Television Homeland | Season 5 spoilers

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It was the best series since series 4 but it also highlighted what a big mistake handicapping then killing Quinn was.

youngrell

I think the story wrapped up nicely and I enjoyed the season overall, but the last two episodes felt a little flat for some reason.

It was good to see the pride on Saul's face at the end, though.

AaronRedDevil

Really good ending.
Thought it was going to end with Carrie dying or something. Looking like a traitor. Like The Boss from metal gear solid 3.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Just finished the last episode. I thought overall the season was decent, though some of the twists were a bit too obvious. I thought the ending was true to Carrie's "for the greater good" approach she's been following throughout all seasons.
I think in general the show can be quite proud for having maintained a certain level of writing for 8 seasons.I think few thriller shows can say that, the venture into politics (well aside from the assassination plot in s6) was quite rejuvenating, as it moved the story into a realm bordering on realistic. The Alex Jones homage and the last POTUS with his war hungry advisor in particular seemed on point.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So for everyone who has watched all the season's where would you rank them as top to last?

For me
Season 1
Season 4 (would be top based on the first 11 episodes but a crap finale puts it 2nd)
Season 8
Season 2
Season 5
Season 3
Season 6
Season 7

I enjoyed the top 5 on my list but the bottom 3 were naff. Season 3 was basically a boring all be it necessary transition from the storyline of the first two season's to season 4 in Islamabad and season 6/7 was too Keane centric, during season 7 especially it really looked like they ran out of ideas and I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to fully end things was based on that (I only got into Homeland recently and binged the first 7 season's on Netflix so don't know exactly when they decided that was that).

arnie_ni

So for everyone who has watched all the season's where would you rank them as top to last?

For me
Season 1
Season 4 (would be top based on the first 11 episodes but a crap finale puts it 2nd)
Season 8
Season 2
Season 5
Season 3
Season 6
Season 7

I enjoyed the top 5 on my list but the bottom 3 were naff. Season 3 was basically a boring all be it necessary transition from the storyline of the first two season's to season 4 in Islamabad and season 6/7 was too Keane centric, during season 7 especially it really looked like they ran out of ideas and I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to fully end things was based on that (I only got into Homeland recently and binged the first 7 season's on Netflix so don't know exactly when they decided that was that).
Thought season 5 in Germany was the worst tbh.

Hated all those new characters.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Been watching this recently. Half way through season 3. It’s extremely watchable. It just kind of keeps ticking over very well. Nothing amazingly exciting. Even the big moments almost seem played down, but it keeps things interesting.

Carrie is quite a frustrating character. I found her relationship with Brody a bit unbelievable, but it obviously adds a lot to the story element. She’s always either crying or looking like she’s about to cry, which you wouldn’t exactly expect from such an experienced and hardened CIA agent. I guess you could explain that away with her being pretty unhinged though.

I really liked Saul, but what the flip were those comments about the hijab after the bombing? Seemed incredibly immature of him.

Jessica is probably the best looking person I’ve ever seen. Great actor too. In fact they all are.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was Series 3 when Langley got bombed? If you're waiting for the mole to be identified....it dosen't actually ever happen. :lol: Wonder if a movie version will ever happen. Left things hanging a tiny bit with Carrie ending up in Moscow and still in contact with Saul.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Saul locking that bellend in the conference room :lol:

Carrie continuing being a complete liability and getting shot for it. Saul even knows she helped Brody get out the country. She'd surely be binned off fully by this point.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm half way through season 5 now. What a drag this one is. They've taken everything you cared about and made it either non-existent or annoying, and somehow made a story about Carrie on a kill list boring. Carrie is still crying or having a wobbly bottom lip at absolutely everything.

I enjoyed season 4 though. Even though it was weird going from a 3 season story to something entirely different. It felt right that it was all in a different country, considering it's CIA and all. I also fully expected Saul to get kidnapped at some point so it was nice to be right about that too.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm half way through season 5 now. What a drag this one is. They've taken everything you cared about and made it either non-existent or annoying, and somehow made a story about Carrie on a kill list boring. Carrie is still crying or having a wobbly bottom lip at absolutely everything.

I enjoyed season 4 though. Even though it was weird going from a 3 season story to something entirely different. It felt right that it was all in a different country, considering it's CIA and all. I also fully expected Saul to get kidnapped at some point so it was nice to be right about that too.
The show rights itself in the final few seasons, especially with its prescience.

I won’t say anything more than that, but don’t give up on it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The show rights itself in the final few seasons, especially with its prescience.

I won’t say anything more than that, but don’t give up on it.
Yeah I’ve heard that a few times so gonna crack on. Looking forward to this one being over though

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Wait, they got 8 seasons out of this! Jesus Christ :lol:

:lol: holy shit, this picked up on so much stuff I've thought about it. I want a series of that.

How Carrie kept her job in the CIA despite constantly fecking up to the point of actually falling in love with the terrorist, constantly being over-emotional in the worst two ways (angry and upset), and always going against orders including one time having to actually shoot her to get her to not do the thing, I do not know. I say kept her job, but she was somehow doing work for them despite not actually even working for them and leaving on a terrible note, which is something even a low level employer probably wouldn't be keen on, nevermind the CIA.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Half way through s6 and it’s so much better than 5. Quinn doesn’t half go through some shit!

saivet

Started watching this and not sure what to make of it. I enjoyed season 1 but found season 2 quite frustrating as there just seemed to be a lot of stupidity going on.

Does Carrie get less annoying? Not sure I can take much more of her :lol:

Is there a season I should stop watching at? With my experience of Prison Break, I'd rather call it quits before it gets ridiculous, as I feel this has the potential to get silly.

Zen86

Started watching this and not sure what to make of it. I enjoyed season 1 but found season 2 quite frustrating as there just seemed to be a lot of stupidity going on.

Does Carrie get less annoying? Not sure I can take much more of her :lol:

Is there a season I should stop watching at? With my experience of Prison Break, I'd rather call it quits before it gets ridiculous, as I feel this has the potential to get silly.
It’s worth watching as long as you take it on face value, and not focus too much on the ridiculousness of Carrie’s relationships and general circumstance. On top of that yes, she’s a fecking annoying character for the most part. From memory, some seasons were slow starters but I enjoyed all once I got into them (I think..)

Agent Red

It’s a really good show. I would stick with it. Carrie is annoying but you have to remember her mental illness is quite a big part of her character and she is clearly meant to be quite difficult and annoying, it’s not just something we see as a viewer.

I think it’s a really well written show and it had one of the best finales I can think of, which so many shows fall down on.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think a couple of seasons in the middle were weak, but overall a show worth watching

JoaquinJoaquin

Watched this in Lockdown 1, and really enjoyed it apart from a few of the middle seasons. Definitely recommend it.

cafecillos

I know I'm in the minority here, but didn't find Carrie particularly annoying, I mean, yes, she was, but a character with her mental health is supposed to be, and I'm no expert but I think Claire Danes was fantastic in portraying the constant struggle and desperation of someone like that. I agree that many of the situations she was in and the stuff she was allowed to get away with were outrageous though. I enjoyed most of the show and never even thought of giving up watching it, but nothing compares to the first season; after that and especially after Brody dies/leaves the show, it became a different show altogether, but I thought it was still a decent spy show throughout.

SirAnderson

Carrie is easily one of the most annoying characters in TV history.
I know I'm in the minority here, but didn't find Carrie particularly annoying, I mean, yes, she was, but a character with her mental health is supposed to be, and I'm no expert but I think Claire Danes was fantastic in portraying the constant struggle and desperation of someone like that. I agree that many of the situations she was in and the stuff she was allowed to get away with were outrageous though. I enjoyed most of the show and never even thought of giving up watching it, but nothing compares to the first season; after that and especially after Brody dies/leaves the show, it became a different show altogether, but I thought it was still a decent spy show throughout.
100% feel the same way about her character.
The ending for this was stupid imo.
I felt the same way too.
Her ultimate betrayal of Saul was way to bitter to swallow, and just becoming the new "asset" in Moscow does little for me to undo all the shite she did and did to Saul as well, even though he is to blame for giving her the opportunity to betray him. The special ops team dying, putting Saul through the act of killing him, getting Anna killed, all that didn't justify the end for me, but the series kind of paints it as it was the only option left, which to me is bollocks.

Anyway, all in all still a good series overall, and will have its good moments and other moments that didn't quite do it for me.