How do Barcelona rebuild?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Basically been my opinion for nearly two years. Rebuilding would have been nearly impossible with him in the side.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Basically been my opinion for nearly two years. Rebuilding would have been nearly impossible with him in the side.

That's like signing a big player every year. He simply cost them way too much money and it's not like this is a surprise, giving more and more money to a player closer to the end of his career was always gonna be problematic, specially when coupled with shit spending on the rest of the squad. I really hope for his sake he leaves them

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Griezman, dembele, fati, pedri, trincao, dejong, pjanic, lenglet, umtitti, ter stengen
Thats a pretty good basis to build on over the next couple of years... especially when the wages of messi, suarez, rakitic, vidal, busquets and pique go off the books
Hard to see them dropping out of the cl spaces in Spain so provided they are going to give somebody three seasons to build something new they have every opportunity... that said i don't think they will live koeman that time... probably he comes in takes the flack for ditching a bunch of legends then gets a pay off and they bring in a new president / xavi as manager to start the actual rebuild

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I hope no other club helps them get rid of their useless expensive players.

They can sink further by paying the salaries of Messi, Suarez, Vidal, Rakitic, Busquets for another year while none of them still run more than 3km per match.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Really not sold on Wijnaldum but Koeman reportedly is keen on him.
He'd improve your midfield a fair bit.

Not just qualitywise, but in terms of what he has that you lack.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He'd improve your midfield a fair bit.

Not just qualitywise, but in terms of what he has that you lack.
I agree with this. Barcelona is relying on Vidal for dynamism in midfield, when Vidal is years beyond his best by date. Wijnaldum is not the greatest player ever but for what Barca needs he's a step in the right direction. If Bartomeu does the deal it will be odd to see Barcelona actually fill a need, rather than just waste money on an uneeded big name.

Cait Sith

"Rebuild" is always an euphemism for "we are shit but hopefully we'll be good again". Man United is "rebuilding" for 7 years now and Barca will be in a similar spot, except they might not drop out of top 4 in La Liga.

Senior players aside, the likes of Coutinho, Démbéle, Semedo, Griezmann aren't exactly "rebuild" material for a stable team nor is Koeman anything but a midtable manager who got sacked by Everton. He was only hired because he played for Barca once.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
The problem with Barca isn’t Messi though. It’s the 400mil or so they spent on Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann before including other poor transfers.

Makelele

That's like signing a big player every year. He simply cost them way too much money and it's not like this is a surprise, giving more and more money to a player closer to the end of his career was always gonna be problematic, specially when coupled with shit spending on the rest of the squad. I really hope for his sake he leaves them
I would agree in most cases, but how much commercial revenue is Messi producing for Barcelona? Yeah they have always been a massive club, but having perhaps the greatest player of all time, no matter form or age, is just a massive commercial asset that you can actually justify the salary. Let us not act like Barcelona is giving him charity.

As for the rebuild, the best thing they could do, which would be difficult, is to get De Bruyne. He would massivily improve them. A new Laudrup behind the lines.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Ratikic going to Sevilla. Vidal apparently also on his bike.

Looks like it is basically just de Jong, busquets and pjanic. Reckon they will go for gini.

kouroux

I would agree in most cases, but how much commercial revenue is Messi producing for Barcelona? Yeah they have always been a massive club, but having perhaps the greatest player of all time, no matter form or age, is just a massive commercial asset that you can actually justify the salary. Let us not act like Barcelona is giving him charity.

As for the rebuild, the best thing they could do, which would be difficult, is to get De Bruyne. He would massivily improve them. A new Laudrup behind the lines.
I would guess a lot of money but this strategy of having his wages "exponentially" increasing was always come back to bite them at some point. If there is a player who truly earned his wages in football, it's arguably him. I will never blame him for that obviously.

dev1l

The Pjanic deal makes me laugh. What was the thought process behind that one.
Accounting exercise. Both clubs registered a 50m profit from the same transfer. It sounds weird but it could be done. There s a YouTube video explaining it.

Jericho

They're buying Pjanic? I've haven't heard about him in awhile, will he improve them? I'm surprised they're going in for player in his 30's, I thought youth was what they really needed.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sums up how bad they run your club if you need to sign 30 years old to do it.
For a 23 year old who is arguably better, and is not another, worse version of TWO players they already had on their team

Nori-

They need to do what we started doing 18 months ago.

- Start by getting the expensive dead wood/old players off the wage bill. (Already started with Raktic, Turan and Vidal soon).
- Bring in a coach who knows the club inside out and can get the players confidence back (Koeman's a good choice)
- Work on a 70/30% ratio of young (18-25) talent and experienced players (26 - 33), instead of spending £100m+ every summer on expensive high profile flops.
- Build a strong sense of team unity. Not the crazy internal fighting going on now.

Even if they did all that this summer it's not an instant remedy. I think it will take them 2-3 years so get close to their best again.

drmuji

Sell Fati to United. And buy Jack Grealish for 200 million. Build a team around him. Perfect. Ohhh and Lingard can be a perfect replacement for Messi.

Last edited:

Myrecks

They're buying Pjanic? I've haven't heard about him in awhile, will he improve them? I'm surprised they're going in for player in his 30's, I thought youth was what they really needed.
They already bought him and sold Arthur to juve. They did it to balance the books. That should tell you all about what you need to know about how Barcelona are currently being run. Needing to ship of a 23 year old who is pretty good, for a 30 year old.

meamth

Funny how they were so excited having signed Dembele, Griezmann, De Jong, Coutinho...

Now the club is a big mess, messier than we were.

RoyH1

Funny how they were so excited having signed Dembele, Griezmann, De Jong, Coutinho...

I love your pun, but I wouldn't go quite so far. They have yet to smell Europa League participation.

Myrecks

De Jong is as classy as they come. He is an unreal player and will end up showing it when he plays in his position regularly this season. He fits Barcelona's style more than any of the other players you mentioned.

Untd55

I think it would be better to let Messi go now, otherwise, you're just delaying the inevitable.

With their poor spending and financial decisions (needing to take out a loan just to sign Griezmann), on top of Messi's wages, it is a recipe for disaster. It could cause a lot more damage if they continue on like this.

Better to let him go and recover financially. It will allow them to get rid of Bartomeu (or whatever his name is) sooner, and get onto a path of recovery. Better to take the hit to performances now rather than later.

Libano

Even if they end up selling Messi, they will probably have to pay parts of his wages until the end of his original contract. No club in the world would be stupid enough to pay a 33 year old 84 million a year. Not even if it's Messi.

In hindsight, this was perfectly predictable.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Even if they end up selling Messi, they will probably have to pay parts of his wages until the end of his original contract. No club in the world would be stupid enough to pay a 33 year old 84 million a year. Not even if it's Messi.

No way that's going to happen. Why would they pay a part of his wage when he himself considers that he is no longer under contract?

As for Wijnaldum, he might be a good player but he is also thirty, and then two years from now they will have another Vidal/Rakitić situation on their hands. If they really insist on buying him then offer 2 years contract and draw a line. One of the main reasons for their current predicament is handing out huge contracts to declining/over the hill players.

romufc

The 84 million is not a based on salary only, this includes all the bonuses, image rights etc...

Messi comes with alot of media hype, fans which in turn will benefit the club. Messi playing for City will see more fans as fans will want to go watch Messi play = more revenue.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

what are you on about, city will pay all of Messi’s wages, this isn’t a loan

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It's also not a "barca want rid" situation. The player wants to leave.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They are not short of young blood, though, are they? The hiccup won’t last long, one or two years at worst imho.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
More than a club my ass. I am not against selling/releasing club legends. If you are good you play, if you are not it is time to go. Simple as that. Club comes first and is bigger than any player or coach or president. But the way how they are doing it is disgrace for such a big club.
Rakitic and Suarez are their two best buys in this decade. Rakitic is 4th on all time list with appearances for the club among foreign players. Suarez is one of best goalscorers in history. They were part of first 11 in last 6 years and won everything. And now when they are not good enough for them they tell them that by calling them on a phone. It was literally; "feck off".
Show some class ffs.

kouroux

They need to do what we started doing 18 months ago.

- Start by getting the expensive dead wood/old players off the wage bill. (Already started with Raktic, Turan and Vidal soon).
- Bring in a coach who knows the club inside out and can get the players confidence back (Koeman's a good choice)
- Work on a 70/30% ratio of young (18-25) talent and experienced players (26 - 33), instead of spending £100m+ every summer on expensive high profile flops.
- Build a strong sense of team unity. Not the crazy internal fighting going on now.

Even if they did all that this summer it's not an instant remedy. I think it will take them 2-3 years so get close to their best again.
He's still on their books :eek: ?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Not really. They got 80+ points in la Liga every year, get to latter stages of the champions League every year.

Yeah, they're acting like a complete club rebuild is needed, but in reality theyre still in a better position now than we are (7 years after SAF retired)

Pep's Suit

Barca moving Vidal, Suarez and Rakitic for free. Damn. So basically Messi's their only player they can sell, right now? Coutinho, Dembele or Griezmann would only leave on loan, I guess.