How do Barcelona rebuild?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I feel like davids is hilariously underrated on here for some reason. Best midfielder of his era by miles, a game and team-changer
He is underrated but he is also not the best midfielder of his era, it's arguable if he is even the best midfielder from Ajax in that era. But they are both hilariously underrated, so your point stands. :D

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He is underrated but he is also not the best midfielder of his era, it's arguable if he is even the best midfielder from Ajax in that era. But they are both hilariously underrated, so your point stands. :D
He was waaaay better than seedorf, seriously. Seedorf was great in great teams, Davids made his teams great

And i can't think of a better CM from his era honestly. Maybe Redondo, just maybe on second thought, no

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He was waaaay better than seedorf, seriously. Seedorf was great in great teams, Davids made his teams great

And i can't think of a better CM from his era honestly. Maybe Redondo, just maybe on second thought, no
Davids hasn't made a single team great by himself, now you are overrating him. For example he joined a Juventus team that had Deschamps and Zidane in midfield and were Serie A champions and CL finalists. He didn't make Ajax great more than the likes of Seedorf, Litmanen or Kluivert.

Now I wouldn't be able to tell you who was the best midfielder in that era it's too difficult and will also maybe depend on whether you have sub categories.

Ekeke

Sell Dembele and Coutinho at a loss from what they paid, sign Aouar as their new Iniesta. Play Aouar, Busquets and De Jong in the middle. They'd be able to compete with Madrid in La Liga and do better in the champions league with just that amount of change. Maybe grab Pau Torres from Villarreal to have him learn from Pique.

Edit - Also get Dario Sarmiento in from Independiente and have him be Messi's young Argentine project.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Sell Dembele and Coutinho at a loss from what they paid, sign Aouar as their new Iniesta. Play Aouar, Busquets and De Jong in the middle. They'd be able to compete with Madrid in La Liga and do better in the champions league with just that amount of change. Maybe grab Pau Torres from Villarreal to have him learn from Pique.
Play Busquets, are you serious?
He is past it, and has been for some time now, De Jong should play DM and Busquets should be on the bench.

Ekeke

Play Busquets, are you serious?
He is past it, and has been for some time now, De Jong should play DM and Busquets should be on the bench.
He played with them coming 5 points behind Madrid. If hes anywhere near as bad as you make out they would have been a whole lot further back.

De Jong barely wins the ball, Busquets is still their best at it.

dev1l

Interesting piece. Thanks.
The thing that hurts most is about the fans. They have no patience for young developing players. They want ready made players.
Sadly it applies also to us and you can see it here. They cannot understand that mistakes are part of the learning process

Jericho

If they can get Guardiola back I think it will be a lesser job to get them back to the top. I think he'd add a few players, but also get the best out of most of who's already there.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He played with them coming 5 points behind Madrid. If hes anywhere near as bad as you make out they would have been a whole lot further back.

De Jong barely wins the ball, Busquets is still their best at it.
What kind of argument is this?
So, Lucas Vazquez is the GOAT because RM finished above Barcelona in the table?

This is so incredibly stupid.

Busquets is a liability whenever Barca doesnt have the ball, and he occupies De Jongs best position, he needs to be on the bench, its that simple.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If they can get Guardiola back I think it will be a lesser job to get them back to the top. I think he'd add a few players, but also get the best out of most of who's already there.
They have no money. Pep wouldn’t go there

Ekeke

What kind of argument is this?
So, Lucas Vazquez is the GOAT because RM finished above Barcelona in the table?

This is so incredibly stupid.

Busquets is a liability whenever Barca doesnt have the ball, and he occupies De Jongs best position, he needs to be on the bench, its that simple.
Lucas didnt start. He had 8 starts to Busquets 29. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucas was just a squad player, pick someone who played a decent amount of games like Modric and Valverde who had 22 and 21 starts each.

De Jong isnt a good DM, he's exactly what you're wrongly complaining Busquets is. He doesnt do enough without the ball, he's good on it.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Sure, one of the greatest.

Vieira won the duel at the Euro 2000 in the France-Netherlands game :cool:

France was already qualified but lost because they played subs like Micoud, Dugarry, etc.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Suárez has said that he would like to stay, since nobody from the club has told him that he has to leave.
He defends himself saying that last year the fans wanted to retire Kroos, Ramos or Modric and a year later everything has changed.
He also says that he wouldn't mind if he has to go to the bench.
https://elpais.com/deportes/2020-08-21/luis-suarez-aun-puedo-aportar-mucho-al-barcelona.html
I have read an opinion about Atlético's option, I think it seems quite reasonable if he finally leaves.

dev1l

Suárez has said that he would like to stay, since nobody from the club has told him that he has to leave.
He defends himself saying that last year the fans wanted to retire Kroos, Ramos or Modric and a year later everything has changed.
He also says that he wouldn't mind if he has to go to the bench.
https://elpais.com/deportes/2020-08-21/luis-suarez-aun-puedo-aportar-mucho-al-barcelona.html
I have read an opinion about Atlético's option, I think it seems quite reasonable if he finally leaves.
It s all about the money. He LL never say he wants to leave so he don't need to ask for a transfer. He ll let the club approach him to break the contract

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I feel like davids is hilariously underrated on here for some reason. Best midfielder of his era by miles, a game and team-changer
I think you've ever so slightly over rated him there.

Bojan11

Messi leaving on a free and Suarez been told to go. I know Suarez has been shit lately, but still got 16 in 28. Losing both on a free with no money to replace them. They are fecked.

Luke1995

It would be really funny if Suarez goes but Ousmane Dembele stays. I mean, I know Ousmane has had bad luck with injuries, but when he has been on the pitch, he showed only glimpses of his talent.

NoPace

Just copy Ajax and go back to Dutch Barca?

----------------Messi/Tadic--------
Dembele/Neres------------Griezmann/Ziyech
-------------------AM/VanDeBeek
---------------DeJong/DeJong ---------
---------Pjanic/Schone------------------

and I guess Griezmann is more similar to Neres (wide forward) and Dembele to Ziyech (agile creator).

Have to buy a #10 to be the Van De Beek box to box type #10. Havertz probably the best choice but if he's off to Chelsea maybe just Van De Beek himself to help be a coach on the field?

Need a partner for Lenglet too, obviously

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Yes, the PR thing works like a charm. "Pep or Money" thing.

They paid 70 million for a midfielder like Rodri, you think they won't spend 100 million if good attacking player is available?

It has nothing to do with transfer policy, it's all about squad needs. Right now the don't need 100 million player.
Okay Messi may end up at City, but I am confused now, is he has a clause that he can leave for free?. I thought Barcelona would get 100+m just like what Madrid got from Ronaldo sell.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Even if Messi leaves on paper they still have a solid squad, ter Stegen, Semedo, Dembele, Griezmann, Lenglet, de Jong and Coutinho and youngsters Araujo, Puig, Fati, Trincao and Todibo, while keeping Pique and Busi on the bench. If City are interested in Messi and he doesn't walk for free they can negotiate B.Silva/Mahrez and even Jesus in a deal. Depending on how things go in the next couple of years they can look at Kounde or Upamecano.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Okay Messi may end up at City, but I am confused now, is he has a clause that he can leave for free?. I thought Barcelona would get 100+m just like what Madrid got from Ronaldo sell.
He had a clause that expired in June 1 where he could've left for free. However it seems his lawyer are arguing the case since the pandemic and season was extended so his clause should be to. As of now he would cost money to transfer, if his lawyers take this to court and win the case he walks for free.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
With Suarez and Messi gone, I could see Koeman bringing Coutinho back into the fold and build a new forward line from Coutinho, Griezmann and Dembele.

Make sure Ter Stegen is happy, settle on De Jong's place in midfield then figure out the rest from there.

Write off this season for re-developing the team. Hold off on transfers this summer to see what you actually have to work with, then aim for one or two precise transfers in January, and 3-4 more in the summer.

Knowing barca, they will panic buy this summer and Koeman will be told to deliver results post haste.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Poor Trincao, what a day to be introduced

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Barca are stuffed really .Without Messi they lose 10 + points unless they get another player who can just whack in 5-6 FKs into top corners when they're drawing 1-1 at Camp Nou with a few minutes left. Also will lose so much personality with him going.

Bit of a hospital pass for Koeman here.

hubbuh

Do people actually think Messi is gone gone? Seems like another incident in a long line of posturing to further consolidate his position of power at the club. Too much money, too much Covid and insane logistics which surely no one will be arsed with. Be devastating if he ends up at City, though.

RedNed77

Even if Messi leaves on paper they still have a solid squad, ter Stegen, Semedo, Dembele, Griezmann, Lenglet, de Jong and Coutinho and youngsters Araujo, Puig, Fati, Trincao and Todibo, while keeping Pique and Busi on the bench. If City are interested in Messi and he doesn't walk for free they can negotiate B.Silva/Mahrez and even Jesus in a deal. Depending on how things go in the next couple of years they can look at Kounde or Upamecano.
The team plays really well on paper, translating that into reality and a coherent team where everybody puts their ego's and indivduality aside is where the problem is. They just don't seem to gel well enough as a unit for the big occasions. It doesn't help that their talisman, Messi, is prone to let his head go down when its not going well. When his head goes they're rudderless.

Great individuals but its going to take a special manager to make all of that work. From what I've seen and heard of Koeman during his Southampton and Everton days I'm not sure he's that guy.

Letting Messi go might not be a bad start and see how the dynamic changes in the dressing room.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Barca are stuffed really .Without Messi they lose 10 + points unless they get another player who can just whack in 5-6 FKs into top corners when they're drawing 1-1 at Camp Nou with a few minutes left. Also will lose so much personality with him going.

Bit of a hospital pass for Koeman here.
Is hospital pass also an English expression? :lol: (I thought it was a Dutch thing: ziekenhuisbal)

I was thinking that Messi's departure might actually a blessing in disguise for Koeman. If he intends to stay at Barcelona, he'll have to deal with the issue of phasing out Messi sooner or later. Might as well cut the cord and get it over with.

Also, given that Koeman is new as the club's manager, has a different playing style to what they're used to, and needs to change a large part of the squad, his first year was always going to be difficult. With Messi leaving, fans might be a bit more forgiving if the season isn't clearly leading towards a league title and CL final.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just let Messi go if he wants to leave. Not very good when your captain actually said such a thing. Messi is still an unbelievable player even last season him & Ter Stegen both single handily carried the whole team. End of the day it's Barcelona not Messi's team, if Messi is sold, they might be able to finally play Griezmann in the right position. Both are clashing since they both are playing in similar way & role. IMO the key of their rebuilding is down to De Jong playing as a no 6, should build the team around him and play him in the right role.

Icemav

The thing that hurts most is about the fans. They have no patience for young developing players. They want ready made players.
Sadly it applies also to us and you can see it here. They cannot understand that mistakes are part of the learning process
I think after 7 tulmultuous seasons our fans and board are saints by comparison. Somewhat entitled at times but we are talking about a different universe relative to Barca.

Last edited:
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Besides getting new manager and board. Those are the two obvious solutions.

They have glaring squad issues with a lot of old players.

Ter Stegen and De Jong are probably the only two players from todays defeat that have long term futures at the club.

What happens with Messi? If he leaves, how do you even start to replace him. Do they have the finances to spend big? They got Dembele and Griezmann who have done nothing. Suarez isn’t the same player he was.

Do they also start to change their playing style rather than being too focused on trying to replicate tiki taka again. They have a lot of good passers in midfield, but not a lot of runners or any power.

Pique and Alba need replacing in defence. Semedo isn’t good enough long term wise for them.

Replacing one of the best ever players is a hard job alone. They got to also replace about 7 other players alongside him too. It’s a bit like us when Fergie left as manager, we also had to replace about 7 or 8 key players too. I don’t think they will have a massive drop off like ours due to their league, but I don’t see them challenging for the champions league any time soon.
A return to core principles with a CPA who believes in la masia