How close is Aguero to Henry/Shearer?

arnie_ni

The only player to come close to Henry's peak in terms of all round performance was Suarez in 13/14. He was simply insane then.
You ignoring Ronaldos balon dor season or what? That was the best one season performance, salah wasn't that far behind either in fairness

tonnas

For me it's:
1 Henry
2 Shearer
3 Aguero
4 Ruud
5 Rooney (remember he played most of his peak years not as a pure striker, the only season he did (I think in 2010), he scored around 35 goals in all competitions before he got injured.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
You ignoring Ronaldos balon dor season or what? That was the best one season performance, salah wasn't that far behind either in fairness
All round. Goals + assists. Ronaldo had a great goal scoring season but didn't get as many assists as Suarez.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think he'd be rated close to Shearer if he was English...Shearer maybe just edging it in terms of presence on the pitch.

He's never had a sustained period where he's been the best player in the league and close to best in the world like Henry had.

He's been a bit unlucky in that he always seems to pick up injuries slightly too much to be THE standout player or striker over a season.

tomaldinho1

Depends on how old you are, I caught the tail end of Shearer's peak but remember Henry as untouchable.

In fairness to Aguero, he has to be part of the equation although I still think Henry is probably the best striker I've ever seen.

Jib

Very close to Shearer.
Henry was more than a top scorer, for me he was the best player to ever grace the premier league.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Are we talking top level or career legacy? If top level, surely Owen has a place in the conversation as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Are we talking top level or career legacy? If top level, surely Owen has a place in the conversation as well.
Never got 20 goals in a PL season which is a bit of a stain I think. It’s such a basic benchmark for top strikers, but I think the best he managed was 19 once.

I think Persie is underrated however. I think he was the best striker in the PL for a while, long before he joined us. His injuries I think affected people’s opinion. Obviously he had one real great season at Arsenal where he stayed fit and took the piss, but even the season before that - he was class. He was basically injured until January, and in half a season he very nearly finished top scorer. He scored in every game in all competitions except two or three I think. Then even before that, he was always injured but whenever he was fit, even for a few months at a time, he was getting goals, spectacular ones too, consistently. Like when he went to Stamford Bridge and scored two great goals and won the game for Arsenal, scored the winner at the Etihad etc. Definitely my favourite to watch, he was Bergkamp and Aguero rolled into one.

KanieKaned

Shearer was the ultimate finisher, Henry was the ultimate all round attacking player. Aguero is closer to Shearer I think than to Henry because he seems a natural finisher, no way he has the all round ability peak Henry had.

This. If I was to do a 1,2 and 3 it would be a follows.

Henry - All rounder and absolute world class in every department
Shearer - A goal machine who could boss defenders
Aguero - A goal machine but it comes in spurts and just can't do those things Henry and Shearer could.

Ashley R1+O

Ruud getting no love here at all, blasphemy. On Aguero I don't think he's the same kind of striker, he's a poacher and keg-style bully boy. Shearer and Henry both played with length and grace in the open field and could do everything that is all-round when asked of them. I don't feel the same way as I do with Aguero in the open field, or as a danger in the box.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ruud getting no love here at all, blasphemy. On Aguero I don't think he's the same kind of striker, he's a poacher and keg-style bully boy. Shearer and Henry both played with length and grace in the open field and could do everything that is all-round when asked of them. I don't feel the same way as I do with Aguero in the open field, or as a danger in the box.
Think he’s far more than a poacher. Anywhere within 25 yards of goal he’s a fecking frightening nuisance who I wish would just feck off to Real Madrid. He’s so aggressive and relentless in his pursuit of goals, and he can get a shot off from various angles and circumstances.

Does he not have the best goals/games ratio in PL history? As great as he is, I think he’s a bit underrated.

Ashley R1+O

Think he’s far more than a poacher. Anywhere within 25 yards of goal he’s a fecking frightening nuisance who I wish would just feck off to Real Madrid. He’s so aggressive and relentless in his pursuit of goals, and he can get a shot off from various angles and circumstances.
I think he is as well when you put into context how football is in his era. I was just comparing him to Henry and Shearer, who had grace and influence on the game in all aspects and all facets, more the complete striker. Way different era's, agree he's an absolute nightmare and his ability fits this league perfectly. Power in an attacking player in this era comes in how wide, strong and fast they are (stupid way to describe it I know). Power in Henry/Shearer era was more about how big/strong/fast you were. Size was rewarded in this power sphere, but it is no detriment to Aguero's game.

clarkydaz

Does he not have the best goals/games ratio in PL history? As great as he is, I think he’s a bit underrated.
I think he us under rated as he plays for city. Even in that suarez season Aguero was right there with him hitting blistering form, but then bows out to injury when in beast mode

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I'd take both him & Henry above Shearer, and Henry/Aguero is pretty close. Aguero is for me, at the very least, the best player the league has seen since Henry. His GPG ratio is insane, and he always performs in big games.

(I value longevity in the league, which is why I have him over Ronaldo & others).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Van Nistlerooy was better don't @ me.

lex talionis

Henry is in the conversation for greatest player in the PL. Aguero is not.

As for top 9s this is how I see it:

Henry and Ruud tied for the top spot, Henry being the better all-around forward but Ruud being the best pure finisher.
Shearer
Rooney
Aguero

Ronaldo would be at the top had his career in the PL lasted longer. Had that been the case, Ronaldo would be the greatest PL player (he's of course in the conversation for GOAT in the sport) and greatest PL forward/scorer/magician.

A shame Rooney never reached his full potential, despite the career that he actually had. But this thread is about Aguero and he's earned the praise he's receiving here. But no, he's no Henry and no Ruud.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Ten hat tricks in England now for Aguero, one behind Shearer's all-time record. He just scores goals.

Bojan11

He's better than Henry.
No way.

All round Henry would get like 30 goals and 20 assists. He was just more devastating.

Aguero over the last few years has adapted his game and is more a poacher now.

Bojan11

But in the big games, is nowhere near Aguero
What big games? Henry used to do well vs Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea. Scored a lot of screamers past us.

If you including Europe then you can argue what’s Aguero done in Europe.

gibers

3 tap ins on a plate. He is nowhere near Henry. Henry is better than Aguero at everything and is much better on the ball. Aguero just puts his head down and constantly loses the ball.

I mean... he's never been in contention for the best player in the league for a reason and he has never ever deserved to win it...