How big of a club is Tottenham Hotspur?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I mean some Spurs fans on this forum would have you believe Spurs are as big a draw as United. It's delusional. I mean they're not even the biggest club in London. Arsenal, Chelsea are both bigger clubs.

Where do Spurs fans get their shit from? I want to smoke some of it.

You have more money than Spurs, but not much else going forward. And you under-estimate what Pochettino has at Spurs: a pool of young, talented players with squad coherence and continuity, the opportunity to establish a dynasty, a training centre that's the equal of any in the world, a London base, a fantastic new stadium (soon) and the knowledge that with the new stadium will come an increased budget for player wages and net transfer spend.

el3mel

Midtable club having one of their best generations who will soon leave when big clubs knock on the door with higher wages and more money, then they will return to finish 6th at best again.

They can even finish 5th this season anyway.

Gee Male

A club with seemingly no value placed on actually winning anything.

James Peril

A club on par with Everton, Aston Villa and Newcastle - currently best out of that lot, but things change quickly over five years.

Paxi

Does this have any relevance, apart from fans waving their dicks at each other?
It's deluded running your mouth off about how United has only money going for them and not much else. I mean, that's as bad as it gets.

Dolf

Midtable club having one of their best generations whol will soon leave when big clubs knock on the door with higher wages and more money, then they will return to finish 6th at best again.

They can even finish 5th this season anyway.
This.
They have a good squad of young talented players right now but you can't become a big club in only a few years. It's about both history and future and i don't think Spurs have either of those.

AshRK

Football like any other sports is a cycle. Manchester United will always remain a big draw, yes we are floundering but we have performed better than spurs this season.

Tottenham are a strong side and honestly they must be appreciated with the way they have performed in last some seasons. I may be over rating them but the way their team plays with passion and enthusiasm with core British players reminds me of us under sir Alex. They may not be the biggest side in London but surely they have played some graceful football.

Bole Top

I wouldn't event say they are as big and significant as Everton and Villa, just more succesful at the moment.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
6th biggest club, but having a great period and could even overtake Arsenal if they keep Poch and reinvest well the inevitable transfer fees for Kane and Alli.

Drawfull

This.
They have a good squad of young talented players right now but you can't become a big club in only a few years. It's about both history and future and i don't think Spurs have either of those.
Come on, that's insane. The have 130 years plus history, multiple FA / League cup wins and have won the league a few times. You can't dismiss where they are now based upon that. If anything they're due a bit of resurgence and are playing in a way that suggests it's at least possible.

There biggest problem is the current wage structure, the fact that Poch is yet to really prove himself and they're awfully indisciplined which puts me off their football and I'm sure many others too.

el3mel

Come on, that's insane. The have 130 years plus history, multiple FA / League cup wins and have won the league a few times. You can't dismiss where they are now based upon that. If anything they're due a bit of resurgence and are playing in a way that suggests it's at least possible.

There biggest problem is the current wage structure, the fact that Poch is yet to really prove himself and they're awfully indisciplined which puts me off their football and I'm sure many others too.
Last I checked, Sunderland won the league more than them.

Andersons Dietician

I mean some Spurs fans on this forum would have you believe Spurs are as big a draw as United. It's delusional. I mean they're not even the biggest club in London. Arsenal, Chelsea are both bigger clubs.

Where do Spurs fans get their shit from? I want to smoke some of it.
That bit you’ve quoted there is some truth in it. United are too big and take in too much money to not be relevant. However Spurs do look like a team on the up, in a good moment with a lot of things going for them when we look to be standing still and being left behind a little. However until they start winning leagues and trophies and doing well in Europe they will always be seen as a lesser team. They are however heading in the righ directionbut are playing a dangerous game with those war restrictions.

Irrational.

In terms of their new stadium, probably one of the biggest. Overall, not so much - despite what the Spurs fans on here would like you to believe.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
  1. United
  2. Pool
  3. Arsenal
  4. Chelsea
  5. Spurs/City/Everton
  6. Leeds/Villa/Newcastle
5 and 6 are interchangeable depending on their current success. City wouldn't even be in the list if not for their oil money which will probably continuously push them up the list now.

Paxi

That bit you’ve quoted there is some truth in it. United are too big and take in too much money to not be relevant. However Spurs do look like a team on the up, in a good moment with a lot of things going for them when we look to be standing still and being left behind a little. However until they start winning leagues and trophies and doing well in Europe they will always be seen as a lesser team. They are however heading in the righ directionbut are playing a dangerous game with those war restrictions.

I agree that Spurs in a good position currently but the fact is - there is 5 other teams that are all bigger in the same division. Teams like Everton and their fans would argue they also have a bigger stature in the game than Spurs. Finishing 3/4 times in top 4 doesn't change that. I'm not trying to put down what they did but lets have some perspective.

Chelsea have been our biggest rival in terms of trophies in the past 15 years but I'd argue we're still a bigger club than them.

Liverpool have 1 trophy in the last decade. Haven't won the league in quarter century. They're bigger club than Spurs and will be for some time.

Heck, I'm a United fan but if I was offered to play for either of those clubs I wouldn't think twice choosing Liverpool.

Drawfull

Last I checked, Sunderland won the league more than them.
I'm sure a few clubs have more, too, but Sunderland haven't won anything of note (part from promotions since they keep getting relegated) in 80 years. Tottenham have always been well-supported, had some form of success and now look to be in a strong position. We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them or we could look foolish in short shrift the way things are going.

The Swellhead

Not an elite club but are a big club trying to become an elite club.

Have a good history too, as said above in the same bracket as Everton and Aston Villa as in brilliant in their hay day but that was a long time ago.

Amount of shit they get too because the clickbait media use them as easy target, one player has a good game and it's 'whens he off to Real' sold 2 players to them, like us with Beckham and Ronaldo.

Admire what they do and the only reason they get hate on hear is because of Glaston, to be fair some of the stuff spouted on here by our fans is ridiculous, after the Southampton game fans saying 'crisis', far from it, people need to get real we will never dominate like we did under Sir AF

Some people can't handle that and they are the ones who started following football because we were successful, that's why alot more fans on here seem to say 'I hate football' alot more than when we dominated, funny that, because were not winning everything you don't like it, like children really.

Change title to Glaston half talks some guff

IrishRedDevil

Their size is refelected in the wages they pay.

They done well to get players locked into long term Contracts on low wages, but as money continues to spiral out of control in football, their wage structure is going to lead them down a dangerous path. Danny Rose was the first to speak up, but this point will brew to a boiling point in the next couple of years. If they don’t start paying the big wages they will remain an average sized club.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Their size is refelected in the wages they pay.

They done well to get players locked into long term Contracts on low wages, but as money continues to spiral out of control in football, their wage structure is going to lead them down a dangerous path. Danny Rose was the first to speak up, but this point will brew to a boiling point in the next couple of years. If they don’t start paying the big wages they will remain an average sized club.
So Man City and Chelsea have been bigger clubs than us in the last decade, up until recently?

A club's size isn't reflected by the money they have.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I'm sure a few clubs have more, too, but Sunderland haven't won anything of note (part from promotions since they keep getting relegated) in 80 years. Tottenham have always been well-supported, had some form of success and now look to be in a strong position. We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them or we could look foolish in short shrift the way things are going.
It's not like spurs has been winnings loads either though.

IrishRedDevil

So Man City and Chelsea have been bigger clubs than us in the last decade, up until recently?

Read the rest of my post for context.

Spurs pay the wages of an average sized club and it will catch up with them in the long term, thus restricting them from growth and trophies.

Big Clubs are willing to pay their big stars over £200k per week, meanwhile Harry Kane is on £120k per week. It won’t last long term as per comments from Danny Rose.

Skills

Snitch
6th biggest club, but having a great period and could even overtake Arsenal if they keep Poch and reinvest well the inevitable transfer fees for Kane and Alli.
Arsenal are a much much bigger club than Totenham. Arsenal should easily be the second biggest club in the country, even with the way their under-performing they're at worst the 3rd biggest.

Paxi

Id say its United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Spurs.

Skills

Snitch

I don't think either of those clubs ever paid more wages than us at the top end. Rio was the highest paid player in the PL even when Abramovic was spending bucketloads, then it was Ronaldo, then Rooney & now Pogba.

Drawfull

It's not like spurs has been winnings loads either though.
Ay, you're right, for some reason I thought their recent 'successes' were more recent to be honest. I still think they can't be discounted though. I mean Newcastle are shite, but to say they're not a big club (in the context of England) would also be a little blinkered, for example.

If it's true about Levy loosening the purse strings once they've finished their stadium and they've still got their strongest players by then the could become a real force. I'd be very surprised if Kane leaves within the next 2-3 years.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal are a much much bigger club than Totenham. Arsenal should easily be the second biggest club in the country, even with the way their under-performing they're at worst the 3rd biggest.
They've been off the pace for a lot of years now. Sure they can point to the stadium rebuild and suchlike, but that's becoming history now and there's still no signs of recovery. In fact they may be about to lose their best 2 players and what remains is pretty awful. There's only so long you can call a club big if they aren't even challenging (or even appearing to try to challenge) for the title.

Skills

Snitch
They've been off the pace for a lot of years now. Sure they can point to the stadium rebuild and suchlike, but that's becoming history now and there's still no signs of recovery. In fact they may be about to lose their best 2 players and what remains is pretty awful. There's only so long you can call a club big if they aren't even challenging for the title.
Off the pace but in the last 4 years they've still managed to win more trophies than Totenham have in the last 25 years. Spurs are having a golden generation and Arsenal have still won more, they haven't got a hope of overtaking them.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Historically, the likes of Leeds are way ahead of Spurs which is why historical models don't really work. You could also add Forest.

el3mel

Best thing Spurs have won in the past 18 years I believe was the league cup. The likes of Wigan, Swansea and Birmingham have won similar number of trophies to them these past years IIRC.