Honest question: What are the top 3 clubs you think would buy McTominay if he wanted to move today?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I have nothing at all against this lad, for me he has a place as a squad player which is still a vital role ala John O'Shea or Quinton. Some people seem to think that outside the first 11 everyone else should be run out of the club.
You're seriously comparing this bloke with Sheasy?

Zippycup

Whenever he plays relatively well against a weak team the McT fans come out in full force. Let’s not overrate him please. That said, Eriksen and him complement one another well.
McTominay fans?
You mean fans of Manchester United who like to see the players do well?

Nick7

He played alongside Casemiro, and was doing a bit of a different job throughout the game but I'm certain Casemiro will displace him soon.

I agree, 100%. But Martinez, Eriksen and Malacia all started right away. Casemiro was playing and training with Madrid. For me, it's more about "don't mess with a winning team", and that message with the squad.
Malacia didn’t start the first two games.

Pronewbie

Peep
McTominay fans?
You mean fans of Manchester United who like to see the players do well?
No.
1. The type who go on endless, short-term boom-bust cycles
2. Those who blindly support a player and ignore their obvious deficiencies

I consider myself part of the demographic you mentioned, and balance that with my desire to see United back at the top. I like seeing McT do well too, but am very aware of his limitations and track record over then past couple of seasons. IMO he's a squad player.

CloneMC16

As a #8, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Everton. I think 8/10 teams in the PL would be interested in him.

Lentwood

He hasn't been close to our best player whether you rely on the eye test or stats. He has largely been peripheral and a big reason behind our difficulties to keep the ball when oppositions pushes a bit more. He wasn't close to be our best player againt Southampton and Leicester, he wasn't better than Eriksen in any of these games, he had a couple of remarkable sequences but that's about it.

He definitely doesn't deserve any negative scrutiny at the moment but some of you are pretending that a player with below average defensive contribution for a PL defensive midfielder and a maximum of 34 completed passes per games has been our best player. That's just crazy talk, McTominay has acted as a support player and done a decent job, nothing more, nothing less.
It depends what you appreciate in a player. I think Eriksen has done well but I'd say he has been on the periphary more than McTominay. Absolute class but hasn't had enough of the ball in good areas at times.

Against Southampton and Leicester McTominay won so many 50:50s/loose balls and broke-up play very well. That's what I tend to value in a midfield player. Obviously we want one who can do everything but those are few and far between!

Zen86

It would be ridiculous to sell McT and I don’t think we would even entertain any offers. City have warped the average football fan into thinking every man in the squad needs to be a world beater.

Trequarista10

No.

I consider myself part of the demographic you mentioned, and balance that with my desire to see United back at the top. I like seeing McT do well too, but am very aware of his limitations and track record over then past couple of seasons. IMO he's a squad player.
Honestly, I have never come across any such fan with regards to McTominay.

There are plenty who think he's complete shit. There are many who think he's not good enough for this level even as a squad player (I'm in this category). There are a few who think he's a capable squad player, or hold out hold hope he can become so by wrongly comparing him to Fletcher who was a considerably better footballer. But I've literally never seen anyone blindly support McTominay or rave about him. I've seen a few people not grasp his deficiencies, but I think thats just their lack of understanding of football or general lack of intelligence rather than any particular affection or devotion. The last couple performances the majority of posts have been along the lines of "don't rate the guy but that was a good performance".

If you perceive there to be a small group of "McTominay fans" I would suggest that you're too deeply ingrained in a mind set of tribalism. I don't mean this as an insult at all by the way - it's a natural consequence to the times we live in and it seeps into people's mindsets and everyday thinking. Just might be worth pondering on when you get the chance. Or whatever, I don't care.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Honestly, I have never come across any such fan with regards to McTominay.

There are plenty who think he's complete shit. There are many who think he's not good enough for this level even as a squad player (I'm in this category). There are a few who think he's a capable squad player, or hold out hold hope he can become so by wrongly comparing him to Fletcher who was a considerably better footballer. But I've literally never seen anyone blindly support McTominay or rave about him. I've seen a few people not grasp his deficiencies, but I think thats just their lack of understanding of football or general lack of intelligence rather than any particular affection or devotion. The last couple performances the majority of posts have been along the lines of "don't rate the guy but that was a good performance".

If you perceive there to be a small group of "McTominay fans" I would suggest that you're too deeply ingrained in a mind set of tribalism. I don't mean this as an insult at all by the way - it's a natural consequence to the times we live in and it seeps into people's mindsets and everyday thinking. Just might be worth pondering on when you get the chance. Or whatever, I don't care.
There used to be a few but it's true that today it would be a stretch to talk about fans. To me it's just seems that some are forcing a positive narrative when there is no need for it, he is adequate as a squad player, not someone that should be sold at all cost and not someone that should be relied on at all cost either.

Zippycup

No.

Praising a player for playing well doesn’t make you are blind to the players abilities, it simply means that you are praising a player for playing well.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when that opinion becomes imbalanced through a unadulterated dislike for the player then that opinion becomes invalid. Well, it does for me anyway.

To say that McTominay has fans “blindly following” him is complete and utter nonsense. The very large majority of fans see him as a squad player. I’d go as far as saying that many of those who don’t rate McTominay do so because it’s the popular thing to do, and that they have no real foundation for their dislike. I’d even further and say that many “fans” want him to play badly so they can play the ‘I told you so’ card.
Teams have a big squad for a reason, every player plays their part and it still amazes me that every manager since Mourinho has stuck by McTominay yet we are supposed to believe that he is lower level Premier league or high-level Championship at best. The problem is. When you dislike a player, his weaknesses jump out and his strengths hide. No matter what he does it won’t be good enough

Stacks

He hasn't been close to our best player whether you rely on the eye test or stats. He has largely been peripheral and a big reason behind our difficulties to keep the ball when oppositions pushes a bit more. He wasn't close to be our best player againt Southampton and Leicester, he wasn't better than Eriksen in any of these games, he had a couple of remarkable sequences but that's about it.

He definitely doesn't deserve any negative scrutiny at the moment but some of you are pretending that a player with below average defensive contribution for a PL defensive midfielder and a maximum of 34 completed passes per games has been our best player. That's just crazy talk, McTominay has acted as a support player and done a decent job, nothing more, nothing less.
its insanity. Everything he does is magnified 2-3X by his strongest supporters especially after Leeds matches. The past seasons and games get forgotten super quick

SAFMUTD

Clear candidates would be Everton and West Ham because of their playing style. But I'm sure there be about 5-6 teams interested.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not quite sure about that. By some distance our best player in the EL-final. Was also great in several other big games right before lock down.
I don't really care about individual good games, the important thing is when he puts a good run of form together over the space of at least a month. Something that he has rarely done unfortunately. For instance most people would consider that Leeds match to be his best ever performance, but he literally followed it up in the very next match against Leicester with probably his worst ever performance. A central midfielder, more than any other position other than maybe central defender, needs to show some consistency.

Admittedly the fact that he's broken through at a time where we've had Mourinho and Ole who were blatantly terrible at developing players certainly doesn't help. If he'd had ETH and his coaching staff (who we are all hoping will be far better at this) at a younger age he might be a much better player now. Considering he's almost 26 though it's questionable how much of an improvement he can now make.

Nick7

But Antony starts today and Casemiro doesn't.
Because Antony has played under Ten Hag for a couple of years and knows his tactics and instructions. Not sure what that has to do with Malacia not starting the first two games though.

georgipep

Because Antony has played under Ten Hag for a couple of years and knows his tactics and instructions. Not sure what that has to do with Malacia not starting the first two games though.
It has more to do with McT starting over Casemiro even though both of them haven't played for ETH before.

AndySmith1990

I've been critical of him many times, but fair play he's looking a proper United player. Him and Casemiro in midfield with Eriksen ahead could be pretty tasty

Zen86

He always had potential, he was just a bit lost in that black hole we had in the middle of the pitch.

Jacob

I've been critical of him many times, but fair play he's looking a proper United player. Him and Casemiro in midfield with Eriksen ahead could be pretty tasty
If Scott continues like this, we will for the first have to bench a quality mid. Either Eriksen or Bruno.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I wouldnt sell him at all. I appreciate what he brings to the midfield. Could we do better? Of course but if casemiro gets his spot eventually hes still a great option to have in the squad

Also our managers seem to like him a lot and that has to mean something

Earthmoxie123

He's only on 60k pounds per week? He's a great value squad player! Never sell this lad.

FriedClams

After the last 4 games, the only clubs I would entertain offers from are the 1950s Real Madrid team, the 1970 Brazil team and the Barcelona 1992 USA basketball dream team.

NoLogo

As a #8, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Everton. I think 8/10 teams in the PL would be interested in him.
West Ham was the first team that came to mind for me, I think he also would do really well for them.

That being said I think we shouldn't look into selling him in a hurry. I fully expect Casemiro to replace him as a starter sooner or later but I feel McTerminator is still a good option to have in the squad.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t think Klopp would buy him but at the same time- if he was at the club on his arrival then I believe Klopp would utelise him and coach him as well.

Avero

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern

Kinda funny how quickly some change their minds on our players

sparx99

I will say this: Henderson was similarly maligned by Liverpool fans before Klopp really developed his game. McTominay actually looks like he knows what he’s supposed to be doing at the moment and that helps a lot. He’s at the exact age where midfielders can sometimes take a huge step forward. If he does we save £50-80m. If he doesn’t then we sell him next summer if the year after and upgrade.

I think we do need to contextualise players struggling at time. Forwards, midfielders and defenders by often develop at different rates. Clearly we’ve struggled as a team over the last few years so judging any player individually is really hard.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I will say this: Henderson was similarly maligned by Liverpool fans before Klopp really developed his game. McTominay actually looks like he knows what he’s supposed to be doing at the moment and that helps a lot. He’s at the exact age where midfielders can sometimes take a huge step forward. If he does we save £50-80m. If he doesn’t then we sell him next summer if the year after and upgrade.

I think we do need to contextualise players struggling at time. Forwards, midfielders and defenders by often develop at different rates. Clearly we’ve struggled as a team over the last few years so judging any player individually is really hard.
Certainly, but McTominay has also never had Henderson's passing ability. Which I think has been everyone's issue with him in the first place, he's a pretty poor passer of the ball for a prem standard midfielder. Of course you can mask these things like ETH has by setting him up properly in a team and giving him simple options through spacing where he doesn't have to pick the pass himself and it becomes automatic through certain patterns. Having Bruno and Eriksen in the same side helps as well as Martinez too.

Sir Erik ten Hag

From being not good enough for PL to benching multiple-CL winner Casemiro... You couldn't have made this stuff up. :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Always thought he had the potential but he'd stagnated a lot, like most of our team. If he's not starting he'll be a quality squad player, but obviously his game won't come on as much then.

The Urban Goose

It's not always a case of "who would buy him", every team has players who might not be particularly desirable to other teams but are an important part of that team. See e.g. Henderson & Milner at Liverpool. If he was on their books, every team bar City would use McT in a squad role at least, particularly the way he's playing this season.