Historical moments of cheating | With a super-sized portion of salt

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
England heroically cheating and fluking their way to the final.

With the blatant dive, missed penalty and bundled in rebound, they managed the Stevie Starfish and Xabi Alonso in Istanbul trifecta. Lads, you're Liverpool.

youngrell

Its weird that the ref did not even went to the screen for a 2nd look. I feel for the danes
In such a high stakes match, he absolutely should have gone to look to be sure. The VAR obviously had no doubt. Unbelievable.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone who genuinely thinks thats a pen is smoking something :lol:

Don't care though. Cheating is now a staple part of football... Its time we stop whinging about it

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There was definitely contact, which is why it wasn't overturned by what has been a very light touch VAR system.

But if the question is just "is that a penalty?" then most people (probably including the VAR) would say no. The ref's initial decision just has too much weight. There was minimal contact and he was going down regardless.
I know that fans and pundits have a weird obsession with “contact” but surely the officials are above that nonsense?

If I fling myself on the ground in the box, brushing my leg off a defender on the way down then there is definite contact. This doesn’t make it a foul.

V.O.

No team can expect to be hard done by in this context

Ah, you were the stronger side so you're allowed to cheat and don't actually have to score goals. Nevermind then, as you were.

SER19

Anyone who genuinely thinks thats a pen is smoking something :lol:

Don't care though. Cheating is now a staple part of football... Its time we stop whinging about it
Cheating is but var missing it and a second ball interfering with play is amateur hour

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It wasnt a clear dive in my opinion and i am Irish. There was connection. But at the same time it could easily not have been given.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We also cheated to beat you in 66. Cry.

Classical Mechanic

Ah, you were the stronger side so you're allowed to cheat and don't actually have to score goals. Nevermind then, as you were.
Personally I thought the Kane incident was a penalty. Fact is that by far the best team won. You can run all the bullshit that you want but facts are facts

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
It is so pathetic that people has to bring up expected goals to defend such a screw job. Will always have a * to their name in this Euros, but its still not a remedy to the Danes

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No team can claim to be hard done by in this context

It literally means that if they play like that they'll score 1 goal in every four games.
I detest this kind of argument. The game was 1-1. The penalty was blatantly wrong. Hence, they were hard done by. You can shove your xG stats elsewhere.

V.O.

Personally I thought the Kane incident was a penalty. Fact is that by far the best team won. You can run all the bullshit that you want but facts are facts
Yep, and I'm sure you just happily dealt with it and admitted the right side won when Drogba's offside goal won the league, or Scholes vs Porto, or Lampard vs Germany etc etc :lol:

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Guess fifa was scared that they wouldn't sell tickets to the final....

CallyRed

If Rashford did this for United in a Champions League semi, would this thread have been made.

Discuss.

izec

So many bitter guys around here. Glad we see a great final, Denmark would have lost from the start.
Very soft pen, but that is how they use it in the tournament

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Loving the bitterness tonight.

You can guarantee that if it was Wales or Scotland in the same situation, it would have been an incredible penalty etc.

In the final, and it feels good :D

siw2007

It was one of the softest penalties I’ve seen and would be annoyed if it went against us. It’s pretty typical of players to go down in that situation with the slightest of touches at the highest level, Sterling will claim that it was enough to bring him down.

However, VAR wouldn’t over rule that, there was contact so wouldn’t be deemed a clear error.