Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

)_(

Went in not expecting much but I actually might've enjoyed that episode more than the previous one. Obviously episode 1 had some more impactful moments that get people talking but I enjoyed characters simply talking to each other (or failing at talking to each other like Viserys and Rhaenyra). It also sets up some things going forward, with Daemon and Corlys but more importantly this marriage and continuing the family line business where Viserys manages to piss of both his daughter and the most wealthy family in the realm, that's obviously gonna have some repurcussions most importantly with Rhaenyra and Alicent. That's what I really missed in the latter seasons of thrones, people having conversations that weren't the writers trying to get Peter Dinklage his emmy or Daenerys girlbossing or whatever.

Promo for next week, pretty huge spoilers I'd say.

Last edited:

siw2007

Another really solid episode. You can start to see who is aligning with who and the political motivations that drive them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What I don't get is why he'd risk throwing the whole kingdom into uproar, just because he wants to bang the hands daughter.

She was up for it anyway, and surely as the king you could get that sorted if you really wanted.

Now he's going to have some sort of civil war because he chose the wrong bride to marry. He's certainly not the smartest.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What I don't get is why he'd risk throwing the whole kingdom into uproar, just because he wants to bang the hands daughter.

She was up for it anyway, and surely as the king you could get that sorted if you really wanted.

Now he's going to have some sort of civil war because he chose the wrong bride to marry. He's certainly not the smartest.
His character has the same flaws as Rob Stark. He's sentimental, he means well, but he does not have the pragmatic ruthlessness necessary to be King in a world like Westeros. He's also lived and ruled during a relative calm period so he hasn't been tempered in steel so much.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
No, it's brilliant they used the same theme song. It's iconic and not using it would be daft.

This clown needs to get some better takes that don't suck.

Adam-Utd

His character has the same flaws as Rob Stark. He's sentimental, he means well, but he does not have the pragmatic ruthlessness necessary to be King in a world like Westeros. He's also lived and ruled during a relative calm period so he hasn't been tempered in steel so much.
Indeed, seems like with all the warnings he's like "oh well, what's the worst that can happen"

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

i think its more about Laena being 12

Adam-Utd

i think its more about Laena being 12
Did that really stop them back then? she said she wouldn't sleep with him until she was 14 if that helps :/

It clearly wasn't a marriage out of love anyway, I don't think they were unusual in king/queen times

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Didn't enjoy Ep2 as much as the first one but definitely sticking with it. It's going to get juicy.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I feel viserys thinks he doesn't have a great deal of time left tbh, he's got a few weird wounds and stuff which are being treat as best they can. Maybe he thinks waiting an extra couple years he may not get another child?

It's all a bit iffy if he truly wants his daughter to be heir anyway, no need to bang so could just marry Laena and not worry about having kids anyway.

Don't think much of Corlys? anyway, think he thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Did that really stop them back then? she said she wouldn't sleep with him until she was 14 if that helps :/

It clearly wasn't a marriage out of love anyway, I don't think they were unusual in king/queen times
The walk and talk they had for me tells that Vyseris thinks the girls is too young. 12 years old. Even for westeroo standard that's too much i think.

Plus Otto daughter is portrayed as having a genuine interaction with him. At least i can see him being more comfortable

Plus at the end of the day it's plot driving. The movie would end if he married Laena

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Not really a fan of them reusing the theme song.

If they were gonna reuse music, they should've used the Targaryen theme or a variation of it...

Adam-Utd

The walk and talk they had for me tells that Vyseris thinks the girls is too young. 12 years old. Even for westeroo standard that's too much i think.

Plus Otto daughter is portrayed as having a genuine interaction with him. At least i can see him being more comfortable

Plus at the end of the day it's plot driving. The movie would end if he married Laena
oh yeah he’s definitely into the hands daughter and she seems keen on him too. it’s a more natural fit but clearly not the correct choice. Shit has hit the fan.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Not really a fan of them reusing the theme song.

If they were gonna reuse music, they should've used the Targaryen theme or a variation of it...

No way. That doesn't have a distinct, iconic sound at all. It's like the movie theme analysis that gets posted periodically about why Marvel movies don't have memorable music.

Game of Thrones has a truly iconic theme, as instantly recognizable as Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, James Bond, a rare accomplishment and the pinnacle of film/TV scoring. I get an endorphin rush just hearing the opening notes. They would have been morons to not use the GoT theme song in this show. This was a no-brainer decision really.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The subreddit for this has already gone to shit, the same posts worded different for some upvotes. Everyone wanking themselves silly like theyve never seen a dragon before, and of course the "will people stop misunderstanding this" then explain something incorrectly, all the while, no post ever said the opposite of this made up scenario anyway.

Gandalf

I absolutely love Matt Smith and I am bored to tears with Daemon already. If this show is going to have the legs to run multiple seasons like its predecessor they are going to have come up with something much more than a 2 dimensional villainous younger brother archetype. There is time for them to address this and I am hopeful that they are going to pull out a twist or two over the next few episodes but right now this is very much the YA version of GOT.

Fully Fledged

I liked that episode. I'm not happy that
oh yeah he’s definitely into the hands daughter and she seems keen on him too. it’s a more natural fit but clearly not the correct choice. Shit has hit the fan.
She not in to him. You actually see her self harming in this episode when she is having to lead him on. Her father even comments on her self mutilation.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I absolutely love Matt Smith and I am bored to tears with Daemon already. If this show is going to have the legs to run multiple seasons like its predecessor they are going to have come up with something much more than a 2 dimensional villainous younger brother archetype. There is time for them to address this and I am hopeful that they are going to pull out a twist or two over the next few episodes but right now this is very much the YA version of GOT.
I thought they were gonna go for something different at the end when Corlys was scheming with him. Like have Daemon rebuff him or even kill him for going against his brother. Like "I can do it. You can't."

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Wasn’t bothered by the pregnancy scene or dudes getting their heads bashed in the 1st episode, but anytime the Hand’s daughter does the thing with her fingernails makes me uncomfortable :nervous:

Fully Fledged

Wasn’t bothered by the pregnancy scene or dudes getting their heads bashed in the 1st episode, but anytime the Hand’s daughter does the thing with her fingernails makes me uncomfortable :nervous:
Yeah the self harming is uncomfortable especially when you think it's as result of something her father is forcing her to do.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
This show is a watered down version of GOT.

Everything looks so cheap. Even simple things like the view from a castle's window, looks some CGI from a shitty video game.

Never mind the costumes. The soldiers are wearing plastic armors? Yet to hear a single metal clanging while the armored guards walk around.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
She not in to him. You actually see her self harming in this episode when she is having to lead him on. Her father even comments on her self mutilation.
Yeah my partner showed me some meme earlier about how she's secretly delighted/ smiling on the inside about the marriage announcement at the small council meeting and I was surprised people felt that way due to the selfharming etc.

I thought it was quite obvious she was being forced into it by her father (who is visibly happy with the announcement) and she's been uncomfortable with it since the beginning.

On a side note it annoyed me when the Hand went alone to confront Daemon and seemed to be shocked/surprised when the Dragon arrived.

Literally the first thing I thought when the Hand suggested he would go was "But what about the Dragon? You don't have one?"

mu4c_20le

On a side note it annoyed me when the Hand went alone to confront Daemon and seemed to be shocked/surprised when the Dragon arrived.

Literally the first thing I thought when the Hand suggested he would go was "But what about the Dragon? You don't have one?"
He was already shook when Daemon and his men drew their swords, because he did not expect things to go so far. The dragon was just the icing on the cake and sealed the deal.

Fully Fledged

Yeah my partner showed me some meme earlier about how she's secretly delighted/ smiling on the inside about the marriage announcement at the small council meeting and I was surprised people felt that way due to the selfharming etc.

I thought it was quite obvious she was being forced into it by her father (who is visibly happy with the announcement) and she's been uncomfortable with it since the beginning.

Yeah Otto is a detestable character. I think he will be outmatched once he loses the backing of the King.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The dragon was just the icing on the cake and sealed the deal.
But the deal is sealed before it even begins because one has a Dragon and the other doesn't.

You dont bring a knife to a gun fight.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The princess is a better leader than the king. Feels like he's going to lose control & with his health, not sure how much longer he has.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The princess is a better leader than the king. Feels like he's going to lose control & with his health, not sure how much longer he has.
Are they all injuries he is picking up from sitting on the throne? He pricked his finger on it in episode one and it's practically hanging off 6 months later.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The princess is a great young actress. Shame about the time jump.

enjoying it so far. Otto is a good character, as is the King. Matt Smith is still the weak link.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Too predictable. Both the marriage "plot twist" and the disgruntled bloke joining forces with the brother.

The show has a kind of smugness to it. It's why this show (so far) and the last couple of seasons of GoT were inferior to other shows in the genre like Vikings and Witcher. They don't take themselves too seriously and know what they are.

The scene where the princess is urged to pray to her mother was impressive acting.

A lot of good shows are starting back up this week, so I'll shelf this one for now.

Personally loving this. Reminds me of S1 GOT scheming and political struggle. I am a huge A Song of Ice and Fire nerd though, so I am biased.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Slow first half of the episode I thought, but the second half was really good. The actress who plays Rhaenyra is excellent. She and matt smith are the best things about the show so far, which is not to denigrate the rest of the show, but they do stand out.

And I guess that they weren't kidding about that girl being a little young, hey? :nervous:

I got to say though, the decision from Viserys was a catastrophically bad one. Yes, it's a fecked-up situation, no doubt, but to put everything at risk just seemed a little insane, to be honest. I'm just not sure if you would make that decision and risk the kingdom. Just seemed a dumb choice.

Oh, and that scene on the bridge with the dragons was superb.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

This show is a watered down version of GOT.

Everything looks so cheap. Even simple things like the view from a castle's window, looks some CGI from a shitty video game.

Never mind the costumes. The soldiers are wearing plastic armors? Yet to hear a single metal clanging while the armored guards walk around.
:lol:

Reiver

A solid episode, enjoyed it more than the first one. Really liked Rhaenyra's entrance at Dragonstone, seeing the clouds move like water. Agree with others, she's a very good actress.
I've enjoyed the snippets we get about Old Valyria. The bit in the first episode about some kind of prophecy about the Targaryens saving the world from a threat to the North - I'd like to know whose idea that was and what GRRMs thoughts are about it. I don't think it's mentioned in Fire and Blood ?