Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Moby

Dick
If I had a PlayStation, I would have bought this. My brother said he feels like it's the 3d, spiritual successor to HK.
They are indeed very similar in a lot of things, although it is HK that has been inspired by the Souls concept. In fact I keep seeing a bunch of direct inspirations especially from Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is incredible, absolute must play for everyone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If I had a PlayStation, I would have bought this. My brother said he feels like it's the 3d, spiritual successor to HK.
Now that your love for gaming has been rekindled you should really get a Playstation. Even a PS4 will offer so much right now.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Now that your love for gaming has been rekindled you should really get a Playstation. Even a PS4 will offer so much right now.
Nah, the reason I am able to play much more now is due to the Switch being handheld. Finding time to sit in front of the telebox will be an issue for me with having two kids and a wife :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I gave the first pantheon a go yesterday. The final boss killed me but it wasn't that hard.

However, I didn't enjoy that at all so that's me moving on from HK :(

Bosws87

Just started this today after the love it got in the greatest games chat.

just defeated the mantis lord took me a couple of tries, i'm enjoying it super similar to ori if you like either you will enjoy the other it seems.

gotta get it finished before Horizon!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

just defeated the mantis lord took me a couple of tries, i'm enjoying it super similar to ori if you like either you will enjoy the other it seems.

I was one of the rare morons that managed to skip this battle (unknowingly) and then when I eventually came back to it, it was way too easy because I was so powered up by then.

)_(

Remains one of the best fights of the game I think. It's the first time it feels like you're really in a dance and then the epic music coming in, one of the best tunes of the game imo.

Have fun with the game. Ngl I am definitely jealous you get to experience this game for the first time so take your time and enjoy it and try not to look up too much.

Watched someone's first playthrough on youtube recently and the mad man did pop in 15 mins on his first try. Meanwhile I can barely get to the wingmoulds in the first room :lol: :lol: tbf I've only tried it once so maybe I should give it a real shot.

Hoping they'll at least drop some news on the 5th anniversary of HK, even if it's not silk song itself I'm hoping for some news at least.. even if it's just to let us know they're still working on it :')

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Is this game best played on PC or on a console (I'll be playing on the switch)?

Bosws87

Is this game best played on PC or on a console (I'll be playing on the switch)?
I've started it on PC just tweaked some of the controls and it plays great, for some unknown reason the default controls use the arrows instead of wasd.

plays great at 240hz the controls are really responsive.

I've finished for the night got up to the royal waterways!

Bosws87

Been playing this on and off inbetween Apex legends, think i'm exploring the Deepnest currently.

I'm enjoying it not too difficult so far, i can imagine it being a nightmare for the more casual types, most deaths are from me just rushing trying to get back to a certain area.

Will crack on with it some more over the weekend :)

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Been playing this on and off inbetween Apex legends, think i'm exploring the Deepnest currently.

I'm enjoying it not too difficult so far, i can imagine it being a nightmare for the more casual types, most deaths are from me just rushing trying to get back to a certain area.

Will crack on with it some more over the weekend :)
That's good progress. Are you generally exploring or using online hints?

Bosws87

That's good progress. Are you generally exploring or using online hints?
Exploring, only hints i use is if i can't find the map guy quickly in a new area, just doing the colosseum atm done 2 of the 3 trials then just opened up the abyss!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Exploring, only hints i use is if i can't find the map guy quickly in a new area, just doing the colosseum atm done 2 of the 3 trials then just opened up the abyss!
See how you get on with the Trial Of Fools. It's frustrating but fun.

The abyss was my favourite bit. Felt like I needed a shower after I went there though :lol:

Bosws87

Completed the main storyline just now think overall completion is like 53% ill explore the couple of side areas then call it a day, can never be bothered with 100% completion.

Fun game very similar to Ori not sure which one i'd prefer out of the two both are pretty close.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Completed the main storyline just now think overall completion is like 53% ill explore the couple of side areas then call it a day, can never be bothered with 100% completion.

Fun game very similar to Ori not sure which one i'd prefer out of the two both are pretty close.
I think the full standard compete is about 107%

Plus 1% for Trial Of Fools and 4% for Pantheons.

I got to 108% (didn't do Pantheons) and I'm not a great gamer so I bet you can easily reach that.

Not sure what you've missed but you seemed to have missed a lot. A lot of the side stuff is really cool, it's worth doing them I think!

)_(

If you've only got 53% then you've probably have a lot of the game left to explore. I'm assuming you only have the first ending at this point. And yea what @Dirty Schwein said, you've probably missed a lot of cool stuff. Not saying you need to 112% it or even 107% it but there's definitely some stuff worth doing still, at least to get the "true" ending. The lead up to that is some of the best stuff in the game imo. But maybe that will come once you get to exploring a couple of side areas (and revisit some of the areas you couldn't previously explore because of abilities)

In very exciting silk song news, William Pellen has told pc gamer that they're still steadily working on the game....now I don't need updates like they did during the development of HK but I'd like a bit more than that already very exciting news :')

Moby

Dick

Just the first ending is nowhere near getting the best out of this game. True ending at the very minimum and I'd do all optional areas and bosses.

Ainu

I'm going to guess you did pretty much the bare minimum to finish the game at 53%. Almost raced through it even. You must've fought Watcher Knights and The Hollow Knight missing many of the upgrades and abilities, pretty impressive actually.

Bosws87

I'm going to guess you did pretty much the bare minimum to finish the game at 53%. Almost raced through it even. You must've fought Watcher Knights and The Hollow Knight missing many of the upgrades and abilities, pretty impressive actually.
I had double jump, dash through enemies and the crystal launch skill, the focus charm, the charm where you can see yourself on the map and the charm which collects the geo for you.

I figured out early on that just hitting the watcher knights from above made that fight super easy.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Finally! I’ve started this quite and few times but have struggled to see the appeal … until last night.

Just stuck it on again for a bit and at last, it’s got it’s claws into me now. Better late than never!

Just beaten the False Knight.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Finally! I’ve started this quite and few times but have struggled to see the appeal … until last night.

Just stuck it on again for a bit and at last, it’s got it’s claws into me now. Better late than never!

Just beaten the False Knight.
Haha time for some fun! Keep us posted

Ainu

Mantis Lords are optional, right? Can they be beaten when encountered the first time with next to no charms or upgrades? @Dirty Schwein
Yes, absolutely, that's how I did them initially. They are pretty challenging early on but learning to master that fight feels awesome. The sense of accomplishment will be diminished later on. Afterwards, you'll be able to claim an extra charm in a room that was previously locked by one of the mantis warriors.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not had much time for PS5 lately but whenever I have, this is what I've been playing. Games like this are dangerous when you are my age. Hours literally disappear into thin air and before you know it, you're 8 hours closer to the grave!

)_(

Some people will hate me for updating this thread for understandable reasons but I just had to share that I just beat absrad. Played her a few times in the past, months ago and just picked it back up again few days ago playing half an hour here or there and finally managed it. Crazy to think that at some point I was near ready to give up cause I couldn't beat regular radiance. Now to git gud enough at it so that I can beat her at the same ratio I beat regular radiance nowadays.

Moby

Dick
Some people will hate me for updating this thread for understandable reasons but I just had to share that I just beat absrad. Played her a few times in the past, months ago and just picked it back up again few days ago playing half an hour here or there and finally managed it. Crazy to think that at some point I was near ready to give up cause I couldn't beat regular radiance. Now to git gud enough at it so that I can beat her at the same ratio I beat regular radiance nowadays.
Nice one!

Woodzy

Damn you

Ainu

Missed this as I was away for a while, well done! Did you keep at it? P5 is waiting for you. ;)

)_(

Missed this as I was away for a while, well done! Did you keep at it? P5 is waiting for you. ;)
I started it up again a few days before I beat her after not trying for a few months. Just fighting her for half an hour here or there. My best run is still that time I beat her 4 out of 5 times. It really comes down to luck too, not having orbs spawn under your @ss, her snipes being off on the climb, not having 2 attacks intersect where you can't avoid the other.
But yea... that's gonna be a no from me dawg :') I enjoyed fighting absrad but boss rushes are not my thing.

There is actually "news" so you can't completely hate me for updating this thread again, statement from team cherry after winning the 2021 unity award for most anticipated game:

We’re honored that Hollow Knight: Silksong won the 2021 Unity Award for the most anticipated game, and hugely appreciate all of the fans who support us as we work on the game. Thank you so much. We’re looking forward to the day we can share the game with you all. It can’t be too much longer, surely!” – Team Cherry

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I started it up again a few days before I beat her after not trying for a few months. Just fighting her for half an hour here or there. My best run is still that time I beat her 4 out of 5 times. It really comes down to luck too, not having orbs spawn under your @ss, her snipes being off on the climb, not having 2 attacks intersect where you can't avoid the other.
But yea... that's gonna be a no from me dawg :') I enjoyed fighting absrad but boss rushes are not my thing.

There is actually "news" so you can't completely hate me for updating this thread again, statement from team cherry after winning the 2021 unity award for most anticipated game:

We’re honored that Hollow Knight: Silksong won the 2021 Unity Award for the most anticipated game, and hugely appreciate all of the fans who support us as we work on the game. Thank you so much. We’re looking forward to the day we can share the game with you all. It can’t be too much longer, surely!” – Team Cherry
I was about to give you abuse but you saved it there.

I rather they take their time and perfect it so don't mind waiting.

Moby

Dick
I rather they take their time and perfect it so don't mind waiting.
That's the reason for the delay I think. They started making this before Hollow Knight became so popular and highly rated, and after that they are just worried they won't be able to either match the quality of HK or not provide enough fresh mechanics and elements. To be fair they've set very high standards and it would be difficult to match it.

)_(

That's the reason for the delay I think. They started making this before Hollow Knight became so popular and highly rated, and after that they are just worried they won't be able to either match the quality of HK or not provide enough fresh mechanics and elements. To be fair they've set very high standards and it would be difficult to match it.
Yep, all this hype is just piling the pressure on for them. And you basically can't do it right. A sequel isn't going to hit those same heights purely because you lose a bit of the wonder and magic of the first game. HK also came out two years after the intended release iirc. It came out with tons of bugs too and a bunch of dlc was added later. I assume they wanna deliver a more finished game with silksong hence it taking a bit longer. They probably shouldn't have done the showcase in 2019 though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Started it again, got over the initial hump, fecking love it. I mean it's basically a Metroidvania From Software game, what's not to love?

Soundtrack is :drool:

Ainu

Yep, all this hype is just piling the pressure on for them. And you basically can't do it right. A sequel isn't going to hit those same heights purely because you lose a bit of the wonder and magic of the first game. HK also came out two years after the intended release iirc. It came out with tons of bugs too and a bunch of dlc was added later. I assume they wanna deliver a more finished game with silksong hence it taking a bit longer. They probably shouldn't have done the showcase in 2019 though.
They're still there!

Sorry...