How about chaning the name of the ground ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackofalltrades

I once read an article that suggested we change the name of the ground to :

THE

SIR MATT BUSBY
and
SIR ALEX FERGUSON

STADIUM
AT

OLD TRAFFORD

Given SAF's recent health problem it might be a good time to think about it. I think it does a good job of payin homage to our two reat managers and keeps the words Old Trafford for easy use and therby maintaining the traditional name. Should the Glazers want to sell the naming rights, which I wouldn't rule out somewhere down the line, the extra name could be incorporated without chaging the rest.

What do you think ?

dove

Aaaaaaand it's live from The Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson stadium at Old Trafford. No thanks.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson stadium at Chevrolet Old Trafford sponsored by Snickers - Get Some Nuts! located near Gary’s Pub, Home of the original Kitten Mittens.

Rolls off the tongue quite well.

promisedlanchiao

Definitely not your proposed name as it is way too long, and the timing is way off anyway along with Old Trafford being such an iconic name.

Maybe in about 50 years or so we could name it either Sir Alex Ferguson Stadium or Sir Matt Busby Stadium, just like Madrid did with Santiago Bernabeu (seismic figure in United’s history may I add). I would rather we just stick to paying tribute to these legends by naming stands after them and building massive statues of them outside Old Trafford and Carrington rather than change our iconic stadium’s name though.

witchtrials

Aaaaaaand it's live from The Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson stadium at Old Trafford. No thanks.
I think it's supposed to accomodate sponsors so it'd be live from Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson's Gillette Fusion Proglide Stadium at Old Trafford.

edit: just read Mr Pigeon's post

Anustart89

Thought this was going to be a thread about incorporating Old Trafford into our chants.

vangagal

Old Trafford should always be Old Trafford. You cant choose between Sir Matt and Sir Alex. Both equally important for this club but Old Trafford has been there since 10's. It survived 2 WW. Basically Old Trafford has been here for entire United history will continue to do so. Statues and tribune names should adequete enough for honoring both of them.

klsv

Also to consider:
Best Stadium near the Railroad
Robson - Bryan's Not Bobby's Though Stadium
Giggs's Ball Hall

I'd also suggest Pool to change theirs to
The Salah Oh Mane Mane and Bobby Firmino Arena at Anfield Road

Chipper

Adulterer.
In fairness everyone would still call it Old Trafford even with that name change so it wouldn't affect much. Suppose it could just be some offical name change rather than one that is ever particularly used as it's just too long. The question then is what's the point or is worth it? Some might say it was.

It's also changing and messing with tradition. I think I'm against it overall but it wouldn't be so bad if nobody actually ever called it that and stuck to Old Trafford.

Now to be silly:
The Double Knight Ground?
Two Sir Stadium?

If the stadium is at Old Trafford rather than the stadium being Old Trafford then where is the stadium now? Before anyone starts I'm, aware that Old Trafford is a place, I'm born and raised just down the road but the name would referring to the ground and specific site of it rather than the place otherwise it would be IN Old Trafford? The whole 'at' things sounds very American to me too, probably because of the way they do their sports fixtures with 'at' instead of 'vs'.

jackofalltrades

In fairness everyone would still call it Old Trafford even with that name change so it wouldn't affect much. Suppose it could just be some offical name change rather than one that is ever particularly used as it's just too long. The question then is what's the point or is worth it? Some might say it was.

It's also changing and messing with tradition. I think I'm against it overall but it wouldn't be so bad if nobody actually ever called it that and stuck to Old Trafford.

Now to be silly:
The Double Knight Ground?
Two Sir Stadium?

If the stadium is at Old Trafford rather than the stadium being Old Trafford then where is the stadium now? Before anyone starts I'm, aware that Old Trafford is a place, I'm born and raised just down the road but the name would referring to the ground and specific site of it rather than the place otherwise it would be IN Old Trafford? The whole 'at' things sounds very American to me too, probably because of the way they do their sports fixtures with 'at' instead of 'vs'.
Exactly. For fun some might call it the Knights' stadium especially to wind up Scousers, after all, how many other clubs have got one knighted manager let alone two ?

Ryan Bobson

Just stick with Old Trafford and ditch that god awful cringe worthy "Theater of Dreams" reference

binary bot
Once the stadium name is changed to a club legend, it’ll be more difficult to change it to anything else.

Old Trafford represents more of an asset(not that I think they’ll ever cash in).

JK-27

Old Trafford and always Old Trafford. However, 'Theatre of Dreams' has not been a good tag for a good few years now, not the way we play football these days.

MUFC OK

Always will be OT, or soon to be the Chevrolet Superdome, reconstructed to show a chevron shape from a birds eye view.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
How about you change your name to Shirley, or change your sex even though you still feel like a man? Pointless questions right, just as yours is, it should never ever be renamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.