How do Barcelona rebuild?

Tallis

not even remotely true. He wants a competitive team for CL, he will be taking a paycut with psg or city, he knows with covid every team is going to have issue throwing crazy money out there. He wants a proper backline behind him.
How much pay cut is he currently being forced to take at Barca ? Will the PSG or City wages be below his discounted wages at Barca or his full wages ?

Have PSG or City been consistently winning CLs ? Why not join Atletico or Juventus or Bayern or Liverpool ?

Is it a little strange that you feel so confident that you understand his motivations ? You saw in my post that I hedged my view rather than being definitive.

SwedishFish

How much pay cut is he currently being forced to take at Barca ? Will the PSG or City wages be below his discounted wages at Barca or his full wages ?

Have PSG or City been consistently winning CLs ? Why not join Atletico or Juventus or Bayern or Liverpool ?

Is it a little strange that you feel so confident that you understand his motivations ? You saw in my post that I hedged my view rather than being definitive.
As there is no Transfer Fee involved I'd assume they'd be able to set up a decent package for him considering the amount of revenue he'd bring in by going there.

Atletico, Juventus, Bayern or Liverpool wouldn't pay his wages, Bayern already publicly came out and said so.

I very much doubt he'd take a pay-cut at this stage in his career to go anywhere else, there are takers even with the silly wages he's on.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Sell Pique, Griezmann, allow Messi to leave free, offload Dembele + Countinho (fire sale prices) then utilise La Masia
This is what I was thinking. Surely no matter how dire their finances are/inflated their first team wages have gotten, any rebuild will surely massively benefit from such a good youth setup.

Add to this that their playing in a league whose organizers/governing body won't allow them to fall too far. It's probably in everyone's best interest in Spain for both Real and Barca to not be going through too much of a rebuild simultaneously.

Sylar

Sell Pique, Griezmann, allow Messi to leave free, offload Dembele + Countinho (fire sale prices) then utilise La Masia
Yep. You would think a few additions to that from the money saved and youth would still get them CL football in that league by beating the lesser teams

Tallis

As there is no Transfer Fee involved I'd assume they'd be able to set up a decent package for him considering the amount of revenue he'd bring in by going there.

Atletico, Juventus, Bayern or Liverpool wouldn't pay his wages, Bayern already publicly came out and said so.

I very much doubt he'd take a pay-cut at this stage in his career to go anywhere else, there are takers even with the silly wages he's on.
I don’t disagree. I was just questioning the assertion that Messi was moving to maximise his chances of winning the CL and taking a pay cut to help facilitate the move. If he really wanted to win the CL, he should take a 50 percent pay cut and ask Bayern to sign him which they will at that expense especially considering the money he will bring in.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They really should have cashed in on Messi in the summer and used that money to start their rebuild. They are in shambles...
Yeah I'm not sure I understood the thinking behind forcing him to stay. Maybe they thought with him in the team they could squeeze out one extra league title before starting the rebuild. Getting his contract off the books should give them some wiggle room. Can't believe they spent over £400m on Griezmann, Coutinho and Dembele.

Last edited:

SwedishFish

I don’t disagree. I was just questioning the assertion that Messi was moving to maximise his chances of winning the CL and taking a pay cut to help facilitate the move. If he really wanted to win the CL, he should take a 50 percent pay cut and ask Bayern to sign him which they will at that expense especially considering the money he will bring in.
Not disagreeing with you either, I don't think it's all about money for him but if he'd leave his beloved Barca then I'm confident he'd never take a big pay cut.

The wages are simply too daunting to take on for all but a select few considering he's entering the twilight of his career.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I don’t think it’s actually possible to sell Griezman. The dude is on around 800k per week and has many years left on his contract. He would be lucky to find a club willing to pay him even half of that.

Lee565

I don’t think it’s actually possible to sell Griezman. The dude is on around 800k per week and has many years left on his contract. He would be lucky to find a club willing to pay him even half of that.
He'll be the next player they will have to pay off to get out of the club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Accept that they can't pay these stupid wages in the future, take the hit and wait for these contracts to end or unload however they can. Get some sort of normal sustainable wage structure and get rid of all those outside of it, however possible (or get them within it). Accept that they'll be shit for a bit while they transition into a better run football club. Stop spending 100m+ on flops. They've got a very tough period ahead of them, Messi has kept them afloat for the past 5 years pretty much but they're going to be hurting really badly when he leaves.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
„Selling“ those players will probably generate only minimal fees since they are on massive wages no other club will meet. You can get their wages off of your book via breakup fees but don’t expect income from those sales.

iKnowNothing

Griezman is on 800k? What were Barca thinking :eek:

edit:
Assuming Messi leaves for free, given their current finances, can Barca still pay these obscene wages? Not considering any new transfers of course.

Stacks

*Paris Saint Germain has entered the chat*
„Selling“ those players will probably generate only minimal fees since they are on massive wages no other club will meet. You can get their wages off of your book via breakup fees but don’t expect income from those sales.
Its mainly to sort their wage bill out. Messi on 1.3million Euros, Griezmann on 881k, Dembele 230k Pique 230k. They managed to get rid of Suarez. Deals can always be done.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Its mainly to sort their wage bill out. Messi on 1.3million Euros, Griezmann on 881k, Dembele 230k Pique 230k. They managed to get rid of Suarez. Deals can always be done.
i agree. Simply wanted to emphasize that they can only hope to get them off of their books and not expect transfer fees.

Hulksmash

Messi is not on 1,2M a week. He's on 2,6M + 200K bonuses per Week.

The Problem Is not only Messi but Griezmann Pique Alba Busquets. How u sell them? Noone wants them

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Only PSG and City can afford him due to FFP. Bayern have spent their budget on Upamecano. Liverpool couldn't even afford Timo Werner let alone Messi. For the best combination of decent wage and realistic CL opportunity it would have to be City and PSG. No other team will be in the mix.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Only PSG and City can afford him due to FFP. Bayern have spent their budget on Upamecano. Liverpool couldn't even afford Timo Werner let alone Messi. For the best combination of decent wage and realistic CL opportunity it would have to be City and PSG. No other team will be in the mix.
Are you their CFO or how do you know? Nonetheless, they are not signing Messi.

GoldanoGraham

How have they been able to get into this financial position?

Surely the accounts/spending must have been questioned and audited - giving out these insane contracts/wages is like buying into a Ponzi scheme - this one has fallen apart because of COVID but the finances of this great club have been managed by amateurs....

we know ourselves from the Sanchez debacle that huge wages is the killer and not the transfer fee - if Greizmann is on £800k a week then that is insanity - as for the Messi contract - that is unbelievable.

How has FFP not got involved?

anyhow - the first thing that will help Barca will be getting Messi off their books - it definitely looks like a separation is needed from both sides.

a tough few seasons ahead for Barca

sourdough satellite

Not disagreeing with you either, I don't think it's all about money for him but if he'd leave his beloved Barca then I'm confident he'd never take a big pay cut.

The wages are simply too daunting to take on for all but a select few considering he's entering the twilight of his career.
He might not have a choice; he's out of contract in the summer so he'll take whatever the highest offer he can get.

SwedishFish

He might not have a choice; he's out of contract in the summer so he'll take whatever the highest offer he can get.
There will certainly be teams who can offer him what he earns at Barcelona. Or set him up with a massive sign-on bonus to even it out.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Looks as if they quietly secured their future in the span of half a year. This could be the axis of the upcoming decade:

---Fati--------------------?-------------------------Trincao--- Dembele
------------Pedri-----------------Moriba/Puig-------------
-----------------------De Jong----------------------------------
--?-----------Mingueza--Araujo---------------Dest----- Firpo
-----------------------------?---------------------------------------

This squad even is quite adaptable. Could go all in on tiki taka with Pedri. Puig, de Jong in midfield or they could add a box to box element with Moriba. If Dembele comes good, he could replace Trincao.

La Masia bailed the out like a cheat code again. And they also still got Ter Stegen, Griezmann, Lenglet playing short to mid term, maybe even longer.

Bartomeu gone and Laporta in as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Looks as if they quietly secured their future in the span of half a year. This could be the axis of the upcoming decade:

---Fati--------------------?-------------------------Trincao---
------------Pedri-----------------Moriba/Puig-------------
-----------------------De Jong----------------------------------
--?-----------Mingueza--Araujo---------------Dest-----
In hindsight, I’m not sure thing things were ever as bleak as they were made out to be. Once they get some big salaries off their wage budget they’ll be able to compete for the high-end talents financially again. They also don’t have a completely incompetent board as well.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In hindsight, I’m not sure thing things were ever as bleak as they were made out to be. Once they get some big salaries off their wage budget they’ll be able to compete for the high-end talents financially again. They also don’t have a completely incompetent board as well.
Well nobody expected Moriba, Pedri, Mingueza and Araujo would play an important role. Dest and Trincao were also not really expected to become starters and Dembele and to a lesser extent de Jong didn't really live up to their reputation either. So I think it really looked dull for them in the summer.

And not to forget, Coutinho is a complete waste of hundreds of millions, Griezmann looked like he'd be the next one and Dembele was out injured all the time. That's probably around 500m more or less flushed down the toilet if you consider fees and salaries. I doubt if they expected them to perform to the level they did, the investment would've been worth 200m for them. Add to that the 1bn in debt, partly due in the short term and it really didn't look promising.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They might even sneak a league title in what is supposed to be an over the hill team going through a rebuild/transition.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

Well nobody expected Moriba, Pedri, Mingueza and Araujo would play an important role. Dest and Trincao were also not really expected to become starters and Dembele and to a lesser extent de Jong didn't really live up to their reputation either. So I think it really looked dull for them in the summer.

And not to forget, Coutinho is a complete waste of hundreds of millions, Griezmann looked like he'd be the next one and Dembele was out injured all the time. That's probably around 500m more or less flushed down the toilet if you consider fees and salaries. I doubt if they expected them to perform to the level they did, the investment would've been worth 200m for them. Add to that the 1bn in debt, partly due in the short term and it really didn't look promising.
We'd be remiss for not also mentioning that Koeman has done a fine job in changing the system to the 3-5-2. It's worked wonders for their transitioning out of the press through the wing-back. It's put Messi back in the right positions to do damage and De Jong has been insanely good in his less restricted role in midfield.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
They might win the double despite all the problems and bad results during parts of the season.

They've got a stacked squad with a lot of quality, best in La Liga, even if they've got ageing players and lots of debt. They should really be winning the league.

Just feel they're so badly run there wouldn't be any justice in them winning anything this season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We'd be remiss for not also mentioning that Koeman has done a fine job in changing the system to the 3-5-2. It's worked wonders for their transitioning out of the press through the wing-back. It's put Messi back in the right positions to do damage and De Jong has been insanely good in his less restricted role in midfield.
He's built a fine platform for Arteta to continue from :wenger:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Only 4 points behind and Atleti still have to play at the nou camp

JBD-dane

I get that Messi is on a high salary and people see him as a burden but has anyone so much insight into the clubs numbers that they can say he generate a net negative income?
They might would have been in an even worse financial situation without him.

tomaldinho1

It's a really good example of actually seeing a coach improve a team over the course of a season and put into place a system that works for the players at his disposal. Barca were all over the shop early season but their form is now unbelievable, they're keeping clean sheets and I really rate some of the younger players coming through.

Hoof the ball

It's a really good example of actually seeing a coach improve a team over the course of a season and put into place a system that works for the players at his disposal. Barca were all over the shop early season but their form is now unbelievable, they're keeping clean sheets and I really rate some of the younger players coming through.
Agreed. Also, I firmly believe that had Fati not suffered the major injury in November that Barca would be top of the league by now. Despite initial difficulties tactically, Fati was individually thriving and it's easy to see that he would have won them a few points in games they otherwise dropped points in between November and now.

Also, 1st leg aside, their 2nd leg performance versus PSG spoke volumes about their improvement as a team. They could, and should, have won that game had someone other than Dembele found themselves on the end of those chances/half-chances.

La Masia has come through for them big time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yes, Koeman deserves credit, especially since he started with much negativity. Curious if he's allowed to continue but so far it would be very difficult to justify appointing a different coach.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
So is there any talk of Messi renewing now that the president situation has been resolved? Or have the talks been shelved till the season is over?

Hoof the ball

Yes, Koeman deserves credit, especially since he started with much negativity. Curious if he's allowed to continue but so far it would be very difficult to justify appointing a different coach.
I think it was Font who said that Koeman would be out if he came in. As far as Laporta is concerned it's probable that Koeman stays given the overall improvement in performances and results.

Though, there are rumours floating around that the hierarchy are interested in Nagelsmann as a tactical fit for the sporting direction of the club.