Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Moby

Dick
Absolutely not :lol:

I feel I could probably do the first 3-4 pantheons but I just find no fun in boss rush modes so I'll be doing something I don't enjoy.
It's quite fun. Having the next boss at the back of your mind and trying to save masks or soul makes you use different tactics. Each run is fairly short as well (apart from p5).

Ainu

No point doing it if you don't enjoy it, it'll only lead to frustration. But you never know, after my first playthrough (in which I also did Trial of the Fool and the Path of Pain), I said no fecking way. Three or four months later I returned and decided to take it on anyway.

Ainu

You already are thinking what strategies you will be using for it, aren't you. :lol:
No, I'm really not. :lol: I've only recently been practicing some of the harder fights again, just because, and it's pretty sobering. Even after several dozen attempts over a few weeks, my win ratio against Absolute Radiance is below 1/10. I'm nowhere near where I used to be and even at my best I couldn't have come close to completing it with bindings.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's quite fun. Having the next boss at the back of your mind and trying to save masks or soul makes you use different tactics. Each run is fairly short as well (apart from p5).
How many did you complete?

No point doing it if you don't enjoy it, it'll only lead to frustration. But you never know, after my first playthrough (in which I also did Trial of the Fool and the Path of Pain), I said no fecking way. Three or four months later I returned and decided to take it on anyway.
Maybe if I finish Celeste DLC and Silk Song hasn't come out... Who knows. It's just spending long chunks of time, then dying and having to do it again will piss me off. Wasting 10 minutes every time I died in ToF was doing my nut :lol:

Is @dumbo the only one who got the Weathered Mask in here?
What's this? Please explain.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You have to complete the Pantheon of Hallownest with each of the four bindings to get that. Not at the same time, unless you're a complete maniac, but it's still incredibly difficult.
Yeah. No. feck that :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Completed two and did the third to the last part but quit early on that because that second half line up is a pain that I don't wanna spend time on. :lol:
Still good mate. Now to ToF and PoP ya tool.

Moby

Dick
It's just spending long chunks of time, then dying and having to do it again will piss me off
That's the thing it doesn't take long for individual pantheons. Assuming you have a maxxed out character it takes few seconds to destroy each boss. At least the first two are absolute jobbers and the third up till normal grim is pretty easy. Even in third it takes like 5-10 mins to either finish it or die.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
ToF is still fun but I'm shit at platforming in this game in general. I tried redoing white palace last part for fun and remembered why my therapist warned me to stay away from that stuff. :lol:
:lol:

That's the thing it doesn't take long for individual pantheons. Assuming you have a maxxed out character it takes few seconds to destroy each boss. At least the first two are absolute jobbers and the third up till normal grim is pretty easy. Even in third it takes like 5-10 mins to either finish it or die.
You're tempting me I can't lie :lol:

What's a good charm setup for the pantheons?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely not :lol:

I feel I could probably do the first 3-4 pantheons but I just find no fun in boss rush modes so I'll be doing something I don't enjoy.
Then don't do it. I mean you can try it out. I did for the challenge and cleared two. But I clearly wasn't having fun and wasn't good enough to beat beat all anyway. Or maybe I cleared one. Can't remember.

Same with Sekiro. Adore that game but it has a boss rush mode and I was like NOPE.

Ainu

My general purpose pantheon setup would be Unbreakable Strength (Fragile is ok here but you've got Unbreakable anyway), Quick Slash, Quick Focus, Grubsong and Nailmaster's Glory. The Nailmaster's Glory is only really used in a couple of fights but I can't be bothered constantly changing my setup. The only groups I've always changed my setups for are the one with Lost Kin (I really want Defender's Crest here) and the one with Markoth because I need Shaman Stone to instantly end his second phase. In the earlier pantheons you can probably optimize a bit more.

Moby

Dick
My general purpose pantheon setup would be Unbreakable Strength (Fragile is ok here but you've got Unbreakable anyway), Quick Slash, Quick Focus, Grubsong and Nailmaster's Glory. The Nailmaster's Glory is only really used in a couple of fights but I can't be bothered constantly changing my setup. The only groups I've always changed my setups for are the one with Lost Kin (I really want Defender's Crest here) and the one with Markoth because I need Shaman Stone to instantly end his second phase. In the earlier pantheons you can probably optimize a bit more.
Very nail heavy setup there. I always keep Shaman Stone - best charm in the game for me. Earlier bosses can be face tanked but prefer using spells for quicker kills later on.

Don't mind using Soul Catcher which works well with quick slash. So yeah I think for me it is Strength, Quick Slash, Shaman Stone and Soul Catcher which I think leaves a spot for Grubsong/Crest. I never used nail arts much but I suspect had I reached No eyes I would have needed it.

I don't use quick focus because my intention is generally to go hitless. I was able to do go hitless (practically) for 2.5 pantheons minus the final bosses where I was a bit new to them. First pantheon is a joke. Second as well is pretty much a few mins of practice. And that's why I quit in the third because I never had enough practice vs the likes of Zote and Hornet 2 to do them hitless - even Uumuu for that matter that I've not practiced much.

Ainu

Very nail heavy setup there. I always keep Shaman Stone - best charm in the game for me. Earlier bosses can be face tanked but prefer using spells for quicker kills later on.

Don't mind using Soul Catcher which works well with quick slash. So yeah I think for me it is Strength, Quick Slash, Shaman Stone and Soul Catcher which I think leaves a spot for Grubsong/Crest. I never used nail arts much but I suspect had I reached No eyes I would have needed it.

I don't use quick focus because my intention is generally to go hitless. I was able to do go hitless (practically) for 2.5 pantheons minus the final bosses where I was a bit new to them. First pantheon is a joke. Second as well is pretty much a few mins of practice. And that's why I quit in the third because I never had enough practice vs the likes of Zote and Hornet 2 to do them hitless - even Uumuu for that matter that I've not practiced much.
Spells are not a strength of mine, that's true. I like to have a lot of soul for healing and DDark when necessary. Trying to not get hit is a great idea of course, but not something I've ever considered a viable strategy for me personally. I'm talking about P5 though, maybe it can be a decent strategy in earlier pantheons. Less chances to mess it up. In P5 I really want the option to have quick heals and save a run when I'm having a bad fight 30+ minutes into the run.

Moby

Dick
Spells are not a strength of mine, that's true. I like to have a lot of soul for healing and DDark when necessary. Trying to not get hit is a great idea of course, but not something I've ever considered a viable strategy for me personally. I'm talking about P5 though, maybe it can be a decent strategy in earlier pantheons. Less chances to mess it up. In P5 I really want the option to have quick heals and save a run when I'm having a bad fight 30+ minutes into the run.
Yeah definitely understand that in P5. I used to use quick focus a lot in earlier main game but then just quit it. There are quite a few fights (Grimm, Watcher Knights, Hornet 2 etc) where even with quick focus it is dangerous to heal. And the more I went on in the game I decided to rely less on healing and more on learning and avoiding hits (this has come into much greater use now that I am playing Sekiro and Cuphead :lol:). So I pretty much ditched quick focus for good.

By the way I haven't used it but Carefree melody seems to be a very OP charm and can avoid getting hit at critical moments. Could be a good one while doing P5.

Ainu

Yeah definitely understand that in P5. I used to use quick focus a lot in earlier main game but then just quit it. There are quite a few fights (Grimm, Watcher Knights, Hornet 2 etc) where even with quick focus it is dangerous to heal. And the more I went on in the game I decided to rely less on healing and more on learning and avoiding hits (this has come into much greater use now that I am playing Sekiro and Cuphead :lol:). So I pretty much ditched quick focus for good.

By the way I haven't used it but Carefree melody seems to be a very OP charm and can avoid getting hit at critical moments. Could be a good one while doing P5.
Believe me, you need to be at a level where you can do most fights hitless or very nearly hitless in a one-off (except Absolute Radiance, feck that), but there's just so much that can go wrong during a P5 run. Keeping your concentration for the entire duration is hard, being able to come back from the brink of a loss is invaluable. I did run without Quick Focus for a very long time but at some point I started noticing how much more comfortable I felt with it against Absolute Radiance and then just kept it in my standard build. :lol: Bit extreme I guess.

Moby

Dick
Believe me, you need to be at a level where you can do most fights hitless or very nearly hitless in a one-off (except Absolute Radiance, feck that), but there's just so much that can go wrong during a P5 run. Keeping your concentration for the entire duration is hard, being able to come back from the brink of a loss is invaluable. I did run without Quick Focus for a very long time but at some point I started noticing how much more comfortable I felt with it against Absolute Radiance and then just kept it in my standard build. :lol: Bit extreme I guess.
Yeah. :lol:

I mean I got frustrated even with the normal Radiance because it meant having to fight THK again which was just a chore at that point. I've watched a few people getting sniped at the climb for AbsRad and yeah, that's worthy of smashing the controller alright. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

I mean I got frustrated even with the normal Radiance because it meant having to fight THK again which was just a chore at that point. I've watched a few people getting sniped at the climb for AbsRad and yeah, that's worthy of smashing the controller alright. :lol:
Sniped on the way to the top to finish of Radiance (didn't happen to me)
Dying to God Tamer in the Trial Of Fools (didn't happen to me)
Getting killed by the Kingsmould at the end of Path Of Pain (happened to me)

These three seem to be what causes a lot of people mental destruction from this game I feel :lol:

Moby

Dick
Sniped on the way to the top to finish of Radiance (didn't happen to me)
Dying to God Tamer in the Trial Of Fools (didn't happen to me)
Getting killed by the Kingsmould at the end of Path Of Pain (happened to me)

These three seem to be what causes a lot of people mental destruction from this game I feel :lol:

These devs have genuinely fecked around with the players with the PoP being rewarded with a cut-scene being their peak moment of trolling.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

These devs have genuinely fecked around with the players with the PoP being rewarded with a cut-scene being their peak moment of trolling.
To be fair, I actually really dug that scene. Says so much with so little.

But putting those Kingsmoulds in there where you are not ready to battle is such a dickish move!

Ainu

You don't seem to remember my post on here, which was even worse. Getting to the top of the climb towards the very last phase of Absolute Radiance at the end of P5 on full masks, only to completely choke and die just as she did her signature move to the center which indicates that she only needs one more hit. :lol: Of course all of those other things on Dirty's list happened to me as well.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You don't seem to remember my post on here, which was even worse. Getting to the top of the climb towards the very last phase of Absolute Radiance at the end of P5 on full masks, only to completely choke and die just as she did her signature move to the center which indicates that she only needs one more hit. :lol: Of course all of those other things on Dirty's list happened to me as well.
With that type of PTSD, you'll be on some sort of AA meeting for HK players in the future :lol:

Moby

Dick
To be fair, I actually really dug that scene. Says so much with so little.
Yeah it is really good. I loved the whole climb from the Abyss as well. Brilliant lore overall.

Very souls like in a way because it makes you interpret the whole story through a few images and sequences and a bunch of it is open to interpretation. Love that kinda storytelling.

In the end we don't even know if we were fighting for the good side. We were an offspring of a genocidal king who used a mysterious substance to create this offspring. And going by one of the godhome endings, no one knows what happens when the void escapes out of godhome and spreads into the entire hallownest.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah it is really good. I loved the whole climb from the Abyss as well. Brilliant lore overall.

Very souls like in a way because it makes you interpret the whole story through a few images and sequences and a bunch of it is open to interpretation. Love that kinda storytelling.

In the end we don't even know if we were fighting for the good side. We were an offspring of a genocidal king who used a mysterious substance to create this offspring. And going by one of the godhome endings, no one knows what happens when the void escapes out of godhome and spreads into the entire hallownest.
Has there been any word on what ending is true cannon? I love the ending at the end of P5. It's terrifying. Like Brexit. Sometimes change can be worse than no change :lol:

Moby

Dick

Yeah I remember that. The one time I beat the normal radiance I was absolutely shitting it on the climb, and pretty much had a couple of close shaves. I know what I had felt had that gone to shit, and AbsRad must have felt a million times worse.

Really the fecking Radiance design is massively cnutish designed to feck with the players. :lol:

Moby

Dick
Has there been any word on what ending is true cannon? I love the ending at the end of P5. It's terrifying. Like Brexit. Sometimes change can be worse than no change :lol:
That's the one I think. Or maybe both that and the true ending in the main game are considered equally. I don't remember which is the one where THK gets released and goes after Hornet, but I think that's the one that is most commonly considered canon. That's a fecking cliffhanger.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
That's the one I think. Or maybe both that and the true ending in the main game are considered equally. I don't remember which is the one where THK gets released and goes after Hornet, but I think that's the one that is most commonly considered canon. That's a fecking cliffhanger.
Is Silk Song a sequel or prequel?

Ainu

There's an alternative ending of P5 which is much more optimistic, achieved by completing it after giving the Godseeker a delicate flower. The void is sort of cleansed in that ending. As to which one is canon, I don't think Team Cherry will ever clarify that, if they even have a canon ending.

Moby

Dick
Is Silk Song a sequel or prequel?
Looks kinda unrelated. It starts with Hornet kidnapped and being taken to some other place that has no relation to Hallownest. I think it was just meant to be a spin off for Hornet.

There's an alternative ending of P5 which is much more optimistic, achieved by completing it after giving the Godseeker a delicate flower. The void is sort of cleansed in that ending. As to which one is canon, I don't think Team Cherry will ever clarify that, if they even have a canon ending.
Yeah that one is there as well. I think it is the main godhome ending which is closest to being canon. Void escapes into Hallownest, and Hornet has to fight vs THK assisted by the void. I remember her telling the knight in the game that she kinda hates the void side of the vessels.

Pretty much no chance it ever makes it into any game. Like Bloodborne where you just have to live with with never knowing what really fecking happens in the end.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Looks kinda unrelated. It starts with Hornet kidnapped and being taken to some other place that has no relation to Hallownest. I think it was just meant to be a spin off for Hornet.

Yeah that one is there as well. I think it is the main godhome ending which is closest to being canon. Void escapes into Hallownest, and Hornet has to fight vs THK assisted by the void. I remember her telling the knight in the game that she kinda hates the void side of the vessels.

Pretty much no chance it ever makes it into any game. Like Bloodborne where you just have to live with with never knowing what really fecking happens in the end.
If I had a PlayStation, I would have bought this. My brother said he feels like it's the 3d, spiritual successor to HK.