How did Steve Bruce score 19 goals in 1991-92?

SydneyRoughDiamond

Sami Hyppia was a penalty taker for Liverpool iirc.

Dennis Irwin was Utd's penalty taker between Bruce and Cantona I think as well.

Reactions: Rood

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, he was an incredible goalscorer, even though a lot of those were penalties (but you need to score those too). Having him on corners was almost cheating!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Keane didnt say that. He said being an international doesnt automaticly make you a top player.
He also said that a player who hasn't played for his national team must really be bad because a tonne of average players get into the team.

Baneofthegame

Dicks was a left back & Unsworth started at left back so may have been playing from that position at the time.
Not sure why I remembered Dicks as a CB, but might explain Unsworth, who has 22 penalty goals.

YAMS49

Don't know off the top of my head.
Ramos,Blanc?
Ramos stands out as the main one from centre half. Blanc was too classy for words, should have been a Regista.
Not sure why I remembered Dicks as a CB, but might explain Unsworth, who has 22 penalty goals.
I believe Dicks ended his career left centre half in a back three but most of the time at WHU & Liverpool he was a LB. Unsworth started at LB & was pretty marauding from memory but then the pie eating kicked in & he switched to centre back.

big rons sovereign

Thing is Maguire's goal attemptsare great clearances
Unfortunately very true.
Strangely when he's attempting clearances, he only ever seems to find opposition players in dangerous positions.
Maybe he should just attempt to score own goals, that way he'd be making brilliant clearances all the time.

dinostar77

Never understood why a defender would be a penalty taker. You would have thought the strikers or the free kick take would be better bets.

Jezpeza

Never understood why a defender would be a penalty taker. You would have thought the strikers or the free kick take would be better bets.
you get some defenders who stay on the training pitch and practice pens and freekicks and throwins and the like. Leighton Baines was a good example. Denis irwin. Lucas Digne. Roberto Carlos.
Alex Telles is a dynamite penalty taker as well, was portos taker.

fergies coat

I'll never forget his two late goals against Sheffield Wednesday. I was listening to it on the radio and turned it off at 90 minutes and went outside to play with my mates. Ten minutes later my brother come running up to me telling me we won. Two absolutely fantastic headers as well.

That pretty much sealed our first title in 26 years, and that iconic moment of Sir Alex and Brian Kidd celebrating on the pitch.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Taking penalties these days is about bottle not the goal scorers. Scholes and Bergkamp completely lost it after crucial misses.Denis Irwin was as cool as anything.I was never 100% confident Ronnie would bury them but RVN ...very.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Belletti (sp?) Was a fairly good penalty taker, managed all of 1 minute in a champions League final in order to score one in 2008.

lsd

The Oracle
He scored 20 as far as I'm concerned since Hughes had to stick his toe on his header against Barcelona in the Cup Winners Cup Final when the ball was on the line

always_hoping

Should have been 20 goals in that 1990/91 as that first goal in the cup winners cup final was going into the net.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I was listening to the Gary Neville podcast today and Martin Tyler seemed to mention that Bruce scored 20 goals in a season for United, wiki suggests it was actually 19 in 1991-92, which would be second most on the team, behind Hughes and McClair, with 21 each. This was well before my time and it sounded unbelievable to me for a center back. I knew Irwin used to take free kicks and penalties but did Bruce do that as well? If not, how did he get to that? He head healthy scoring numbers for a center back but he did not reach that number again before or after that season in his career. Is that also the most league goals ever scored by a center back or even a defender?
Penos and legitimately great in the air. Brucey gets a lot of stick these days and is made out to be a bit of a joke but he was a great defender in his partnership with Pallister and was a legitimate goal threat in the box. Think Maguire only better attacking and a bit slower

redmanx

He was our penalty taker and great captain, he could make good tackling and header, but he was slow though.

Yeh I thought was underrated too, our defense used to be very solid with him and Pallister in defense, far better than our current one for sure. Let’s just say if Maguire worth 80m 2 years back, Bruce should worth 100m, comparatively.
Steve Bruce not just the best uncapped English player, for a while he was the best central defender in the league; how he was never capped is a total mystery, he was easily the equal of Tony Adams who it always seemed to me was selected because somebody compared him to Bobby Moore; Bobby Ball more like.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Apart from his ability, what made it more of an odd decision was I'd have thought Robson would have seen the merits of playing two CHs who played together week in, week out.

That said, Tony Adams was no mug so I can accept him as an alternative. But still no idea how people like Keith Curle got capped when Bruce didn't.
In fairness there were a lot of good cbs around, Adams, Keown, Campbell, Mabbutt, Wright, Scales, Curle, Walker etc.

golden_blunder

Staff
Steve Bruce not just the best uncapped English player, for a while he was the best central defender in the league; how he was never capped is a total mystery, he was easily the equal of Tony Adams who it always seemed to me was selected because somebody compared him to Bobby Moore; Bobby Ball more like.
Tony Adams was a better footballer. I say that as a Bruce & Pallister fan. I believe Fergie tried to sign him too

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In fairness there were a lot of good cbs around, Adams, Keown, Campbell, Mabbutt, Wright, Scales, Curle, Walker etc.
There's a bit of a mix in there (ability/when played). I wouldn't put Scales or Curle anywhere near the others (ok club players).

Wright, Keown, Mabbutt close but not better (or clearly better) especially v Bruce of the early-mid 90s .. Mabbutt had finished with England by 93.

Adams (I mentioned/always rated him), Campbell and Walker at peak, definitely better but Walker was dropped by then (Venables?) and Campbell was a teen.

If Bruce had got 5-10 caps, it'd be easy to say "Adams/Walker before him, Campbell after were shoe ins" but to not at least try him when others were (maybe friendlies when England missed 94) still seems odd .. but maybe England managers saw something in his play they didn't think would transfer to Intls.

Great. Kept him fit for United :)

golden_blunder

Staff
There's a bit of a mix in there (ability/when played). I wouldn't put Scales or Curle anywhere near the others (ok club players).

Wright, Keown, Mabbutt close but not better (or clearly better) especially v Bruce of the early-mid 90s .. Mabbutt had finished with England by 93.

Adams (I mentioned/always rated him), Campbell and Walker at peak, definitely better but Walker was dropped by then (Venables?) and Campbell was a teen.

If Bruce had got 5-10 caps, it'd be easy to say "Adams/Walker before him, Campbell after were shoe ins" but to not at least try him when others were (maybe friendlies when England missed 94) still seems odd .. but maybe England managers saw something in his play they didn't think would transfer to Intls.

Great. Kept him fit for United :)
Don’t get me wrong, I think he should have had some caps. If you’re a cb and score 19 goals in one season surely you get a cap in a friendly or something.
I also felt Pallister was underused. He was one of few ball playing defenders around at that time. He was the ideal partner for most of the ones named above

Des Walker was superb for a while, like an English Jaap Stam. I really wanted him at United

FattyFooty

I think Fernando Hierro also have some sick numbers from CB/CDM position.