Honest question: What are the top 3 clubs you think would buy McTominay if he wanted to move today?

tomaldinho1

I think a lot of clubs would buy him, whether he’d start is another matter. It’s early days with ETH but he’s looked a bit better in my opinion already, he used to have good games in isolation whereas he’s actually been decent (for him) a few on the run now.

As we’ve always said, good squad player, great attitude. We’re clearly looking to upgrade him hence the De Jong saga but we don’t need to sell him.

georgipep

nope. Thought the manager had more sense in terms of who can function in a possession based system. Casemeiro made almost as many passes in his sub appearance
He played alongside Casemiro, and was doing a bit of a different job throughout the game but I'm certain Casemiro will displace him soon.
He's not keeping Casemiro on the bench, Ten Hag has explained why he's not started yet. Literally just joined.

I believe there is a place in this squad for McTominay but he won't be preferred to Casemiro for long
I agree, 100%. But Martinez, Eriksen and Malacia all started right away. Casemiro was playing and training with Madrid. For me, it's more about "don't mess with a winning team", and that message with the squad.

Zed 101

Chelsea - then they would put him out on loan
Barcelona - for £5 million then sell him back to a PL club 6 months later for £50m because he is a Barcelona player now
Man Utd - we will just give him a big fat contract again

Only kidding I like McT think he is a good squad player, just not at this stage good enough to be first 11, McT would have easily been in a SAF squad, difference being there would have been 2 world class players in front of him

Zippycup

McTominay could put in a MOTM performance each week and some United fans would still want rid.
He's a fantastic squad player who will play more games than most

honirelandboy

McTominay could put in a MOTM performance each week and some United fans would still want rid.
He's a fantastic squad player who will play more games than most
Why would United fans want rid if he's getting MOTM each week. His performances are a 5/10 at best every week. He never gets man of the match and is awful in 75% of games. The problem with him is he's just not good enough or consistent enough for a club like Man United.

Zippycup

Why would United fans want rid if he's getting MOTM each week. His performances are a 5/10 at best every week. He never gets man of the match and is awful in 75% of games. The problem with him is he's just not good enough or consistent enough for a club like Man United.
Because football fans are stubborn and blindly see what they want to see.
Just like your post in regards to McTominay being awful in 75% of games which is utter nonsense.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I dont rate him that highly but this is simply not true. He was poor last season but was so was everyone. There was a time under Ole when he was quite good and we actually missed him when he got injured. His last 2 performances have been quite good.

Boondog

I'm impressed by how well he's taking to EtH. Going into this season he wasn't one of the players I figured would be improved most by the new manager. But clearly he is busting his ass and we are starting to see real improvement on the pitch. Hope it continues.

honirelandboy

I dont rate him that highly but this is simply not true. He was poor last season but was so was everyone. There was a time under Ole when he was quite good and we actually missed him when he got injured. His last 2 performances have been quite good.
Whatever way people try to phrase it he is no where near good enough to be a starter for Manchester United, never mind a squad player if we are planning on challenging again for the league or champions league.

Stacks

He's a very coachable player, think someone like Howe would be great for him. But overall, happy with how he's doing under Ten Hag.
That's why every manager he's played under has played him a lot.
So what would you say he has improved at with the coaching received and under whose instructions would you say he excelled?

NoPace

Burnley
West Ham
Everton
Burnley are too fancy now, but West Ham would make a lot of sense. Moyes seems not to rate the club's new signing of Downes and they're running Soucek into the ground. McT could back him and Rice up.

Reyoji-Utd

Alot of clubs will be in for him. Hes got very good physical strenght, attitude and good enough technique.

He is a good player and thats why we see our past managers have him and still play him. I think hes a good player but the way we played before are not good for him. Most midfielders in the most teams are specific to their roles but in Utd we seemed to want all of our MF to play all the roles in every match and thats create holes and we saw what happened to our midfield past season.

Im glad that we bought Casemiro and another like FDJ that can resist the press with a turn (maybe try and mould Iqbal) and make them play to their roles and well see better play overall.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm impressed by how well he's taking to EtH. Going into this season he wasn't one of the players I figured would be improved most by the new manager. But clearly he is busting his ass and we are starting to see real improvement on the pitch. Hope it continues.
McTominay seems to have a tendency to do well for a new manager. One of his best periods of form for us IMO was for the first month after Rangnick took over, and his earlier performances under Ole were better than his later ones.

The issue is that those previous periods of good form haven't lasted long at all. It lasted about a month for Rangnick, before falling away and being terrible for the remainder of the year. He's stepped it up again under ETH, although even that I find is being over-stated as in each of his last three matches he's played very well for 50% of the match but struggled in the other 50%. Actually to be fair against Southampton it was more a 60/40 split as he did play well again for the final 10 minutes. But it's still clearly better than he has performed throughout most of his time here, so hopefully he can continue to improve further and also do it more consistently than he ever has before.

lysglimt

Scout
He has arguably been one of our best players in the last 3 games - not as good as Varane and Martinez, but probably the best apart from those 2. Of course he is not awful in 75% of the games - that is just a stupid thing to write.

Pronewbie

Peep
Whenever he plays relatively well against a weak team the McT fans come out in full force. Let’s not overrate him please. That said, Eriksen and him complement one another well.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
One of his best periods of form for us IMO was for the first month after Rangnick took over, and his earlier performances under Ole were better than his later ones.
All the players, the team, was awful in the later stages. That is usually why it becomes «the later stage».

I think the hate McTominay gets from the fanbase is way over the top and quite similar to Fletcher (and even Carrick) at some point. Difference was, they played in a great team.

jeepers

Whenever he plays relatively well against a weak team the McT fans come out in full force. Let’s not overrate him please. That said, Eriksen and him complement one another well.
Wait till we play Leeds.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
All the players, the team, was awful in the later stages. That is usually why it becomes «the later stage».
I'm not talking just at the end though. Under Rangnick he was good for 1 month then terrible for about 5. Most of the others only really went to shit for the final 2-3 months, so Scott was one of the first to fall away. Under Ole his best form was the final month or two of 18/19 and the first month or two of 19/20, so his drop off happened while the rest of the team were still playing quite well.

fps

West Ham, Everton, Leicester would all jump at him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He has arguably been one of our best players in the last 3 games - not as good as Varane and Martinez, but probably the best apart from those 2. Of course he is not awful in 75% of the games - that is just a stupid thing to write.
It would be very difficult to argue. There is at least Dalot, Malacia, Eriksen and Bruno between him and Varanez( :angel: ).

I dont really get why people are overrating pedestrian performances, he has been in the underwhelming bunch alongside Sancho and Rashford.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'm not talking just at the end though. Under Rangnick he was good for 1 month then terrible for about 5. Most of the others only really went to shit for the final 2-3 months, so Scott was one of the first to fall away. Under Ole his best form was the final month or two of 18/19 and the first month or two of 19/20, so his drop off happened while the rest of the team were still playing quite well.
Not quite sure about that. By some distance our best player in the EL-final. Was also great in several other big games right before lock down.

artur6789

He would be acing in Polish Ekstraklasa TOP 3 Teams.

Scott was supposed to be a stop-gap, in a 5-back line under Jose. I bet it was because Jones, Baily, and Rojo were injured. After 2 decades of watching United, I would put him alongside Darron Gibson. Limited players, should be never close to the starting eleven of our club. That is if we are not abandoning the winning part of our DNA.

Other than than, I really like him, and I wish he was simply a better player.

Lentwood

Realistically any team outside the established top six would be starting him week in, week out for sure.

We keep covering this but these midfielders that people rave about like Tielemans, McGinn and Neves are very average but they play in average sides, so that's fine.

I wouldn't be keen to take any of those over McTominay, even though he has some pretty severe limitations at the very top level.

cyril C

Perhaps Chelsea?
West ham seemed to want him.
Yes Chelsea, as they are short on local players. Even City might be tempted but they already have Philips who is much better with the ball.

Do not underestimate McTom's contribution on aerial defence, if you have to choose 1 between Maguire or McTom, Mctom wins because he can contribute in other areas.

Lentwood

It would be very difficult to argue. There is at least Dalot, Malacia, Eriksen and Bruno between him and Varanez( :angel: ).

I dont really get why people are overrating pedestrian performances, he has been in the underwhelming bunch alongside Sancho and Rashford.
Fernandes has been his usual frustrating self. I don't think we can say he's been one of our 'best performers' so far. He's done OK.

Varane has been outstanding this season. Poor last season but already a huge improvement this...probably benefitting from better defensive structure and the team dropping ten yards deeper.

Martinez likewise has benefitted from the team dropping ten yards and from better protection in-front. We saw against Brighton that he struggled when asked to play high and on the front-foot (as most defenders do in disorganised teams) but has shown himself to be a good, aggressive defender since we changed to a slightly more conservative style.

Malacia I feel is benefitting from 'new signing goodwill'. I love his aggression and his attitude and he's largely done OK but I don't think we need to get carried away. There's some raw talent there but has a long way to go to be considered an elite fullback.

Dalot likewise is benefitting from the 'not being quite as terrible as usual' and 'the team are winning' factor. He's done OK but again, we don't need to get carried away. As expectations shift again and people demand slightly more than grinding out wins against bottom-half teams the old frustrations will return.

I'd say McTominay was absolutely awful, vile even, against Brighton. I didn't see the Brentford game but then he was probably our best player overall against Southampton and Leicester. So on balance, probably has been one of our 'better' players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fernandes has been his usual frustrating self. I don't think we can say he's been one of our 'best performers' so far. He's done OK.

Varane has been outstanding this season. Poor last season but already a huge improvement this...probably benefitting from better defensive structure and the team dropping ten yards deeper.

Martinez likewise has benefitted from the team dropping ten yards and from better protection in-front. We saw against Brighton that he struggled when asked to play high and on the front-foot (as most defenders do in disorganised teams) but has shown himself to be a good, aggressive defender since we changed to a slightly more conservative style.

Malacia I feel is benefitting from 'new signing goodwill'. I love his aggression and his attitude and he's largely done OK but I don't think we need to get carried away. There's some raw talent there but has a long way to go to be considered an elite fullback.

Dalot likewise is benefitting from the 'not being quite as terrible as usual' and 'the team are winning' factor. He's done OK but again, we don't need to get carried away. As expectations shift again and people demand slightly more than grinding out wins against bottom-half teams the old frustrations will return.

I'd say McTominay was absolutely awful, vile even, against Brighton. I didn't see the Brentford game but then he was probably our best player overall against Southampton and Leicester. So on balance, probably has been one of our 'better' players.
He hasn't been close to our best player whether you rely on the eye test or stats. He has largely been peripheral and a big reason behind our difficulties to keep the ball when oppositions pushes a bit more. He wasn't close to be our best player againt Southampton and Leicester, he wasn't better than Eriksen in any of these games, he had a couple of remarkable sequences but that's about it.

He definitely doesn't deserve any negative scrutiny at the moment but some of you are pretending that a player with below average defensive contribution for a PL defensive midfielder and a maximum of 34 completed passes per games has been our best player. That's just crazy talk, McTominay has acted as a support player and done a decent job, nothing more, nothing less.