How ‘Happy’ is this current squad?

AFC NimbleThumb

I keep reading, as a fact, that the squad is ‘happier’ now than under its predecessor but honestly how much do people really think things have changed? I don’t doubt that things have improved since the dark days of Jose but where are we really?

VdB literally can’t get off the bench.

Bailly signed a contract then can’t get in ahead of the ghost of Maguire.

Telles is watching Shaw regress before all our eyes.

Lindelof is only in because Varane is out.

Pogba’s 15 minute cameo said it all

Ronaldo is already marching off the pitch muttering under his breath.

Cavani was convinced to stay despite rumours he was homesick & now can only play from the bench because Ronaldo ‘has to’ start.

Sancho has already been dropped like a bad habit.

Henderson was convinced to sign a new contract & is now behind a refocused DdG.

Lingard has gone from having the best 5 months he’s had in years back to the bench being harassed by the crowd.

I see a number of content players; AWB, Shaw, Maguire, McTom, Fred who know in spite of performances the manager can’t/won’t drop them but I stopped seeing joy in our performances some time ago.

Are we in a position again where if/when changes are made we need someone else who’ll need to play up to this current squads egos? Have we put squad ‘happiness’ on some pedestal because of how bad things got under Jose?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There has been whispers since 2019 that players aren't happy with McKennas coaching, and that it belongs in the academy. Solskjaer is a likeable man and therefore there is a higher level of tolerance because the atmosphere isn't toxic.

The squad is probably happier as a collective, but not as individuals.

The way we’ve played this season, every bit as depressed as under Mourinho. Martial feels as bad, Pogba is half out the door, DVB wants to rip his hair out, Ronaldo is wondering what the feck he has done, Hendo wishes he’d never signed that fecking contract etc.

The only saving graces some of these disciples had left, in that “the club and players are happier despite less success” has been well and truly ripped to shreds this season. We’ve been horrendous in spells of every single game bar Leeds.

Korwas

There is also Martial who scored 17 goals in the league 2 years ago. Since then we've brought in 3 players (Ronaldo, Sancho and Cavani) that are playing instead of him so he can't be very happy either.

TheGame

There are about 9 players competing for the front 3 positions which is ridiculous. No one seems to be rotate with Bruno when there are options. This is because we have not got rid of players when we have brought others and then given contracts to players when they have no chance of playing e.g Mata. The squad is a bloated mess which is the result of a disastrous transfer and squad management policy. This is then impacting the game time our youngsters get because there is no space on the subs bench for them.

izec

Not many are happy IMO. The ones that are, are Ole‘s favourites that dont get dropped i.e. AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McTominay and Greenwood. Jones as well for the nice contract, as well as Mata and Grant. The rest doesnt get game time or are winners.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There is also Martial who scored 17 goals in the league 2 years ago. Since then we've brought in 3 players (Ronaldo, Sancho and Cavani) that are playing instead of him so he can't be very happy either.
Go to bed Anthony x

Abraxas

It seems a bit of a redundant question after the start to the season we have had culminating in today's result. How could the squad be "happy" after today? If they are anything but totally distraught and keen to resolve things then we've bigger problems than we even imagined.

The fact is if you go on a run of performances and results like we have then even a squad that was previously content is going to fracture. We've had some new faces, a particularly big character in Ronaldo coming in, we've got Pogba hanging around both in and out, Martial sulking around the pitch and now jettisoned. Of course there are fault lines, they can be covered when you're winning but as soon as you're not then everything comes to a head.

CloneMC16

Bailly should have no complaints. He signed a new contract when he already wasn't playing. He is stupid if he thought he was going to get more game time. Henderson was given games last season. He was conceding goals as much as De Gea was. He would have started the season if he didn't get COVID. He can't ask to play ahead of De Gea at this point. De Gea has been in great form this season. Lingard chose to stay. We already have loads of attackers. If he's stupid enough to believe he would start with the other players we have in this squad, he can't be helped.

I highly doubt any of the squad are happy. We're losing and playing awfully. None of them will be happy to see this. Of course the players that don't start every game will want a change more than the players that do start. Those players starting on the bench will highly likely still be there when Ole is replaced. The only two that might start more often are VDB and Pogba.

Foxbatt

I don't think the top players are happy. They certainly know the limitations of the coaching staff. Players look for the manager to sort out coaching issues and tactics. They know that it's not working at all and we are getting spanked. Guts and desire is not enough to win matches against top quality opposition. This team individually has enough quality to compete with the top teams McFred or not.

Robbie Boy

It's just one of these stupid baseless things that's used to praise Ole. Then you can't refute it because it's hard to offer viable evidence to the contrary.

I've said it before; the metrics to judge Ole - as a Manchester United manager - are fecking bizarre.

wolvored

How can any player there be happy, apart from the mega money they are getting, I wont say earning, there. There is malaise at the club that turns good players into poor ones.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think we had a great team spirit last year and against Leeds. Squad really seemed together. Something has changed. Carragher hinted at it when he asked Neville what’s changed since last year. Our squad is also far too big meaning lots of players are likely pissed off.

hobbers

No such thing as a happy squad that's losing games like we have all season.

The squad will be in total disharmony and they will all have their private thoughts about the coaching staff.

AFC NimbleThumb

It's just one of these stupid baseless things that's used to praise Ole. Then you can't refute it because it's hard to offer viable evidence to the contrary.

I've said it before; the metrics to judge Ole - as a Manchester United manager - are fecking bizarre.
This is what I was hoping someone would raise. The need to judge him on intangible things says it all for me.

Paul_Scholes18

How can any player there be happy, apart from the mega money they are getting, I wont say earning, there. There is malaise at the club that turns good players into poor ones.
That one is Ole. He is just an awful manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Happiness and mentality is overrated. We should be focusing on excellence and being a well organised and efficient bunch.

Obviously you don't want to be a mess like we were under Jose but I'd argue that if he was delivering in terms of putting together a well oiled machine, we wouldn't be unhappy in the first place.

BootsyCollins

When your dropped because the team is winning and the players in front of you are playing well, you take it and work harder. Win win for everyone.

When you get dropped and the team is losing and the players in front of you playing poorly and you still dont get the chance, you get irritated and work less. Loose loose for everyone.

Godfather

I'm sure they are all well chuffed about our situation. Especially the likes of Sancho who's turned from one of the hottest prospects out there to a bench warmer in a football team without system or proper manager. All within one single transfer.