Television HMS Vigil (BBC TV series)

Agent Red

I’m not sure I can be bothered with more Jed Mercurio stuff if he’s written it. Both Bodyguard and LoD built up really well but then had such unsatisfying finales it puts me off his future stuff.

0le

Started today, I will be watching it on iPlayer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Feel like I’ve seen everything this kind of BBC show has to offer so won’t be watching. Trailer basically looks like the same show as Line Of Duty.

0le

It could have been so much better without the silly and fantastical side plots** which are very frustrating. The main plot regarding the murder however has been ticking along nicely.

- being tracked by some unknown submarine
- reactor failure
- the flashbacks to the car incident - just meh - why no flashbacks of the murder victim?

Acole9

Outstanding
I've watched both, first episode I thought it was boring. The second one was good though.

Kag

Was forced through the opening episode the other night. The opening CGI sequence was absolutely abysmal to the point we were laughing out loud.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Line of duty (Submarine (GONE WRONG!!!)) was decent this week again.

Dan_F

It could have been so much better without the silly and fantastical side plots** which are very frustrating. The main plot regarding the murder however has been ticking along nicely.

- being tracked by some unknown submarine
- reactor failure
- the flashbacks to the car incident - just meh - why no flashbacks of the murder victim?
In fairness

The reactor failure is probably to highlight the fact that the subs aren’t fit for purpose.

If I understood correctly, the other sub was the American one that was spying on them after the incident that happened over there? And is one of the reasons they can’t come back up to land.

The flashbacks? Yeah just shit and pointless. We get it, she has PTSD.

Nickosaur

Anybody still watching?
I'll finish it but the novelty of a murder mystery on a submarine is wearing pretty thin. The flashbacks are fecking dull and the acting seems to be getting worse as it goes on.

Agent Red

I'm waiting till all of it has aired to get the consensus on the ending. Bodyguard and Line of Duty both built up well and then ended terribly so given it's from the same people I'm assuming it will be the same formula unless I hear otherwise!

macheda14

Anybody still watching?
I'll finish it but the novelty of a murder mystery on a submarine is wearing pretty thin. The flashbacks are fecking dull and the acting seems to be getting worse as it goes on.
This latest episode was very boring. This could easily have been 3 episodes, a full 6 is just a slog.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm still really enjoying it. A bit daft if you think about it too much
especially sending someone with water/confinement issues due to a past trauma on to a submarine - tired plot device alert
but entertaining enough.

0le

Season finale this weekend. I have enjoyed Rose Leslie's performance. Good light entertainment if you are willing to put aside the absurdity of the plot.

AgentSmith

Had a lot of potential but fulfilled very little of it due to the rapidly spiralling plot. Thought the acting was good though.

0le

Bit of a strange last episode. The main plot was concluded with about half the episode to go. The final twenty minutes felt drawn out with lots of slow paced dialogue which could have all been surmised in about 5 minutes.

Loon

:lol:
I was hoping a Dalek would show up in the final episode just to ground it a bit.

Dan_F

Bit of a strange last episode. The main plot was concluded with about half the episode to go. The final twenty minutes felt drawn out with lots of slow paced dialogue which could have all been surmised in about 5 minutes.
It was really bizarre. In total there was probably about a half hours worth of flashbacks through the six episodes, just to tell us she was in a relationship with the other woman and it got a bit complicated. Did anyone care about that?

They didn’t even bother to explain how the guy managed to find her in the missile thingy. Why would you ever look in there for a human.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
It was really bizarre. In total there was probably about a half hours worth of flashbacks through the six episodes, just to tell us she was in a relationship with the other woman and it got a bit complicated. Did anyone care about that?

They didn’t even bother to explain how the guy managed to find her in the missile thingy. Why would you ever look in there for a human.
I thought that was because he asked where Doward where her suit was, and he indicated he was going to flush it out through the torpedo tube. Not sure why he didn't get it there and then, but think that was why he went back to open it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That was weird for me too. I assume there isn't going to be another series of it so having that last 20 minute bit was bizarre.

Superden

i didnt think it lived up to the hype, and even me, a BAME cosmopolitan guardianista type, thought the amount of diversity in the cast was somewhat of a box ticking exercise and not very realistic.

GazTheLegend

Anybody still watching?
I'll try to avoid spoilers in case people consider it through this thread.

It was decent and some episodes (maybe 1-3?) rivalled Line of Duty in quality, but things tail off. Some minor qualms are that it seems that the writers only know three ranks in the royal navy for some reason (-everyone- seems to be a chief petty officer????? Where's all the able rates, leading hands and PO's? Where's the warrant officer? There is no wardroom or mess square? The captain spends all day in the ops room (In reality he's sipping scotch while the xo runs around like a psycho on speed)). But otherwise things seemed fairly interesting. The MoD has its own police service, which begs the question why send an untrained civvy on to a submarine to get in the way all the time, but whatever, "rule of cool" and all that and helped that she knew feck all because it meant they could explain things to her without breaking immersion.

The romance, though, was utterly pointless and felt like an absolute waste of time. 100% tacked on, 100% tick box, and it felt a bit desperate. The show would have been far tighter and more interesting without. But I enjoyed it overall despite above misgivings!

0le

That was weird for me too. I assume there isn't going to be another series of it so having that last 20 minute bit was bizarre.
Yeah, it seems so.

The romance, though, was utterly pointless and felt like an absolute waste of time. 100% tacked on, 100% tick box, and it felt a bit desperate. The show would have been far tighter and more interesting without. But I enjoyed it overall despite above misgivings!
Yeah, there were too many flashbacks of the romance and not nearly enough of Burke, his character and any scenes depicting clearly happened to him. I was really expecting there to be more focus on the actual crime but the writers focused more on the romance and nuclear storyline. I agree though, for light entertainment, a solid 6/10.