Herrera confirms his departure

C'est Moi Cantona

We already needed to replace deadweight matic, and replace fellani as well while keeping Herrera. Now we need 3 and we aren't going to sign a 3rd. Letting go a player who provided midfield stability to our midfield.
To me Fred is more an issue than Matic, he can just be a fairly solid bench option from time to time, Fred needed to be someone who we could look to really stepping up this season as the main man, but he looked miles off anything like that last season.

So basically we now have Pogba and Mctominay as starters, and one of them wants out, and the other wouldn't get a kick atm at any other top club.

We need two midfielders minimum, and both need to be ready to go into the starting team straight away, no idea how the heck are we going to find them.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's also funny to see the double standards, the meltdowns when we gave Smalling and Jones contracts and when we finally do the right thing and start offloading dead weight it's a bad thing.
Jones is a significantly different option than Herrera and Smalling. The latter two arguably aren't good enough to take us back to the top as first choice, but at the very least they are solid squad players who rarely let us down. Letting them go means we not only have to replace them in the starting team, but we also have to replace the squad role that they would have moved into. Jones, like Rojo and perhaps Young, can't be relied on so should be the squad players that we let go.

Patrick08

To be honest mate I couldn't give a feck about any of this lot, they've done nothing for fan loyalty maybe only DDG is exempt.

It's also funny to see the double standards, the meltdowns when we gave Smalling and Jones contracts and when we finally do the right thing and start offloading dead weight it's a bad thing.
You call Herrera a dead weight? Look at our absolute pathetic form without him. If he is a dead weight psg who now has bigger and better ambitions than mannunited wouldn't have offered him such a contract.

Talk about fan loyalty, the first loyalty he has is to take care of his family then the football family. If we can't take care of his family and him with a poor contract offer while other deadweight get carried around for nothing, this is the rotten mentality which has made us a banter club amongst our rivals while other clubs are competing and we are a mid table hollow brand since than.

Nr.7

Probably my favorite player in post-ferguson era.

The fact that we let him go on a free while renewing the likes of Jones and Young makes me pesimistic about the future of this club.

Cockney Phil

Pleased that Ander's getting mostly positive wishes; the salty ones calling him a money-grabber etc. are pathetic.

If we'd offered him say £130-£150K a year earlier, I guarantee he'd have signed. I think it was the lackadaisical attitude towards renewing his contract and subsequent feeling of not being valued that's led to his departure.

Secondly, even though £200K is certainly too steep for a player with his limitations (though he's still been a good signing), those accusing him of chasing the money should take into account that the fact he didn't quibble with £70K for years is impressive when you compare his salary to others in the squad - so many players with far less ability are on far more money:
  • Phil Jones is on £120K for God's sake, and he's a terrible footballer who's also always injured.
  • Martial, a perennial sulker who delivers once every 10 matches and doesn't give a solitary shit is on £250K.
  • Juan Mata, who I love as a human being but is pretty much on a par with Herrera in terms of his contribution is on £140K.
  • Matic has been largely shocking for us and is on £120K.
  • Ashley Young is on £110K. Ashley Young. Let that sink in for a moment.
  • Jesse "I don't score or assist" Lingard is on £100K.
Being paid significantly less than these wasters must have pissed Ander off no end and contributed towards his excessive demands.

Lastly, here's a question to those criticising Herrera - if you were a Spanish born player who didn't grow up as a United fan, would you really turn down this offer from PSG, even if you grew to love United?

He's getting a £130K pay rise, guaranteed league titles for the next few years, and guaranteed CL knockout football. It's petulant to expect every United player to hold the same undying loyalty to the club that you do as a supporter. If you were offered a new job that trebled your salary, no one would criticise accepting this, even if you had an affinity with your current company.

Interesting parallels but doesn’t the question of weekly wages all boil down to the ridiculous amount given to Sanchez for what has to be the most shameful performance of a United player in living memory.

Patrick08

We’re sabotaging the team by giving high wages to not good enough players, he had a choice to stay here.
Not good enough players? Really? And who are good enough? Pogba? Martial? Matic? Mata? Smalling?

sugar_kane

On the bright side, Ander's departure is quite handy in working out who all the morons are on the forum, it's the ones saying good riddance, enjoy the money etc.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Pleased that Ander's getting mostly positive wishes; the salty ones calling him a money-grabber etc. are pathetic.

If we'd offered him say £130-£150K a year earlier, I guarantee he'd have signed. I think it was the lackadaisical attitude towards renewing his contract and subsequent feeling of not being valued that's led to his departure.

Secondly, even though £200K is certainly too steep for a player with his limitations (though he's still been a good signing), those accusing him of chasing the money should take into account that the fact he didn't quibble with £70K for years is impressive when you compare his salary to others in the squad - so many players with far less ability are on far more money:
  • Phil Jones is on £120K for God's sake, and he's a terrible footballer who's also always injured.
  • Martial, a perennial sulker who delivers once every 10 matches and doesn't give a solitary shit is on £250K.
  • Juan Mata, who I love as a human being but is pretty much on a par with Herrera in terms of his contribution is on £140K.
Being paid significantly less than these wasters must have pissed Ander off no end and contributed towards his excessive demands.

Lastly, here's a question to those criticising Herrera - if you were a Spanish born player who didn't grow up as a United fan, would you really turn down this offer from PSG, even if you grew to love United?

He's getting a £130K pay rise, guaranteed league titles for the next few years, and guaranteed CL knockout football. It's petulant to expect every United player to hold the same undying loyalty to the club that you do as a supporter. If you were offered a new job that trebled your salary, no one would criticise accepting this, even if you had an affinity with your current company.

You have no idea what wage our players are on,

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I think we’ll get over this departure handily enough.

King Eric 7

I can't bring myself to watch the video, it sounds too cringeworthy.

I will miss Ander more for the passion he brings to the club.

I do fear for our midfield, since Pogba doesn't seem to want to be here and that doesn't leave a lot of quality in the middle of the park. Fine, let's go and buy two replacements but it's going to take a while for the new midfield to gel.

Dinghy

He probably would, because he wasn't a starter for Mourinho most of the time and PSG probably wasn't interested at the time. And then everyone on here would have lost their shit because we offered a bench-player 150K a week.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
It seems like he felt insulted that his contract was left to run so long. PSG eventually gave him a great contract offer to compensate for a free transfer, Woodward refuses to match it.

I’m sure the finer details will come to light soon but somehow one of our first choice midfielders has been allowed to walk for free.

Next up De Gea :lol:
I'm sure we're going to keep seeing more and more players leaving on a free. That's how you get the real big salaries.

hobbers

Can't fault him at this stage of his career, and with the club in such a mess, wanting to go to a new league with a club guaranteed to win the title, reasonable chance of CL success, and paid easily 1.5x or more what we were willing to offer him.

Even a half-wit football/technical director would have been able to predict this is what will happen when you neglect important squad players' contracts and then go and obliterate the wage structure to sign a galactico name for the wrong reasons.

But it's fine, at least we tied down Smalling, Jones and Young, right? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Chillosophy

This situation, like many others in the past few (many) years, have been treated extremely poorly by the club.

Patrick08

I can't bring myself to watch the video, it sounds too cringeworthy.

I will miss Ander more for the passion he brings to the club.

I do fear for our midfield, since Pogba doesn't seem to want to be here and that doesn't leave a lot of quality in the middle of the park. Fine, let's go and buy two replacements but it's going to take a while for the new midfield to gel.
We already needed fellani and matic replacements, now we need 3.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You call Herrera a dead weight? Look at our absolute pathetic form without him. If he is a dead weight psg who now has bigger and better ambitions than mannunited wouldn't have offered him such a contract.

Talk about fan loyalty, the first loyalty he has is to take care of his family then the football family. If we can't take care of his family and him with a poor contract offer while other deadweight get carried around for nothing, this is the rotten mentality which has made us a banter club amongst our rivals while other clubs are competing and we are a mid table hollow brand since than.
Imo he will be a bench player for Psg, which is his level at a top team. The fact that he's free also helps with their FFP woes so another good reason for them to sign him.

I've got no issue with him leaving, I meant fan loyalty in terms of backing any of these players no matter what, imo they've had their chances.

Axle17

So sad. Really thought he was next in line to be our captain but guess it wasn't to be.
Really loved the guy and thought he was a true representation of United - the baby faced assassin #2.

I feel like we owe him an apology because we werent able to deliver him a Premier league championship while he was here. Very sad indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil81

Can't believe so many are being nice about this, we paid good money for the man. He should respect the club enough to allow us to get some sort of fee for him.

Sign a one year deal and then let the club get a small fee for selling you.

goin4glory

To me Fred is more an issue than Matic, he can just be a fairly solid bench option from time to time, Fred needed to be someone who we could look to really stepping up this season as the main man, but he looked miles off anything like that last season.

So basically we now have Pogba and Mctominay as starters, and one of them wants out, and the other wouldn't get a kick atm at any other top club.

We need two midfielders minimum, and both need to be ready to go into the starting team straight away, no idea how the heck are we going to find them.
Fred is a quality midfielder. He needs to be used correctly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My understanding is that the two offers are similar in terms of how much he gets per week, but we were only offering 2 years while PSG are giving him the 4 years that he wanted. Combine that with us leaving it quite late to offer him one, apparently him being unhappy that he was only notified about last years contract extension by post instead of in person, over the years he's been here he's quite consistently been left on the bench, and ultimately how poorly run the club seems to have been, it's not that much of a surprise that he was convinced to leave for a club where he's almost guaranteed to fight for titles.

It's a shame, but good luck to him.
I don't know how it works today but I'm pretty sure that these type of things used to be announced by SAF, in his office. I seem to remember SAF or a player mention it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Only if we are strong enough to spend 300 m. But we are not.
Course we are.

Fellaini, Valencia and Herrera clears a massive chunk of the wage bill. As does Mourinho. As will other departures.

We’re gonna spend massive amounts this summer. Hopefully spent well.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Let’s face it, likeable and useful as he was at times he ranks somewhere below Nicky Butt in the hierarchy of United CMs over the years.

Fecking frustrating. Of all the terrible decisions this club has made in the last few years this is right up there with the worst of them. He should have been one of the last players we allowed to leave.

Minimalist

He probably would, because he wasn't a starter for Mourinho most of the time and PSG probably wasn't interested at the time. And then everyone one on here would have lost their shit because we offered a bench-player 150K a week.
People seem to be glossing over that every manager since he arrived has been hot and cold with him.
No I've got no issue with him leaving, I meant fan loyalty in terms of backing any of these players no matter what, imo they've had their chances.
Don’t really get it myself. Nothing against Herrera at all myself but he’s hardly much to write home about as a player.

steakpie

Re-Contracted:
Jones
Young
Smalling
Lingard

But not Herrera. No wonder we are failing.

WPMUFC

We didn't come to the table early enough.

We got played by PSG.

We let him go and only cared about re-signing useless has-been's and mediocre "talent".

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
One of the few that actually gives everything, so in a way we’re letting the wrong player leave. But oh well, we’ll move on. Cheers Ander, good luck.

Patrick08

Course we are.

Fellaini, Valencia and Herrera clears a massive chunk of the wage bill. As does Mourinho. As will other departures.

We’re gonna spend massive amounts this summer. Hopefully spent well.
Massive amounts? Doubt it will be more than 200 m out of which majority of the chunk will go to a overprized defender who will take half of our budget. This is how we are badly run.

We already needed 2 midfielders to compete with Herrera staying. Now we need 3.

Likes of Man city and Liverpool will dominate us in next seasons.

AFC NimbleThumb

the state of some of our fans.

there are people in this thread making guarantees he ‘would’ have signed ffs! are you his agent? or indeed herrera himself? seriously people need to remember our place - we’re fans of a club, an institution - very few have ‘insider’ knowledge so let’s work with the facts.

no one knows the exact date he was initially offered a contract but allowing him to run into his last year was [again] incompetent.

for someone that loves the club & runs through walls he’s been very absent this year [cant blame a man for being injured] but his linked with psg then is suddenly out of the picture for weeks - ok ander.

he spent 5 years at the club & won multiple medals but was never the difference maker for the big trophies. very good squad option but chose paris over manchester.

i wish the guy the best of luck, he said a lot of the right things [even though multiple times his performances didn’t live up to the promises] but given how club legends have been treated when leaving by some of our fans i won’t be crying over his loss - the squad as a whole needs improvement, herrera is not a difference maker so farewell & we go again.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
If we offered him a deal a year ago, when we told him we were taking our fifth year option I reckon he would have signed it. Now he's going for a long contract and a good job and I can't begrudge him that.

Equally I do see why United didn't offer him a renewal 18 months ago. He wasn't an automatic first choice, he's had a few injuries and he was coming up to the magic 30. You win some, you lose some when you make gambles like that.

crossy1686

career ending

We didn't come to the table early enough.

We got played by PSG.

We let him go and only cared about re-signing useless has-been's and mediocre "talent".
:houllier:

He was offered a contract the same as the others. They signed and he didn't but that's our fault?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Re-Contracted:
Jones
Young
Smalling
Lingard

But not Herrera. No wonder we are failing.
But... they could have wanted a contract in line with their performances whereas Herrera wanted a massive pay rise.

If we have kept Smalling, Young, Jones and Lingard on for roughly 250k that’s great business. If Herrera wanted 250k alone that’s an issue. It fully depends on demands.