Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair it gets a hell of a lot easier (and more enjoyable) as you upgrade your abilities. As you open up more of the map, there are a lot more travel stags as well. Don't worry brother, I'll complete this for the both of us!

I'm not gonna get the crazy percentage some people here got but I'll do my best.

I'm scared of going into white palace...
Are you some kind of savant or you just have a lot of time on your hands? As you've past me in progress and skill and I think I started long before you :(

el3mel

Did you two realise you can kill one of them before even starting the fight?

I didn't until I beat them which was annoying.
I know after it too while googling it, but it wouldn't have solved the problem of having to concentrate for a lot of time while facing 2 on the screen. It's just too hard to not slip and make mistakes, and one mistake leads to the next and ultimately death. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Are you some kind of savant or you just have a lot of time on your hands? As you've past me in progress and skill and I think I started long before you :(
:lol:

We just had a new born so myself and the wife are doing shifts at night. Thankfully the baby sleeps a lot so I smash Hollow Knight to pass the time.

I bought the game when I got my Switch all the way back when the first lockdown happened.

(Feb 2020 - December 24th 2020) I only got to Soul Sanctum.

(December 25th until now) - I've done everything else.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
That's where I stopped.

Guess I need to have some babies.
I've just come across a boss called Troupe Master Grimm. He's making me want to quit. So bloody hard. He's shattered all the confidence I built up and I'm about to go in the shower and cry.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
:lol:

We just had a new born so myself and the wife are doing shifts at night. Thankfully the baby sleeps a lot so I smash Hollow Knight to pass the time.

I bought the game when I got my Switch all the way back when the first lockdown happened.

(Feb 2020 - December 24th 2020) I only got to Soul Sanctum.

(December 25th until now) - I've done everything else.
Fair enough. I can relate to that I was talking loads when I was on baby duty. Good times!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't have the patience for these types of games anymore - this along with me being ancient now with rubbish reflexes means that I bounce off it within about 2 mins.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Bastard hard boss but best music in the game.
I've beaten him in the end. Now I'm up against the nightmare version and it's not happening. This is my limit me thinks... I might just skip this fight. I found troupe master incredibly difficult and this guy is far worse.

Will I get a worst ending of I don't kill this guy?

Ainu

I've beaten him in the end. Now I'm up against the nightmare version and it's not happening. This is my limit me thinks... I might just skip this fight. I found troupe master incredibly difficult and this guy is far worse.

Will I get a worst ending of I don't kill this guy?
He's only part of the DLC, doesn't affect the ending. It's worth noting you can just go finish the game and then return, do whatever you like and finish it again by the way. You had the black egg open right? Just go ahead and finish it, then return and do the White Palace.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
He's only part of the DLC, doesn't affect the ending. It's worth noting you can just go finish the game and then return, do whatever you like and finish it again by the way. You had the black egg open right? Just go ahead and finish it, then return and do the White Palace.
Nah I want to finish everything before going to black egg. Once I kill hollow Knight and get the ending, I'll probably move on to a new game. I tend to play most games like this, which is why I'm running around doing so the side missions.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I've tried Nightmare King Grimm a few times. Not happening. I can't even survive more than 20 seconds. He moves fast, attacks fast, takes two lives per hit and you can only get minimal hits on him. Everyone has their limits (except @dumbo ) and this guy is mine.

I've heard you can banish him. I'm gonna do it. Although I feel like a snitch informant :lol:

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I've tried Nightmare King Grimm a few times. Not happening. I can't even survive more than 20 seconds. He moves fast, attacks fast, takes two lives per hit and you can only get minimal hits on him. Everyone has their limits (except @dumbo ) and this guy is mine.

I've heard you can banish him. I'm gonna do it. Although I feel like a snitch informant :lol:
Make sure you've upgraded your fragile charms before you banish him.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Make sure you've upgraded your fragile charms before you banish him.
I was thinking about this. I've upgraded fragile strength as I use that a lot. It's there any point spending so many moolah on the other two of I'll hardly be using them? Does it add to the completion percentage?

Ainu

I was thinking about this. I've upgraded fragile strength as I use that a lot. It's there any point spending so many moolah on the other two of I'll hardly be using them? Does it add to the completion percentage?
I'd say the other two are pretty pointless. As far as I know you really don't need the unbreakable versions for anything but make sure they're actually in your inventory when you banish. So if you've given one away, you'll need to offer up the geo to get it back in unbreakable form.

If you want to upgrade them anyway, the fastest way I found was constantly repeating the second trial, which nets you about 2000 geo per go.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'd say the other two are pretty pointless. As far as I know you really don't need the unbreakable versions for anything but make sure they're actually in your inventory when you banish. So if you've given one away, you'll need to offer up the geo to get it back in unbreakable form.

If you want to upgrade them anyway, the fastest way I found was constantly repeating the second trial, which nets you about 2000 geo per go.
Yeah that was my plan. Do they add to the completion percentage? If not, I won't bother grinding for them geo like a cheap stripper.

Ainu

Yeah that was my plan. Do they add to the completion percentage? If not, I won't bother grinding for them geo like a cheap stripper.
Every charm adds to the completion but having them in fragile form is enough, so no, unbreakable doesn't increase it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Every charm adds to the completion but having them in fragile form is enough, so no, unbreakable doesn't increase it.
Then I'll skip those. I might not banish NKG just yet. I'm gonna upgrade my nail, get all the life and spell upgrades and give him one more go when I'm ready to go in to the black egg temple.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Neither are really necessary but I found the unbreakable heart handy for the tough platforming area's, fragile greed is probably not necessary if you've bought out the shops and kinda useless in general.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Have you done the Path of Pain?
Not yet and probably won't, I'm not that hard core!

My next step should be the white palace but I've decided to do everything else I can first (save the grubs, fully upgraded myself, get all charms, kill all dream bosses etc).

Then I'll do white palace (and give path of pain a go just for shits and giggles).

After that I'll banish the troupe and finally I'll enter the black egg temple.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I'm about to relearn Nightmare King Grimm myself. As well as playing through steel soul and the speed runs I've been grinding the bindings on the first four Pantheons and he only appears in the fifth Pantheon so I haven't encountered him for a long time. The last time I reached him in Pantheon five I found I was reacting as if he were regular Grimm and died quickly, I have to unlearn that.

The good thing about NKG is that his patterns are entirely predictable, the bad thing is they require lightning quick reactions and precise evasion. I think of him as the Fume Knight of Hallownest: he's arguably the toughest boss but once you've mastered him once, you can get him everytime. (Until you let those timings rust away, like me). Super fun though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Does finishing the hunters journal contribute to final completion or get you any new upgrades?

Ainu

Does finishing the hunters journal contribute to final completion or get you any new upgrades?
I don't remember exactly, I don't think it contributes to your completion. You certainly don't get any useful reward. Depending on your platform, it does give a trophy or achievement or whatever, if you care about that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I don't remember exactly, I don't think it contributes to your completion. You certainly don't get any useful reward. Depending on your platform, it does give a trophy or achievement or whatever, if you care about that.
Ahh nah I don't care for achievements. That's all good. Thanks mate. I'm running out of things to do... Might be time to enter the white palace soon...

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I've unlocked Absolute Radiance, now a little time to break her down, then back to the Pantheon.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I've unlocked Absolute Radiance, now a little time to break her down, then back to the Pantheon.
Your a beast mate.

I have to kill Soul Tyrant. Then I've done everything my skill levels will allow. Then move into white palace and then black egg.

But Soul Tyrant doing my nut in. Any tips? I find these bosses hard, where you have minimal opportunities to hit them. I prefer the likes of Failed Champion, who I slapped up with quick slash.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I gave it a go just now in the toilet. Beat him :lol:

No more ways to prolong it. Time to head into White Palace.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
For Soul Tyrant you can stay patient. I've never really been able to chase him down with much success. When he summons the orbs around him you can jump strike then dash for a fairly safe hit; if you need to heal then when he comes back the other way (invisible) you are entirely safe on the ground in the direct middle of the screen (2 heals is very doable). In his final form when he splashes I casually walk left or right and when you hear his audio cue jump then dash immediately after and you won't get hit, then walk back the other way jump->dash again, and just repeat for easy evasion. Once you get that timing down you can easily do the final form hit-less. A very simple boss but a bit of a drag because you have to wait around for him to come into range.

Oh you got him.

For White Palace getting a feel for the down strike pogo will make things a lot easier. You can practice on any single spike, just going back and forward a few times till you feel it. If you haven't got it down yet then just know that the technique is a little finicky to begin with and won't be as simple as something like Duck-tales or Shovel Knight. Once you get a feel for it though it gives you a whole knew range of movement that can get you out of trouble.

Also it's advised not to use the sharp shadow charm in White Palace because most of the distances are designed with regular cloak dash in mind. (Besides Sharp Shadow becomes a needless crutch when you get to the Pantheons).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have access to a non work laptop for 2 weeks. Really want to play this but I don't know if I'll be able to finish it

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
For Soul Tyrant you can stay patient. I've never really been able to chase him down with much success. When he summons the orbs around him you can jump strike then dash for a fairly safe hit; if you need to heal then when he comes back the other way (invisible) you are entirely safe on the ground in the direct middle of the screen (2 heals is very doable). In his final form when he splashes I casually walk left or right and when you hear his audio cue jump then dash immediately after and you won't get hit, then walk back the other way jump->dash again, and just repeat for easy evasion. Once you get that timing down you can easily do the final form hit-less. A very simple boss but a bit of a drag because you have to wait around for him to come into range.

Oh you got him.

For White Palace getting a feel for the down strike pogo will make things a lot easier. You can practice on any single spike, just going back and forward a few times till you feel it. If you haven't got it down yet then just know that the technique is a little finicky to begin with and won't be as simple as something like Duck-tales or Shovel Knight. Once you get a feel for it though it gives you a whole knew range of movement that can get you out of trouble.

Also it's advised not to use the sharp shadow charm in White Palace because most of the distances are designed with regular cloak dash in mind. (Besides Sharp Shadow becomes a needless crutch when you get to the Pantheons).
Thanks mate. I pretty much did what you just typed there to beat Tyrant. And when he went to phase 2, once he stopped bashing the ground, I just abused him with abyss shriek and it was all over.

Yes I need to perfect my down pogo. @Ainu told me of the charm setup to have infinite turns so I'll be doing that. And yes, thanks for the sharp Shadow tip.

I have access to a non work laptop for 2 weeks. Really want to play this but I don't know if I'll be able to finish it
I'd say this is a game you want to take your time with and explore. I'm near the end and have done most of the side missions, it's taken me about 50+ hours of play time. But that includes getting tips from this thread, on my own it would have probably added another 20 hours...

You going for Path of Pain as well?
I'll give it a go for shits and giggles but I'm not the player I used to be so I doubt I'll complete it. Once I finish, the things that will most likely be left undone are: path of pain, trial of fools and the pantheons... Everything else is done and dusted.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd say this is a game you want to take your time with and explore. I'm near the end and have done most of the side missions, it's taken me about 50+ hours of play time. But that includes getting tips from this thread, on my own it would have probably added another 20 hours...
Yeah its a shame. I've played 3-4 hours of it and loved it.I'll just have to get it eventually on the PS4 then.