Television His Dark Materials

Hephaestus

Anyone watching the new season? 2 episodes out I think. I need @dumbo's reviews again
The third aired on Sunday, probably the weakest of the series but I really liked the bit between Lee and Mrs Coulter.

Feels like this series has been a big step up, helped a lot by the chemistry between Lyra and Will, have loved all their interactions so far. Wasn't sure about the stuff from TSK they'd added to series 1 at the time but I think it's paid off. I like that daemons seem to be more present in the story at long fecking last as well. Only issue is the witches are pretty lame so far.

Fluctuation0161

I'm purposely not reading all the comments here in case of spoilers but I need help finding my next one or two tv shows to watch:

-This show
-Altered Carbon
-Umbrella Academy
-Dark
-Watchmen

Please help!
Umbrella academy and altered carbon are good.

Have you seen "the boys"?

Amarsdd

I still don't know how to feel about this. The first season I was watching this alongside Watchmen and thought it was lacking in quality in comparison. The second season still seems slightly weird in terms of pacing and acting even though I like the world itself.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
My dislike for the witches is balanced out by how perfect Mary Malone is. Also very much like that Fleabag is Parry Sr's daemon.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Waited until today to binge the whole season; a definite improvement on S1. Some gorgeous cinematography, yet again. Anybody else watch the entire opening credits every time? Such a great theme, despite the fact that it veers into a Skyrim soundalike around the halfway mark.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
My dislike for the witches is balanced out by how perfect Mary Malone is. Also very much like that Fleabag is Parry Sr's daemon.
Did not pick up on this! I don't even remember it speaking, tbh. Will keep an ear out for her in the finale. Nice touch.

Superunknown

I've really been enjoying season 2. I loved season 1, but there's a noticeable step up in quality with season 2 and the pacing has been spot on, in my opinion. I think the two leads in Lyra and Will both work and they've translated most of the key plot points over from the books really well. It's a faithful adaptation, yet it doesn't just feel like a lazy retelling. I've had a great time watching it.

My worry is how season 3 is going to look on tv. From what I remember, it'll require very high production values, and I'm not sure if it'll look as "grand" as I imagine it does in my head. But, they've done well with most of it so far, so they may very well pull it off and do it well. I hope so. I hope they get to tell the full story in the way that such a story deserves.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wait, the second season is entirely out?

Aw shit, I have to do a marathon now.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Veered totally away from the books. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
In what way?
I've forgotten most of the details from the book, but the meeting of Will and John was a lot different.

Think next series will be better for having more McAvoy, though I hope they don't try and keep it to 7 episodes.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I've forgotten most of the details from the book, but the meeting of Will and John was a lot different.

Think next series will be better for having more McAvoy, though I hope they don't try and keep it to 7 episodes.
Yeah they need at least 10-12 episodes.

I think the big flaw in this show is they haven't allowed any of the characters time to just, "be". "Lyras Oxford" was over in an episode. I feel like Lee Scoresby only knew Lyra for 5 minutes, why he spent all that time going after her I have no idea.

If this was Game of Thrones (early seasons) they'd have been journeying North for episodes and episodes.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished the second season in one go, I thought it was pretty good.

I share the concerns on how they are going to fit everything in one season with regard to the next book/season. There is just so much stuff happening.

McAvoy is back so everything is good though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thought season 2 was quite impressive given they had to jettison an entire episode due to Covid.

But then TSK is probably the best of the books so maybe no surprise. And the main thing that made that book so good (having two excellent characters at the centre in Lyra and Will) is in place here too. The two young actors are doing a fine job. As is Ruth Wilson, who makes the best of what's she's given in most scenes.

A few quibbles aside (mostly involving the witches being overpowered exposition machines and the lack of bears in armour), a step up on season 1.

God knows how they adapt the final book in an 8 episode final season though. Presumably they'll have to start with a time gap explaining why the central pair are suddenly noticably older too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Excited for this. The main actor (that plays the girl) really annoys me at times but aside from that it’s a good show.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Excited for the new season! Starting later than I thought (I had in mind that the finale would be on Boxing Day for some reason), but excited to see how they handle the adaptation of the 3rd book, there's some trippy stuff in there.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As with most things made by HBO it's visually stunning and that gets a 10/10 for me in terms of the world they've created and characters but dialogue / story is a bit meh at times so I think it's a solid 8/10.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Good start.

Couldn’t get over how much the blonde girl looked like Woody Harrelson