How Cringe Is The Liverpool/City Love In

Guy Incognito

Reminds me a bit of the Bill Hicks bit about how there are no great rock stars anymore.

Man United vs Arsenal was a Hendrix of a rivalry. Man City are the Pepsi generation
There wasn't this analysis of ridiculous proportions that we see now. You didn't even have to justify why it made for a great rivalry as Carragher has tried to.

Anyone who says that the quality of football wasn't great needs to watch that FA cup semi final in 1999 or even the league encounter a few months before. Arsenal were a very good side back then, their defence was well drilled.

big rons sovereign

I think it only seems that way because the vast majority of United and Liverpool fans live outside England, and they don't get the rivalry. But ask anyone from either city or even the NW of England, and they'll tell you the rivalry is as strong as ever.
I grew up a united fan in the 80s in NW England.
All things Liverpool can feck right off.
Strongly dislike arsenal all the way back to the battle of old Trafford, was it 89/90?
Hated Chelsea since I was almost trampled as kid outside old Trafford by a pack of their fans running away.
City, I could've give a monkeys about.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I know, It was more of a general statement after reading through the thread. I get the impression there are many who don't quite get the rivalry between our clubs.
Liverpool united is something altogether different. If we were both on top and competing it would be a stress fest. I’m stressing over next weekend already. I suppose fans new to this who maybe started watching after uniteds glory years might not get it if they don’t have family members friends ect. who didn’t indoctrinate them into the historical hatred between the two teams. Most of us had no choice. Not the same with city. That’s just a competitive rivalry.

big rons sovereign

Liverpool united is something altogether different. If we were both on top and competing it would be a stress fest. I’m stressing over next weekend already. I suppose fans new to this who maybe started watching after uniteds glory years might not get it if they don’t have family members friends ect. who didn’t indoctrinate them into the historical hatred between the two teams. Most of us had no choice. Not the same with city. That’s just a competitive rivalry.
You've nowt to stress about.
We'd be lucky to get nil.

Real Name

There wasn't this analysis of ridiculous proportions that we see now. You didn't even have to justify why it made for a great rivalry as Carragher has tried to.

Anyone who says that the quality of football wasn't great needs to watch that FA cup semi final in 1999 or even the league encounter a few months before. Arsenal were a very good side back then, their defence was well drilled.
Social media didnt exist back then. Now someone says something or write it and it spreads around like a wildfire.

Pablo18th

As a neutral the football is incredible and Pep vs Klopp has been the match since both managers were in Germany. Who cares if they hug and kiss each other after the whistle?

JohnnyKills

Pointing out a grammar mistake. the actions of someone with no real counter argument
A counter-argument to what exactly?

I think we'd all recognise that Liverpool and City are the two best teams in Europe right now and City are one of the great teams in PL history (for me they're the best).

But if you want United fans to recognise City's achievements as somehow meaningful or praiseworthy...come on.

You basically got given a free stadium out of charity and then won the lottery (thanks to a ruling family that won the lottery itself).

Real Name

Its on Tuesday. :)
I agree with you, funny thing is Liverpool and United competed for the title in just 2009 and that was about it. If it were United instead of City it would be a complete madness and its a big, heated rivalry already. I got into it by reading about it cause didnt have any means to be broad up like that. :) When I started following United back in the day I didnt know rivalry existed but got to know it afterwards.

JohnnyKills

One journalist tweeted during the game “this is sooooooooo good”. It’s probably me being bitter but it made me sick in my mouth a bit.
The way they willfully blind themselves to City's sportswashing and breaches of FFP is ridiculous, I agree.

Still, if you start questioning the ethics of the best team in the league it makes the whole thing pointless, right?

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
It's definitely the highest-quality rivalry, purely because this City team are the best PL team ever (even better than United 08 in my opinion).

But there's no way it's the most exciting or compelling rivalry for the spectator, purely because City is a meaningless project that goes against the spirit (and probably the rules) of the game.
For me it is, due to what you said in the 1st paragraph.

cyberman

Haven't City got just one more point in total than Pool over the last four years?

And both teams are averaging very nearly 90 points a season over the same period.....

I also recall City won by one point one year where they had to win their last umpteen games on the spin to do so.

Also, both teams have hit more than 90 points in 2 out of 3 seasons, with this season very likely to make it 3 out of four which no one else has got anywhere near consistently since football began c1992....

All this bearing in mind Pool were absolutely shite last year :lol:....

Breaks my heart to say it but the reality is that but for those Scouse fookers it would indeed be a one horse league...:rolleyes:
Isn’t that because Liverpool went on that huge run where they had the league wrapped up by Christmas? Last year wasn’t close between the two, the year before wasn’t neither. It just seems like two close seasons out of 4 can bluff you into thinking they’re constantly going toe to toe with each other if the 2 non close seasons swing exactly the same way points wise.
City are favourites to win 4 out of 5 league titles. That really is insane, that’s SAF style domination. It’s not really a rivalry if it’s so lop sided imo. It’s not two sides dominating the league but one.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Are we really going to talk about the definition of a rivalry?
And not about rivalry in real life.
I mean it is a rivalry in real life if it follows the definition of one.. You guys are strawmanning that a rivalry has to be some Connor McGregor toxic bullshit when it clearly doesn't and I've given examples of classic rivalries that were not near as toxic as football fans seem to think they have to be.

Go tell Steve Davis his rivalry with Jimmy White wasn't one even though it was completely cordial and notoriously one sided.

Now once either Liverpool fall away or we get relegated for cooking the books it won't be but we are literally rivals right now in every since of the word.

Would it remotely change anything in the grand scheme of things if Pep threw a custard pie at Klopp!

People need to accept the hard man wannabe bullshit of 20 years ago is dead and thankfully being taken out of the game.

Last edited:

Real Name

I mean it is a rivalry in real life if it follows the definition of one.. You guys are strawmanning that a rivalry has to be some Connor McGregor toxic bullshit when it clearly doesn't and I've given examples of classic rivalries that were near as toxic as football fans seem to think they have to be.

Go tell Steve Davis his rivalry with Jimmy White wasn't one even though it was completely cordial and notoriously one sided.

Now once either Liverpool fall away or we get relegated for cooking the books it won't be but we are literally rivals right now in every since of the word.

Would it remotely change anything in the grand scheme of things if Pep threw a custard pie at Klopp!

People need to accept the hard man wannabe bullshit of 20 years ago is dead and thankfully being taken out of the game.
I didnt write any of bolded parts and I had to google Steve Davis and Jimmy White. I mean you really cant compare football and snooker, come on. Especially the rivalry part..

As others have said this year is only the 2nd one in which City and Liverpool are competing for the title. Plus they'll play in the FA cup. Maybe in time there will be a rivalry but at this point there isnt one both on and of the pitch.

Anyway I'll just quote this cause its basically and literally what I mean about the whole thing.

It might be the best competition between two teams in PL history. I'm not sure there was ever a point before where the two teams fighting it out were probably the best two in Europe and it's pretty insane that there's just one point seperating them across four seasons. That's insanely high level stuff.

But it's definitely not the best rivalry, because that needs to be about more than just the football. In fact in a way the most remarkable thing about this supposed rivalry is how lacking it edge it is given just how intense the competition between the two has been.

Drainy

people need to accept the hard man wannabe bullshit of 20 years ago is dead and thankfully being taken out of the game.
Yeah, oil and TV money has destroyed the heart of football and the fact a supposed city fan is poopooing that as wannabe hard man stuff is hilarious

padr81

Supports
Man City
A counter-argument to what exactly?

I think we'd all recognise that Liverpool and City are the two best teams in Europe right now and City are one of the great teams in PL history (for me they're the best).

But if you want United fans to recognise City's achievements as somehow meaningful or praiseworthy...come on.

You basically got given a free stadium out of charity and then won the lottery (thanks to a ruling family that won the lottery itself).
We're talking about rivalry here, what are you on about? We were literally discussing the rivalry between City and Liverpool in the thread when you came in raving about grammar and sentence structure, usually clear signs of someone who has no valid argument against the debated subject but its turns out despite the thread title you didn't even know the subject. My apologies for thinking you were paying attention to the thread.

As for free stadiums, you might wanna learn some of you own clubs history.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, oil and TV money has destroyed the heart of football and the fact a supposed city fan is poopooing that as wannabe hard man stuff is hilarious
Again nonsense. The heart was being ripped out of football since long before Chelsea nevermind City.

Trying to tie two completely unrelated subjects together is again strawmanning.

You think oil money has anything to do with modern culture and how people now behave and treat each other? A bunch of brutal dictators owning a football club is why football players and managers treat each other better and respectfully... really?

Abraxas

It's weird to me. I don't think it's a big deal but I find it unusual to see two sides and managers all matey after a game to the extent they seem to be. Maybe in a few days and on international duty etc, we know they're mostly mates ultimately, but straight after an intense game I do find that bizarre. But whatever, not really something to worry about, I guess it's new age football.

Drainy

Again nonsense. The heart was being ripped out of football since long before Chelsea nevermind City.

Trying to tie two completely unrelated subjects together is again strawmanning.

You think oil money has anything to do with modern culture and how people now behave and treat each other? A bunch of brutal dictators owning a football club is why football players and managers treat each other better and respectfully... really?
I'm saying that the players care less than they used to

TheReligion

Abusive
We're talking about rivalry here, what are you on about? We were literally discussing the rivalry between City and Liverpool in the thread when you came in raving about grammar and sentence structure, usually clear signs of someone who has no valid argument against the debated subject but its turns out despite the thread title you didn't even know the subject. My apologies for thinking you were paying attention to the thread.

As for free stadiums, you might wanna learn some of you own clubs history.
Not sure what you’re suggesting about Old Trafford but if it’s the rebuild after the bombing then it’s nothing alike tbh

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That's not the case, is it? I mean, City fans may consider Liverpool and United as their rivals (one competitive and the other tribal) but we don't feel the same way about you, not anymore anyway. Not since your club sold its soul for a few trophies, all of which are considered illegitimate/false/not genuine by the majority.

There's an active thread on this forum titled: Do City make you feel numb? that encompasses my feelings entirely regards your club. Just don't care about them.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I didnt write any of bolded parts and I had to google Steve Davis and Jimmy White. I mean you really cant compare football and snooker, come on. Especially the rivalry part..

As others have said this year is only the 2nd one in which City and Liverpool are competing for the title. Plus they'll play in the FA cup. Maybe in time there will be a rivalry but at this point there isnt one both on and of the pitch.

Anyway I'll just quote this cause its basically and literally what I mean about the whole thing.
Federer and Nadal. A rivalry is a rivalry. It's not different because its football. Some are hostile some are not. I don't get where rivalry has to mean hostility.

Never have and never will. Its why I'm so comfortable on a United forum. Its also why if City go out of the CL, I'll cheer on Chelsea and if they go out Liverpool (even if as I've said often I have issue with a minority of their support). Its only my opinion but its kinda silly to dislike a player at club level and then cheer him on at international level. Hell I'd even cheer on United over most teams in Europe unless its a club like Ajax or Dortmund I have a soft spot for.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That's not the case, is it? I mean, City fans may consider Liverpool and United as their rivals (one competitive and the other tribal) but we don't feel the same way about you, not anymore anyway. Not since your club sold its soul for a few trophies, all of which are considered illegitimate/false/not genuine by the majority.

There's an active thread on this forum titled: Do City make you feel numb? that encompasses my feelings entirely regards your club. Just don't care about them.
The point is what you think has nothing to do with rivalry, nor what I think. We're not rivals right now because you guys are kinda shit. We weren't rivals before our take over either when you were hoovering up trophies and we were in League 1 or even in the same division and even shitter. Its just we're not really competing on the same level for the same things right now or back then. In fact the only time since the late 60's early 70's we've really been rivals has been Ferguson vs Mancini and for LVG's final season and half of Jose's first.

I don't know if people on the forum don't understand the meaning of the word or are deliberately misinterpreting it to make themselves feel good about your current level but your genuine biggest rivals (for the most trophies, not on the pitch currently) are rivals to your neighbours for the current trophies.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not sure what you’re suggesting about Old Trafford but if it’s the rebuild after the bombing then it’s nothing alike tbh
You might wanna go further back. John Henry Davies funded your move to Old Trafford, its not even a secret.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Poor @padr81 has been broken. Your rival Liverpool supporters on this forum are made of stronger stuff.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Poor @padr81 has been broken. Your rival Liverpool supporters on this forum are made of stronger stuff.
They're rivals but I love (most of) them. I still maintain Klopper is the best oppo poster on the forums. (i've made so many typos today have to edit every post)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The point is what you think has nothing to do with rivalry, nor what I think. We're not rivals right now because you guys are kinda shit. We weren't rivals before our take over either when you were hoovering up trophies and we were in League 1 or even in the same division and even shitter. Its just we're not really competing on the same level for the same things right now or back then. In fact the only time since the late 60's early 70's we've really been rivals has been Ferguson vs Mancini and for LVG's final season and half of Jose's first.

I don't know if people on the forum don't understand the meaning of the word or are deliberately misinterpreting it to make themselves feel good about your current level but your genuine biggest rivals (for the most trophies, not on the pitch currently) are rivals to your neighbours for the current trophies.
Nothing could make me feel good about my club's current level. We're a shambolic mess right now, a pitiful shadow of our former selves. But - and yes there is a but - we expect our fortunes to improve over the coming seasons after the numerous structural changes taking place at the club this summer, post-Ed Woodward. Not to mention bringing in one of the most highly thought of coaches in Europe.

We'll be back eventually.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It all depends on the teams doesn’t it. Liverpool united could have best friends as coaches but the team and fan hatred is still there. We don’t need hard men to keep that going. Never will need it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Rooney and Gerrard were/are friends, so were their partners, but don’t remember them hugging each other on the pitch every time they played. Some United and Chelsea players were also friends.

Completely different nowadays. Plus they get on well on England duty which mostly wasn’t the case back then.

Relevant

Isn’t that because Liverpool went on that huge run where they had the league wrapped up by Christmas? Last year wasn’t close between the two, the year before wasn’t neither. It just seems like two close seasons out of 4 can bluff you into thinking they’re constantly going toe to toe with each other if the 2 non close seasons swing exactly the same way points wise.
City are favourites to win 4 out of 5 league titles. That really is insane, that’s SAF style domination. It’s not really a rivalry if it’s so lop sided imo. It’s not two sides dominating the league but one.
So if team A win 3 titles out of 4 and team B win the other one but 2 out of team A's 3 titles are achieved by beating team B by a single point over both seasons that doesn't count as a rivalry and makes it a virtual one horse race?

(I've taken the names of the teams out to 1) remove the emotion/keep it factual and 2) to stop me puking as I typed) :D

Silverman

This is how a rivalry should be IMO. What we saw with Mourinho at Real Madrid was disgusting both on and off the pitch. I know you dislike both clubs so it's normal you dislike their friendly rivalry as well.
Says the Barcelona fan :lol:

Silverman

Both teams play great entertaining football but their rivalry is nowhere near being the best.

I’m loving my life

Liverpool and City are going to clean up this season again.

let that sink in
Either or both will make history and/or eclipse our achievements.

This is YOUR fault. You buy tickets, season tickets or any other merchandise fuelling the Glazer’s money making scheme/ demolition of the club/ invitation for those clubs to surpass and go light years ahead of us……then you are complicit.

We let this happen

big rons sovereign

Yes, Ma United supporters cheering for man city against Atletico was really cringe.
Yeah, it's horrible.
Personally I was hoping for a meteor strike or a sinkhole. Maybe a zombie horde breaking out from the atletico bench.
In the end I had to settle for foden having what resembled a big blue tit for a head.

Okey

:lol:

Didn’t you turn on the sprinklers when he won with Inter

The more bitter the rivalry the better imo.
Absolutely. What's the point otherwise? Imagine we beat the Dippers next week. I want to see snarling faces and riled up fans. Handshakes refused and all that. Too bad it's a pipe dream with our current state of affairs.