Gaming Hogwarts Legacy (PS5/PC/Switch/Xbox)

Bosws87

Never seen, read or bothered about Harry Potter but it would be great to see some serious love/effort into producing a top game from film media as there is so many potential projects out there.

Looks from the brief watch how i always dreamed a proper Pokemon game would go (cheers nintendo)

Ainu

Late to the party, I just watched the state of play and have to say it looks promising. I'm not particularly interested in Harry Potter but it's an interesting concept for a video game. I like the look of the art style and design, the gameplay systems look interesting enough and it doesn't immediately give me a typical, been-there-done-that-open-world-RPG vibe. If it has an interesting story and well written companions on top of that, it could be great.

Hughes35

Really really really hoping this is good. I'm a huge Potter fan so hope they don't cock this up.

paulscholes18

Will be interested to see how they handle unforgivable curses. They showed the killing curse near the end so these probably are included but I would be surprised if could just go around racking up a body count without any consequences.
:lol: Yes, I highly doubt you would be able to run around the the school spamming Avada Kedavra and Crucio

Kaos

Just looked up the developer - it seems all they’ve made is shite movie tie ins. So not entirely confident in this being any good.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think it looked great. My biggest concern is just how vast the scope appears to be. Massive castle, huge world, big story, other towns, changing seasons. That just sounds like a hell of a lot to take on but if they get it right then it could be a classic.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Just looked up the developer - it seems all they’ve made is shite movie tie ins. So not entirely confident in this being any good.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
The Disney Infinity games are actually very well designed and developed. I expect similar here, accessible and well constructed and plenty of attention to detail for the fans, but not really going to be what people expect (i.e Witcher 3/GTA set in Hogwarts). It'll be more like the lego games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in many ways, but not something anything other than potter fans will really enjoy on any deep level.

Kaos

The Disney Infinity games are actually very well designed and developed. I expect similar here, accessible and well constructed, but not really going to be what people expect (i.e Witcher 3/GTA set in Hogwarts). It'll be more like the lego games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in many ways, but not something anything other than potter fans will really enjoy on any deep level.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a polished game, I just don't see the potential for this to be the open world game changer some are hoping for it to be. Best I'm hoping for is a modern version of 'Bully' with a Harry Potter coat of paint.

Ainu

I'm not sure why anyone would want it to be another big, open world game. We certainly don't need more of those games. A well designed game with a decent amount of meaningful content within the smaller setting of the school and perhaps a bit of surrounding area is infinitely preferable to a 100 hour behemoth that inevitably contains loads of padding.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm not sure why anyone would want it to be another big, open world game. We certainly don't need more of those games. A well designed game with a decent amount of meaningful content within the smaller setting of the school and perhaps a bit of surrounding area is infinitely preferable to a 100 hour behemoth that inevitably contains loads of padding.
You deserve it. Have some Cage.

Kaos

I think a well done harry potter open world would be fab, and certainly something a lot of fans would have been dreaming for. What we don't want is a Ubisoft style open world - i.e inorganic, drab worlds with pointless objectives cluttered all over the place, towers to climb and the game feeling exhausting a few hours in.

hobbers

If there's towers to climb to unlock the map I wont play it out of principle.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Looks interesting but that cnut in the yellow top is a right bellend. He's amazed by absolutely anything, as if he has never seen a game before. His input adds feck all to that showcase.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Still disappointed that this is a) not an online game and 2) you don’t start in first year.

Rake

This is nearing release and I just noticed the recommended specs, which look quite demanding (especially on the GPU side).

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti or AMD RX 5700 XT

Additional Notes: SSD, 1080p/60 fps, High Quality Settings, Upscale Quality Setting

So, 1080TI needed for 1080p gaming with upscaling enabled (maybe FSR?) is quite steep. If those are correct, people with with 3070/ti/3080 cards quite possibly will not be able to run the game at native 1440p/60fps/ high settings/, while players with popular 16/20 series cards might be stuck playing on low-medium at 1080p.

RedDevilRoshi

This is nearing release and I just noticed the recommended specs, which look quite demanding (especially on the GPU side).

Additional Notes: SSD, 1080p/60 fps, High Quality Settings, Upscale Quality Setting

So, 1080TI needed for 1080p gaming with upscaling enabled (maybe FSR?) is quite steep. If those are correct, people with with 3070/ti/3080 cards quite possibly will not be able to run the game at native 1440p/60fps/ high settings/, while players with popular 16/20 series cards might be stuck playing on low-medium at 1080p.
I thought it’s been delayed till April?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm a bit skeptical about this one. I really want it to be good but I've seen a couple of red flags.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm a bit skeptical about this one. I really want it to be good but I've seen a couple of red flags.
The biggest red flag for me is its existence. You can't really create an innovative IP when you have such a huge fan-base to appease.

I'm expecting it to be a little paint-by-numbers but great for people who want to immerse themselves in the HP universe.

Havak

Pokemon master
I will wait for reviews on this one, more-so because if I buy it, it'll be for Nintendo Switch where I expect performance to be an issue - even if they tone down the graphics a lot and manage to get 30fps locked. Looks like they're at least taking their time with it, so I'm hopeful.

I do think it'll be a good game, especially for fans of the series, as a lot of care seems to have gone into it. These kinds of games need things to keep you engaged though as exploring a world can only do so much. Lack of multiplayer could be a burden, but not every game needs to have that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I saw a video recently where it looked better than I expected but probably only a 7/10 game at best.

Ainu

What are the red flags? Everything I've seen of it looks pretty good, I have to say. I don't know much about Harry Potter though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What are the red flags? Everything I've seen of it looks pretty good, I have to say. I don't know much about Harry Potter though.
There’s an arena that’s only available if you buy a special edition. So makes me think there will be micro transactions.

I also worry it will be quite shallow. Very nice looking but lacking in substance but that’s just my own hunch. Also the developer hasn’t really made anything good before.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There’s an arena that’s only available if you buy a special edition. So makes me think there will be micro transactions.

I also worry it will be quite shallow. Very nice looking but lacking in substance but that’s just my own hunch. Also the developer hasn’t really made anything good before.
That's my main concern too. I think the dark magic is a dlc too.

The combat to me felt like it would get a bit boring pretty quickly but that might just be the people playing it in the demos were being a bit shit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Is a 1080 steep these days? There’s been a 20XX, 30XX and now 40XX released since then. The 1080 was released nearly 7 years ago.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really? That's annoying. I noticed that if you pre-order you get a few extra bits too.

Ainu

Ah, had no idea. I hate shit like that. In my opinion any sort of exclusive, in-game content for pre-orders or special editions at launch is completely unacceptable. Not that I was looking to get this early or whatever, but this just means I'll wait for the inevitable "complete" edition at a heavy discount years down the line, if I ever decide to buy it at all.

Rake

I'll probably get it anyway since my girl is a massive nerd, just didn't realize I'll have to give her my 3070 as well :)

Is a 1080 steep these days? There’s been a 20XX, 30XX and now 40XX released since then. The 1080 was released nearly 7 years ago.
I'd say yes. A 1080TI, which they quote, is (to simplify things) as fast as a 3060 card just without the DLSS capabilities. Most AAA games to come out this year were much less resource intensive. For comparison, Cyberpunk runs with 70+ fps on mixed mid-high settings; Dying Light 2 with 70 fps on high. Both games with no upscaling. Plague Tale Requiem runs with 60ish fps on 1440p Ultra settings + FSR.

I agree that there have been several generations of graphics cards, but there is no way the developers were making it with the 40 series in mind. 30 series is what they used the benchmarking and (I'm speculating here) the performance is not where is should be, at least upon release.

Last edited: