Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I stopped at that part. :lol:
Oh mate... It's time you jump back in. Let's suffer together :lol:

You may be thinking "no way" but remember when you were feeling this way during the original game and I convinced you to carry on? It was the best decision you made!

Moby

Dick
Oh mate... It's time you jump back in. Let's suffer together :lol:

You may be thinking "no way" but remember when you were feeling this way during the original game and I convinced you to carry on? It was the best decision you made!
Yeah. I definitely overachieved then ! Let's see. My issue always was that I never used nail arts frequently which is what I'd need to practice.

Ainu

Thanks for that mate.

I've played it 3 times since jumping back in and I'm currently getting to Wave 11 consistently (when the Soul Warrior and Soul Twisters gang up on you).

I know the floor-less part will be difficult but I think I can do it with some attempts.

My current setup is something like:

Unbreakable Strength
Nailmasters Glory
Mark Of Pride
Quick Slash
Thorns Of Agony

Or something like the above. I'll have to try a few variations.

Not sure why but I'm playing it on the Switch handheld mode... I obviously like to make things harder for myself!

Why am I doing this to myself :lol:
Oh wow, that sounds like a nightmare. Please don't do this for Path of Pain! :lol: Edit: unless you're now going to tell me you did Celeste 7-C that way.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah. I definitely overachieved then ! Let's see. My issue always was that I never used nail arts frequently which is what I'd need to practice.
Stop yapping and start practicing... Did you finish Path Of Pain?

Oh wow, that sounds like a nightmare. Please don't do this for Path of Pain! :lol: Edit: unless you're now going to tell me you did Celeste 7-C that way.
I did all of Hollow Knight, Celeste and Cuphead like this :lol:

Ainu

:lol:

Joystick mate :lol:
I actually started out playing Hollow Knight with the joystick but couldn't go back now. Down pogo or accurate upward jumps between vertical swords for Radiance/Absolute Radiance are so much better on dpad for me. I did have to switch to joystick every time I used one of those feathers in Celeste. I guess if you did Celeste with the joystick you should be fine for Path of Pain.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I actually started out playing Hollow Knight with the joystick but couldn't go back now. Down pogo or accurate upward jumps between vertical swords for Radiance/Absolute Radiance are so much better on dpad for me. I did have to switch to joystick every time I used one of those feathers in Celeste. I guess if you did Celeste with the joystick you should be fine for Path of Pain.
I'll let you know how that goes if I ever finish Trial Of Fools. The issue is that I've just moved house so I don't have much time to play... probably a couple of runs per day, which will massively slow things down.

Ainu

Take your time mate, you'll get it before Silksong releases. :D I love following other people's progress on here. What I'd really like is someone to have a genuine attempt at P5 and read about all the struggles along the way. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Take your time mate, you'll get it before Silksong releases. :D I love following other people's progress on here. What I'd really like is someone to have a genuine attempt at P5 and read about all the struggles along the way. :lol:
You sadist.

)_(

Thanks for that mate.

I've played it 3 times since jumping back in and I'm currently getting to Wave 11 consistently (when the Soul Warrior and Soul Twisters gang up on you).

I know the floor-less part will be difficult but I think I can do it with some attempts.

My current setup is something like:

Unbreakable Strength
Nailmasters Glory
Mark Of Pride
Quick Slash
Thorns Of Agony

Or something like the above. I'll have to try a few variations.

Not sure why but I'm playing it on the Switch handheld mode... I obviously like to make things harder for myself!

Why am I doing this to myself :lol:
Would replace thorns of agony with grubsong. If you look at all the big speedrunners they always use nail arts and magic in the third trial. Of course they know exactly where everyone will spawn so that helps. Personally I cheesed my way through the final trial iirc. Think I used a minion build cause I couldn't get through the floorless section and after that(?)I struggled with the different waves of enemies, the mantises, the twisters etc. But a minion build gives you enough soul (with grubsong) to just spam spells. Wonder how well I'd do now that I've sunk many more hours into the game, not enough to try again mind you... but who knows in the future. For now I'm having a good time with randos.

I tried pop a while back but I don't have the patience to sit through it and my hands get f*cked pretty quickly. I can barely get to the first wingsmoulds either... it's funny how easy experienced players make it look but despite being able to do white palace quiet easily now, pop is a whole other beast.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Would replace thorns of agony with grubsong. If you look at all the big speedrunners they always use nail arts and magic in the third trial. Of course they know exactly where everyone will spawn so that helps. Personally I cheesed my way through the final trial iirc. Think I used a minion build cause I couldn't get through the floorless section and after that(?)I struggled with the different waves of enemies, the mantises, the twisters etc. But a minion build gives you enough soul (with grubsong) to just spam spells. Wonder how well I'd do now that I've sunk many more hours into the game, not enough to try again mind you... but who knows in the future. For now I'm having a good time with randos.

I tried pop a while back but I don't have the patience to sit through it and my hands get f*cked pretty quickly. I can barely get to the first wingsmoulds either... it's funny how easy experienced players make it look but despite being able to do white palace quiet easily now, pop is a whole other beast.
Cheers mate. Just had another run and swapped Thorns to Grubsong and instantly got to Wave 14 (when the floor vanishes). I nearly did that whole bit in one go but the battle obbles sparked me out :lol:

I know after them, there's only a couple more enemies before the floor returns...

Gonna give it another run or two tomorrow.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
feck me the end of wave 14 is doing my nut (no floor, 4x obbles). I can consistently get there and then I start panicking.

Ainu

feck me the end of wave 14 is doing my nut (no floor, 4x obbles). I can consistently get there and then I start panicking.
Try to great slash as they spawn and then stay high up. Less chance you'll get hit by stray blobs and it lets you pogo them. These killed me a few times as well. If you do get them, be prepared for more great slashes as you'll get boxed in with a few enemies after that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Try to great slash as they spawn and then stay high up. Less chance you'll get hit by stray blobs and it lets you pogo them. These killed me a few times as well. If you do get them, be prepared for more great slashes as you'll get boxed in with a few enemies after that.
Yeah in my last run I beat them but the next enemy did me in. Will get back to it Monday!

Ainu

If you can get to that point reliably, it should only be a matter of time. The good thing is the whole thing doesn't last too long, around 15 minutes for a full run I think, so probably around 10 minutes if you die on the no-floor section. Which charm setup are you going with now?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
If you can get to that point reliably, it should only be a matter of time. The good thing is the whole thing doesn't last too long, around 15 minutes for a full run I think, so probably around 10 minutes if you die on the no-floor section. Which charm setup are you going with now?
Yeah it never feels a slog.

I'm on: Unbreakable Strength, Mark Of Pride, Quick Slash, Nailmasters Glory & Grubsong.

This is the setup that gets me the furthest most frequently.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
How much of a difference is there between Mark of Pride and Long Nail (or whatever the other one is called) @Ainu ?

Ainu

How much of a difference is there between Mark of Pride and Long Nail (or whatever the other one is called) @Ainu ?
It's something I've wondered myself, whether it's worth the extra notch. I don't have an answer though, since I haven't used it that much. I've done trial of the fool and all the pantheons without either, I guess I always found more use for other stuff. If it helps, I've almost never seen suggested loadouts for the hardest challenges that included Long Nail, but many with Mark of Pride. So clearly a lot of people think there's value in sacrificing another notch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's something I've wondered myself, whether it's worth the extra notch. I don't have an answer though, since I haven't used it that much. I've done trial of the fool and all the pantheons without either, I guess I always found more use for other stuff. If it helps, I've almost never seen suggested loadouts for the hardest challenges that included Long Nail, but many with Mark of Pride. So clearly a lot of people think there's value in sacrificing another notch.
Fair. I'm now stuck between Grubsong and Dreamwielder. I had a run with the latter and at certain points, it lets me fully load up!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just looked online. Apparently, Longnail increases distance by 15% and Mark Of Pride by 25%. Or you can stack them for 40% reach. I might actually try that and see what happens as it could come handy against those Soul Mages!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Finally did it! Trial Of Fools complete!

The minute I beat the floor-less section, I completed the final few waves in one go.

Once God Tamer came out, I pictured him as DT and I face tanked the cnut into submission whilst thinking "no fecking way I'm letting this dickhead make me do that whole thing again" :lol:

I think the key switch up was replacing Grubsong with Dream Wielder.

Mark Of Pride, Quick Slash, Nailmaster's Glory, Unbreakable Strength, Dream Wielder.

What that allowed me to do was save the armoured fool (or mistake) at the end of any wave and use the dream nail to fully heal and stock up soul, essentially allowing me to reset at the end of certain waves.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

@Moby get on it!

Now on to Path Of Pain!

Any tips? What's a good charm setup for it? Also, I know there some bad guys at the end, are they difficult?

Ainu

Finally did it! Trial Of Fools complete!

The minute I beat the floor-less section, I completed the final few waves in one go.

Once God Tamer came out, I pictured him as DT and I face tanked the cnut into submission whilst thinking "no fecking way I'm letting this dickhead make me do that whole thing again" :lol:

I think the key switch up was replacing Grubsong with Dream Wielder.

Mark Of Pride, Quick Slash, Nailmaster's Glory, Unbreakable Strength, Dream Wielder.

What that allowed me to do was save the armoured fool (or mistake) at the end of any wave and use the dream nail to fully heal and stock up soul, essentially allowing me to reset at the end of certain waves.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

@Moby get on it!

Now on to Path Of Pain!

Any tips? What's a good charm setup for it? Also, I know there some bad guys at the end, are they difficult?
Nice one, well done on getting God Tamer in one go, I messed that up the first few times. For Path of Pain I like to use at least Hiveblood in combination with Grubsong. It can be pretty tedious to wait on Hiveblood to refill your damaged mask so with Grubsong you can get away with another quick attempt. If you die before the mask was refilled, you'll have gained some soul for healing, so you should be safe. There's also places where you might take damage without resetting, allowing a second mask of damage. Without Grubsong you'd get in trouble in those cases. If you do have to heal, don't do it immediately, wait until a mask is refilled, otherwise you waste one.

I've seen some people suggest leaving out Hiveblood and using Deep Focus + Grubsong but when I tried it, it was a slow but steady lost battle against soul and eventually I couldn't heal on my last mask anymore, causing a death in the middle of the Path of Pain on the one section where a soul totem was not available. You really don't want that. In fact, you could just use all of them: Hiveblood + Deep Focus + Grubsong. The only problem with that is you'd only have two notches left and you might want something to help you out with the two Kingsmould at the end. Shaman Stone would make your Descending Dark extra powerful and it can hit both Kingsmould. It's probably the safest strategy. Of course on my first go, after a painful +- 8 hours of making progress, I lost to the Kingsmould and had to do it all over again. :lol:

While the platforming in this is different, you did 7c on Celeste so you'll probably find this easier than I did. You also seemed to have less trouble with Trial of the Fool. I'm sure you could do P5 if you wanted. :smirk:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Nice one, well done on getting God Tamer in one go, I messed that up the first few times. For Path of Pain I like to use at least Hiveblood in combination with Grubsong. It can be pretty tedious to wait on Hiveblood to refill your damaged mask so with Grubsong you can get away with another quick attempt. If you die before the mask was refilled, you'll have gained some soul for healing, so you should be safe. There's also places where you might take damage without resetting, allowing a second mask of damage. Without Grubsong you'd get in trouble in those cases. If you do have to heal, don't do it immediately, wait until a mask is refilled, otherwise you waste one.

I've seen some people suggest leaving out Hiveblood and using Deep Focus + Grubsong but when I tried it, it was a slow but steady lost battle against soul and eventually I couldn't heal on my last mask anymore, causing a death in the middle of the Path of Pain on the one section where a soul totem was not available. You really don't want that. In fact, you could just use all of them: Hiveblood + Deep Focus + Grubsong. The only problem with that is you'd only have two notches left and you might want something to help you out with the two Kingsmould at the end. Shaman Stone would make your Descending Dark extra powerful and it can hit both Kingsmould. It's probably the safest strategy. Of course on my first go, after a painful +- 8 hours of making progress, I lost to the Kingsmould and had to do it all over again. :lol:

While the platforming in this is different, you did 7c on Celeste so you'll probably find this easier than I did. You also seemed to have less trouble with Trial of the Fool. I'm sure you could do P5 if you wanted. :smirk:
I remember you coming here a broken man that time :lol:

I might go in with Hiveblood, Grubsong, Unbreakable Strength & Quick Slash. Not sure what the proposed of Deep Focus is? Is it essential?

P5... Absolutely no interest in that! I'm not a fan of boss rush, just don't enjoy it. Even Cuphead had one boss that had this element (King Dice) and it was the part I enjoyed the least. I just don't get any enjoyment from it whatsoever so I'll be skipping that!

I know Celeste has a really difficult DLC stage with like 99 screens so I may attempt that after this.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Heals two masks for the price of one.
Hmm... Not sure I need it with Grubsong and Hiveblood? What do you reckon?

Just realized the hardest bit of this will be stopping my daughter from switching games until I finish it :lol:

Moby

Dick
Hmm... Not sure I need it with Grubsong and Hiveblood? What do you reckon?

Just realized the hardest bit of this will be stopping my daughter from switching games until I finish it :lol:
Yeah hiveblood is enough. Grubsong as well. I'd rather take something like mark of pride to be able to pogo easily and stuff.

Ainu

Deep Focus is not essential if you've got Hiveblood and Grubsong, it just means you can skip the Hiveblood wait several times before healing. With all three you can pretty much go gung-ho and then heal a couple times if you've lost too many masks. I've never used a nail extension charm myself, pogoing from higher up might launch you into spiked ceilings if you're not careful. Some like to use them though. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. If you weren't a pogo master before, you will be after this.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
So coming up to about the halfway point of Path of Pain clocking in at around an hour or so play. I found the first section the most difficult by far, although the rest has been ok so far. I'm sure I'll get stuck sooner or later though.

Pogo on a joystick is frustrating as hell :lol:

Ainu

So coming up to about the halfway point of Path of Pain clocking in at around an hour or so play. I found the first section the most difficult by far, although the rest has been ok so far. I'm sure I'll get stuck sooner or later though.

Pogo on a joystick is frustrating as hell :lol:
That's great progress. The first section is pretty hard yeah. Only the last two are harder in my opinion. The last has a tricky timing section but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
feck!!!!! I finished path of pain and the two guards killed me when I got to the end!!! I'm done. feck this :mad:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ok NOW it's complete. The second run was so much easier. I guess I built up the muscle memory so it wasn't so bad.

Overall, it wasn't as tough as I thought. The first bit and the last bit were the hardest but the last bit is also really fun, timing the spikes especially.

I preferred this to Trial of fools, probably because I am better at platforming but also because Trial of fools wasted around 12 minutes every time I died whereas this was more instant.

Now Hollow Knight is complete for me so I'm going to move onto the Celeste DLC, which hopefully I'll finish by the time Silk Song comes out (i.e. never :lol:)

Thanks @Ainu & the rest here for all the tips and advice.