Holland - Euro 2021 discussion

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I see what you did there, but jokes aside and as a neutral, it was a dive.
It was a bit less stonewall penalty than the other two that weren't given, but it was still a foul in the box that triggered the diving motion.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Robben never dives he just accepts invitations.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think Robben himself explained it with that he has been kicked (and injured) so often that he started to anticipate it depending on the situation - and sometimes got it wrong.

He probably expressed it better when he said it. :D

el3mel

Frank de Boer sacked, that's four times in a row now for him
Everyone knows it was a shit appointment from the start. Not sure what they were thinking hiring him. Literally any other manager from their domestic league could have done a better job.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Frank de Boer sacked, that's four times in a row now for him
And how many poor decisions by the KNVB now in the past years? I guess Koeman was the one good one. It doesn't fill me with confidence that they'll get it right this time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Van Bronckhorst being named a possible replacement. We just keep going with the ex players who only trained the club they played for. I love Gio mind you, but not convinced.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So the story goes, a lot of staff needed to keep their jobs and because De Boer was such a failure he wouldn't have the negotiating power to bring his own people in. He took over without bringing anyone.

Van Bronckhorst being named a possible replacement. We just keep going with the ex players who only trained the club they played for. I love Gio mind you, but not convinced.
Well, there is significantly less choice because people like @Zlatan 7 @BrilliantOrange only want Dutchies.
Apparently Advocaat's stint for the Belgians had a big impact in professionalizing their NT. The Dutch have had Happel in the past. It's a bit cnuttish to say no foreign manager when your nation's football is in a good state after the foreigners have already massively influenced your own nation's football.

The names I keep hearing:

Rutte and Fraser don't have a trophy cabinet the players would respect.
Van Bronckhorst is somewhat charismatic and has at least won something. Cocu seems like another Frank De Boer.

Van Gaal would only come out of retirement if His Majesty asked him personally to save the nation

Advocaat is the most logical option. He hasn't been out of football and he's a big name. Could see him becoming Van Bronckhorst's "assistant" to avoid having to deal with the press.

Ten Cate has been in the middle east for years now, which is basically the same as being retired.

Gullit doesn't make any sense, so he's probably top of the FA's list.

Rutte and maybe Ten Cate are the best choices for attractive football.

What do you think?

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
We need to hire a foreign manager because no Dutch one is even close to good enough to expect for Ten Hag en he won’t do it right now.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
So the story goes, a lot of staff needed to keep their jobs and because De Boer was such a failure he wouldn't have the negotiating power to bring his own people in. He took over without bringing anyone.

Well, there is significantly less choice because people like @Zlatan 7 @BrilliantOrange only want Dutchies.
Apparently Advocaat's stint for the Belgians had a big impact in professionalizing their NT. The Dutch have had Happel in the past. It's a bit cnuttish to say no foreign manager when your nation's football is in a good state after the foreigners have already massively influenced your own nation's football.

The names I keep hearing:

Rutte and Fraser don't have a trophy cabinet the players would respect.
Van Bronckhorst is somewhat charismatic and has at least won something. Cocu seems like another Frank De Boer.

Van Gaal would only come out of retirement if His Majesty asked him personally to save the nation

Advocaat is the most logical option. He hasn't been out of football and he's a big name. Could see him becoming Van Bronckhorst's "assistant" to avoid having to deal with the press.

Ten Cate has been in the middle east for years now, which is basically the same as being retired.

Gullit doesn't make any sense, so he's probably top of the FA's list.

Rutte and maybe Ten Cate are the best choices for attractive football.

What do you think?
I think I would seriously consider approaching Alfred Schreuder..

He is very highly rated by everyone he has worked with, the likes of Koeman, Ten Hag, Nagelsmann, but also players like Ziyech, Frenkie and Tadic. I think he has an very disciplined high pressure playing style which, but his starting point is always creativity and a dominant way of playing football. Downside is perhaps a lack of experience being end responsible, only at Hoffenheim and Twente, where I think he both did ok, but not exceptional.. He also doesnt have the stature which players will look upto.. Im sure its only a theoretical option and consideration, as Im very sure the Dutch FA will never make this choice.. They will either end up with Van Gaal again or go for Van Bronkhorst..

The choice we have is so limited, its painfull. As stated earlier the one really good options would be Koeman, Bosz and Ten Hag, but neither of them will do it now.. Agree with your views on Rutte and Fraser.. Advocaat you shouldnt want anymore.. He looks drained and really done now... Gullit would only be a posterboy bondscoach, Ten Cate is indeed practically retired for years, as is Rijkaard (shame!). Cocu would indeed be just as abominal as De Boer.

The only foreign bondscoach I would consider is Pep Guardiola as he is basically the embodiment of the Cruijf filosofy, but I really wouldnt want a German coach or anything.. Nightmarish.. (Moreover I think foreign bondscoaches shouldnt be allowed anyway, but who am I..)

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
The choice we have is so limited, its painfull. As stated earlier the one really good options would be Koeman, Bosz and Ten Hag, but neither of them will do it now.. Agree with your views on Rutte and Fraser.. Advocaat you shouldnt want anymore.. He looks drained and really done now... Gullit would only be a posterboy bondscoach, Ten Cate is indeed practically retired for years, as is Rijkaard (shame!). Cocu would indeed be just as abominal as De Boer.
What??

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Must have been an interesting panel :D
It’s actually one of the better managers to be named. Dutch pundits are absolutely awful mainly pushing their own friends. Henk ten Cate is frequently mentioned ffs. This is how we ended up with De Boer too.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It’s actually one of the better managers to be named. Dutch pundits are absolutely awful mainly pushing their own friends. Henk ten Cate is frequently mentioned ffs. This is how we ended up with De Boer too.
Löw's last five years have been a trainwreck. Hiring him would be like Spurs or United hiring Mourinho.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
The only foreign bondscoach I would consider is Pep Guardiola as he is basically the embodiment of the Cruijf filosofy, but I really wouldnt want a German coach or anything.. Nightmarish.. (Moreover I think foreign bondscoaches shouldnt be allowed anyway, but who am I..)
We need a manager who makes it more than the sum of it's parts, because that doesn't amount to much with this generation. Guardiola is actually an underachiever with the brilliant squads he's had. The Cruijff dogma's didn't work in the past anyway.

Given that foreign managers are allowed, I'm not really opposed to it but I doubt it will work. Dutch players adapt quite well to foreign clubs, football styles and general culture, but the national team should be like coming home. That's why many players seem better players when playing for the national team. A foreign manager would need to accept some things about Dutch culture, like his decisions being questioned by the players. That's also part of the traditional strength of the Dutch national team. They're not disobedient or anti-authority, they just feel entitled to understanding the decision, they expect the manager to explain himself and listen to their views too. Van Gaal for example, an authoritarian manager, embraces that and doesn't feel threatened about it at all, but it would surprise a lot of foreign managers.

Another issue is the football style. There's a strength in Dutch football that's quite typical and that has to be used with a generation of players this poor. I believe Martinez is a good manager for the Belgians, but they have much better players and what the Belgians consider playing really well as a team is not good enough, not up to Dutch standards of really well. The Dutch have this potential of playing as a team very much, with individual players excelling within it. This feature certainly isn't unlocked every tournament and even then not every match, probably more often not, but it's worth aiming for. Especially with this not so talented generation. So we can't have a foreign manager not understanding that or even not recognizing that.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No way!

could be brilliant, likely to be explosive!

50% chance of a Dutch meltdown at the WC.

it’s been 5 years since he managed.

Is this likely to go down well?
Yeah, people still respect his accomplishments at the 2014 WC, which was arguably his greatest feat as a manager considering how poor that squad was.

It was reported the Dutch players didn't want Van Gaal after Koeman left. It's rumoured that he isn't on good terms with Memphis and Virgil Van Dijk is still pissed he didn't receive a call up during his Celtic years. Wijnaldum might dislike his management style. The general mood in Holland is that the players failed to deliver on their terms (with De Boer and not a cnut like Van Gaal), so they should've zero say on the appointment now.

My personal thoughts are he's still the most qualified for the job, but they'll be in the exact same situation after the World Cup (if they even qualify). They've got to take a risk with the new generation of managers at some point, unless the FA is hoping Bosz or Ten Hag magically become available a year (or 3?) from now.

The good thing is Memphis' BS won't be tolerated. I recall LVG threatening to leave Sneijder out of the 2014 WC if he didn't improve his fitness. Maybe they need a cnut like LVG at the helm. The positive for me is that LVG might still favour a 3 at the back system. I still think that's the way to go with 3 world class CBs (VVD, De Vrij, De Ligt) and some really good backups (Ake, Timber, Bazoer, Blind).

Memphis Malen
F. De Jong Wijnaldum ?
? Virgil De Vrij De Ligt Dumfries
Cillessen

Maybe Bijlow gets a chance as GK. For LWB maybe Dilrosun or Rensch? There are a bunch of midfield options, just anyone but De Roon please. LVG is good at working with young players, so I imagine we'll see some new faces.

Yeah, people still respect his accomplishments at the 2014 WC, which was arguably his greatest feat as a manager considering how poor that squad was.

It was reported the Dutch players didn't want Van Gaal after Koeman left. It's rumoured that he isn't on good terms with Memphis and Virgil Van Dijk is still pissed he didn't receive a call up during his Celtic years. Wijnaldum might dislike his management style. The general mood in Holland is that the players failed to deliver on their terms (with De Boer and not a cnut like Van Gaal), so they should've zero say on the appointment now.

My personal thoughts are he's still the most qualified for the job, but they'll be in the exact same situation after the World Cup (if they even qualify). They've got to take a risk with the new generation of managers at some point, unless the FA is hoping Bosz or Ten Hag magically become available a year (or 3?) from now.

The good thing is Memphis' BS won't be tolerated. I recall LVG threatening to leave Sneijder out of the 2014 WC if he didn't improve his fitness. Maybe they need a cnut like LVG at the helm. The positive for me is that LVG might still favour a 3 at the back system. I still think that's the way to go with 3 world class CBs (VVD, De Vrij, De Ligt) and some really good backups (Ake, Timber, Bazoer, Blind).

Memphis Malen
F. De Jong Wijnaldum ?
? Virgil De Vrij De Ligt Dumfries
Cillessen

Maybe Bijlow gets a chance as GK. For LWB maybe Dilrosun or Rensch? There are a bunch of midfield options, just anyone but De Roon please. LVG is good at working with young players, so I imagine we'll see some new faces.
thanks. Really good insight.

from a neutrals perspective, it’s great to have him back in management. He’s never dull, although his football often is!

Always want to see a decent Dutch side.