Hillsborough Disaster - 30 years on

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just watched this video, had never seen it before. Really quite terrifying to watch.

Really quite disgusting that 30 years on the victims are still seeking justice.

RIP to the 96.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Thoughts with those affected by the events of a tragedy that sadly had been on the cards for a while.

Denis79

Horriffic to watch... We know today the magnitude of the tradegy and watching that video was a bit too much for me.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just watched this video, had never seen it before. Really quite terrifying to watch.

RIP to the 96.
That just makes you weep. I like you have never seen that before. What was horrifying as well was that they even managed to throw Heysel in there. Jumping to conclusions right from the start. That it was the fans fault.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Awful stuff. RIP those poor 96 people so badly let down by the powers that be in this country.

A shame and travesty also that so many of those at fault in the police etc have gotten away with it for so long and that some of them have now died and are beyond punishment.

At least lessons were properly learned from that which have led to the far safer experiences we have all come to take for granted these days when we go to games.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I was at a local game that day, (in the days where some folk took a radio to the game for scores in other games) and when the news came through initially it was just presumed to be hooliganism rearing it's ugly head again. As events unfolded and more information came through the ground was in total silence. Got to the pub after the game and realised the enormity of it all. Truly horrific. Thoughts go those who lost their lives or were injured and all the families of those involved, they've been treated abysmally.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
That's how it was. RIP. Impressive how much security has improved in stadiums and events. A shame that people had to die in order to get proper security.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Awful stuff. RIP those poor 96 people so badly let down by the powers that be in this country.

A shame and travesty also that so many of those at fault in the police etc have gotten away with it for so long and that some of them have now died and are beyond punishment.

At least lessons were properly learned from that which have led to the far safer experiences we have all come to take for granted these days when we go to games.
This part makes me feel especially awful. People died and they didn't have an ounce of empathy.

Green_Red

I remember it happening. Just disgusting that the families have had to go through 30 years of attempting to get justice. It's no wonder working people have such a distrust of the system.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves

RIP to the 96.
Powerful stuff.

I think it's clearly obvious from those images that the police didn't have a clue.

RIP to the 96.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Little bit off topic but always bemused me how Sheffield Wednesday never pulled that end down, the stand is still up to this day but just has seats instead of terracing now.

Never been to Hillsborough to watch a game but did have a look outside a few years back and had an eerie look at the memorial board for 30 seconds.

Not sure how many on this board follow Man. United away or have been to Hillsborough but must be really odd to go in that end knowing the horrors that happened there.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
They also had to endure this "UEFA President Jacques Georges caused controversy by describing the Liverpool supporters as "beasts",[53] wrongly suggesting that hooliganism was the cause of the disaster, which had occurred less than four years after the Heysel Stadium disaster. His remarks led to Liverpool F.C. calling for his resignation, but he apologised on discovering hooliganism was not the cause.[53]"

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Reading up on the history of Hillsborough stadium. The place didn't seem like it was fit for purpose for a number of years prior to 1989.

Last edited:

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Infuriating that it nearly took 25 years to get proper justice. A simple match of football resulted in one of the most appalling chapters of contemporary British history, and one of the most hideous chapters of police misconduct in Britain, during and after the disaster.

Oyibo

I'd been to Hillsboro with United when we took like, 15-18,000 away in that same end. Probably 17 years old. Another time at Notts County, we had more away fans than homes fans.

In the Quarter Final we played Forest at home and were robbed, losing the match, with Forest going on to Play Liverpool at Hillsboro in the fateful semi-final. It could we have been us playing Liverpool that day.

As it happened, we played Derby at home at the same time in the League, when suddenly our match-day speaker at Old Trafford made the announcement that this disaster had happened.

Am actually from Liverpool, and had mates who had attended the Liverpool - Forest Semi : some had even swapped seating tickets for standing tickets (cooler back in the day). So that night in the pub back in Liverpool, there was a lot of emotion and anger.

Luckily I knew nobody who passed away.

However many factors there were that contributed in the lead up to the Disaster, it could have happened to any team at all back in those days.

RIP to the 96

Reactions: SteveJ

CornerFlag

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sure, looking at who I support, that you can work out my views on the topic, I remember being at my dad's house watching it unfold on my step-brother's Matsui TV when I was six and he was eight.

He had a ticket to be in there but couldn't go with his dad. He could have been the youngest victim that day and it still makes me think on most days when I put my 96 badge on.

Also wanted to say that after the hung jury in the Duckenfield case there'll still be the chances of repeating the case in court, and there are legal blocks on what can and cannot be said, so please think on about what is posted before you hit the "Post Reply" button. A lot of people fighting for their children, their siblings, their family, could depend on what you write and how you write it.

Cheers.

Reactions: SteveJ

Josh 76

If the unthinkable happens.
Liverpool wining the league with 96 points would be the best way of doing it. A point for all the people who lost their lives.

Canuckred64

I lived just up the road from Hillsborough as a kid and spent a lot of time there and see games there whenever I am back in England. The thing that always struck me as old was why did they put Liverpool supporters in the away end. Common sense should have told them to put the Forest supporters in the the Leppings Lane end, Forest was never a hugely supported club even when they were wining European Cups, especially when compared to Liverpool. Forest was probably designated as the home club, but I imagined Liverpool supporters out numbered Forest supporters on the day by at least two to one.

DomesticTadpole

I lived just up the road from Hillsborough as a kid and spent a lot of time there and see games there whenever I am back in England. The thing that always struck me as old was why did they put Liverpool supporters in the away end. Common sense should have told them to put the Forest supporters in the the Leppings Lane end, Forest was never a hugely supported club even when they were wining European Cups, especially when compared to Liverpool. Forest was probably designated as the home club, but I imagined Liverpool supporters out numbered Forest supporters on the day by at least two to one.
I have heard that brought up before. It was madness. There were always going to be more Liverpool fans than Forest fans.

204Red

RIP to the 96

justice for the bastards who allowed this happen then covered it up

Raw

It's not even just the 96 who died. There was a man by the name of Stephen Whittle who sold his ticket to a friend, who then died at the game. Years later he donated £61k to the Hillsborough Memorial Trust in his will and committed suicide.

Such a huge tragedy. RIP.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Culturally, politically and in terms of football, it was one of the most important and devastating things that’s ever happened.

Working class Football fans were treated like scum from the late 60s to the late 80. This is a very good piece https://nowtmuchtosay.wordpress.com/2016/05/07/a-convenient-scapegoat/‬

The aftermath is equally upsetting. Not only the cover up, but the fact it was used to sanitise English football and out price a generation of working class people from football grounds in the UK. Grounds should have been made safer whilst still keeping the fans core support at their heart.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Will never forget that horrible day. We all stand with LFC fans in their fight for justice.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
It's one of those things where you watch the footage & just can't really imagine what those poor people went through. It's good to see the football world at large put their rivalries aside for stuff which is a lot more important, & I've never seen anything other than exceptional posts from United fans here on the subject.

.Phil1968

I was following United around all over late 80s and remember being treated like animals at away grounds, I recall a few away games being scary occasions .
Hillsborough was always going to happen and it could easily have been our fans it happened to.30 years have gone by and still the families don't have justice let's hope this is the year they finally do.
RIP 96

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Wasn't it policy at the time to give the club further north that end of the ground to try and prevent the supporters mixing? Probably wrong but i'm sure i heard that reason years ago.

Moriarty

I have heard that brought up before. It was madness. There were always going to be more Liverpool fans than Forest fans.
The put us in there in 1976 against Derby. Luckily, a large part of our support was in the Kop end too and there were no fences. Against Leeds the next year, there was a fence and we were jammed into the Leppings Lane end. Once you got through the turnstile and onto the terrace, you were pretty much carried along by the crowd until you could squeeze in somewhere.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'd been to Hillsboro with United when we took like, 15-18,000 away in that same end. Probably 17 years old. Another time at Notts County, we had more away fans than homes fans.

In the Quarter Final we played Forest at home and were robbed, losing the match, with Forest going on to Play Liverpool at Hillsboro in the fateful semi-final. It could we have been us playing Liverpool that day.

As it happened, we played Derby at home at the same time in the League, when suddenly our match-day speaker at Old Trafford made the announcement that this disaster had happened.

Am actually from Liverpool, and had mates who had attended the Liverpool - Forest Semi : some had even swapped seating tickets for standing tickets (cooler back in the day). So that night in the pub back in Liverpool, there was a lot of emotion and anger.

Luckily I knew nobody who passed away.

However many factors there were that contributed in the lead up to the Disaster, it could have happened to any team at all back in those days.

RIP to the 96

Was at that game myself, never seen a home stadium so took over, been to Sheffield Wednesday loads too, usually in the home end as my family are from Sheffield.

My uncle worked Hillsborough that day, I think that Sheffield Wednesday get overlooked as victims also in this disaster, they have take. A whole heap of blame but their is grief and memories there that will never be forgotten.

DomesticTadpole

The put us in there in 1976 against Derby. Luckily, a large part of our support was in the Kop end too and there were no fences. Against Leeds the next year, there was a fence and we were jammed into the Leppings Lane end. Once you got through the turnstile and onto the terrace, you were pretty much carried along by the crowd until you could squeeze in somewhere.
They really did treat football fans like animals didn't they? My mum was expecting me when this happened. She can remember standing doing the ironing and watching it all unfold on TV. It is haunting.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Little bit off topic but always bemused me how Sheffield Wednesday never pulled that end down, the stand is still up to this day but just has seats instead of terracing now.

Never been to Hillsborough to watch a game but did have a look outside a few years back and had an eerie look at the memorial board for 30 seconds.

Not sure how many on this board follow Man. United away or have been to Hillsborough but must be really odd to go in that end knowing the horrors that happened there.
Who was paying for that ? Do you think Sheffield Wednesday have money to tear down a stand and replace it ?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Truly awful and very distressing. :(

Condolences to all Liverpool fans.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The police feeding lies to the media within minutes. Around 10 minutes into the video the commentator says that they've received information that one of the gates is broken which let ticketless fans make their way into the ground. from the start of the tragedy it only took 10 minutes for the police to start trying to cover their tracks.

How Duckenfield & Co haven't been punished yet is unfathomable.
There's a trial going on currently isn't there involving him? Will say no more for obvious reasons.

Saw on Facebook just now of someone posting Bill Kenwright's speech at the Anfield memorial in 2009.

I remember watching that and also remember halfway through Andy Burnham's speece the whole of the Kop breaking into a rendition of "Justice for the 96" Never heard so much feeling in a chant before, it was spine tingling.

Always had respect for Burnham since as he went back and got Labour to properly get an inquiry going and Tories continued that when they came back into power in 2010 and eventually fans were absolved of any part in the disaster in September 2012.

Canuckred64

Wasn't it policy at the time to give the club further north that end of the ground to try and prevent the supporters mixing? Probably wrong but i'm sure i heard that reason years ago.
I think it may have had to do with traffic patterns with Forest supporters travelling up the A61 (Halifax road) and coming into Hillsborough near the end of stadium where the South stand and Kop are and Liverpool supporters travelling down the A61(Penistone road) and turning right on Leppings Lane where the West and North end of stadium is. They wanted to keep both sets of supporters apart as they entered that end of the city.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Comforting to see your kind words and condolences on this sad anniversary.

The Hillsborough disaster always reminds me that there are way more important things in life than football. For all the things Shankly got right, he was wrong on this one.