Man Utd​
6.12​
Liverpool​
5.51​
Ath. Madrid​
5.37​
Arsenal​
4.78​

Surprised me. I thought United were above City and Munich in wages paid.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Damn, Barca's is proper mental. I know Messi is on insane money but it can't just be because of him?

Havak

Pokemon master
Is this with Sanchez removed?

If we sell the right players, sign the ones we want and give Pogba the new contract, I still think we can come out with a lower wage bill yet again.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Average wage paid

£ m​
Barcelona​
9.37​
Real Madrid​
8.50​
Juventus​
7.71​
Man City​
6.98​
PSG​
6.81​
Bayern Munich​
6.19​
Man Utd​
6.12​
Liverpool​
5.51​
Ath. Madrid​
5.37​
Arsenal​
4.78​

Surprised me. I thought United were above City and Munich in wages paid.
Isnt it amazing how everyone believes all the stuff written about our players wages. De Gea on 375k a week,Rashers 200k a week,Pogba 200k a week etc. Yet we dont hear much about other clubs players.

Raw

That's pretty surprising actually. Also surprised at how high Arsenal are ranked (even if they're still quite a distance from the rest). Ozil's probably a huge chunk of that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Arsenal finish 8th in the league yet have a wage bill that is 10th highest in Europe. Instead of trying to reduce this they let off 55 members of staff, try and up the wages of one of their highest earners and try to bring in more players that will up that even higher. Makes sense.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Pique, Griezmann, Rakitic, Alba.

Modric, Kroos, Benzema, Bale, Ramos, Courtois, Hazard.

Lemansky

Arsenal finish 8th in the league yet have a wage bill that is 10th highest in Europe. Instead of trying to reduce this they let off 55 members of staff, try and up the wages of one of their highest earners and try to bring in more players that will up that even higher. Makes sense.
Its actually scandalous business. Willian on huge wages and long term contract on top.

They should sell of their highest earners (Auba) and buy young hungry players. They are killing themselves slowly with the current approach.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I suspect Arsenal will overtake us soon if what we’re read to believe as regards to who they’re bringing in, Auba’s new contract, Willian’s wages if and if they can’t shift Ozil out.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Original source

You can see from the charts on the original source site why the PL is the toughest of the lot. Every other league has 1 or 2 clubs that vastly outspend their rivals, whereas the PL is a lot more evenly spread.

That said, I do wonder how reliable the figures are when they're measuring 'average of first team members'. Are they measuring from the same player sample size? How many matches does a player need to have played to be counted? Are loaned out players counted?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Original source

You can see from the charts on the original source site why the PL is the toughest of the lot. Every other league has 1 or 2 clubs that vastly outspend their rivals, whereas the PL is a lot more evenly spread.

That said, I do wonder how reliable the figures are when they're measuring 'average of first team members'. Are they measuring from the same player sample size? How many matches does a player need to have played to be counted? Are loaned out players counted?
I don't know if this has been updated because we have let a lot of players go this summer (Niasse, Martina, Schneiderlin - all on around 50-100k per week) and it still has us at £4.1m which was what it was prior to them leaving. I'd expect ours to be around 3.5ish after player departures this summer which is still poor for where we are in the league. I'd also expect that to rise again to around 4m with signings so basically we need to aim for at least 6th next year based on 'wages'.

the hea

None of these are "the real" figures. Where does Man United disclose their player wages?
We don't disclose our players wages but in the annual report you can find the total wage cost for the club. This of course includes everyone employed by the club so the wages of the players should be a fair bit lower.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
We don't disclose our players wages but in the annual report you can find the total wage cost for the club. This of course includes everyone employed by the club so the wages of the players should be a fair bit lower.

Am I reading that right in that it says you paid £293,424,000 in wages and bonuses in 2019?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Don't most clubs just take their footballers into account while we include all staff?

Dan_F

Is that with the 25% non Champions League wage cut for this season?

Amarsdd

Am I reading that right in that it says you paid £293,424,000 in wages and bonuses in 2019?
Revenue for 2019 was about 630M and wages (all employees) was meant to be just under 50% of the revenue. Based on that, 293M sounds about right.

Basso

Abysmal management by Barcelona. It's the most attractive club in the world to play for! Hence they should be able to pay less than their rivals. Very impressed that Chelsea is not even in the top 10, so their CEO Marina Granovskaia is the true VIP.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

That's right. But as a proportion of our revenue it's not bad. I think most clubs seem to operate between 50-60% of revenue on wages.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That's right. But as a proportion of our revenue it's not bad. I think most clubs seem to operate between 50-60% of revenue on wages.
Sure.

I'm just wondering how they got the figures in the OP from that. We know the official numbers include all staff, how do we know what the "players only" bit is?

UpWithRivers

Mata being the highest paid bench player doesnt help - 5.3 mill for 8 appearances or something. Its a little skewed because Ozil never made a appearance off the bench and also it doesnt count other competitions. However our deadwood and B team are probably the best paid reserves in the world or at least up there and have the least ability. At least it will be much better after getting rid of Sanchez.