How bad is top-flight football going to be in 5 years?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Newcastle aren't just rich but they're owned by a group that the UK government want to keep happy. There's no way that they won't be overlooked if any dodgy shite goes on with their club. They're going to be a problem that won't go away. I don't think United, Chelsea and City have to worry about them because of how much money they have. Liverpool don't because of Klopp but when he leaves they need to be worried if they don't replace him well. The biggest losers are going to be Arsenal and Spurs which makes Arsenal missing out on CL this year even worse.

It's already bad to an extent though. City winning 4 out of the last 5 titles is wank.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I have said some silly stuff in the past and thought, what the feck did I mean with that...so just for a laugh, please explain how China purchasing West Ham means they have a leverage in Europe and why would China want leverage in Europe in the first place as they have way more bigger things on their mind (and I'm assuming you mean UEFA, not EU)
Because it provides them access to politicians and lobbyists. As far as I know, the group behind City already has a few ex majors, etc on their payroll and stuff like that.

IceManFtw

Looking forward to Abu Dhabi vs Saudi Arabia title races in the coming years :(

GinobiliTheGOAT

Might have been the case before, but more and more star players are now signing for english clubs (or oil clubs)

Haaland. Sancho. mbappe. havertz etc.
Lewa to Barca, havertz isn’t a superstar and Sancho was because Madrid or Barca didn’t go for him

DevilRed

Lewa to Barca, havertz isn’t a superstar and Sancho was because Madrid or Barca didn’t go for him
lewa? On a free? Could easily say nobody else from the prem is in for him. Not to mention Barcelona might need to sell another of their big names to fund the transfer.

Telsim

Money will win in the end. It is inevitable.

City have shown what a lot of money and a sense of direction can do. You can have as much of the latter as you want, but if you are outclassed in the former you will eventually get outlasted as well. They have stumbled, but they can afford to bide their time and eventually get it right. Clubs like them, PSG and Newcastle can keep it going indefinitely. Madrid are also supported by the government. None of them rely on delivering to stay competitive.

An ordinary club can keep the ball rolling only for so long. Clubs like ours, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will eventually fall by the wayside. We spend a lot ourselves, but the longer we stay irrelevant the less money will come our way. It's already happening as revenue has plateaued and other teams have caught up.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Money will win in the end. It is inevitable.

City have shown what a lot of money and a sense of direction can do. You can have as much of the latter as you want, but if you are outclassed in the former you will eventually get outlasted as well. They have stumbled, but they can afford to bide their time and eventually get it right. Clubs like them, PSG and Newcastle can keep it going indefinitely. Madrid are also supported by the government. None of them rely on delivering to stay competitive.

An ordinary club can keep the ball rolling only for so long. Clubs like ours, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will eventually fall by the wayside. We spend a lot ourselves, but the longer we stay irrelevant the less money will come our way. It's already happening as revenue has plateaued and other teams have caught up.
Back the manager is only way. I still felt you missed the opportunity to sign Conte. I think ETH not bad either. Time only will say. Hope he will bring that competitive edge to your squad.

If he achieved that then from there you can win things by developing squad by adding one or two sure shot signings.

Josep Dowling

Said before it’s only a matter of time before the State owned clubs dominate and it’s slowly happening. In history the wealthiest clubs have always been the most successful.

My main issue and concern is other clubs trying to compete and putting themselves into financial difficulties. Barcelona are in a mess, Real weren’t much better but have found sponsorship deals left, right and centre. United’s recent finances look appalling. Opposing fans will says that’s the clubs being irresponsible but they’re trying to meet fan demand, and pressure from sponsors (main source of income) to stay competitive.

I’ve gone right off football in recent years. This is partly down to the demise of United but to see the State clubs starting to take hold, the media lauding Pep and would rather mock United than do some proper journalism around City’s finances, it’s getting boring. They spent £100m on a subsistute, were willing to spend £150m on Kane and now got Haaland for ‘just’ £63m. Competing against that is very difficult and kudos to Klopp for being able to.

GinobiliTheGOAT

lewa? On a free? Could easily say nobody else from the prem is in for him. Not to mention Barcelona might need to sell another of their big names to fund the transfer.
chelsea won’t have a lot to spend depending on new ownership, Liverpool are a brilliant team but signing superstars for the wages they currently demand isn’t their thing, United are the worst they have been in 60 years and don’t have CL football, and that only leaves city who seem pretty set but like psg they have a lot of money to throw.

Barca will need to sort out salaries but dembele, Griezmann and coutinho are all off the books this summer and Lewa is a top 2 player in the world if not top 3. Barca and Madrid will still be worst 2 of the top 4 teams most players that are world class would like to come to