, helps us to move forward with new signings to replace his energy in the middle of the park. Fernandes can play in CM when needed (to replace Sanchez/Mata also) and Godfrey (who I think can be a great DM) for me.