Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I love Cuphead. It has some gameplay similarities with Hollow Knight but it's less dynamic. The art style is stunning, and the aesthetic concept is flawlessly implemented. One of the best looking games I've played.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I love Cuphead. It has some gameplay similarities with Hollow Knight but it's less dynamic. The art style is stunning, and the aesthetic concept is flawlessly implemented. One of the best looking games I've played.
Is it hard? Like trial of fools?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Is it hard? Like trial of fools?
It prides itself on being a tough boss run game, so it is hard but each battle takes only a couple of minutes and you can quickly get back into the action if you die. Also there are multiple bosses available at any given time so if you struggle with one you can move on, and you don't have to beat every boss to progress.

Trial of fools is probably tougher than completing any single level of Cuphead but you can go for level rankings based on certain criteria. Getting A+ on some of the Cuphead levels is extremely difficult but entirely optional.

If you enjoy a fun challenge that is endlessly visually dazzling then it's a must play.

Undertale is another great indie title with great design and a well structured difficulty progression. The main game is a fair challenge but then a genocide run is extremely challenging.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It prides itself on being a tough boss run game, so it is hard but each battle takes only a couple of minutes and you can quickly get back into the action if you die. Also there are multiple bosses available at any given time so if you struggle with one you can move on, and you don't have to beat every boss to progress.

Trial of fools is probably tougher than completing any single level of Cuphead but you can go for level rankings based on certain criteria. Getting A+ on some of the Cuphead levels is extremely difficult but entirely optional.

If you enjoy a fun challenge that is endlessly visually dazzling then it's a must play.

Undertale is another great indie title with great design and a well structured difficulty progression. The main game is a fair challenge but then a genocide run is extremely challenging.
Ok I'll get Cup Head soon me thinks... I'll check out Undertale!

Woodzy

The art style puts me off Undertale. I feel like one of the incredible things about Hollow Knight is the art style. It makes it more immersive and playable for me.

Cuphead as mentioned also looks incredible visually. I feel like this is how 2D games need to be done in the modern era, not to show that the lesser graphical games cant be enjoyable either.

Ainu

I've tried to get into Undertale twice and gave up after 1-1.5 hours each time. It just feels completely boring and unengaging to me. I don't see it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Got her.

It was my first real attempt at the complete Pantheon of Hallownest since unlocking Absolute Radiant. It was partly meant to be recon to brush up on all the early bosses I'd been neglecting but it was very smooth sailing throughout and Absolute Radiant went well, with decent rng. A bit tight at the end but I saw the opportunity and took it. I'm so happy I got her so early though because this could have taken me another 10 or so attempts. Such a time save.

All I have left to do in the entire game now is:
1. Complete the last few Radiant medals
2. Do the last 4 bindings to get the Weathered Mask (Hallownest)
3. Do each of the 5 Pantheons with All Bindings
4. Let Zote die (final steam achievement).

Number 1. I may do but I think the rest might be too stressful. Perhaps I'll come back some time in the future and go for the Weathered Mask but for now I'm going to give it a break. Zote lives.

Moby

Dick
Nice one. You should hang out with those speed runners and go for that now.

Also Mossbag seems to be doing a lot of Silksong content already and it kinda looks thougher than HK. :lol: it seems to be a bigger world as well. It's a bit weird that it's not linked to the Embrace the Void ending which seemed to be a decent cliff hanger. Maybe there's another sequel where Hornet comes back to Hallownest after finishing up in Pharloom.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Got her.

It was my first real attempt at the complete Pantheon of Hallownest since unlocking Absolute Radiant. It was partly meant to be recon to brush up on all the early bosses I'd been neglecting but it was very smooth sailing throughout and Absolute Radiant went well, with decent rng. A bit tight at the end but I saw the opportunity and took it. I'm so happy I got her so early though because this could have taken me another 10 or so attempts. Such a time save.

Number 1. I may do but I think the rest might be too stressful. Perhaps I'll come back some time in the future and go for the Weathered Mask but for now I'm going to give it a break. Zote lives.
Mate I'm jealous of your gaming abilities. Absolutely well done. I bet there's only a small percentage of people that have killed absolute radiance in the pantheon.

Nice one. You should hang out with those speed runners and go for that now.

Also Mossbag seems to be doing a lot of Silksong content already and it kinda looks thougher than HK. :lol: it seems to be a bigger world as well. It's a bit weird that it's not linked to the Embrace the Void ending which seemed to be a decent cliff hanger. Maybe there's another sequel where Hornet comes back to Hallownest after finishing up in Pharloom.
You gonna be playing it? I just hope it comes out in a few months as I have 3 games that I need to finish first (Luigi's mansion 3, Outlast 1 & 2).

Ainu

Got her.

Mad achievement, well done. Regarding nr 4, I might start a new game just to let Zote die. I don't care about the achievement (I'm not on Steam anyway) but I just want to see that cnut die! :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Mad achievement, well done. Regarding nr 4, I might start a new game just to let Zote die. I don't care about the achievement (I'm not on Steam anyway) but I just want to see that cnut die! :lol:
:lol:

I remember after being him in the trial, I spent like 30 minutes slapping him around.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Cheers all. It's been fun checking back to see everyone's progress. Hopefully more will come after and get through the game too.
I never got round to letting him die in game and thought I would just do it later to tick off the achievement. But now, having been through so much together, it seems more fitting to let him survive. He even helped me bump my health and soul in the final run, when I was struggling a bit going into his fight. I've grown to love the little guy.

I'm going to switch it up now and start Bendy and The Ink Machine and then back for Silksong. I'm so curious to see how it plays.

Ainu

Cheers all. It's been fun checking back to see everyone's progress. Hopefully more will come after and get through the game too.

I never got round to letting him die in game and thought I would just do it later to tick off the achievement. But now, having been through so much together, it seems more fitting to let him survive. He even helped me bump my health and soul in the final run, when I was struggling a bit going into his fight. I've grown to love the little guy.

I'm going to switch it up now and start Bendy and The Ink Machine and then back for Silksong. I'm so curious to see how it plays.
It's my own fault I hate him so much, I once sat through all his 57 precepts. I don't know why I do the things I do.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Never was there a better idea in the history of gaming.

Ainu

Sure it's impressive but I also find it boring to watch. At some point the difficulty becomes senseless.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I do find it annoying when a game puts you through really difficult hoops only to reach something pointless. Spent half an hour traversing narrow spaces to reach out of those cute worm things.

Moby

Dick
I do find it annoying when a game puts you through really difficult hoops only to reach something pointless. Spent half an hour traversing narrow spaces to reach out of those cute worm things.
That contributes to the completion and also gets you some sweet goodies from the grubfather.

Even the guys attempting world record speedruns fighting for every second save the grubs man. Don't be so heartless!

Woodzy

How dare you talk about the grubs like that.

For what it's worth, you can get a map that highlights the location of all the grubs in the game at a certain point. There a couple of things you need to do first which I can't quite remember off the top of my head.

amolbhatia50k

How dare you talk about the grubs like that.

For what it's worth, you can get a map that highlights the location of all the grubs in the game at a certain point. There a couple of things you need to do first which I can't quite remember off the top of my head.
That contributes to the completion and also gets you some sweet goodies from the grubfather.

Even the guys attempting world record speedruns fighting for every second save the grubs man. Don't be so heartless!
They're cute as feck, I'll give them that. Heck, I feel bad attacking some of the "enemies" in this game especially those baloon type things that shoot out the gas. The way they die :lol:

Moby

Dick
They're cute as feck, I'll give them that. Heck, I feel bad attacking some of the "enemies" in this game especially those baloon type things that shoot out the gas. The way they die :lol:
:lol: I generally leave them be. Poor blokes are floating asleep.

The teleporting cnuts in soul sanctum on the other hand..

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
My eternal nemesis at the start was those mushroom cnuts that say "waaaaa" and spin around. I found them so hard at the start. But once I returned with my upgraded nail, I hunted them down and wiped out their bloodline :lol:

After facing all the enemies, these are the worst of the worst. The anti-vacine cnuts of Hallownest.

They are closely followed by the flys that shoot crystals and the bees that shoot out the orange infection.

Woodzy

My eternal nemesis at the start was those mushroom cnuts that say "waaaaa" and spin around. I found them so hard at the start. But once I returned with my upgraded nail, I hunted them down and wiped out their bloodline :lol:

After facing all the enemies, these are the worst of the worst. The anti-vacine cnuts of Hallownest.

They are closely followed by the flys that shoot crystals and the bees that shoot out the orange infection.
I believe you mean these are the worst of the worst.

amolbhatia50k

The waaaa cracks me up though. I just ran into two bosses who both battered me pretty quickly. Now to decide which one to spend half an hour getting thrashed by, this evening.

diarm

I've just got past them. Well not them so much as the prick in the armour upstairs from them. He took me ages and in the end I only beat him by hiding up in the corner of the far wall and bouncing on his head.

amolbhatia50k

Which two?
I think both had the enemies shooting lava in the air. One had a single larger enemy and the other had two (I think) smaller ones on either side.

They're probably not that hard. I just died pathetically to each in my first attempt.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think both had the enemies shooting lava in the air. One had a single larger enemy and the other had two (I think) smaller ones on either side.

They're probably not that hard. I just died pathetically to each in my first attempt.
Sound like Lost Kin and I've other? Maybe I'm wrong...

Ainu

Might be the Brooding Mawlek, which becomes really easy once you can shadow dash through it. Bit trickier without it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Might be the Brooding Mawlek, which becomes really easy once you can shadow dash through it. Bit trickier without it.
Oh yeah him! I missed him early game... Discovered him when I was jacked on PEDs... Was so easy.