Film Horror Films

djdhrubs

Yeah agree Sinister was good. That lawnmower (shudder) however I was very disappointed by the 2and
I saw that with my wife and also my mum. I thought it was very creepy too. But then we had a conversation that went like this:

My mum: Where has that child gone now?
Me: He's with Bughuul.
My mum: Why?
Me: So he can feed on her soul.

And we all burst out laughing.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I will check out Platform. Martyrs does have shock elements but it is the only film I have seen that still makes me uncomfortable when I think about it. It is definitely horror in my opinion. It has a similar feel as The Wailing I think in discomfort
You seen the French film 'Inside'?

I watched that and Martyrs back to back. Then I went to the shower crying and have never been the same since.

United Hobbit

I saw that with my wife and also my mum. I thought it was very creepy too. But then we had a conversation that went like this:

My mum: Where has that child gone now?
Me: He's with Bughuul.
My mum: Why?
Me: So he can feed on her soul.

And we all burst out laughing.
Sounds like how my boyfriend has ruined Final Destination for me- he started laughing at the deaths I now cant take any of them seriously!

djdhrubs

Sounds like how my boyfriend has ruined Final Destination for me- he started laughing at the deaths I now cant take any of them seriously!
Haha. You've just reminded me of a very good horror movie. Kill List. I suppose I wasn't very scared watching it but definitely made me intrigued and uncomfortable. And when I saw it with my cousin he kept laughing at inappropriate times. Luckily it was my second time watching it so it didn't ruin it for me but it was very odd.

Another good English horror movie: Black Death.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You seen the French film 'Inside'?

I watched that and Martyrs back to back. Then I went to the shower crying and have never been the same since.
Both are amazing incredible films, Inside really got me but Martyrs, I have only forced myself to watch it three times, it's so so powerful.
Really changed the way I viewed cinema and films.
Probably my favourite horror film ever.
Haute tension is well worth a watch too, bit slasherish but great watch nonetheless.

evil_geko

I am a huge horror fan but I haven't seen a horror film with great atmosphere for a long time. I gave up even giving horror movies a chance last few years because it was all the same bollocks. Just jump scares and gore, no attempt on actually building a great atmosphere. So if there are any recommendations on some recent horror films that actually do that, I am all ears!

My top 3 favorite movies of all time are: Alien, Aliens and Carpenter's The Thing.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
More of a chiller than a horror but freaked me out as a kid. Probably terrible now as I think it was a TV movie but they did do a remake a few years ago (which I haven’t seen).

lsd

The Oracle
I think it's hard to do a proper horror film now . Most of the modern horrors are gore fests which are not scary or the dumb paranormal lost footage ones that are not scary.

Is there really a large enough audience now for the classic horror films of the 70s for example?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Gonna show my age and admit I've seen everything on this list except the last one. Really like everything on this list. What are the best horror films in this vein in the last 5-6 years? I saw Babadook which is a fine film but not that scary. Some of the movies listed above in this thread like Saw, Wrong Turn and the modern Hills Have Eyes are also fun/ exciting films but not scary IMO. Scream and Drag me to Hell are both good horrors because although there are lots of laughs to be had, they scare you when they want to.
Have you seen The Witch?

Sweet Square

Yeah great film will have to rewatch it at some point.
Yep, I also might rewatch it soon.
Oh right. It's such a brilliant film, I remember randomly finding it on channel 4 at like 2 in the morning(Channel 4 used to be brilliant for finding odd low budget films). Also one of the very few good werewolf movies.

The director also made The Descent a few years later.

United Hobbit

Going to try the 1970s Wickerman in a moment and have added the Borderlands to the list as well

Has anyone seen children of the corn if so is it good? On the list above it says theres a remake is that good?

Sweet Square

Dario Argento - Opera is a very weird film and the weirdness does make it at times quite tense.

80's Remake of The Blob is worth a watch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Both are amazing incredible films, Inside really got me but Martyrs, I have only forced myself to watch it three times, it's so so powerful.
Really changed the way I viewed cinema and films.
Probably my favourite horror film ever.
Haute tension is well worth a watch too, bit slasherish but great watch nonetheless.
I liked Haute Tension until the ending, which was beyond stupid. Taking of French horror, your seen Cache? Not very scary but is very unsettling...

Sweet Square

Recent Suspiria remake is pretty great actually.
The original suspiria is one of my favourite films of all time(The Goblin soundtrack :drool:)so I was slightly hesitant about the remake also I was put off by the trailer but I have heard nothing but brilliant things about it.

Really need to get around to watching it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The original suspiria is one of my favourite films of all time(The Goblin soundtrack :drool:)so I was slightly hesitant about the remake also I was put off by the trailer but I have heard nothing but brilliant things about it.

Really need to get around to watching it.
I preferred the remake

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1918140/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

I've been ranting about this director for a few years now. Best horror director i've seen in years, though they're not very traditional.
The Endless is the easiest to sell people on, its just a great, creepy, interesting movie. Its kind of a sequel to Resolution which is quite low budget, indie type deal but you dont need to watch it to enjoy the endless. Its just a couple of easter eggs really. You'd probably enjoy Resolution more if you watched it before the endless though and its very good too.
Spring is more of a romance with horror elements to make it weird and pretty funny. His newest movie After Midnight wasn't great and i'd skip.
Thanks for this. Had never heard of him, will probably check out the first 3 you mention.
I found Hereditary to be the last scariest film I've seen. Loved it.
Wasn't a huge fan of the ending of Hereditary, Midsommar was a much more accomplished film. Strange, but wonderful.
Recent Suspiria remake is pretty great actually.
It really is, one of my favourite films of these past few years. Been meaning to rewatch actually.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I liked Haute Tension until the ending, which was beyond stupid. Taking of French horror, your seen Cache? Not very scary but is very unsettling...
Yeah, the ending was pretty silly.
Seen Cache and thought it was excellent, really though provoking stuff, reminded me a bit of David Lynch films in its atmosphere.
Frontiers is another French film worth a watch, usual sort of slasher fare but very well done with a lot of hidden depth in there.

Sweet Square

I have seen 'I Spit on your Grave'and 'Faces of Death' years ago and they were quite gruesome. Some of those films on the wiki page you posted seem pretty unsettling and close to the bone with actual animal cruelty amongst other things.
Weird fact(I'm pretty sure this true)the only two movies to show a live animal getting killed are Apocalypse Now(The buffalo scene)and Charlie's and the chocolate factory(Boat scene).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Weird fact(I'm pretty sure this true)the only two movies to show a live animal getting killed are Apocalypse Now(The buffalo scene)and Charlie's and the chocolate factory(Boat scene).
What about Cannibal Holocaust? I'm pretty sure there's a live animal killing in that...

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Cannibal Holocaust has a turtle scene that I've read about. Haven't seen the movie but a friend had and in his words, "DON'T EVER WATCH THAT MOVIE!"

Sweet Square

What about Cannibal Holocaust? I'm pretty sure there's a live animal killing in that...
Cannibal Holocaust has a turtle scene that I've read about. Haven't seen the movie but a friend had and in his words, "DON'T EVER WATCH THAT MOVIE!"
Well thanks now my one interesting movie fact is ruined

Apparently they killed a ton of animals

Although six animal deaths appear onscreen, seven animals were killed for the production, as the scene depicting the monkey's death was shot twice, resulting in the death of two monkeys. Both of the animals were eaten by indigenous cast members, who consider monkey brains a delicacy.[10] The animals that were killed onscreen were:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_Holocaust

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's gruesome but the worst part is that it's truly shit. I thought the fact live animals were killed onset was an urban myth, but the stuff posted above suggests it was true.