Hillsborough Trial - Verdicts

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If there's a retrial, how likely is it that a different verdict will be reached? This inquest is the 1st time i believe where all evidence is on the table so to speak.

TheReligion

Abusive
How likely is there to be a retrial?
So the jury has been discharged as they could not reach a unanimous or majority verdict either way. As such there is no double jeopardy rule so the defendant can be subjected to a re-trial. This is because they have not been found guilty or not guilty.

The CPS state they will look at re-trial.

TheReligion

Abusive
If there's a retrial, how likely is it that a different verdict will be reached? This inquest is the 1st time i believe where all evidence is on the table so to speak.
Difficult to say. There's going to be no new evidence to present it's just a matter of placing the case before a new jury and seeing if they are able to reach a verdict.

SharpshooterTom

If there is retrial wouldn't this be the 3rd time Duckenfield is put in the dock?

The jury failed to reach a verdict back in 2000 when it went through a private prosecution?

TheReligion

Abusive
If the CPS ask for a retrial will they be automatically granted it? Can they be refused?
They will base it on a few things;

1) public interest
2) the fact no verdict has been reached
3) new evidence

So in this instance the public interest is massive and no verdict has been reached either way. There will be no new evidence but a re-trial to get a decision would certainly be worth it. They will also look at why no decision could be reached and a few other bits I think.

If two jury's fail to reach a decision then it's very very unlikely a third would take place. Would have to be exceptional circumstances.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If there is retrial wouldn't this be the 3rd time Duckenfield is put in the dock?

The jury failed to reach a verdict back in 2000 when it went through a private prosecution?
the private prosecution "doesn't count" as far as the CPS is concerned.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can I just warn people on here (not that it has happened yet): if they get a retrial be very careful what you say as the case becomes sub judice again and you could (unlikely obviously) be in contempt of court so you shouldn't presume guilt or say thins like the "court got it wrong/right"

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not surprised. Be interested to see what happens at the retrial. If it actually goes ahead.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I do wonder what will happen if there's a retrial and Duckenfield is found not guilty.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Bet his lawyer argues that it's impossible for him to get a fair trial.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Shouldn’t the thread be locked now it’s gone for retrial?