Homegrown all-time xi club sides.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Imagine a coked up obese Bosnich lining up with some of those greats that have been listed with him, representing the true fan! Brilliant :lol:
For one reason or another we have never been prolific with producing keepers.

Gaskell, Rimmer, Walsh, Bosnich is about it.

Certainly we never saw the best of him but on his day Bosnich was an excellent keeper.

Mr. MUJAC

Just look at some of those teams...

Clearly Ajax and Barcelona have had some great players and their first X1 would take some beating.

At United we have been blessed really...and in terms of quality have had some real depth in each position bar perhaps the keeper.

1. Gaskell/Rimmer/Bosnich/Walsh (2 internationals)
2. Neville/Duxbury/Nicholl/Carey (4 internationals)
3. Aston/Byrne/Albiston/Noble (3 internationals)
4. Stiles/Foulkes/Blanchflower/O'Shea (4 internationals)
5. Brown/Evans/Greenhoff/Pique (4 internationals)
6. Edwards/Whiteside/Giles/Pogba (4 internationals)
7. Best/Beckham/Gillespie/Lingard (4 internationals)
8. Scholes/Fletcher/McIlroy/Whelan (4 internationals)
9. Charlton/Kidd/Givens/Rashford (4 internationals)
10. Viollet/Hughes/Pearson/Morris (4 internationals)
11. Mitten/Pegg/Giggs/Gillespie (4 internationals)

On top of that...2 Ballon D'Or Winners, 3 World Cup Winners, 5 Footballers of Year, 14 European Cup Winners...not bad.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

Clearly Ajax and Barcelona have had some great players and their first X1 would take some beating.

At United we have been blessed really...and in terms of quality have had some real depth in each position bar perhaps the keeper.

On top of that...2 Ballon D'Or Winners, 3 World Cup Winners, 5 Footballers of Year, 14 European Cup Winners...not bad.
Thats incredible. :drool::devil:

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
Celtic could be something like this.

1. Marshall (struggled for a keeper)

2. McGrain
3. Tierney
4. Murdoch
5. Clark

7. Johnstone
6. Murdoch
8. McStay
11. Auld

10. Dalglish
9. Charlie Nicholas

Subs. Crerand, Roy Aitken, Tommy Burns.

8 European Cup winners ain't bad going (Crerand and Dalglish not with Celtic obviously).

Mr. MUJAC

Celtic could be something like this.

1. Marshall (struggled for a keeper)

2. McGrain
3. Tierney
4. Murdoch
5. Clark

7. Johnstone
6. Murdoch
8. McStay
11. Auld

10. Dalglish
9. Charlie Nicholas

Subs. Crerand, Roy Aitken, Tommy Burns.

8 European Cup winners ain't bad going (Crerand and Dalglish not with Celtic obviously).
Could probably add Derek Whyte, Jim Brogan, Peter Grant, Bobby Evans might even get a start.

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
Could probably add Derek Whyte, Jim Brogan, Peter Grant, Bobby Evans might even get a start.
I only went for players I was totally sure about so probably missed a few older ones. Peter Grant is a good shout though.

Not sure Packie Bonner played for the youth teams but he was a hell of a keeper and would be an upgrade on Marshall.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

How good was John Blanchflower compared to his Tottenham brother both were before my time but have read up on Danny more than his brother.

Mr. MUJAC

How good was John Blanchflower compared to his Tottenham brother both were before my time but have read up on Danny more than his brother.
Hard to say without seeing a lot of him. He was good enough to play in two different positions for the Busby Babes...a ball playing centre-half (which was very, very rare) and an inside forward. He scored lots of goals in our youth team as a forward. He obviously played for Northern Ireland as well.

Contemporary reports suggest that Matt Busby wasn't sure where to play him and he may have been a victim of his own versatility.

But with Edwards and Colman outstanding he was never going to get a place at half-back. So, inside forward (against Billy Whelan or Dennis Viollet) or centre-half (Mark Jones) was where he collected most of his appearances.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Hard to say without seeing a lot of him. He was good enough to play in two different positions for the Busby Babes...a ball playing centre-half (which was very, very rare) and an inside forward. He scored lots of goals in our youth team as a forward. He obviously played for Northern Ireland as well.

Contemporary reports suggest that Matt Busby wasn't sure where to play him and he may have been a victim of his own versatility.

But with Edwards and Colman outstanding he was never going to get a place at half-back. So, inside forward (against Billy Whelan or Dennis Viollet) or centre-half (Mark Jones) was where he collected most of his appearances.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Let me try this, it will be hard. I could almost do a starting eleven just with wingers, so many choices :lol:

Sporting all time homegrown

Rui Patrício

Cédric---Beto---Eric Dier---Inácio

Figo---William Carvalho---João Moutinho---Nani

Peyroteo----Ronaldo

Subs: Damas, Carriço, Quaresma, Simão Sabrosa, Futre, Hilário, João Mário

Give it a try @Peyroteo and @SCP

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Let me try this, it will be hard. I could almost do a starting eleven just with wingers, so many choices :lol:

Sporting all time homegrown

Rui Patrício

Cédric---Beto---Eric Dier---Inácio

Figo---William Carvalho---João Moutinho---Nani

Peyroteo----Ronaldo

Subs: Damas, Carriço, Quaresma, Simão Sabrosa, Futre, Hilário, João Mário

Give it a try @Peyroteo and @SCP
Futre has to make it there somewhere imo. Completely unbalanced team but noone cares, we'd arguably have the best attack out of any team in the world :lol:

-----------Rui Patrício---------

Cédric-----Eric Dier------Inácio

-------William---Moutinho----

Figo----------Futre--------Nani

-------Peyroteo--Ronaldo-----

Peyroteo might be cheating though, not sure he'd count as homegrown.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I didn't know that Futre was from Sporting.Good bench

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Corrigan
Manchester City

1. Schmeichel
2. Donachie
3. Pardoe
4. Oakes
5. Booth
6. Caton
7. Barnes
8. Lake
9. Sturridge
10. Hayes
11. Bowles

Subs: Richards, Bowyer, Wagstaffe, White, Clements, Towers, Ranson

Lots of defenders...very few attackers
Neil Young was a fine forward.
Just because Mike Doyle hated United with a passion no need to exclude him ;).
Gary Owen, Paul Power and Andy Hinchcliffe also belong in the squad.
Shaun Wright-Philips, Michael Johnson and Clive Wilson all fine players too.

Last edited:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I didn't know that Futre was from Sporting.Good bench
Yeah he's from our academy. But since in contrast with our academy, we have some of the worst chairmen/directors in football history, we traded him to Porto at young age for a pack of peanuts and some pretzels.

Mr. MUJAC

Corrigan

Neil Young was a fine forward.
Just because Mike Doyle hated United with a passion no need to exclude him ;).
Gary Owen, Paul Power and Andy Hinchcliffe also belong in the squad.
Yep all in with a shout...don't know enough about City to say Doyle was better than Pardoe...or Owen was better than Barnes. Was never a Paul Power fan at all...thought he was terribly overrated. But City fans will know more than me.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Peyroteo might be cheating though, not sure he'd count as homegrown.
Just saw this. It's hard to figure out. He came from Sporting de Luanda and that club was affiliated with Sporting. He was 19 when he came to Lisbon. I can't think of any other Sporting homegrown striker. Perhaps we can put Ronaldo up front and stick Quaresma behind the striker too or something. We clearly need more wingers :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah he's from our academy. But since in contrast with our academy, we have some of the worst chairmen/directors in football history, we traded him to Porto at young age for a pack of peanuts and some pretzels.
That's really a pity.He was one of my favorite players.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Yep all in with a shout...don't know enough about City to say Doyle was better than Pardoe...or Owen was better than Barnes. Was never a Paul Power fan at all...thought he was terribly overrated. But City fans will know more than me.
Paul was a good, workmanlike, late developer.
Started off as left midfielder but tried to fill the hole left by Dennis Tuearts and fans didn't take to him until he moved back to LB when he found his niche.
Left us for Everton when we were shite (don't blame him) and won honours there.
Still a big City fan and regularly attends matches.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That's really a pity.He was one of my favorite players.
How and why? Playing style? He really hates Real Madrid and isn't affraid to show it. He became a bit soft when Mourinho was there and now with Ronaldo but still mentions it from time to time. He's always saying that he's a colchonero for life.

Mr. MUJAC

Just saw this. It's hard to figure out. He came from Sporting de Luanda and that club was affiliated with Sporting. He was 19 when he came to Lisbon. I can't think of any other Sporting homegrown striker. Perhaps we can put Ronaldo up front and stick Quaresma behind the striker too or something. We clearly need more wingers :lol:
I know when you played United in 1964 you had Gomes, Mendez and Babtiste all come through your youth system. Not sure about the wingers Osvaldo da Silva and Geo Carvalho?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I know when you played United in 1964 you had Gomes, Mendez and Babtiste all come through your youth system. Not sure about the wingers Osvaldo da Silva and Geo Carvalho?
That game :lol: That Sporting comeback against United (5-0) in the year we won our only european silverware is in our museum. You can watch the whole match in a telly at our museum. Gomes, Mendes, Batista all came from our academy it's true. Osvaldo, Hilário and Carvalho, i don't think so. I picked more contemporary and international career players since i'm younger, most people in this board can identify them and didn't see those players you mentioned play. But they are without any doubt an integral part of our clubs history since they won us a Cup winners Cup.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
How and why? Playing style? He really hates Real Madrid and isn't affraid to show it. He became a bit soft when Mourinho was there and now with Ronaldo but still mentions it from time to time.
I don't mind if hates Madrid.
His Atlético with Schuster was a nice team.Yes,his playing style, electric,always facing the defense, fast, and with character, always getting into fights.He was very wild

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't mind if hates Madrid.
His Atlético with Schuster was a nice team.Yes,his playing style, electric,always facing the defense, fast, and with character, always getting into fights.He was very wild
Futre was an incredible player. Too bad he had so many injuries in the end. He also had invitations from plenty of european top clubs (could have won more) at his very best but he was too loyal to Jesus Gil y Gil. How can you betray a guy who gave you that iconic yellow porsche? :lol:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
That was peak Sporting. Refused to pay him a higher salary, he goes to Porto and wins 2 leagues and 1 CL in 3 years lol

Futre was Portugal’s version of Maradona, I think he gets pretty underrated and not many people know about him outside of Portugal and Spain.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That was peak Sporting. Refused to pay him a higher salary, he goes to Porto and wins 2 leagues and 1 CL in 3 years lol

Futre was Portugal’s version of Maradona, I think he gets pretty underrated and not many people know about him outside of Portugal and Spain.
He was too loyal to Atlético. He said in plenty of interview that in his prime, he had invites from the best clubs in europe.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
1 - Damas
2 - Hilário
3 - Fernando Mendes
4 - Alexandre Baptista
5 - Beto
6 - Oceano
7 - Figo
8 - Moutinho
9 - Ronaldo
10 - Carlos Xavier
11 - Futre

Maybe some cheating but for me Hilario, Oceano and Xavier are part of the family, no way I put William in front of Oceano until he proves he can play at the same level with 38.

And Futre or Cristiano based on talent because they left with 18.

Schneckerl

Today I learned: Eric Dier is Sporting and Owen Hargreaves is Bayern homegrown

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
1 - Damas
2 - Hilário
3 - Fernando Mendes
4 - Alexandre Baptista
5 - Beto
6 - Oceano
7 - Figo
8 - Moutinho
9 - Ronaldo
10 - Carlos Xavier
11 - Futre

Maybe some cheating but for me Hilario, Oceano and Xavier are part of the family, no way I put William in front of Oceano until he proves he can play at the same level with 38.
I completely forgot Oceano existed, he's definitely above William for now and if the latter continues playing like he's been playing he'll never surpass him.

I'm not old enough to know about some of the others, would most fans agree with you and put Damas above Patricio? I know how highly rated Damas was but Patricio has been playing at a great level for a long time now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I completely forgot Oceano existed, he's definitely above William for now and if the latter continues playing like he's been playing he'll never surpass him.

I'm not old enough to know about some of the others, would most fans agree with you and put Damas above Patricio? I know how highly rated Damas was but Patricio has been playing at a great level for a long time now.
For me Oceano represents all that a non talented player should be, training and working hard and each year improve even knowing you are not the best, playing as defensive midfielder, offensive, fullback or centerback.

I only watched Damas in his last 2 seasons, but there is 1 reason because the older ones say "a baliza do Damas".

It was a different era but Damas was really talented but not so hardworking or nuts as Bento.

If you talk with older fans they will say Damas even if they like Rui.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
1 - Damas
2 - Hilário
3 - Fernando Mendes
4 - Alexandre Baptista
5 - Beto
6 - Oceano
7 - Figo
8 - Moutinho
9 - Ronaldo
10 - Carlos Xavier
11 - Futre

I like that team and it's probably the best homegrown eleven in terms of history and impact but i went with my more contemporary eleven so more people would know and identify players.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I like that team and it's probably the best homegrown eleven in terms of history and impact but i went with my more contemporary eleven so more people would know and identify players.
Yup, Hilario and Oceano deserve because they played a lot of games, Damas and Batista because 1 was respected even by Benfica or Porto fans, and the other won the CWC, regarding Fernando Mendes we even had 2, opted for the 1 who played with Futre in Sporting youth teams, no space for William, Cedric, Cadete or others.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Liverpool

1. Lawrence
2. Byrne
3. Lawler
4. Thompson
5. Carragher
6. Lee
7. Callaghan
8. Gerrard
9. Fowler
10. Owen
11. McManaman

Subs: Smith, Moran, Melia, Fairclough, Evans
Jimmy Case
Billy Liddel

United never give up

United Xi from Fergie/big Ron years

Gary Walsh
Gary Neville
Mike Duxbury
Brown
Hogg
Beckham
Butt
Scholes
Giggs
Hughes
Whiteside

Subs
O’Shea
Evans
Robins
Beardsmore
Darren Fletcher should be starting in that line up (instead of Butt).

The man made it into the PFA team of the year (09/10) ahead of the likes of Scholes, Gerrard, Fabregas etc - Butt never reached those levels.

Fletcher is far too forgotten by our fanbase - a terrific player who, if not for a life altering chronic illness, would have had the better career overall than Carrick

Even if you disagree with Fletcher > Carrick, which is fair enough, you surely have to admit that Fletcher should be in this squad