Highest Priority Needs

croadyman

This is a perfect example of the point I have made over and over about financial doping and breaking FFP rules vs having money BUT having to adhere to rules/budgets.

The fact is, there is no one priority position. For this team to function properly, we need a CF who can press and score goals...but we'd be light with just one senior CF, so we really need two.

However...its really no good for ETHs preferred system if we have pressing forwards but only one pressing '8', so we also really need Mount (or similar) for the forward line to work effectively defensively and as an attacking unit. We also need cover for Casemiro, who isn't getting any younger and is prone to a suspension.

BUT....its equally important that we can progress the ball through the midfield, and that starts from the back...so a goalkeeper is also essential, as is a RB really, as well as AWB has done.

Whilst we're at it, we also need a CB for cover, since Varane is increasingly fragile.

So...if you're not constrained by budgets/rules....you do everything at once and realise the GIGANTIC benefits of doing that i.e. players who fit the right profile, players at the right age, players who can play the managers style. After two or three big Summer windows, you buy the luxury of time and forward-planning, and can add one or two players at a time.

The bottom line is, we need 2 x CFs, 1 x '8', 1 x CM, 1 x CB, 1 x RB, 2 x GK - as a minimum. All are arguably equally important since lack of goals, lack of cover at CB, lack of midfield options, a poor goalkeeper and no real attacking threat from RB all cost us significantly last season.

Having said all that...if I had to pick one position, and one position only to address it would be GK, purely because for my own sanity I cannot watch another season of DDG
Maybe swap second GK for backup AM

newgiz

I am hoping that we could at least get 5 players in, and if we could then I think our priorities should be as follows

1 - Striker - There's nothing more to be said than what has been said already. Its a difficult market and there's a dearth in quality (apart from the obvious options) , so I am hoping our Scouting and EtH are able to find a gem here.
2 - Goalkeeper - Teams will exploit our lack of ability to play from the back and even more in the upcoming season. Love DDG but its time to explore other options.
3 - CM - Need a partner for Case and Bruno. Eriksen can't do it anymore over 90 mins.

4 - CB - A 3rd CB who can take over from Varane.
5 - CM - DLP/DM Cover, someone like Rabiot
So just revisiting this thread, we have got our 3 main priorities sorted before the beginning of August. This is really good and finally we seem to be getting our act together in terms of transfer strategy.

I suppose 4 and 5 are subject to outgoings. Amrabat looks to be one of our options. A CB doesn't seem to be in consideration this window though.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
So just revisiting this thread, we have got our 3 main priorities sorted before the beginning of August. This is really good and finally we seem to be getting our act together in terms of transfer strategy.

I suppose 4 and 5 are subject to outgoings. Amrabat looks to be one of our options. A CB doesn't seem to be in consideration this window though.
Looks like we all got it pretty much spot on with the priorities. Looks like we're getting a CB (Think Maguire will go), back up DM (Mctominay, Fred and Donny will all go) and back up GK (Henderson will go).

tentan

Poor man's poster.

I don't think we have 3rd done. Mount if anything is a backup for Bruno. Someone like Amrabat should be the one starting alongside Casemiro in midfield.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If Harry is staying and Erik is happy with Dalot and Awb then we only need backup for Casemiro. Maybe not even that because we have Mainoo there who showed that he has bright future.
We are set to go.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think we have 3rd done. Mount if anything is a backup for Bruno. Someone like Amrabat should be the one starting alongside Casemiro in midfield.
We haven't spent £55m on a back up to Bruno Fernandes. You lot are mental.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
We haven't spent £55m on a back up to Bruno Fernandes. You lot are mental.
Right? It's quite clear Mount is replacing Eriksen as a starter. If we sell Fred, Mctominay and DVB, we'll be left with Bruno, Mount, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo and Amrabat. So an argument can be made that we could do with another 8, as Amrabat and Mainoo look more like first phase players.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I think we should already be done with the transfer window.

This has been a step in the right direction. All new additions are in the right age bracket. I say we see how the season goes first before making more additions next winter/summer. It’s a rebuilding process and I believe we need at least 2 good summer transfer windows to have a squad ready to challenge for the title.

goalscholes

I’d have liked a defender, as Varane will miss a third of our games and we looked awful without him.

But it’s been a pretty good window once we sign Amrabat.

newgiz

Its clear that EtH sees Lindelof as cover for the RCB position and Shaw as cover for LCB. I doubt we would get another CB in unless we are able to fetch a significant fee for Maguire (30-40m range)

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Right? It's quite clear Mount is replacing Eriksen as a starter. If we sell Fred, Mctominay and DVB, we'll be left with Bruno, Mount, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo and Amrabat. So an argument can be made that we could do with another 8, as Amrabat and Mainoo look more like first phase players.
If Mount starts which I assume will be a midfield 3 of him, Casemiro and Bruno we will lose a lot of games. Amrabat has to play.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
If Mount starts which I assume will be a midfield 3 of him, Casemiro and Bruno we will lose a lot of games. Amrabat has to play.
However good Amrabat is, he isn't seen as a priority. You don't spunk £160M on 3 players then be waiting on player sales to sign a top priority. Amrabat is depth, the three you mentioned are our midfield starters and I think with them, we'll win a lot of games.

Paul778

These three work if the whole team adopts ETH style of play. If any of them phone in performances like against Dortmund then it's going to be messy.

Denis79

Its clear that EtH sees Lindelof as cover for the RCB position and Shaw as cover for LCB. I doubt we would get another CB in unless we are able to fetch a significant fee for Maguire (30-40m range)
We'll sign Evans I think.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
About eight months ago, I made a thread about the biggest priority needs being ST, CM, RB and GK, in that order. I think most generally agreed.
Fast foward to the end of the season and my list has changed a little. I now think we need 7 players.

Two strikers: Martial and Weghorst need to be replaced by two good and dependable options. Ideally, an experienced striker and a young talented backup option.

Two CM/CDMs: Eriksen needs to relegated to a backup role and we need to get rid of Mctominay for a more suitable backup option for Casemiro.

One CB: Varane can't play three games a week, Lindelof has been impressive, and with Lisandro, that gives us 2.5 CBs. This assumes Maguire is sold of course.

Two GKs: This is simple really. We need two progressive goalkeepers. I personally don't see the point in keeping De Gea as a backup if he's not as progressive as the manager would like.

Of course we live in the real world. Especially if don't get Qatari ownership. With that in mind, I'll settle for 4 to 5 signings. ST, GK, 1CM, CB and CM2 In that order. Rational being, we can keep Martial and Rashford as backups for the ST position and De Gea GK backup.

If we can only get four, then I'll fast track Kobe Mainoo as Case's backup.

I believe in this manager and with the right signings, he can bring it home. Thoughts?
With the window now closed, I've come back to this thread to reflect upon the signings and review how well we've done against our needs. I think all in all, we've done a good job in plugging the gaps in the squad. With a Striker, an 8/10 midfielder, an 8/6 midfielder, a CB, two GKs and a left back.

I know it may not feel like a good job right now, giving the way the season has started, but I don't think we can make a judgement based on that, either good or bad, because the sample size is so small.

We got lucky in a way that the injury to Shaw happened while the window was still open, as it gave us a chance to get in a replacement we wouldn't have otherwise had.

Still question marks on how the team gels and players perform but now it's on ETH to make it happen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
1 - First choice Striker

=2 - First choice Goalkeeper
=2 - First choice #8

4 - Backup DM (unless the first choice #8 can also play this role)

Those are the four roles we absolutely need filled and will cause huge issues going forward if they aren't. There are other positions that I'd like to see signed as well but I don't consider them as season-defining.
Well, we signed the right positions.

Whether we signed the right players in those positions is another question, but obviously it will take a while before we can judge that or not. Those who write off players after a couple of games (or even before they've played) are being a bit ridiculous. You can be worried about it (as I am) while still giving it a good chance before passing final judgement.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Well, we signed the right positions.

Whether we signed the right players in those positions is another question, but obviously it will take a while before we can judge that or not. Those who write off players after a couple of games (or even before they've played) are being a bit ridiculous. You can be worried about it (as I am) while still giving it a good chance before passing final judgement.
agreed and useful to look back at where the gaping holes were at the start of the window as there’s a lot of negativity about our transfer business.

The writing off of players so early is infuriating but it’ll never change, feeling cautiously optimistic personally, it’s a shame the next game is Arsenal away though, as that’s a bloody tough game!

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
agreed and useful to look back at where the gaping holes were at the start of the window as there’s a lot of negativity about our transfer business.

The writing off of players so early is infuriating but it’ll never change, feeling cautiously optimistic personally, it’s a shame the next game is Arsenal away though, as that’s a bloody tough game!
This is exactly right. I am one of the people to criticise the club about how so many things have been handled this season. However, can't pretend they haven't plugged the biggest holes I thought we had in the team since Jan.

I'm quite pleased to have been bang with the OP in terms of what I thought we needed. Then again, most people had the same 3 or 4 top priorities. This is a good sign because it shows there is clarity in the squad building plan, even if the transfer execution is still somewhat shoddy.

Last edited:

Chumpsbechumps

The bar is very low if anybody is happy with that window. The clubs a joke, you don’t see city or any other decent club scrambling for loan signings like United are every f**king season.

And all our hopes up from are on a striker who was bought injured and has to be basically mature instantly to show form that is unfair to expect from such a young player.