How Cringe Is The Liverpool/City Love In

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Have you ever seen anything like it in football? From the players to the managers all hugging each other being best pals at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

Imagine United/Arsenal/Chelsea getting on like that or Madrid/Barca, Milan/Inter/Juvenile etc..

They’ve been trying to hype this up as the biggest rivalry in PL history ever the last few weeks as well l0l.

One club with one European title in their history (over 50 years ago) and another with one league title in the last 30 years.

This ain’t no rivalry. May as well be Blackburn Rovers v Nottingham Forest.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
If Utd were challenging on all fronts they can hug whoever the feck they want as far as I am concerned

Eddy_JukeZ

Not even a rivalry at all to me.

Laughable how so many are peddling the idea it's the best Prem rivalry ever.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
This is how a rivalry should be IMO. What we saw with Mourinho at Real Madrid was disgusting both on and off the pitch. I know you dislike both clubs so it's normal you dislike their friendly rivalry as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Utd were challenging on all fronts they can hug whoever the feck they want as far as I am concerned
Yeah but when we were we didn’t do anything like that. Can you imagine us giving Viera a reach around after Ruud missed a penalty? feck no. Guardiola was practically inserting himself into van Dijk during his Sky interview.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This is how a rivalry should be IMO. What we saw with Mourinho at Real Madrid was disgusting both on and off the pitch. I know you dislike both clubs so it's normal you dislike their friendly rivalry as well.
No that was exactly how a rivalry should be.

AltiUn

That rivalry was class, absolute quality entertainment. If everyone gets along then what’s the point in supporting a team? If you like every team then there’s no satisfaction from winning a game.

Blood Mage

Hardly a rivalry when the two clubs love each other due to their shared loathing of United. City are a sportswashing project, they are where they are because of financial doping. They are not and never will be a club to be respected.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Have you ever seen anything like it in football? From the players to the managers all hugging each other being best pals at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

Imagine United/Arsenal/Chelsea getting on like that or Madrid/Barca, Milan/Inter/Juvenile etc..

They’ve been trying to hype this up as the biggest rivalry in PL history ever the last few weeks as well l0l.

One club with one European title in their history (over 50 years ago) and another with one league title in the last 30 years.

Its a horrible thing to treat you opponents with respect for sure. What a world we live in.

Federer and Nadal obviously wasn't a real rivalry, nor Davis and White or Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicholaus.

As for the bolded part, how many European titles do you think the Arsenal team your rivalry was against had?

big rons sovereign

Its a horrible thing to treat you opponents with respect for sure. What a world we live in.

Federer and Nadal obviously wasn't a real rivalry, nor Davis and White or Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicholaus.

As for the bolded part, how many European titles do you think the Arsenal team your rivalry was against had?
The difference being those teams hated eachother. Pretty much every match was war. Most games would have contentious talking points. What's there to discuss after yesterday?
City and Liverpool are basically holding hands after the game.

AltiUn

I know this is your first proper rivalry but this typically isn't how things go.

Moby

Dick
It's deliberate mind games by Pep and has been for a while after he realised one of Klopps strengths in his career was to collectively motivate his team in a Fergie-esque manner to go and fight for every ball, and Klopp has been sucked into it completely. In the recent games Liverpool hasn't shown that relentless mentality like they did during their cl runs for example while playing City and a lot of it is due how pep has not allowed this duel to turn into a heated contest which is what favours Klopp and fires him up and brings out his best. Pep doesn't give a shit about anything except winning and taking out every opponent strength.

Red00012

Pep hugging Klopp after the game was full on cringe

imagine SAF doing that to Wenger

the greatest rivalry ever…sure

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC

Arsenal have won double the European titles that city have won. As well as being runners up in three European finals over the last 20 odd years.

Why are you comparing tennis to football rivalries? May as well compare it to Steve Jobs v Bill Gates.

Go and tell Rangers and Celtic fans what a proper rivalry is while you’re at it.

Sweet Square

The biggest issue with the Liverpool and City rivalry is Pool have only won a single league title. It’s all too one sided. Plus the side that keeps winning isn’t really a football club but a fifa save file for a billionaire royal family.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They are just playing games of Football, with little affect. It's not a rivalry.

Pearl.Jam

Bollocks…it ain’t a rivalry if everyone is friends with each other..seeing as you’re a Barca fan I’ll admit eye gouging is pretty bad but Jose gonna Jose

Hammondo

Arsenal have won double the European titles that city have won. As well as being runners up in three European finals over the last 20 odd years.

Why are you comparing tennis to football rivalries? May as well compare it to Steve Jobs v Bill Gates.

Go and tell Rangers and Celtic fans what a proper rivalry is while you’re at it.
The Rangers Celtic rivalry has been terrible. Good example of why things needed to change.

Spaghetti

Mom's

You can’t go comparing team sport rivalries to individual sport. Individual sport athletes have to travel and practice together and often make friends for this reason, although of course there are some rivalries of course.

Team sports are totally different in mentality.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Also what’s with the Barcelona fan in here saying it is a proper rivalry haha! Give me fans throwing a pigs head at Figo any day over what I seen yesterday.

Reditus

Can you imagine giving Viera a reach around after Ruud missed a penalty?
There’s a market for everything…

Seriously though its not a big deal. Yes it’s different to how we remember but also I haven’t really seen too many call it the greatest rivalry either. If anything I see most people point towards it all being very tepid.

Either way one or both of them are about to have incredibly successful seasons. I’d prefer to have the worry of us not bitterly hating the other side and having a great season that what we have been served

United in sin

What a strange way to look at things considering Liverpool won the CL recently and City have won several league titles since they won the blood money lottery.

I don't see it as a rivalry though. Just two really good teams guided by great managers with a lot of respect for one another.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

I didn't bother watching the game, was it as good as the press have since made out? You could tell from the build up that they were going to make out like it was the greatest, most important match every played in the history of the sport so I can't tell if they're just trying to double down or it was actually a decent game.

As for the love in, yeah feck that.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Jamie Carragher: "Liverpool and Manchester City has become the greatest, most intense and highest quality rivalry in English football history."

:D:D:D

Hammondo

I didn't bother watching the game, was it as good as the press have since made out? You could tell from the build up that they were going to make out like it was the greatest, most important match every played in the history of the sport so I can't tell if they're just trying to double down or it was actually a decent game.

As for the love in, yeah feck that.
It was good but they cancelled each other out a lot. Lots of hard work, lots of organised play.

Reditus

If he means in terms of football, he might be right.
He isn’t far off but I would argue Utd at their best vs Arsenal and then Chelsea at their best was better in quality (and obviously far more needle if that’s what you are after)