Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It took me like 4-5 tries to beat Hornet and that's just the second boss. I'm not gonna last long. :lol:
I get killed by random baddies like the mushroom cnut that says "waaaa!" And bounces around :lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It took me like 4-5 tries to beat Hornet and that's just the second boss. I'm not gonna last long. :lol:
I'm sure if you were to go up against Hornet again you'd be absolutely fine though. At some point it clicks I feel.
Ok im going to give this another shot tonight and see what happens
It took me quite a few hours before I "got" it so stick with it. And the soundtrack is great so headphones are a good idea.

Moby

Dick
I'm sure if you were to go up against Hornet again you'd be absolutely fine though. At some point it clicks I feel.
Yeah its mainly about understanding the pattern. I'm currently struggling with those two parallel mushroom cnuts who spit orange gook. Get one of them but the other one gets me.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah its mainly about understanding the pattern. I'm currently struggling with those two parallel mushroom cnuts who spit orange gook. Get one of them but the other one gets me.
Is that the cnut who shells up when you go near him?

Ainu

I managed to beat the Mantis Lords earlier tonight, feck me they were hard. I could do the first part pretty much eyes closed by the time I won. Definitely the biggest skill check so far.

I didn't know where to go after that, suddenly I was fighting some teleporting arseholes that managed to piss me off even more than the Mantis Lords. :lol:

What a game.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Mantis Lords are a pain if you are underlevelled. I'm currently doing dream
Zote
and the 3rd level of the colosseum and my God what a fecking pain in the hole. Also Enraged Guardian was a nightmare despite knowing what to do having beaten them all before.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I managed to beat the Mantis Lords earlier tonight, feck me they were hard. I could do the first part pretty much eyes closed by the time I won. Definitely the biggest skill check so far.

I didn't know where to go after that, suddenly I was fighting some teleporting arseholes that managed to piss me off even more than the Mantis Lords. :lol:

What a game.
Are you in the City of Tears? If so you probably wandered into Soul Sanctum. Even the regular enemies are annoying in there.

Woodzy

I get killed by random baddies like the mushroom cnut that says "waaaa!" And bounces around :lol:
I love that guy :lol:

For people stuck on Mantis Lords, you should probably upgrade your nail first. I think the game even advises that actually (although my current play through I did it without :cool:).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I love that guy :lol:

For people stuck on Mantis Lords, you should probably upgrade your nail first. I think the game even advises that actually (although my current play through I did it without :cool:).
How do you upgrade nail?

Woodzy

How do you upgrade nail?
Can’t remember 100% even though I only did it yesterday, but you should be able to get the Mantis Claw before you face Mantis Lords (who I think are optional anyway).

This should allow you to progress to City of Tears and there’s an area there where you can buy it off a bloke in a hut

Might be slightly wrong with the details though. There’s a bloke in Mantis Village you can speak to that will tell you where to go roughly.

Ainu

I feel like I'm all over the place in this game. Now I'm trying to fight Brooding Mawlek and it's just so insanely hard it feels like I shouldn't be here yet. Mantis Lords were hard but it was immediately clear how to beat them, just had to get better. This guy though, no clue. And just now I even managed to mess up my route to him so badly I lost everything. My motivation is just completely crushed at the moment.

Edit: and then I beat him on the first try after this post, classic. :lol:

Last edited:

Ainu

Frustration levels are rocketing again. I beat the Soul Master and as a reward it dumps me in a place with a million respawning enemies that is just too much to deal with. On top of that, I had to deal with my ghost at the same time. Couple of fails and now I died before getting my soul back, so I've lost ALL of the rewards I got from the Soul Master plus a massive bonus cache after that. There's a lot to love in this game but this is well into bullshit territory. Took all my willpower not to destroy my controller.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finished it, seriously can’t praise this game enough and it’s without doubt one of the finest most beautifully wonderful games I’ve ever played. Going to go back to it and clean up some stuff I didn’t do but I already can’t wait for the next one.

God Bless Hornet

Woodzy

Finished it, seriously can’t praise this game enough and it’s without doubt one of the finest most beautifully wonderful games I’ve ever played. Going to go back to it and clean up some stuff I didn’t do but I already can’t wait for the next one.

God Bless Hornet
Make sure you go for 107% completion!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is free with PSN this month right? Or is that Shovel Knight? I always confuse these dumb Indie games. Should I get it?

el3mel

Frustration levels are rocketing again. I beat the Soul Master and as a reward it dumps me in a place with a million respawning enemies that is just too much to deal with. On top of that, I had to deal with my ghost at the same time. Couple of fails and now I died before getting my soul back, so I've lost ALL of the rewards I got from the Soul Master plus a massive bonus cache after that. There's a lot to love in this game but this is well into bullshit territory. Took all my willpower not to destroy my controller.
It's easy to accumulate souls in this game especially later on. Don't worry about it.

Moby

Dick
You can either have a bash at Mantis Lords by going down into the village, or otherwise Cit of Tears I think (and Soul Sanctum).
Cheers guess I'll go back down there. I thought Mantis Village was a sub-area of Fungal Waste only to get Mantis Claw, so I went back to Queen's Station to get that Mask Fragment for which you need the claw to climb walls. Then just collected loads of geo in the earlier areas to buy all the charms available at that charm seller at forgotten crossroads. I'll probably do the same for a while again as I want to buy all the stuff on the shops. Guess the best way to do that is repeatedly kill the two Husk Guards again and again as they give good geo.

Woodzy

How difficult is it to get from 100 to 107%? Not that I'll ever get to 100% :lol:
I never managed it myself :lol: I think I got 102% on my Switch copy, - it was fairly easy but lots of exploring.

From what I remember, neither Godmaster DLC or Path of Pain count to completion rate which are where the insane difficulty spikes are.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I never managed it myself :lol: I think I got 102% on my Switch copy, - it was fairly easy but lots of exploring.

From what I remember, neither Godmaster DLC or Path of Pain count to completion rate which are where the insane difficulty spikes are.
Fair enough.

Sorry I have another question. How important is it to buy all the charms and things? I've never used any charm beyond the default for example.

Should I trek back and buy everything I can? Will it make the game easier?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is free with PSN this month right? Or is that Shovel Knight? I always confuse these dumb Indie games. Should I get it?
Yup it's this. Really looking forward to playing it. Excellent game (from the good chunk I played on PC).

Moby

Dick
Fair enough.

Sorry I have another question. How important is it to buy all the charms and things? I've never used any charm beyond the default for example.

Should I trek back and buy everything I can? Will it make the game easier?
From the bits I've looked on the internet yeah charms are important. I'm barely into the game but have taken the one that extends the range of the nail and one that allows you to heal quickly along with the compass and the one that gathers all the geo without making you collect every coin. They are really handy.

Woodzy

Charms are only important in the sense that they make you stronger. I wouldn’t stress out about them too much and definitely don’t stress if you lose geo.

In terms of game progress you only really need to pick up the Metroid style abilities that unlock new routes for you to progress through the ‘story’.

Definitely have fun with the charms though, lots of different combinations you can make, but you’ll find the charms are very easy to come by if you do enough exploration and know where the vendors are.

Woodzy

Just beat Watcher Knights. Forgot how tricky they were!

OMG this game though, i'm in love with it. Think i've nearly got most of the stuff I need for story progression. Need to remember how to get the tram pass, and also need the ability to walk in water to get the third dreamer, can't remember how to get that.

Also come across Traitor Lord boss. Incredibly difficult, but I have a vague recollection that

If you save Zote from Deepnest, he helps out with that boss?

Woodzy

Just finished it again - 90% completion in 17 hours. Think it would be rude not to go for full completion now.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Just started this. Usually suck at hard platforming, We'll see.

Ainu

Does anyone else on the PS4 version have audio issues at certain points? One of the opening notes of the Crystal Peak theme has some awful static/noise/compression. I thought something was wrong with my speaker but I just noticed it's still there with headphones. Really weird.