Gaming Hogwarts Legacy (PS5/PC/Switch/Xbox)

Charlie Foley

The one negative thing I will say there is more combat in the trailer than I might have expected. In some of the later crap movie games, it felt like Harry was just carrying around an automatic rifle and that felt stupid.

I hope this doesn't go down the same path
I would have enjoyed that movie

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'll probably get it anyway since my girl is a massive nerd, just didn't realize I'll have to give her my 3070 as well :)

I'd say yes. A 1080TI, which they quote, is (to simplify things) as fast as a 3060 card just without the DLSS capabilities. Most AAA games to come out this year were much less resource intensive. For comparison, Cyberpunk runs with 70+ fps on mixed mid-high settings; Dying Light 2 with 70 fps on high. Both games with no upscaling. Plague Tale Requiem runs with 60ish fps on 1440p Ultra settings + FSR.

I agree that there have been several generations of graphics cards, but there is no way the developers were making it with the 40 series in mind. 30 series is what they used the benchmarking and (I'm speculating here) the performance is not where is should be, at least upon release.
But it’s the recommended specs rather than the minimum. They’re always higher?

roseguy64

Ah, had no idea. I hate shit like that. In my opinion any sort of exclusive, in-game content for pre-orders or special editions at launch is completely unacceptable. Not that I was looking to get this early or whatever, but this just means I'll wait for the inevitable "complete" edition at a heavy discount years down the line, if I ever decide to buy it at all.
Yeah I was planning to buy it but I'll have to fork out extra to upgrade graphics. Can't bother with that so will buy it in a couple years when I've upgraded.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Any of you nerds buying it?

I’m in two minds about it. I feel a bit old for magic and Harry Potter and you know this game will be serious pg to appeal to younger audiences but it’d be also cool to see if you can bang the slag of Hogsmead and then run her over with your dragon to get your gold coins back.

Anyway, here’s the trailer

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
No but it's going to make an excellent present for other half

Bebe

Any of you nerds buying it?

I’m in two minds about it. I feel a bit old for magic and Harry Potter and you know this game will be serious pg to appeal to younger audiences but it’d be also cool to see if you can bang the slag of Hogsmead and then run her over with your dragon to get your gold coins back.

Anyway, here’s the trailer
I'll be buying it. A Harry Potter RPG has been near the top of my wishlist for over a decade.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Always hated Harry Potter, thought it was Lotr for nerds. Turns out it's Lotr for transphobic, racist nerds. I'm out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Had it pre ordered for ages. Pumped for it. Needed a game like this for years.

Traub

Scared to buy this in advance - does anyone know what the in game purchases are going to be like?

AjaxNL

I've been eyeballing this for over two years. I will definitely be buying this, albeit just for the Harry Potter vibe. Running around Hogwarts will be awesome at teh minimum. Having said that, I did think that the latest gameplay trailers have looked pretty basic. Not too impressed with what I've seen, if you take away the HP layer.

Siorac

Always wait for reviews before buying and I don't mean paid reviews but normal gamers.
Yes, exactly this. I'm looking forward to this game, particularly to using the Unforgivable Curses because I'm an absolute sociopath - but no purchase sight unseen.

Siorac

I've been eyeballing this for over two years. I will definitely be buying this, albeit just for the Harry Potter vibe. Running around Hogwarts will be awesome at teh minimum. Having said that, I did think that the latest gameplay trailers have looked pretty basic. Not too impressed with what I've seen, if you take away the HP layer.
That's my worry too, that it'll be a bog-standard bland open world game (see the very recent Forspoken) with a Harry Potter filter on top.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m constantly in two minds with this. Really want it for the Harry Potter world but then really dubious it will be good due to the developer who have smash hits like Cars 3: Driven to win.

Norris

Pre-ordered this. Only game I will ever pre-order to be honest as well. I doubt the game will be outstanding in any regard, might be quite run of the mill infact, but it's HP world, so might as well.

CloneMC16

Main issue is the studio has never made a game on this scale before. Everybody has to start somewhere, though. From what they've shown, it looks good. Waiting on reviews before I buy.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Main issue is the studio has never made a game on this scale before. Everybody has to start somewhere, though. From what they've shown, it looks good. Waiting on reviews before I buy.
The Disney Infinity games are huge in scope and very well made to be fair. But the gameplay aspect of this one still leaves me feeling it might not be what people want it to be.

Easy valentines present for the missus though!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
but it’d be also cool to see if you can bang the slag of Hogsmead and then run her over with your dragon to get your gold coins back.
:lol:

I'll wait to see what people say then probably buy it later that day unless it's pants. Zero point preordering this kind of thing these days

Robertd0803

Will probably pick it up but not straight away on release. Not paying full whack for games I rarely have time to play anymore.

2E_MUFC

Can’t wait for this. Pre ordered the deluxe edition. I don’t think it will be perfect by any means. But the world and graphics look pretty special.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Can’t wait for this. Pre ordered the deluxe edition. I don’t think it will be perfect by any means. But the world and graphics look pretty special.
My concern is that it’s going to need to be massively story driven to support the gameplay otherwise it’ll be trash.

Sadly there’s only so much you can do with the combat in this genre.

Suv666

JK's radical TERF nonsense has put me off a bit but I was a massive Potterhead back in the day so cannot wait to play this. Strolling around Hogwarts would be amazing. If this ends up sucking I'll be so disappointed.

BristolRuss

Very early, be sure to post your thoughts.
Early impressions are it is very fun. I spent around 2 hours just running around the castle last night unlocking lore and exploring as it is absolutely massive. The world map looks sizable as well, though I haven't ventured outside of Hogwarts itself yet.

The graphics are fine. Not bad, but nothing special. Probably due to it being a cross-gen release. There are 5 graphics modes though which is nice to see: Fidelity, fidelity w/ ray tracing, performance, balanced; and high refresh rate. The last two require that you have a 120hz TV though, so I think the balanced is going for 40fps. Most of the modes also let you unlock the frame rate which will be good if your TV supports VRR.
Isnt the release date in 5 days?
I bought the deluxe edition which includes 3 day early access. It was due to arrive on Tuesday - so 4 days early.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Awesome reviews. I was slightly interested but am now very interested.