Honest question: What are the top 3 clubs you think would buy McTominay if he wanted to move today?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Surprised so many have mentioned Arsenal. Arteta seems to be trying to recreate Man City lite side and I think McT wouldn't fit anywhere near those plans. Newcastle, Everton, Leeds or a promoted side would probably be a good opportunity for him to be close to a guaranteed starter.

I do think a number of sides have as good if not better CMs that he wouldn't necessarily be a guaranteed starter at most PL clubs.
I too am surprised to see Arsenal mentioned. There is a mismatch in terms of style… but also quality. He shouldn’t be starting in midfield for United, he’s not even used in midfield for Scotland. I can see why a club might be biased towards an academy product, but it seems to me that is the only reason he’s at a top club.

Put another way, would United want to buy him if he was at another club?

saivet

Put another way, would United want to buy him if he was at another club?
Probably a less dramatic reaction but it would be closer to how we felt when linked with Longstaff.

It seems like most of our fans aren't keen on Tielamans and I think he is a clearly better player than McT.

Zippycup

I think you only see the benefits of McTominay in a winning side. He is one of those players that doesn't stand out, because of that he gets the blame for problems that aren't his doing.
I can use Liverpool's Henderson as an example. When they won the Champions league in 2019 Henderson was overwhelmingly praised by those within the game for what he brought to the team, many fans outside Anfield laughed at the very suggestion that he could be crowned the Player of the Season. He was. And he deserved it as well. Henderson is vital for Liverpool. Especially in their 18/19 and 19/20 success.

You could easily ask the question. How many top 4 clubs would Henderson get into, I'd bet the answers would be similar to what they are with McTominay

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This seems like a pointless thread other than a fresh thread to bash the guy. Same people from his performance thread repeating the same things.
BTW I dont think he is good enough for us.

Trex

Mctominay has two problems at united.
1. He's a starter.
2. He is used as a defensive midfielder
He excels with more freedom to go forward.
Have him as a squad option utilizing him from time to time in the box to box role and he'll become a cult hero here with his other attributes.
To answer the question though, he'll be an important player in any club below 10th in sides like West Ham, Leicester, Wolves and Brighton he'll have a fighting chance to start.

scottser

he's got a great engine. i could see him easily playing for a good counter-attacking team like leeds, wolves or leicester.

georgipep

This seems like a pointless thread other than a fresh thread to bash the guy. Same people from his performance thread repeating the same things.
BTW I dont think he is good enough for us.
It was never the intentio to bash McT. I'm genuinely curious what people think, since I've heard quite the wide range of answers from people around me (and it is somewhat replicated here as well)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The top 3 clubs are probably better than people think, but that doesn’t mean McTominay is better than we think. There are a few factors here, biggest one being he plays for Manchester United and has played hundreds of times and in big games.

That said, I would expect him to drop down a level if we sold him, but I would then expect him to drop down again to find his true level. Cleverley, for example, was always going to join an Everton/Villa level club if he left us. That didn’t make it his level though. He then dropped down again to Watford, where he has now found his level.

The first move from United isn’t as true a reflection of your level as the second move IMO. Many players keep falling. A few, like Michael Keane, move forward. The United stamp counts for a bit. We shipped a load of dross to Hull a few years back, who were a PL team at the time, but players like James Weir and Will Keane dropped further from there. We are unlikely to sell players with United appearances straight to the Championship, but some of them are genuinely Championship level. Dan James is another who I’ll keep my eye on but I think could easily level out as a Championship player. McTominay will go to Newcastle, West Ham or Everton, but he won’t stay there. They’ll sell him again to worse teams within 3 years.

Maticmaker

Probably not top three, but any of the next six (4-9 )would take him... oh wait we already have.

I think there is more to come from McT. With a better balance in midfield overall and playing to his personal strengths, (energy for box to box) he has maybe a couple of seasons under ETH to show some improvement.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
You could easily ask the question. How many top 4 clubs would Henderson get into, I'd bet the answers would be similar to what they are with McTominay
Which top 4 club would Henderson get into? He captains Liverpool.

I’ve read in this thread (and seen with my own eyes) that McT’s major weakness is receiving the ball under pressure. And that he will surely improve that with coaching.

I would have thought that the ability to receive the ball is fundamental for a midfielder and not something you try to pick up at the age of 25.

Zippycup

Which top 4 club would Henderson get into? He captains Liverpool.

I’ve read in this thread (and seen with my own eyes) that McT’s major weakness is receiving the ball under pressure. And that he will surely improve that with coaching.

I would have thought that the ability to receive the ball is fundamental for a midfielder and not something you try to pick up at the age of 25.
And the season before last McTominay was in the United squad that finished second.

Outside of Liverpool would any current etsy say top 6 team take Henderson. I'd wager the answer would be no.
Why? Because he's not a fashionable player.

When there is no pass on, every player will in the world will struggle when recieving the ball under pressure. It was our lack of movement and teamwork that caused 99%of our problems last season.

georgipep

And the season before last McTominay was in the United squad that finished second.

Outside of Liverpool would any current etsy say top 6 team take Henderson. I'd wager the answer would be no.

When there is no pass on, every player will in the world will struggle when recieving the ball under pressure. It was our lack of movement and teamwork that caused 99%of our problems last season.
Very true, we are painfully static. One of my biggest anger triggers when watching us....

Do you think McT would attract interest from abroad?

Stringer

While Henderson is a bit uninspiring, he is a far better footballer than McTominany who also isn't a victim of United's problems but a factor in causing them. No system can compensate for a midfielder so lacking in technical ability.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Tottenham, West Ham, Juventus.

I reall, really dislike these threads that are just a hidden excuse for fans to bash our own players. Miserable mongrels, its summer.

Dante

Average bang

I reall, really dislike these threads that are just a hidden excuse for fans to bash our own players. Miserable mongrels, its summer.
Yep. The question is anything but honest. It's underhanded as feck.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

I think there is quite a gulf between a player that has captained his side to every trophy it is possible to win and… McTominay. The only reason I’d pass on Henderson for Arsenal is because he’s 32. And even then, I’d be tempted - depending on the fee / salary.

Manchester United shouldn’t have a starting midfielder who isn’t brave enough to collect and distribute the ball. He’s 25. If he hasn’t displayed the required attributes by this point in his career, he’s never going to. There is no shame in being a rotation option at a top club, or making his mark lower down the table.

georgipep

Yep. The question is anything but honest. It's underhanded as feck.
Intention is exactly the opposite. I want to see the full spectrum of opinions on McT as I find him a divisive topic among fans. I strongly believe he is underrated around here and actually very highly regarded among managers. I think he could play in title winning teams with the right team around him, although I doubt he would be a regular starter for any of them.

It all depends on the structure and balance of the team. I doubt he would excel in a patient, calculated possession side, like Guardiola's.

Zippycup

I think there is quite a gulf between a player that has captained his side to every trophy it is possible to win and… McTominay. The only reason I’d pass on Henderson for Arsenal is because he’s 32. And even then, I’d be tempted - depending on the fee / salary.

Manchester United shouldn’t have a starting midfielder who isn’t brave enough to collect and distribute the ball. He’s 25. If he hasn’t displayed the required attributes by this point in his career, he’s never going to. There is no shame in being a rotation option at a top club, or making his mark lower down the table.
Why?
Could Henderson have done that while playing for Manchester United? No.

Because Henderson won more, is he now a better midfielder for Liverpool than Gerrard? No. Not in my opinion anyway.

When Henderson won the 2019 player of the the season award he was mocked and the award was ridiculed by fans far and wide.

By the way, I'm only using Henderson as an example of a player who is unappreciated from those who watch the game but is highly rated by those in it.

However. A teams success can change the perception of how players are viewed by fans.

By the way. Who was he supposed to pass the ball forward to? There was virtually zero movement from the forward players. There was zero tracking back by the wingers. The team was a shambles last season.
Even Zidane would have looked lost in that team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think you only see the benefits of McTominay in a winning side. He is one of those players that doesn't stand out, because of that he gets the blame for problems that aren't his doing.
I can use Liverpool's Henderson as an example. When they won the Champions league in 2019 Henderson was overwhelmingly praised by those within the game for what he brought to the team, many fans outside Anfield laughed at the very suggestion that he could be crowned the Player of the Season. He was. And he deserved it as well. Henderson is vital for Liverpool. Especially in their 18/19 and 19/20 success.

Henderson is, and always has been, a much better player than McTominay. He's better technically, he's got better positioning and movement, he's got better vision, he's a better passer. The fact that Henderson is (or at least used to be) widely considered to not be good enough at most of those aspects to be at a top club, yet is still much better than McTominay at them, is a sad indication on how far off McTominay actually is. Henderson's all-round game (which is better than many used to make out) was good enough that in the right team and system he could become a vital player. McTominay...I struggle to see it.

There was a 6 month period a few years ago where Scott did seem to be developing into a useful player. The hope then was that he'd continue developing, but instead he went backwards and (other than a few games when Rangnick first took over) has never looked like he be able to hack it at the top level. Or even anywhere close to the top, to be honest. ETH will have to work miracles on him as there's just so many things he needs significant improvement on to be good enough. If he was still 23 or so there'd be more hope, but he's almost 26.

Abraxas

I'm not sure the Henderson comparison is that great. Both "underappreciated" - maybe, although there hasn't been a lot to appreciate with McTominay and most of our players so that's a conundrum.

But the biggest difference to me is Henderson is brave, takes the ball and has distribution. No matter what people think of his skill or talent, that is a quality in itself as it allows you to compete in midfield when you have that willingness. Scott doesn't seem to have that ability or confidence and never has. He has always been a slightly peripheral figure unless you can get him running into the opposition box.

At a top club Henderson became a key cog, at a top club McTominay should probably be eased into a more befitting role. It doesn't really matter what clubs Henderson would have got into, the point is he got into a Liverpool side that was very good, nothing else really matters.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Very similar player to Jordan Henderson.

Swap them around and McTominay would look much better with Fabinho behind him and Tiago next to him. Similarly Jordan Henderson would look much worse with Fred and Pogba chasing shadows ahead of him.

Zippycup

Henderson is, and always has been, a much better player than McTominay. He's better technically, he's got better positioning and movement, he's got better vision, he's a better passer. The fact that Henderson is (or at least used to be) widely considered to not be good enough at most of those aspects to be at a top club, yet is still much better than McTominay at them, is a sad indication on how far off McTominay actually is. Henderson's all-round game (which is better than many used to make out) was good enough that in the right team and system he could become a vital player. McTominay...I struggle to see it.

There was a 6 month period a few years ago where Scott did seem to be developing into a useful player. The hope then was that he'd continue developing, but instead he went backwards and (other than a few games when Rangnick first took over) has never looked like he be able to hack it at the top level. Or even anywhere close to the top, to be honest. ETH will have to work miracles on him as there's just so many things he needs significant improvement on to be good enough. If he was still 23 or so there'd be more hope, but he's almost 26.
Let me ask you this question.
If Henderson was in the current Manchester United team do you think his vision, movement and passing would be better than McTominays?

Who exactly was McTominay supposed to pass too? You can only have good vision if somebody actually makes a run. The amount of times I've seen our midfield hold on to the ball for too long or making a sideways/backwards pass because no forward player is making a run made me pull my hair out. And I'm bald.

You also stated that Hendersons overall game is better than many made out. I agree.
What do you think changed? The fact that Liverpool started competing or that Henderson got better? I can assure you it's the former.

You are judging one player based on his ability in a world class team and comparing him to a player who is in a team that is so dysfunctional that I'd question their professionalism.

Is McTominay the answer? Who knows. All I will say is he isn't anywhere near as bad as the majority make out.

Reactions: roonster09

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Similarly Jordan Henderson would look much worse with Fred and Pogba chasing shadows ahead of him.
Absolutely. In a hypothetical scenario where he'd spent the last few seasons playing regularly for United, he'd have been considered a waste of space, deadwood, etc.

ETA He's the very definition of a player who's not good enough to transcend the limitations of a dysfunctional setup. But who can contribute - and considerably - in an otherwise good and functional team.

Idxomer

Very similar player to Jordan Henderson.

Swap them around and McTominay would look much better with Fabinho behind him and Tiago next to him. Similarly Jordan Henderson would look much worse with Fred and Pogba chasing shadows ahead of him.
That's interesting because Fred has been the guy covering McTominay while the latter chasing shadows.

If McTominay were from Liverpool's academy, they would've sold him years ago to Bournemouth for £25m.