How could you possibly be content with this?

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We have tons of talent, wondering what we could do if we we're coached by some actual top level coaches.

EvilChuck

Imagine being a Unired fan in the 90s, where one season we managed to win the league despite dropping points in 17 games.

This place would have exploded every week

big rons sovereign

Waaaahhh, waaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaahhhh. I want all the shiny things nooooowwww, waaaahhhhh. It's not fair.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This is Ole Inners and Pogba fanboys day... let them have some fun and enjoy their delusion.
Do you really think the vast majority of United fans enjoying the win today are seriously thinking about whether or not Ole should be sacked?

You're in a small minority where every result/goal/shot on target/substitution needs scrutinising as a reason to fire the manager. Only once it happens will you be happy.

Most just enjoy the games and would be happy to discuss what went went well/what we could do better but it's becoming impossible on here.

eire-red

100 percent, I saw so many of these post 2007, it’s like people think you can never play shit!
If we had failed to win I'm sure there would have seen a threat labelled "We need to start winning when we're not playing well" or something along those lines.

Granted, we need to stop conceding first, but the team is showing great resilience. Under LVG, Mourinho and under Ole's first season, we would have wilted and lost that game 2-0. Plenty of positives to take, while at the same time lots to work on.

It's good to know that we're in the mix this season, but it still feels like we can do so much better.

Jonno

How can anyone have watched this game and walked away thinking "we're going places"? Two years in charge in a few days for Ole and we've still no style of play. To be outplayed by David fecking Moyes of all people managing an average West Ham squad is not a sign of progress. Is this what people wanted when Mourinho was sacked?

We turned up for 15 minutes today and we're fortunate that we're in a position to spend money that teams like West Ham can't. Even Gary Neville was questioning the performance. That wasn't acceptable in any way for a Manchester United team. Its costs us before and it'll cost us again. This is eerily similar to Mourinhos second season. We were winning even when things didn't look right and we know how that ended.
You sound disappointed we won

Andersons Dietician

Evra said something along the lines of this after the game “Somethings not right, yes they win 3-1but if you know football you know something isn’t right”

Be it no pre-season, burn out, whatever it is. Something just doesn’t seem right. There are glimpses of things and moments where you’re like ok something is here but too often we flatter to deceive. Just isn’t the concentration or intensity in our game and sometimes it does just look like there isn’t really a plan outside of hit and run.

After Lockdown there was certainly a style and way they were playing with repetitive patterns and tactics then Shaw got injured and it stopped and not once have they done the same things they were doing in that great period this season.

Cant really decide what to make of this season as there are plenty of factors that could lead to this sort of flat uninspiring performances we’ve seen over the season. I’m not sure what the real problem is but yeah something isn’t quite right.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We have tons of talent, wondering what we could do if we we're coached by some actual top level coaches.
We should rehire LVG a top level coach. After that doesn't work we could probably get Mourinho, another top level coach, again if we offer enough money. When he doesn't work maybe rehire Moyes who has been very good this year for West Ham and has proven he is top level for a few months.

The Irish Connection

West ham have been playing well, very solid team now, these are the types of games we’ve struggled in over recent years, you have to be happy with that. Yes it would be nice to dominate the game and get 2 goals up by half time but West Ham are a good side and they nearly always play well against us.

Jonno

There's nothing wrong with being critical and reflecting about how we won. The forum is one extreme to the other though.
Theres reflecting on how we won, which sounds constructive and mature.

there’s also questioning how fans “could possibly be content” with winning.

mancave bear

I've been browsing the caf for many years, yet I only joined a couple of years ago and barely ever post. Why? Because some of the fans on this forum are utterly toxic. The worst kind of spoilt, entitled moaning fans. The kind of fans we laugh at other clubs for having.

Constantly looking for any excuse to push their agenda. Upamecano comes to OT and puts in an absolute 1/10 performance and everyone's still raving about him. Meanwhile Maguire misplaces a pass and his thread gets half a dozen new posts. Team has a bad result, it's always the manager's fault. Team has a good result, manager has nothing to do with it. Manager doesn't make subs, he's clueless. Manager makes subs that directly win us the game, he got lucky. Should've started those players in the first place. Should've brought them on sooner, etc etc etc. You can't ever win against that mindset.

We came third last season against all odds. As others have said, we have form as good as or better than everyone else since we signed Bruno at the end of Jan. We've matched Liverpool and city point for point over a period of many months. We've just set then extended a club record of nine straight away wins. Even SAF never managed that. We only need a point to get out of a CL group everyone said we had no hope in. We're two points off the top of the league. And yet people want the manager sacked. It's just madness.

We've had some seriously impressive results at times against far stronger teams. We beat city, who have the tactical genuis Guardiola, three times last season. Apparently we somehow did this without having any tactics or plan whatsoever, according to people who don't know the first thing about football tactics. The kind of people that are such avid fans that they can't even stop posting on the site long enough to actually watch the team play properly. Far more important to live blog their opinion on every kick of the ball.

Why's he taking Cavani off instead of Greenwood? Why is Pogba still on the pitch? Why's Mata coming on, he's garbage! All opinions I saw shouted from the rooftops in the match day thread. All embarrassingly wrong. These are the people who shout the loudest about how the manager's a "PE teacher" etc.

Performances are a bit haphazard at the moment but it's a strange, demanding season for everyone and there's been so many unexpected results. Still loads of room for improvement, but when we click we tear teams apart and it's thrilling to watch in a way it's never been since SAF left. That doesn't happen by accident. Consistency is the hardest step to take, it's always the last piece of the puzzle. We're moving in the right direction and that won't change even if we lose the next two games.

(Sorry, long post I know)
Fantastic post. Spot on : )

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd take that every week to be honest couldn't give a feck about the overall performance as long as it results in 3 points, do you think we dicked teams week in week out under sir Alex ?

We didn't, majority of the time this type of thing happened.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Theres reflecting on how we won, which sounds constructive and mature.

there’s also questioning how fans “could possibly be content” with winning.
I understand what you're saying but I think the sentiment of it is correct.

For long periods of games we look like we don't have a clue. Although we managed to win today and in other games I can't help but feel we have been somewhat fortunate. Thus papering over the cracks of a largely disappointing and sub-standard performance.

It's not a great long term strategy.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'd take that every week to be honest couldn't give a feck about the overall performance as long as it results in 3 points, do you think we dicked teams week in week out under sir Alex ?

We didn't, majority of the time this type of thing happened.
We'll of course we'd all take that every week, we'd literally win every game if that was the case.

We just won't get away with it every week and that is the problem.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
How can anyone have watched this game and walked away thinking "we're going places"? Two years in charge in a few days for Ole and we've still no style of play. To be outplayed by David fecking Moyes of all people managing an average West Ham squad is not a sign of progress. Is this what people wanted when Mourinho was sacked?

We turned up for 15 minutes today and we're fortunate that we're in a position to spend money that teams like West Ham can't. Even Gary Neville was questioning the performance. That wasn't acceptable in any way for a Manchester United team. Its costs us before and it'll cost us again. This is eerily similar to Mourinhos second season. We were winning even when things didn't look right and we know how that ended.
Have you not noticed that Neville does nothing but spout shite during all of our games? He's worse than half the people on here. It's got to a point where the Sky remote should have a button on it that you can press to send Neville home when he starts getting out of hand...and another that send him to bed so he can't just crop up later on twitter.

I do think we were lucky not to be about 4-0 down today and Ole's subs never make any sense to me...but our other away games this season I think we've been playing well even when behind. Apart from Brighton but our fitness was diabolical for the first 3-4 games.

Definitely not like Jose's second season...and even if it was, we finished 2nd that season to a team that got about 100 points.

I'm really not sure where this season is going at the moment so woudn't exaclty mount a massive defence of how how cotnent I am with everything, but I do think no one's been particularly better than us so far so not going to write us off based on the negative points either.

If Chelsea or Spurs played how we did at Everton or came back the way we did at Southampton for example, people would be gushing over it and using it as an example of why they are contenders. While if we faffed our way to an unconvincing win against Burnley or Leeds in the way both of those have, there'd be no end of bollocks on here... let alone if we conceded 7 goals to Aston fecking Villa.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Pure Ole. 45 minutes of misery, 45 of glory.

Not enough to beat a consistent side in 90 minutes.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It's a good thing that no side is consistent for 90 minutes then!
You know what I meant; we can't beat the likes of Liverpool, Bayern, PSG, etc.

The next matches vs Leipzig and City will be crucial to know where we really are.

Matriac

You know what I meant; we can't beat the likes of Liverpool, Bayern, PSG, etc.

The next matches vs Leipzig and City will be crucial to know where we really are.
Oh we can't?

We just beat PSG not long ago, in the match this week we deserved the win. We blasted Leipzig recently, who drew with Bayern tonight. With Ole in charge we have beat City more times than not.

Yes Liverpool has been very strong in the past years, especially while we've been rebuilding, not so much this year. I definitely fancy our chances.

meamth

The commentators were having fun watching that game. Some of our supporters are too busy finding style of play instead of the entertainment tonight.

Go support Leeds.

Odin

Content? No, but I am not entirely put off either. For me the suspense is back, and I can see a number of the players putting in their best. So far, I can enjoy that. And I love a good comeback!

The attitude of a few players is also top of the list of things I don't enjoy. Being a mediocre sportsman and even poorer footballer myself, I really have no idea what frame of mind those eleven on the pitch are supposed to be in. But fans of Manchester United expect a minimum of dedication and passion. It doesn't matter if it is a "Wednesday in Stoke" or anywhere anytime else. When you don that shirt, you do your best! That's my main gripe with some of our players. When it looks like it is no big deal for them, like it's just any job. But maybe that's their "performance optimum mode"? I really don't know... It seems Ole tries to get rid of the pervasive mercenary attitude of modern era football and instill some team morale. Kudos to him for that.

Some decisions of Ole I don't get, such as the pretty late subs and seemingly lax attitude on the sideline. He obviously is not one to vent in public as a default, but maybe he still could show a bit more engagement on the sideline? Whether that would have stifled the players from extra pressure or give them an extra boost with a rocket up their a**e I don't know, but it is frustrating to watch him being so cool about it when I'm not. Why care about my frustrations?

Ole is apparently willing to heap pressure on himself by changing up the squad, give players specific challenges and put them through tests in games - without retorting to blaming the players for poor performance, even when some players perform waaay below their standard. Some of Ole's tactical decisions in matches are hard to understand, specially when they don't come off. It's a lot easier when it works. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

So, I am willing to accept I don't understand all his decisions, I believe he's had his reasons for many of the choices he's made and I am sure he himself sees mistakes he makes and tries to rectify that. Do I religiously believe he is the one and only? No, but I am on board and willing to let him finish the season. As if it matters...

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The temptation to write an @GlastonSpur style daddy want post is huge!

You’re in a title race and it’s not good enough for some posters
Your goals per games and goals against is better than Liverpool’s in 2020 and it’s not good enough
You’ve signed Bruno, who is currently proving to be one the best in the world and it’s not enough
You’re a draw off qualifying for the knockout stages for the CL in arguably the toughest group, it’s not enough
You’re three points of the top rather than this time last year when you were 15 off the top, it’s not enough

People are upset that you lost to PSG when you deserved to win on the balance of play and beat West Ham, when maybe you didn’t deserve it, funny thing football!

A lot of posters need to understand that football is cyclical, no one is the top team every season, all the time and it looks like you’re on the way back up, so why not enjoy the ride.

Plymouth Red

Your goals per games and goals against is better than Liverpool’s in 2020 and it’s not good enough
You’ve signed Bruno, who is currently proving to be one the best in the world and it’s not enough
You’re a draw off qualifying for the knockout stages for the CL in arguably the toughest group, it’s not enough
You’re three points of the top rather than this time last year when you were 15 off the top, it’s not enough

People are upset that you lost to PSG when you deserved to win on the balance of play and beat West Ham, when maybe you didn’t deserve it, funny thing football!

A lot of posters need to understand that football is cyclical, no one is the top team every season, all the time and it looks like you’re on the way back up, so why not enjoy the ride.
Wise words. This is why Eric liked seagulls.

Quinze

Nor particularly satisfied with the performance, but winning ugly is the sign of top sides. This feels like a reverse PSG where had West Ham managed to finish their chances in the opening 60 minutes, a comeback wouldn't have been possible.

Matriac

Has anyone started to make @The Boy fancams yet? If not I have to look into how to do video editing.

Quality post, as always.